Camp Report - 8/5/13

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Thanks for another great report. So cool to have you there keeping us up to speed.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Stranger said:
DR RAM said:
Stranger said:
CoachO said:
Brian Quick had a very good day… up and over LONG completion from A. Davis and then, great concentration catch on a route up the sideline from Bradford with Stewart closing hard. Best 2 catches of training camp for Quick.
Thanks again, CoachO..... another great report.

With regard to Quick, can you please comment on his route running and ability to get separation. In some of the instagram vids of Quick that I saw, he didn't look that fluid yet, but I've only seen a few so it's hard to tell where he is in his development.

Thanks.
Most instagram videos aren't very fluid....
Here's one of the vids that I was referring to... which was from the following thread:
<a class="postlink" href="http://ramsondemand.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15404" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://ramsondemand.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15404</a>

News Bot said:
[instagram]http://instagram.com/p/cj4489gr1F/[/instagram]

Perhaps fluid wasn't the adjective to use here. What I meant was that Quick's moves didn't appear to be fooling whoever was covering him in the videos that I had seen. So, more specifically, it seemed as if Quick wasn't displaying the best Short-Area Quickness nor Head and Shoulder fakes to fool defenders.

But, it looks like from CoachO's response, Quick is getting to where he needs to be, is being targeted by the QB, and is making some great catches. So, if that's the case, his technique must be working against the Rams' secondary.
I was just bagging on instagram, but a serious response to Quick, is that he is a big guy, and a power planter, not a speed planter. His center of gravity and bulk, puts him at a disadvantage as far as making smooth, fast cuts. Like CoachO said, he gets to where he needs to be, and I think he is still creating some separation with his explosion.

It's hard to visually compare this guy to the likes of Givens, Austin. Cook comparisons are fair, but there are two schools of thought/technique into making quick cuts, and it's easier for a smaller receiver to chop his feet a little to change direction. Quick looks just fine to me with his hard plant and explode technique.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
DR RAM said:
I was just bagging on instagram, but a serious response to Quick, is that he is a big guy, and a power planter, not a speed planter. His center of gravity and bulk, puts him at a disadvantage as far as making smooth, fast cuts. Like CoachO said, he gets to where he needs to be, and I think he is still creating some separation with his explosion.

It's hard to visually compare this guy to the likes of Givens, Austin. Cook comparisons are fair, but there are two schools of thought/technique into making quick cuts, and it's easier for a smaller receiver to chop his feet a little to change direction. Quick looks just fine to me with his hard plant and explode technique.

Great points. Thanks Doc.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
RamFan503 vacillating about his opinion of TJ:
albefree69 throwing out an unlikely scenario:
I sure hope I was way off base about the T.J. pick.
You were. :sly:
I think that would be the first time. Maybe the second. :ww:

I was right about Klopfenstein you know. And Crouch. Just goes to show you how good I am at this kind of stuff. We'll see how it goes in the real games.

RamsFanCK

HAIL ME
CoachO said:
Stranger said:
CoachO said:
Brian Quick had a very good day… up and over LONG completion from A. Davis and then, great concentration catch on a route up the sideline from Bradford with Stewart closing hard. Best 2 catches of training camp for Quick.

With regard to Quick, can you please comment on his route running and ability to get separation. In some of the instagram vids of Quick that I saw, he didn't look that fluid yet, but I've only seen a few so it's hard to tell where he is in his development.

Thanks.

IMO, Quick looks a lot more relaxed and much more confident in his route running. While he has dropped a few "catchable" passes, the thing that needs to be pointed out, he is getting more reps than at any time throughout training camp LAST YEAR. And many more targets this year.

This tell me 2 things: 1) he is getting open more and 2), he is where he is supposed to be when he is supposed to be there. Both of these things are far more important in him seeing the field on Sunday, than dropping an occasional pass.

Today was the first time he used his size and went up and won a 50/50 ball, ala "Megatron" on a deep post route, where he adjusted to the ball in the air, and out sized and out muscled the smaller DB for the ball. If he can do that sort of thing on a regular basis, LOOK OUT!

I think the thing that worries me the most is not his talent, but his confidence. Too many times last year he walked away after a dropped pass head down...that's worrisome.

nighttrain

Legend
CGI_Ram said:
Excellent again Coach.

