Camp report 8/6/14 A Look at the Roster QBs; RBs; TEs

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Synopsis of the roster

With the break in the open practices leading up to Friday’s Preseason opener, I thought I would take a shot at looking at the roster and giving a thumbnail take on the 90 guys fighting to be a part of the 2014 Rams.

So here are my thoughts about each player and their roles thus far in training camp:

Starting with the QBs, RBs & TEs

QB’s

8 Sam Bradford 6'4 224 5 Oklahoma

He has put to rest any concerns about his recovery from the ACL injury. He looks comfortable in the offense. Arm strength only seems to have gotten better. Physically, he is stronger, and looks bigger. Absence of any set backs physically, Bradford is set up to have his best year.

14 Shaun Hill 6'3 220 13 Maryland

Looks exactly like what a professional backup QB should look like. Seems comfortable and doesn’t get rattled. An upgrade over last year’s backup. Arm Strength is ok, good enough to make the throws he has to make, but his experience allows him to put the ball where it needs to be, WHEN it needs to be there.

5 Garrett Gilbert 6'4 221 R Southern Methodist

Before Camp opened, I was questioning whether they keep a 3rd QB on the roster this year. After seeing Gilbert, there is little doubt they have to. He is a pleasant surprise. Good size, better than average arms strength, and the game doesn’t look too big for him at all. Still has issues in the offense at times, but he has displayed nice touch on the intermediate throws, and can improvise when necessary.

9 Austin Davis 6'2 221 2 Southern Mississippi

Has been pretty much the epitome of what is known as a “camp arm”. Has not shown any improvement over last year’s training camp, in which he took a major step back. He gets very limited reps, and when he does, he still struggles to show any command of the offense. Accuracy issues continue. Not likely to last past the 1st round of cuts.

RB’s

30 Zac Stacy 5'8 216 2 Vanderbilt

There is no reason to think he won’t pick up right where he left off in 2013. Decisive and runs hard. Still needs to show improvement in pass blocking, but as long as he can avoid the bumps and bruises that seem to crop up, he should have a great year.

36 Benny Cunningham 5'10 209 2 Middle Tennessee

Appears to be much leaner, but stronger this year. Still has that burst through the hole, and enough speed to break off long runs when he gets in the open. Much improved in blitz pickup. At this point, should be considered the primary back up to Stacy.

24 Isaiah Pead 5'10 197 3 Cincinnati

Was in the mix getting regular reps with all the other RBs. Since injuring his hand, he is limited to Special Teams reps (mostly as kickoff returner, and gunner on the punt team). While I continue to be one of his biggest supporters, even I have to concede that he needs to “show up” in Preseason games or he may be running out of time.

27 Tre Mason 5'8 207 R Auburn

Demonstrates the quick feet and sudden burst, but needs to be more of a north south runner. Has a tendency to want to dance through the hole, and looks to bounce outside more than he should. He wasn’t even a part of the blitz pickup drill, which tells me, his status as a potential 3rd down option isn’t real good. Still has a ways to go to earn a spot on the game day active roster.

34 Chase Reynolds 6'0 200 2 Montana

Just another year in the life of an underdog. It seems he goes into every training camp as the guy they are looking to replace. And yet, he finds a way to show his worth. While not expected to get much work out of the backfield, whenever he gets his turn, he makes plays. He has resurfaced on ALL of the core Special Teams, suggesting to me, that he still is going to be part of this team.

42 Trey Watts 5'11 192 R Tulsa

UDFA who shows flashes when given the opportunity. He hits the hole and has the speed to get in the open field. Has had a couple of breakaway runs. His injury may have derailed some of the momentum he had gained, especially showing up on a couple of 2nd unit Special Teams. He most likely will be one of the guys added to the Practice Squad.

45 Kadeem Jones (FB) 5'11 246 R Western Kentucky

Has yet to get on the practice field, so nothing to report.

TEs

89 Jared Cook 6'5 248 6 South Carolina

He will continue to be an enigma in this offense. With the emergence of the WRs, cook isn’t targeted as often as he was in last year’s camp. But when he is, he is a match up nightmare for anyone not name Ogletree to cover. He still has the ability to get behind LBs, and running up the seam can be lethal. If they WRs continue to progress, it stands to only make Cook that more dangerous working the middle of the field.

