Camp

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jimitroutboy

@jimiramsboy
Name
Jim Fadler
It was really hard to see most of the action when they went 7 on 7. They can't use the same field every practice and all the 7 on 7 action and 11 on 11 took place on the second field away from the spectators. But about half way through a front office staffer that I know came and got Michael and I and we got to take a short tour of the first floor. Then we were able to watch the rest of the practice with the families and kids of the players.

And lo and behold a friend with us told me to look behind me and there was Road Warrior Animal Joe Laurinaitis in the flesh but sadly no studded collar. My son saw my excitement and told me "be cool Dad." So I was able to restrain myself but did get a picture of Joe and James together at the fence after practice.

And Mr. Animal did not clothesline me off the rope much to my chagrin.

QB-Austin Davis took the reps with the second team today again. I think that what this ultimately means will be more clear as the pre-season games start up and we see who is the second QB out there after Sam.

In the 7 on 7 it seemed the game plan was to work on short crossing stuff, circles out of the backfield and check downs. Toward the end of Sam's run he did go deep to both Quick and Austin for big gains.

RB-They did a long drill with the linebackers matched up on them in pass blocking. Both Richardson and Pead really struggled. Richardson just gave and tackled the guy on his first rep. Pead did pretty much the same thing on his first one. He later got rag dolled and tossed away by Ogletree.

Clay just needs some work on his technique and hand placement. Each of his reps started out great but right toward the end he would lose his form grab shirt and hold on.

Cunningham did very well on all his reps. He has looked very good on both the bag and sled drills.

Stacy had one of the best runs of the day where he slammed up a hole and had about 30 yards straight up the gut before they whistled it dead.

Pead had a draw play that picked up about 8 yards but he would have had more if he hadn't bounced it outside into traffic. He had a tendency last year to not stay with the hole and try to bounce everything to the edge. That was the first real time I saw him do that this year.

Pead however still looks very good catching the ball and is running crisp routes.

WR-I have been able to make a friend out of Andy Helmick's mother. I have been talking to her off and on tonight and so far no word on her son's hamstring injury. He did get a rep early with Sam at QB and caught a long pass.

Givens early on caught a medium out and got popped really good but hung onto the ball. His first few days he was getting open deep but the ground was popping the ball loose most of the time.

Quick did well early in all the drills but dropped a pass late in 11 on 11 when he broke open in the seam. It was right in front of me and it looked like he took his head off the ball to check downfield. The only part that really concerned me was he walked slowly back to the huddle with his head down shaking it from side to side. Get over it and go on.

In the early drills it looked like Austin was running a full route tree consistently for the first time. Up to this point he was mostly running deep nines, swings and digs out of motion. Today I saw him running outs and quite a few skinny posts. He had one carry early but it was before I moved and couldn't tell if it was out of the tailback spot or an end around.

Phil Lutz got lit up late in the day on an out but still held onto it.

Oline/Dline-I was too far away to see any of the matchup drills. After I moved I did get a really good view of Jake Long and Quinn and Long won today.

Most of the time in the 11 on 11 the offense was coming right at me and I got a really good look at Wells. He does a really good job chipping to the side in pass blocking if he isn't matched up on someone. He also is a great cop out there directing the traffic and making the line calls. You could see the rest repond to him.

Linebackers-I kept watching for Ray Ray on the third team and could never find him and the reason turned to be that he was on the second team today with Witherspoon and Hull.

There is a view out among some of the working press that Ogletree doesn't take on blockers very well and tried to run around the blocking. I watched for it and from what I saw today both he and Ray Ray do that to some extent. But they both have great range in their drops and are ahead of the rookie curve in pass coverage. It is really hard to see what their ability is in blitzing due to the nature of practice but they have to speed to get there.

DBacks-For most of the first few practices you could see McDonald catch Stewart's eye to get in the right place. Today I saw them develop some chemistry in coverage that was really nice to see.
It was 11 on 11 and Sam put up a deep ball for Quick. When he let it go it looked like Quick was going to catch up to it but both Stewart and McDonald ran the route with him and kept him for accelerating into the pass.

McGee is running the with second unit.

It looks like Matt Daniels is very close to coming back. He worked on sprints and back pedals with a trainer and I saw no limp.

