Can Cashman get some Kudos?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
I realize the Yankees are down 2-0 to the Astros. I understand it's a long shot they advance any further. I know most non-Yankee baseball fans hate the Yankees for various reasons. Success, money, or whatever. But man, what Brian Cashman has done to the organization is looking pretty good.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/21016204/yankees-built-many-octobers-come
HOUSTON -- Perhaps the greatest losses in the history of the New York Yankees occurred at the end of July 2016. Yankees owner Hal Steinbrenner had hemmed and hawed about putting up a white flag on the season and needed a little more convincing. General manager Brian Cashman's insistence was not enough.

In this case, inaction was better than words.

The Yankees, with an older, going-nowhere roster, were swept by the Tampa Bay Rays at Tropicana Field in front of their owner.

The owner was finally ready to take the vision laid out to him by his GM. The Yankees would never say they put up a white flag, but in dealing Andrew Miller, Aroldis Chapman, Carlos Beltran and Ivan Nova, the team basically surrendered the 2016 season -- and it is beyond obvious that this was the right decision.

The losses to the Rays -- in which Nova, Nathan Eovaldi and Michael Pineda were the losing pitchers -- pushed Steinbrenner over the edge.

"I think it [the series against the Rays] influenced the people above me more," Cashman said shortly after the 2016 trade deadline. "The inconsistency of our club reared its ugly head. A true playoff contender wouldn't have done that."

Steinbrenner signed off, but he guided Cashman on the path that has led the Yankees to the 2017 American League Championship Series. Steinbrenner told Cashman to execute his plan and reload the farm system, but simultaneously keep the team competitive in an attempt to sneak into the playoffs.

Cashman brought back ex-Yankees relievers Adam Warren and Tyler Clippard, who could help, though they were not Miller and Chapman.

The Yankees did not make the playoffs, but the rebuild and reload game plan was fully hatched.

That is how the Yankees have arrived so quickly back in the playoffs, where they currently trail the Houston Astros 2-0 in the ALCS. But while the Astros completely tore their team down to rebuild, suffering through three straight seasons with 106 or more losses from 2011-2013, the Yankees never tanked. In fact, the Yankees haven't even had a sub-.500 season since 1992, a truly remarkable string, high payroll or not.

For the rest of baseball, the scariest part of Cashman's execution is that there is another wave in the farm system behind this current group. Plus, the Yankees are about to reduce payroll next year to drop under the luxury threshold, with the real possibility that they could be big free-agent players after 2018 when stars such as Bryce Harper and Manny Machado could be available.

With the offseason trade of catcher Brian McCann to the Astros included, the Yankees received 14 prospects in their rebuild that began after Steinbrenner watched that Tropicana sweep and allowed Cashman to basically punt 2016.

The haul included three top prospects: outfielder Clint Frazier, infielder Gleyber Torres and starter Justus Sheffield, none of whom are on the playoff roster. Frazier is the only one who has made the majors.

In other words, this is just the start.

"We hope so," Cashman said. "Sports can change things. Injuries. There are a lot of things, and that is why you have to grasp the moment when it comes. The Mets, going into the season, had a great team on paper, and then injuries hit. You see what is going on with my New York Giants [in the NFL]."

Cashman's peers have long considered him one of the best GMs in the game. However, given the advantages of the Core Four dynasty and the money the Yankees can spend, he hasn't received full marks from the media and fans. He has claimed that he doesn't truly care, as long as the Yankees win. Now, he may receive his full due, because this is his plan, and he is pressing the gas pedal.

He has put together this team in a masterful way, especially how he has exhausted all means to put a young base around a solid, but not spectacular, group of veterans.

Behind the plate, Cashman signed Gary Sanchez out of the Dominican as a 16-year-old at the urging of former vice president of player development Mark Newman. At first base, Cashman took Greg Bird in the fifth round out of high school in the 2011 draft, after the GM's amateur scouting department, led by Damon Oppenheimer, studied Bird's sweet swing in the Colorado high school scene.

At second base, Cashman essentially acquired Starlin Castro for free, trading Warren for him. The Yankees then reacquired Warren as a throw-in when they dealt Chapman to the Cubs last July for prospects, which included Torres.

After last season, the Yankees re-signed Chapman as a free agent for five years and $86 million. Essentially, for 2017, Cashman picked up Castro, Chapman and Warren for only money.

In 2014, the Yankees were on a mission to find the retiring Derek Jeter's replacement. Their super scout, Tim Naehring, gave Didi Gregorius a top rating, even though he wasn't even playing every day for the Arizona Diamondbacks. Cashman desperately tried to deal for Gregorius but couldn't find a match with his buddy Dave Stewart, who was Arizona's GM at the time. Finally, Cashman brought then-Tigers GM Dave Dombrowski into the picture and worked a three-team trade that sent pitcher Shane Greene to Detroit, while Gregorius went east from Phoenix to the Bronx. He has been the Yankees' shortstop since 2015.

Aaron Judge was drafted after 31 picks went by in the 2013 draft, including the Yankees' first selection. The Yankees chose Notre Dame third baseman Eric Jagielo seven picks before they snapped up Judge. Cashman used Jagielo, as part of a discounted price, to acquire Chapman from the Cincinnati Reds when Chapman was under investigation for domestic violence in the winter prior to the 2016 season.

In center field, Cashman essentially erased the $153 million mistake of a contract the team gave to Jacoby Ellsbury by stealing Aaron Hicks in November 2015 for a backup catcher named John Ryan Murphy. After struggling in his first year with the Yankees, Hicks, the 14th pick in the 2008 draft, has excelled to the point that he is starting playoff games in center over Ellsbury.

In 2014, the Yankees signed starter Luis Severino at the recommendation of international scouting director Donny Rowland. With Newman leading the charge, the Yankees had to pay Severino only a $225,000 bonus.

Last offseason, the Yankees could have set their sights on 2018 or 2019, but instead, using their two-pronged approach, they gave Chapman the big contract with the idea of winning now, while building for later.

"We are not going to assume the next three to five years are going to be perfect," Cashman said. "We have to put the pedal to the metal every which way we can. Storm clouds are always brewing. You can't guarantee anything."

That is true, but the Yankees are built for this October, and many more to come.

That was a pretty good article.

I really hope they don't sign Machado or Harper. Crazy right? I'd prefer they keep the mojo they're building with the young guys there and the young guys coming up. If they want to spend money, buy pitching.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I gotta give the Yankees credit: they rebuilt the right way, and they're in the playoffs because of it.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Yankees are definitely getting Manny Machado.
Only thing is that his name in Gleyber Torres....

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I realize the Yankees are down 2-0 to the Astros. I understand it's a long shot they advance any further. I know most non-Yankee baseball fans hate the Yankees for various reasons. Success, money, or whatever. But man, what Brian Cashman has done to the organization is looking pretty good.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/21016204/yankees-built-many-octobers-come
HOUSTON -- Perhaps the greatest losses in the history of the New York Yankees occurred at the end of July 2016. Yankees owner Hal Steinbrenner had hemmed and hawed about putting up a white flag on the season and needed a little more convincing. General manager Brian Cashman's insistence was not enough.

In this case, inaction was better than words.

The Yankees, with an older, going-nowhere roster, were swept by the Tampa Bay Rays at Tropicana Field in front of their owner.

The owner was finally ready to take the vision laid out to him by his GM. The Yankees would never say they put up a white flag, but in dealing Andrew Miller, Aroldis Chapman, Carlos Beltran and Ivan Nova, the team basically surrendered the 2016 season -- and it is beyond obvious that this was the right decision.

The losses to the Rays -- in which Nova, Nathan Eovaldi and Michael Pineda were the losing pitchers -- pushed Steinbrenner over the edge.

"I think it [the series against the Rays] influenced the people above me more," Cashman said shortly after the 2016 trade deadline. "The inconsistency of our club reared its ugly head. A true playoff contender wouldn't have done that."

Steinbrenner signed off, but he guided Cashman on the path that has led the Yankees to the 2017 American League Championship Series. Steinbrenner told Cashman to execute his plan and reload the farm system, but simultaneously keep the team competitive in an attempt to sneak into the playoffs.

Cashman brought back ex-Yankees relievers Adam Warren and Tyler Clippard, who could help, though they were not Miller and Chapman.

The Yankees did not make the playoffs, but the rebuild and reload game plan was fully hatched.

That is how the Yankees have arrived so quickly back in the playoffs, where they currently trail the Houston Astros 2-0 in the ALCS. But while the Astros completely tore their team down to rebuild, suffering through three straight seasons with 106 or more losses from 2011-2013, the Yankees never tanked. In fact, the Yankees haven't even had a sub-.500 season since 1992, a truly remarkable string, high payroll or not.

For the rest of baseball, the scariest part of Cashman's execution is that there is another wave in the farm system behind this current group. Plus, the Yankees are about to reduce payroll next year to drop under the luxury threshold, with the real possibility that they could be big free-agent players after 2018 when stars such as Bryce Harper and Manny Machado could be available.

With the offseason trade of catcher Brian McCann to the Astros included, the Yankees received 14 prospects in their rebuild that began after Steinbrenner watched that Tropicana sweep and allowed Cashman to basically punt 2016.

The haul included three top prospects: outfielder Clint Frazier, infielder Gleyber Torres and starter Justus Sheffield, none of whom are on the playoff roster. Frazier is the only one who has made the majors.

In other words, this is just the start.

"We hope so," Cashman said. "Sports can change things. Injuries. There are a lot of things, and that is why you have to grasp the moment when it comes. The Mets, going into the season, had a great team on paper, and then injuries hit. You see what is going on with my New York Giants [in the NFL]."

Cashman's peers have long considered him one of the best GMs in the game. However, given the advantages of the Core Four dynasty and the money the Yankees can spend, he hasn't received full marks from the media and fans. He has claimed that he doesn't truly care, as long as the Yankees win. Now, he may receive his full due, because this is his plan, and he is pressing the gas pedal.

He has put together this team in a masterful way, especially how he has exhausted all means to put a young base around a solid, but not spectacular, group of veterans.

Behind the plate, Cashman signed Gary Sanchez out of the Dominican as a 16-year-old at the urging of former vice president of player development Mark Newman. At first base, Cashman took Greg Bird in the fifth round out of high school in the 2011 draft, after the GM's amateur scouting department, led by Damon Oppenheimer, studied Bird's sweet swing in the Colorado high school scene.

At second base, Cashman essentially acquired Starlin Castro for free, trading Warren for him. The Yankees then reacquired Warren as a throw-in when they dealt Chapman to the Cubs last July for prospects, which included Torres.

After last season, the Yankees re-signed Chapman as a free agent for five years and $86 million. Essentially, for 2017, Cashman picked up Castro, Chapman and Warren for only money.

In 2014, the Yankees were on a mission to find the retiring Derek Jeter's replacement. Their super scout, Tim Naehring, gave Didi Gregorius a top rating, even though he wasn't even playing every day for the Arizona Diamondbacks. Cashman desperately tried to deal for Gregorius but couldn't find a match with his buddy Dave Stewart, who was Arizona's GM at the time. Finally, Cashman brought then-Tigers GM Dave Dombrowski into the picture and worked a three-team trade that sent pitcher Shane Greene to Detroit, while Gregorius went east from Phoenix to the Bronx. He has been the Yankees' shortstop since 2015.

Aaron Judge was drafted after 31 picks went by in the 2013 draft, including the Yankees' first selection. The Yankees chose Notre Dame third baseman Eric Jagielo seven picks before they snapped up Judge. Cashman used Jagielo, as part of a discounted price, to acquire Chapman from the Cincinnati Reds when Chapman was under investigation for domestic violence in the winter prior to the 2016 season.

In center field, Cashman essentially erased the $153 million mistake of a contract the team gave to Jacoby Ellsbury by stealing Aaron Hicks in November 2015 for a backup catcher named John Ryan Murphy. After struggling in his first year with the Yankees, Hicks, the 14th pick in the 2008 draft, has excelled to the point that he is starting playoff games in center over Ellsbury.

In 2014, the Yankees signed starter Luis Severino at the recommendation of international scouting director Donny Rowland. With Newman leading the charge, the Yankees had to pay Severino only a $225,000 bonus.

Last offseason, the Yankees could have set their sights on 2018 or 2019, but instead, using their two-pronged approach, they gave Chapman the big contract with the idea of winning now, while building for later.

"We are not going to assume the next three to five years are going to be perfect," Cashman said. "We have to put the pedal to the metal every which way we can. Storm clouds are always brewing. You can't guarantee anything."

That is true, but the Yankees are built for this October, and many more to come.

That was a pretty good article.

I really hope they don't sign Machado or Harper. Crazy right? I'd prefer they keep the mojo they're building with the young guys there and the young guys coming up. If they want to spend money, buy pitching.

I totally agree with this article. Cushman has done a remarkable job. I hope this causes Hal and the rainforest to give him more slack with his decisions. Hal has put the clamps on Cash way too often in the past. Last year's trade deadline was a perfect storm. Two top teams that were desperate for closers, and the Yankees had two. I don't know why they ever let Robinson move on. I am glad to have him and Kahnle back.

And yes, getting Machado or Harper would be a mistake. They don't need them. Both can be distractions for different reasons. Machado has been known to complain, and Harper loves the spotlight. Spend the money on Tanaka and a two or three year pitching rental. The Yankees farm system is loaded with pitching prospects right now. They just need time to grow. Guzman, Abreu, Taint, Adams, and others are potential front end starters. They have Severino and Gray for 3-4 years. Montgomery could get rookie pitcher of the year and Tanaka and CC should be signed. Lock up the bullpen and with a year of experience they are good to go, with the same personnel.

It sucks that Gleyber Torres has an injury to rehab. He would have been replacing Castro next season at second. They have a very good hitting Miguel Andujar playing third in triple A. I love what Todd Frazier brings to the team but Andujar looks to be a much better hitter. I think Frazier gets signed for another season, to allow Andujar to continue working on defense next season.

Cash will try to unload Ellsbury this winter. Good luck with that. He peddled Els and Gardner to any team that would listen last winter. Good thing they all passed on Brett. There is a glut in the outfield though with Clint Frazier waiting in the wings. Hicks was great in regular season. He needs to step up in these playoffs.

Bird is a future All star if he can stay healthy. He, Judge and Sanchez are just the beginning.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
@Elmgrovegnome
Great post.
Pretty sure CC comes back. And I’m not convinced Tanaka will opt out. If he does, they gotta let him go.
I’m in the minority but I’d like to see Pineda get another chance.
Torres needs another year so I’d sign up for another year of the Todd Father at 3rd.
I think Andujar will be trade bait for a starter or included in a trade to get rid of Ells
Cash was on radio yesterday and they are he.ll bent on getting below the tax level

PARAM

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
@Elmgrovegnome
Great post.
Pretty sure CC comes back. And I’m not convinced Tanaka will opt out. If he does, they gotta let him go.
I’m in the minority but I’d like to see Pineda get another chance.
Torres needs another year so I’d sign up for another year of the Todd Father at 3rd.
I think Andujar will be trade bait for a starter or included in a trade to get rid of Ells
Cash was on radio yesterday and they are he.ll bent on getting below the tax level