88 Lance Kendricks 6'3 247 4 Wisconsin

I would look at this as a big year for Kendricks. He came to camp looking healthier than he has in the past 2 years. Leaner, and appears faster. He has shown vast improvement in his pass catching abilities. Doesn’t drop much if they hit him in the hands. He should play an important role in the offense this year, as they look to employ plenty of two TE sets.

46 Cory Harkey 6'4 260 3 UCLA

He appears to be set as the guy lining up in the backfield as the lead blocker and “move TE”. He is a threat in the passing game, but his primary role will still be as the best blocking TE on the roster. He will also see some time as an in-line TE. Again, a vital piece of what they intend on doing this year.

84 Justice Cunningham 6'3 258 1 South Carolina

Athletic and powerful, he has shown some signs of being one of the real surprises of this year’s training camp. Lining up as Harkey’s backup in most cases, getting his turn in the backfield, as well as being a “move TE”. Inconsistent as a pass catcher at this point, but shows enough athleticism that he can be a threat in the passing game. Also getting plenty of play on Special Teams.

86 Mason Brodine 6'7 284 1 Nebraska-Kearney

Converted from Defensive Tackle, Brodine looks the part of a seasoned TE. Obviously has the size to be an effective in-line blocker, and has shown to be much more athletic than one might expect while running routes. Has decent hands, enough to be at least a threat. Has shown up on Special Teams as well.

82 Alex Bayer 6'4 258 R Bowling Green

Another of the UDFA who has shown he can play at this level. Numbers seemed to be stacked against him, in terms of competing for a roster spot, but should garner serious interest as one of the Practice Squad additions. Good route runner, better blocker.

Last edited:
I would look at this as a big year for Kendricks. He came to camp looking healthier than he has in the past 2 years. Leaner, and appears faster. He has shown vast improvement in his pass catching abilities. Doesn’t drop much if they hit him in the hands. He should play an important role in the offense this year, as they look to employ plenty of two TE sets.

Can't see anyway that this isn't Kendricks last season in horns, with how much we're paying Cook both of them together will be too much imo, a shame as I'd take Lance straight up over Jared.

He has put to rest any concerns about his recovery from the ACL injury. He looks comfortable in the offense. Arm strength only seems to have gotten better. Physically, he is stronger, and looks bigger. Absence of any set backs physically, Bradford is set up to have his best year.

Expecting a big year, if we can protect him sufficiently.

Looking forward to the other positions.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Outstanding overview, CoachO.

Should we assume that you've listed the players in your personal pecking order?

If so, do you consider Mason a rung below Pead? A player you're expressing some doubts about lately?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

Can't see anyway that this isn't Kendricks last season in horns, with how much we're paying Cook both of them together will be too much imo, a shame as I'd take Lance straight up over Jared.

I've probably said this too many times already, but I'm gonna be extremely bummed if we don't trot out a bunch of 2-TE sets with those two going out on high-low patterns. I don't think there's a LB in this league that can stay with Kendricks on short-intermediate routes, and Cook can clear out down the seam fairly easily in most cases.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Working on it as I am typing this. Its a work in progress, but I intend on commenting on all 90 guys in camp. I will post by position, and will probably take into tomorrow to work thru the entire roster.

Just wanted to do something to work thru the down time til Friday night.

Working on it as I am typing this. Its a work in progress, but I intend on commenting on all 90 guys in camp. I will post by position, and will probably take into tomorrow to work thru the entire roster.

Just wanted to do something to work thru the down time til Friday night.

Awesome.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Outstanding overview, CoachO.

Should we assume that you've listed the players in your personal pecking order?

If so, do you consider Mason a rung below Pead? A player you're expressing some doubts about lately?
I am putting in the order that they seem to be on the depth chart in terms of units and the number of reps. My comments about Pead "running out of time" has no bearing on where he currently stands on the depth chart. I have ranked him there based on him being on the roster, assuming any other developments.

Rams43

Hall of Fame

Yep, Rams and Gators, Kendricks is a bridge we'll have to cross next offseason.

First, let me say that I'm a big Kendricks fan, myself.

