Can Cory Littleton take the next step at LB?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Let's say we do end up cutting Barron to save money. What did you guys think of Littleton's play this year when he was in? Could he replace Barron or would we need to go outside the organization in either FA or draft to replace him??

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I felt Littleton is not as good in coverage so he will have to work on that aspect of his game as Barron being a converted safety does a nice job in that area of his game.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I think Littleton Played well, but I would like to see Barron stick around one more year anyway!

fearsomefour

Legend
I liked Littleton this year.
I am cutting Quinn and signing Davis off the Broncos.
Longacre/Davis/Ogletree/Littleton....or Barron

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
I dunno, not enough play time. I think he's just a serviceable backup IMO. He didn't really 'flash' like Quinn or Donald did their first year in the league. Time will tell.

CanadaRam

No guts, No glory.
Name
Andrew
For Rams to make the next step, the need players like Littleton to step up.
You can't pay everyone.

For the $ spent on LBs this year, there was not the return.

Barwin, Quinn, Ogletree and Barron = decent, not dominant.
Much too expensive.

Hopefully Ebukam and Littleton can take on more.

The big $ need to go to difference makers.

Right now Donald, Gurley and Goff are on the cheap.
The $ to pay them will have to come from many places, including LB

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
I think Littleton did great this last season for a rookie. I also want to steal Josh Forrest back from the Seahawks.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
No telling tbh. Coming out he was raw, guy who had moved all over, but who wasn't a great athlete nor did he play with great leverage around the LOS. He's improved a lot under this staff but for right now it's not like you can rely on the guy and say "if we cut Barron this guy will give us a boost."

I have to think the Rams are going to be all over the LBs in this draft. Both the interior and edge types. They need help badly at both.

WestCoastRam

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
For the $ spent on LBs this year, there was not the return.

This is about the succinctest argument I've read for why many of us are for dumping Barron even though he played quite well if not lights-out.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
This is about the succinctest argument I've read for why many of us are for dumping Barron even though he played quite well if not lights-out.

Because Fans are unrealistic for the most part. No one really understands how to run a business let alone a football team. Including myself.

CanadaRam

No guts, No glory.
Name
Andrew
Rams had 33.6M (or 21.4%) of salary cap invested on LBs in 2017.
Second highest in the NFL.

Right now they have 38M invested in LBs for 2018. Without Barwin (who is a FA). Quinn, Ogletree and Barron are scheduled to count 34M. Massive financial investment in one position group.
For that type of investment, you must get difference making performance for teams to stay at the top. Rams are just not getting that from those guys.

Ram65

Legend
Rams had 33.6M (or 21.4%) of salary cap invested on LBs in 2017.
Second highest in the NFL.

Right now they have 38M invested in LBs for 2018. Without Barwin (who is a FA). Quinn, Ogletree and Barron are scheduled to count 34M. Massive financial investment in one position group.
For that type of investment, you must get difference making performance for teams to stay at the top. Rams are just not getting that from those guys.

The didn't get a great return on their investment.

Littleton has a ways to go. Good backup for now.

CanadaRam

No guts, No glory.
Name
Andrew
The didn't get a great return on their investment.

Littleton has a ways to go. Good backup for now.

Continual long term success in the NFL usually have 3 things in common: good coaching, good QB and good drafting.
You must draft well (and get good URFA rookies) to keep overall payroll manageable.
Littleton may or may not take the next step, but Rams need to find low-cost contributors throughout the roster. It is needed at LB. We can't pay 3 guys over 10M each per year, unless the group really dominates.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I dunno, not enough play time. I think he's just a serviceable backup IMO. He didn't really 'flash' like Quinn or Donald did their first year in the league. Time will tell.

It’s not a question of playing at a All Pro level. That said he did win rookie of the year last season from his team mates over Goff .

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I think Littleton Played well, but I would like to see Barron stick around one more year anyway!

You have to look at the big picture.You have to be able to afford a trophy wife.

I look back at Baron on the biggest miss cue against Atlanta on a short pass that He did not make. I know he was hurt all season though & I’ll leave this to Wade & LBer coach in Joe Barry. These guys have the balls to make the hard decisions either way.
McVay trust them in this decision as well as the front office.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Continual long term success in the NFL usually have 3 things in common: good coaching, good QB and good drafting.
You must draft well (and get good URFA rookies) to keep overall payroll manageable.
Littleton may or may not take the next step, but Rams need to find low-cost contributors throughout the roster. It is needed at LB. We can't pay 3 guys over 10M each per year, unless the group really dominates.

Well one thing for sure is Les Snead & his scouts have always done an excellent job at that.

Morgan Fox,Longacre, & Westbrooks are just a couple examples.

Another example is Les Knowing where the value is on certain players.I think Big Rob Havenstein was a reach & of courseGreg ROBINSON A a disaster.With The Kromer helping scout & evaluate The Offensive Lineman is in a good position.

The killer has been trading up even trading for Jared Goff put The Rams future a couple of years behind. Keenum & Foles have proven they were very cost friendly QB’s you could win with.I know Jared Goff is still very young & a top ranked QB & will have a lot better career moving forward.Plus he is a team player & not all about the $$$$ money.

CanadaRam

No guts, No glory.
Name
Andrew
Rams with Snead have been very good at drafting and finding players.
Contract extensions not so good. Is this Demoff or Snead or both, I am not as sure.

I am sure that I will not be making friends with all, but here goes:

Laurianitis 42M for 5 years in 2012
Quinn 66M for 6 years in 2014 (a bit unlucky here)
Tavon 42M for 4 years in 2016
TruJo 31M for 2 years (franchise tags)
Barron 45M for 5 years in 2016
Ogletree 43M for 4 years in 2017 (too early to tell)

All good D players (and the Tavon mistake).
Rams have had to overpay to keep there players. Might have been no choice when they kept losing.
Now that the future is so much brighter, really have to challenge if any of these are contracts that we would resign.
Rams have been spending at the cap every year, so no additional money is available.

The type of challenging questions that must be asked going forward are hard ones such as 20M/year for Barron and Ogletree or Donald and Littleton at about the same 20M (I know Donald is not a LB).

Spend the money wisely, continue to draft well, keep McVay and Goff and the Rams will be excellent for a long time.

Name
Rod
Think Barwin & Quinn are gone unless they take massive pay-cuts. Actually, I don't think Quinn fits Wades defense. Linebacker was a real weakness for the Rams this year, look for big changes. I really believe with some key changes the Rams are positioned for some real defensive improvements this year. Keep your eye on Ebukum his blazing speed will eventually prove the raw talent this guy has.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
Because Fans are unrealistic for the most part. No one really understands how to run a business let alone a football team. Including myself.
I wouldn't say that none of us know how to run a business. Not an NFL franchise, but I'm sure there are several here who either do run a business someone else owns or own a successful business themselves.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
I wouldn't say that none of us know how to run a business. Not an NFL franchise, but I'm sure there are several here who either do run a business someone else owns or own a successful business themselves.

True, I'm speaking in generalities.