The question with C.C. is, will he take a sizable pay cut? I don't think Tanaka opts out. It's the right move if you're looking for a big contract and people usually only remember what you've done for them lately, so they might not remember what a horrible year he had. I think he stays in NY. Pineda is still relatively young (28) and he's 31-31 for the Yankees. If he learned how to close out an inning he might be 45-17. I wouldn't be upset if he's given another chance but IIRC, his contract is up. How much do they give him for a "chance"? I don't think he's back. Torres probably won't be fully recovered from TJ surgery until June or July but he'll probably be with the big club by September. Frazier? Love the guy. If we're to believe they want to get below the luxury tax, how many of those guys can they really keep? They could look at the Yankees offer (if they're low) as "what a place to play" but more likely they'll look at it like, "you guys are loaded and you've always spent money in the past". I don't know how many between CC, Tanaka, Pineda and Frazier will be back. 1? 2? None? I doubt all 4.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Torres probably won't be fully recovered from TJ surgery until June or July but he'll probably be with the big club by September.
Torres is already fielding and hitting off a tee. He'll be ready for spring training. Remember, he got the TJ surgery on his non throwing arm.
I hear what you are saying about the luxury tax, but keep in mind that Judge, Sanchez, Bird and Clint Frazier combine for 2 mill. Aaron Hicks and Didi are arbitration eligible. The salary that kills us is Ells, Gardner and Headley. That totals almost 50 mill.
CC is an interesting question, on one hand, his 25 mill comes off the books, but how much/little would he re-sign for?
If Tanaka opts out, they have to bring CC back.
I like Pineda, but realize the only way he comes back is on a prove it type deal, he is an UFA after all.
Frazier "only" made 12 mill this season. Would he come back on a 2/20 deal?

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Torres is already fielding and hitting off a tee. He'll be ready for spring training.

I didn't know that.

The only thing that kept him from a call up was the injury AND the Frazier acquisition. In fact the Torres injury made acquiring Frazier important. IMHO, if Torres doesn't get injured and is brought up in July, he's on the roster today. They know the kid has a MLB bat and they had him working 2 games at second base, 2 at short and 2 at third in the minors. If that's the case (he'll be ready for spring training) then I'm not worried about Frazier or Headley.

You're right about Ellsbury. He had a stretch where he hit real well (the second time Hicks went down) but he's back to his old self. He finished the year 5 for 30 with 1 double and no rbi. He did score 4 runs. I'd love to find a team willing to take him for a couple of mid level prospects and the NYY can pick up some of his salary.

On Headley, I'm on again off again. I like his ability to hit from either side and play 1st or 3rd. If he's the 3B until Torres comes up, I'm okay with that. I like Frazier but I'm pretty sure one of the two have to be gone next year.

Pineda? Can he get his mental game turned around. He had a good year this year but from June on (with the exception of a good game vs. Boston) he was the 2015-16 Pineda. That guy would look good for 4 or 5 innings and then forget how to get the third out. I think he's like Betances. It's 100% mental (even though Betances problem is mechanics, IMO it's caused by his mental approach). He thinks he's going to eff up.

Pay Hicks and Didi whatever the arbitrator decides or sign them long term. They're both key pieces to this team. With Gardner, Judge and Hicks in the OF, teams won't test them on the bases too often. Didi is a far better defensive SS than Jeter and has way more power. Plus, he's the soul of the team.

I can't wait to see C. Frazier, Torres, Adams, Sheffield and Wade (another guy who needs to adjust mentally to the big stage) for a full season or most of one. And lets not forget our jack of all trades, Toe.

In the end, I trust Cashman. He's been a great GM despite having to work under crazy George for a long time. He's made far more good moves than bad the last few years.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I am tired of Pineda. Give me clutch players like CC and Tanaka.

@PARAM I hope Andujar is in the plans. That kid can hit. Torres is best to slot in at 2nd imo.

Guys that I am not so hot on are Hicks. He has not bounced back after injury. He looks like the old Hicks. I am not a big Clint Frazier fan either. I have followed him since the trade. He should be a high average guy with lots of RBIs. He gets one hot per game and it isn't in a clutch situation. He reminds me of Danny Pasqua. Decent, but they could do better. If teams are still high on him he may bring a good return.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
I am tired of Pineda. Give me clutch players like CC and Tanaka.

@PARAM I hope Andujar is in the plans. That kid can hit. Torres is best to slot in at 2nd imo.

Guys that I am not so hot on are Hicks. He has not bounced back after injury. He looks like the old Hicks. I am not a big Clint Frazier fan either. I have followed him since the trade. He should be a high average guy with lots of RBIs. He gets one hot per game and it isn't in a clutch situation. He reminds me of Danny Pasqua. Decent, but they could do better. If teams are still high on him he may bring a good return.

I saw Andujar play a few games in Trenton. He can hit. I didn't really see any bad defense but that's the wrap. Hicks had a good year. Looked like a completely different player than 2016. Better eye. Better bat. And he's a huge upgrade over Ells on defense. Jacoby can run em down but he's got a noodle arm. Hicks can run em down just as well and when he hits a wall, he doesn't do it with his head. Frazier? He's young. Got a lot to learn but he will hit. Here's his walk off against the Brewers.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpjU3_BPsIs

I don't think he was the same after his injury. The kid has a quick bat and just needs more discipline at the plate. He'll be on the 2018 team. Will Chance Adams?

How good will their lineup be with Gardner, Hicks, Torres, Judge, Sanchez, Bird, Didi, Castro? Andujar or Frazier DHing.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
The lineup will only get better. I read a lot from Riveraveblues.com. It is a great site. Love the minor league coverage. They were pushing for the Andujar at third and Torres at second lineup. I agree that it's best. Starlin has a good bat but could be upgraded on defense. Andujar is a hitting machine. Torres has to play at one spot or the other.

But, I was listening to the Yankees radio broadcast in the car and Waldman said that she was told the plan next season is to start Torres in Scranton but they hope he would be playing third for the Yankees by the All Star break. I guess if Andujar keeps hitting and improves his defense further, that he may change the thinking, but it sounds like you might be right about him being trade bait. I think it would be a mistake. He has a great hitting potential.

Chance Adams? He is touted as their best pitching prospect but he still walks too many batters. I don't think anyone emerges as the next Severino next season. The best pitchers are in A ball IMO. Sheffield is highly regarded but he has a small frame. Guzman who came over in the Beltran trade looks like the best one with some lower minor leaguers like Yefrey Ramirez to follow. Domingo Acevedo has a chance but he likely ends up in the pen. I like to go to Scranton-Wilkes Barre. Trenton is too far. I am about an hour up the interstates from the Railriders, so it is an easy trip. The major league club is set up for years to come. It's a nice change to have a farm system again.

So, what happens to the pitching staff? Severino, Gray, CC, Tanaka, and Montgomery is the likely rotation, barring a Tanaka opt out, or C.C. riding into the sunset. But after the way those two are pitching in September and especially the playoffs, the Yankees should consider keeping both. I don't know who replaces them. Maybe Darvish. Otani is having surgery so he may not be coming to the U.S.. Technically they only have two spots locked down but they could easily keep the entire staff in place.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
So, what happens to the pitching staff? Severino, Gray, CC, Tanaka, and Montgomery is the likely rotation, barring a Tanaka opt out, or C.C. riding into the sunset. But after the way those two are pitching in September and especially the playoffs, the Yankees should consider keeping both. I don't know who replaces them. Maybe Darvish. Otani is having surgery so he may not be coming to the U.S.. Technically they only have two spots locked down but they could easily keep the entire staff in place.

Severino, Gray and Montgomery are in. CC is he stays. Tanaka if he stays. I keep hearing he's going to opt out and make huge jack.