Depending on his achievements this year, he might well be considered a keeper. I don't know how Cook's contract is structured, but if Cook disappoints, then HE might be traded or released.

The young TE's are impressing in camp, so we might have that option, after all.

FRO

Legend
Synopsis of the roster

With the break in the open practices leading up to Friday’s Preseason opener, I thought I would take a shot at looking at the roster and giving a thumbnail take on the 90 guys fighting to be a part of the 2014 Rams.

So here are my thoughts about each player and their roles thus far in training camp:

Starting with the QBs, RBs & TEs

QB’s

8 Sam Bradford 6'4 224 5 Oklahoma

14 Shaun Hill 6'3 220 13 Maryland

Looks exactly like what a professional backup QB should look like. Seems comfortable and doesn’t get rattled. An upgrade over last year’s backup. Arm Strength is ok, good enough to make the throws he has to make, but his experience allows him to put the ball where it needs to be, WHEN it needs to be there.

5 Garrett Gilbert 6'4 221 R Southern Methodist

Before Camp opened, I was questioning whether they keep a 3rd QB on the roster this year. After seeing Gilbert, there is little doubt they have to. He is a pleasant surprise. Good size, better than average arms strength, and the game doesn’t look too big for him at all. Still has issues in the offense at times, but he has displayed nice touch on the intermediate throws, and can improvise when necessary.

9 Austin Davis 6'2 221 2 Southern Mississippi

Has been pretty much the epitome of what is known as a “camp arm”. Has not shown any improvement over last year’s training camp, in which he took a major step back. He gets very limited reps, and when he does, he still struggles to show any command of the offense. Accuracy issues continue. Not likely to last past the 1st round of cuts.

RB’s

30 Zac Stacy 5'8 216 2 Vanderbilt

There is no reason to think he won’t pick up right where he left off in 2013. Decisive and runs hard. Still needs to show improvement in pass blocking, but as long as he can avoid the bumps and bruises that seem to crop up, he should have a great year.

36 Benny Cunningham 5'10 209 2 Middle Tennessee

Appears to be much leaner, but stronger this year. Still has that burst through the hole, and enough speed to break off long runs when he gets in the open. Much improved in blitz pickup. At this point, should be considered the primary back up to Stacy.

24 Isaiah Pead 5'10 197 3 Cincinnati

Was in the mix getting regular reps with all the other RBs. Since injuring his hand, he is limited to Special Teams reps (mostly as kickoff returner, and gunner on the punt team). While I continue to be one of his biggest supporters, even I have to concede that he needs to “show up” in Preseason games or he may be running out of time.

27 Tre Mason 5'8 207 R Auburn

Demonstrates the quick feet and sudden burst, but needs to be more of a north south runner. Has a tendency to want to dance through the hole, and looks to bounce outside more than he should. He wasn’t even a part of the blitz pickup drill, which tells me, his status as a potential 3rd down option isn’t real good. Still has a ways to go to earn a spot on the game day active roster.

34 Chase Reynolds 6'0 200 2 Montana

Just another year in the life of an underdog. It seems he goes into every training camp as the guy they are looking to replace. And yet, he finds a way to show his worth. While not expected to get much work out of the backfield, whenever he gets his turn, he makes plays. He has resurfaced on ALL of the core Special Teams, suggesting to me, that he still is going to be part of this team.

42 Trey Watts 5'11 192 R Tulsa

UDFA who shows flashes when given the opportunity. He hits the hole and has the speed to get in the open field. Has had a couple of breakaway runs. His injury may have derailed some of the momentum he had gained, especially showing up on a couple of 2nd unit Special Teams. He most likely will be one of the guys added to the Practice Squad.

45 Kadeem Jones (FB) 5'11 246 R Western Kentucky

Has yet to get on the practice field, so nothing to report.

TEs

89 Jared Cook 6'5 248 6 South Carolina

He will continue to be an enigma in this offense. With the emergence of the WRs, cook isn’t targeted as often as he was in last year’s camp. But when he is, he is a match up nightmare for anyone not name Ogletree to cover. He still has the ability to get behind LBs, and running up the seam can be lethal. If they WRs continue to progress, it stands to only make Cook that more dangerous working the middle of the field.

88 Lance Kendricks 6'3 247 4 Wisconsin

46 Cory Harkey 6'4 260 3 UCLA

He appears to be set as the guy lining up in the backfield as the lead blocker and “move TE”. He is a threat in the passing game, but his primary role will still be as the best blocking TE on the roster. He will also see some time as an in-line TE. Again, a vital piece of what they intend on doing this year.

84 Justice Cunningham 6'3 258 1 South Carolina

Athletic and powerful, he has shown some signs of being one of the real surprises of this year’s training camp. Lining up as Harkey’s backup in most cases, getting his turn in the backfield, as well as being a “move TE”. Inconsistent as a pass catcher at this point, but shows enough athleticism that he can be a threat in the passing game. Also getting plenty of play on Special Teams.

86 Mason Brodine 6'7 284 1 Nebraska-Kearney

Converted from Defensive Tackle, Brodine looks the part of a seasoned TE. Obviously has the size to be an effective in-line blocker, and has shown to be much more athletic than one might expect while running routes. Has decent hands, enough to be at least a threat. Has shown up on Special Teams as well.

82 Alex Bayer 6'4 258 R Bowling Green

Another of the UDFA who has shown he can play at this level. Numbers seemed to be stacked against him, in terms of competing for a roster spot, but should garner serious interest as one of the Practice Squad additions. Good route runner, better blocker.
Great report. Really can't find much to disagree on. These position groups are so much improved this year as opposed to the previous 5 years.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Yep, Rams and Gators, Kendricks is a bridge we'll have to cross next offseason.

First, let me say that I'm a big Kendricks fan, myself.

Depending on his achievements this year, he might well be considered a keeper. I don't know how Cook's contract is structured, but if Cook disappoints, then HE might be traded or released.

The young TE's are impressing in camp, so we might have that option, after all.

I think Kendricks is one of the most improved players on the roster since he got here. But IMO, he benefits because of Cook's presence as much as anyone on the offense. He will never be able to do the things that Cook does in this offense, and having both of them on the field at the same time, opens things up for Kendricks as much as it does for the WRs.

I expect Kendricks to garner plenty of reps, as they are utilizing a ton of two TE sets, with Cook line up in a flanker position, and Kendricks in-line.

FRO

Legend
I think Kendricks is one of the most improved players on the roster since he got here. But IMO, he benefits because of Cook's presence as much as anyone on the offense. He will never be able to do the things that Cook does in this offense, and having both of them on the field at the same time, opens things up for Kendricks as much as it does for the WRs.

I expect Kendricks to garner plenty of reps, as they are utilizing a ton of two TE sets, with Cook line up in a flanker position, and Kendricks in-line.
Kendricks will probably never be the superstar we thought he would in the 2011 preseason, but he is such a solid player and a key contributor. He is about as steady as it gets.

Oldgeek

I'm old and can't wait another 20 years for a SB W
Name
Steve
Cook is a better receiver, Harkey a better blocker, but Kendricks does both things well. I'm a big fan, but love the young guys they've got in camp as well.
How many TEs do the Rams keep?

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Awesome job CoachO, cant wait to read the rest as they come out.

Always liked Kendricks and glad he is progressing nicely. Has been every year.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Cook is a better receiver, Harkey a better blocker, but Kendricks does both things well. I'm a big fan, but love the young guys they've got in camp as well.
How many TEs do the Rams keep?
My guess they keep 4, with a 5th being added to the PS.

fancents86

Starter
Hopefully we find a way to keep Kendrick's next season. I can see him n Cook doing great things in our offense.

theramsruleUK

Pro Bowler
I think I speak for everyone on this forum when I say thank you very much coachO!!
Your efforts are very much appreciated and are amazing to read!!

lockdnram21

Legend
I've probably said this too many times already, but I'm gonna be extremely bummed if we don't trot out a bunch of 2-TE sets with those two going out on high-low patterns. I don't think there's a LB in this league that can stay with Kendricks on short-intermediate routes, and Cook can clear out down the seam fairly easily in most cases.
i would be mad i want to se more 3 wr sets

Alan

Legend
Great job CoachO. I have no questions or comments because you pretty much covered all of them already. Looking forward to reading about the rest of positions.