They are off tomorrow.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Glad to hear Long is settling in a bit. Can you imagine going against J. Long for 40 practices and then going up against the Card's T's? :rofl:

Thank you! Anything stand out from Bailey? I'm asking everyone... :omg: lol

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
Ty for the info. I would say long may win but ultimately makes Quinn better in turn. Not just againt the cards but tge Seahags and whiners as well

jap

Legend
Isaiah developed the bad habit of not staying with his blocking crew back in Cincinnati where his OL were not exactly the greatest blockers. He got used to free-lancing, and it bit him last pre-season when he started free-lancing too early. He needs to hold to discipline runs until he reaches daylight. Heck, he can stand to watch film of Marshall or even Tavon using their blockers to maximize yardage.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Thanks jim, succinct and informative as we've come to expect.

nighttrain

Legend
Good to read the good about Pead & Quick/ I don t mind a player beating himself up a bit. Like to hear that Pead could chip his man a bit,

good report
thanks
train

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
I think it was Jimi that mentioned this the other day, but it is spot on. Pead has no patience. He is always looking to hit the home run. That tends to make him do one of two things ... hesitate ... and get stuffed or bounce out of the hole and blocking scheme. A juke now and then can be a good thing ... but the most successful RB's learn to hit the hole hard and fast ... or stick one cut and go. North and South.

Patience is key. He needs to trust the hole .. get a little skinny and hit it hard. Back side hole will open up more for him that way.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
Thanks Jim, great stuff! Were you able to see who was doing all the "popping" out there on the WRs?

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Thanks again Jimi! I feel like I was there, again.

iBruce

Pro Bowler
Name
Cory
Yep, thanks Jimi. Love reading your tweets then getting on here to get more than 140 chars.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
ReddingRam said:
I think it was Jimi that mentioned this the other day, but it is spot on. Pead has no patience. He is always looking to hit the home run. That tends to make him do one of two things ... hesitate ... and get stuffed or bounce out of the hole and blocking scheme. A juke now and then can be a good thing ... but the most successful RB's learn to hit the hole hard and fast ... or stick one cut and go. North and South.

Patience is key. He needs to trust the hole .. get a little skinny and hit it hard. Back side hole will open up more for him that way.

RR, I mentioned that the other day, and also think that part of the issue Pead had last year was he was just trying to make a play before he had the ball.

It has taken him some time to adjust to the speed of the NFL. He played like he was always in a hurry. Rather than just letting the play come to, he tries to turn up field BEFORE he secures a catch, or as you mentioned, tries to bounce a play BEFORE letting the play develop and being patient. Sometimes, it's ok just getting what you can get on a play, and let the big plays happen.

He did look a lot more patient yesterday in practice, and I still have confidence that he will be the RB they project him to be.

jimitroutboy

@jimiramsboy
Name
Jim Fadler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
CoachO said:
ReddingRam said:

RR, I mentioned that the other day, and also think that part of the issue Pead had last year was he was just trying to make a play before he had the ball.

It has taken him some time to adjust to the speed of the NFL. He played like he was always in a hurry. Rather than just letting the play come to, he tries to turn up field BEFORE he secures a catch, or as you mentioned, tries to bounce a play BEFORE letting the play develop and being patient. Sometimes, it's ok just getting what you can get on a play, and let the big plays happen.

He did look a lot more patient yesterday in practice, and I still have confidence that he will be the RB they project him to be.

I have always been on his bandwagon.

I know I know drills don't translate into on field success but his ability in most of the agility drills is at times breathtaking.

I got a really good look at him at the start of camp last year and he was running with his head up and showed good run vision.

At some point in time between that and the end of the pre-season he started running with his head down, losing the hole and at times tipping the play.

On passing downs he would move his head all around, crane his neck to check the linebackers and never totally come still in his neck and head. Then on running down he would lower his head and stay still.

By the start of the season he had quit doing that but it wasn't until the end of the year that I thought that he looked calm and poised on the field. He lost his role to Richardson and then his role as a KR.

Neither he nor Richardson acquitted themselves well as pass blockers yesterday...Pead really needs to nail that skill and get on the field on 3rd down. Its not a function of size as much as it is technique and willingness. Faulk was really good at sticking his nose in there and nailing blitzers.