I saw Yefrey pitch twice. He looks bigger than he's listed. He's thick. A horse. But he's now an Oriole. Adams did good at Trenton. Then he was promoted to AAA and he's done well there. Even with a tad too many walks, his WHIP is still excellent. Sheffield needs to season a bit.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Riverblues is awesome but they do have a tendency to over rate all their minor league players. The jump to the majors is so huge, many a AAA all star cant cut it in the majors. It is not even close to as easy as its looked for the Yankees lately.
That said, Castro has earned his pinstripes, dont want him going anywhere.
Tanaka is an interesting conundrum.
In the early part, and for the most part of this season, we hoped he would opt out so he'd be gone...
Now he's been a stud in the playoffs. The question is does he feel he owes the Yankees by not opting out? (Thru translator) Tanaka has spoken often about loyalty and honor and stuff.
Adams is the real deal

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Severino, Gray and Montgomery are in. CC is he stays. Tanaka if he stays. I keep hearing he's going to opt out and make huge jack.

I saw Yefrey pitch twice. He looks bigger than he's listed. He's thick. A horse. But he's now an Oriole. Adams did good at Trenton. Then he was promoted to AAA and he's done well there. Even with a tad too many walks, his WHIP is still excellent. Sheffield needs to season a bit.

I missed the Ramirez deal. Minor league trade to avoid him becoming rule 5 eligible, like Gamel?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Riverblues is awesome but they do have a tendency to over rate all their minor league players. The jump to the majors is so huge, many a AAA all star cant cut it in the majors. It is not even close to as easy as its looked for the Yankees lately.
That said, Castro has earned his pinstripes, dont want him going anywhere.
Tanaka is an interesting conundrum.
In the early part, and for the most part of this season, we hoped he would opt out so he'd be gone...
Now he's been a stud in the playoffs. The question is does he feel he owes the Yankees by not opting out? (Thru translator) Tanaka has spoken often about loyalty and honor and stuff.
Adams is the real deal

I don't think they over rate them. Mike seems pretty realistic about prospects. We have all experienced the disappointment of the Yankee farm over the years. Not too long ago Gerald Williams was our next big thing. Mike has been spot on lately, with the exception of a few like Gamel, Montgomery, Kahnle, who he totally whiffed on. He saw the obvious ones like Judge and Sanchez and he called the guys that many liked that he didn't think would do well, like JR Murphy, Refsnyder. Austin. Austin was a beast at AAA. I have to disagree with you on this one.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't think they over rate them. Mike seems pretty realistic about prospects. We have all experienced the disappointment of the Yankee farm over the years. Not too long ago Gerald Williams was our next big thing. Mike has been spot on lately, with the exception of a few like Gamel, Montgomery, Kahnle, who he totally whiffed on. He saw the obvious ones like Judge and Sanchez and he called the guys that many liked that he didn't think would do well, like JR Murphy, Refsnyder. Austin. Austin was a beast at AAA. I have to disagree with you on this one.
He’s hitting on them because they are on fire. It’s all good. Any Yankee news is good news. Gerald Williams was a longtime ago. We haven’t had an outfield prospect work out (for us anyways) other than Judge. But they were nuts about several of them, like mason Williams. Refsnyders bat was always thought highly of but he has no position.
Anyways we are loaded now and that’s all that matters

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Anyways we are loaded now and that’s all that matters

I remember way back when Roberto Kelly was our biggest OF prospect. It didn't work out and we got Paul O'Neil straight up for him......so it worked out in the end. It's not just 'what the Yankees think of ______.' It's what he's perceived as around MLB. As far as outfield prospects go, we had a ton of them and used some of them to get some good pieces. Rutherford became expendable because of Florial. He helped get us Robertson, Kahnle and Frazier. Fowler, who we got from the Cubs for Chapman, helped us get Gray. So we have Florial, McKinney and Cave in the minors, Frazier is probably on the 25 man next year and with Gardner, Hicks, Ellsbury and Judge where's the room for those guys? Anybody know anything about 16 year old Pereira?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Pereira is too young and far away from triple A obviously however RAB posted some things on him. Basically a true Centerfielder with plus speed, good instincts on both sides of the plate. Line drive hitter with high average and some power potential. One of the most balanced, well rouded skillsets in the 2017 class.

Ronny Rojas is one to watch too. Along with Robert Chirinos.

They also have two very exciting arms in rookie league.