The news on Barrett Jones doesn't surprise me. Talented guy. Spongy body. He's not NFL ready physically.
Jones definitely looks like he needs some time in the weight room, hey great read though CoachO. Always happy when our two 2nd rounders play the part
train

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
CoachO said:
Camp Report 8/5/13

Matt Daniels participated
Wonder if Matt can possibly get up to speed with the UDFA's (Davis& Hall) & Rodney McLeod to compete for the two back up positions behind Stewart & McDonald?

7 on 7 Drill…. Q. Pointer was used in “DIME” package as 6th DB.
o 2nd Unit “Dime”: R. McLeod was Dime DB with both C. Davis and R. Hall at the S positions
Looks like Pointer is surprising me beat out Rodney McLeod as that dime back thus far?? I was hoping that Rodney would be a hot commodity in TC.

Player Observations:

• They continue to limit reps for Wells and J. Long. Rotating Barnes in for Wells, and Barksdale for Long.
With all the rust oozing from Barrett Jones its a good thing to get Barnes all the work possible.
Shelley Smith took reps at RG when they rotated reps with the 1’s.
Wonder if this is sign that CW is leading to nail down the OLG post and Shelley getting in some action as the top OG back up?

Barrett Jones doesn’t appear to be close to “game ready”. It’s pretty clear he is physically still very far from where he needs to be. There’s a reason he lasted til the 4th Round.
Its been 8 months since Barrett has played any type of football so its not unusual that a rookie coming off foot surgery would be in this condition when compared to a Barnes.
It would appear that if Barrett can get fully healthy & in playing shape without any setbacks his best hope would be as the 9th OL. Back up 6th-7th-8th OL'ers being swing OT Barksdale, OG Shelley Smith and OC Tim Barnes If Barrett has any set backs he would make a excellent week one IR candidate to be able to return like OC Wells did wk 11 or IR's the entire 2013 season may be a better ideal.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
Even in college Jones could be bull rushed so I'm not sure we're talking about shaking off the rust . I agree with nighttrain that it's more likely to be a case of lack of lower body strength. Hopefully, next year he'll have a different body working for him.

bskrilla

Starter
Stranger said:
DR RAM said:
Stranger said:
CoachO said:

Thanks.
Here's one of the vids that I was referring to... which was from the following thread:
<a class="postlink-local" href="http://ramsondemand.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15404" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15404</a>

News Bot said:

Perhaps fluid wasn't the adjective to use here. What I meant was that Quick's moves didn't appear to be fooling whoever was covering him in the videos that I had seen. So, more specifically, it seemed as if Quick wasn't displaying the best Short-Area Quickness nor Head and Shoulder fakes to fool defenders.

But, it looks like from CoachO's response, Quick is getting to where he needs to be, is being targeted by the QB, and is making some great catches. So, if that's the case, his technique must be working against the Rams' secondary.

Quick's cuts aren't fooling anyone? This video begs to differ.

[instagram]http://instagram.com/p/ccglDZgr8t/[/instagram]

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
bskrilla said:
Stranger said:
DR RAM said:
Stranger said:
CoachO said:

Thanks.
<a class="postlink-local" href="http://ramsondemand.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15404" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15404</a>

News Bot said:

Admittedly, while that was a much better route by Quick, JJ doesn't get beat like that if he isn't spending so much time peeking into the backfield so he could bite on Sam's double pump fake.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
bskrilla sticking his toe in guppy infested waters:

Welcome the the ROD! :zomg: :ja: :dancin: :nana: :wewt: :clap:

Don't forget to contact CGI so he can record the message on your answering machine. It's guaranteed to discourage all the telemarketers. Plus any relatives you don't like that much. :lol:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
albefree69 said:
bskrilla sticking his toe in guppy infested waters:

Welcome the the ROD! :zomg: :ja: :dancin: :nana: :wewt: :clap:

Don't forget to contact CGI so he can record the message on your answering machine. It's guaranteed to discourage all the telemarketers. Plus any relatives you don't like that much. :lol:

Oh albe... you aint fooling anyone... :razzed:

You are doing a RODcast sometime my friend. :ww: