Camp Report - 8/5/13

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Camp Report 8/5/13

Players not participating: Lance Kendricks; Jemelle Cudjo; Sammy Brown; Andrew Helmick; Matt Giordano; Al Lapuano; CHRIS LONG and Zac Stacy didn’t participate in any of the TEAM drills

Long didn’t appear to be hampered, maybe just a vets day off….

Matt Daniels and Nick Johnson participated

GSOT represented: Isaac Bruce AND Torry Holt were seen stalking the sidelines

Offensive Line:
1st Unit: Long C. Williams Wells Dahl Saffold
2nd Unit: Barksdale S. Smith Barnes Washington Nsekhe
LG rotation holds true for another day

Players rotating on a daily basis.

Today: 2nd unit QB was Austin Davis; Kellen Clemens taking 3rd unit reps

Theme of the day: Offense was clicking

• Emphasis on the intermediate passing attack today. Plus 2 minute drill and “Mayday FG”

Brian Quick had a very good day… up and over LONG completion from A. Davis and then, great concentration catch on a route up the sideline from Bradford with Stewart closing hard. Best 2 catches of training camp for Quick.

Clemons to Radway hook up on deep corner route. Best pass thrown by Clemens so far.

Isaiah Pead continues to look good RUNNING THE BALL. Inconsistent catching it.

• Defensive Front continues to get pressure on QBs. Lots of blitzes, including Corner Blitz would have resulted in sacks on many of the pass plays.

Chris Givens & Stedman Bailey made some nice “hands” catches in front of Jenkins and Johnson respectively. Went up and caught the ball “out of frame”.

Jenkins lined up on Pettis and “owned” him… One pass break up on first play of 7 on 7. Same play in 11 on 11 results in a juggling INT by Jenkins.

7 on 7 Drill…. Q. Pointer was used in “DIME” package as 6th DB.
o 2nd Unit “Dime”: R. McLeod was Dime DB with both C. Davis and R. Hall at the S positions

11 on 11

• One of the highlight plays was Pead beating Ogletree on a “wheel” route and toe taps in corner of EndZone from Bradford

• 2 minute Drill… offense moved ball pretty well. Series of short passes, in “hurry up”. Givens, Pettis , Austin and Cook started, then after an incompletion, they subbed in Quick, Bailey, and Harkey. Didn’t really miss a beat.

• After both 1’s & 2’s ran “2 minute” drill, they put the 1’s back out on the field and practiced the “Mayday FG” unit. 20 seconds on the clock, run an offensive play, and rush the FG unit on, to attempt 50+ FG. BTW… Zuerlein looks dynamite!

Player Observations:

• They continue to limit reps for Wells and J. Long. Rotating Barnes in for Wells, and Barksdale for Long.

Shelley Smith took reps at RG when they rotated reps with the 1’s.

Barrett Jones doesn’t appear to be close to “game ready”. It’s pretty clear he is physically still very far from where he needs to be. There’s a reason he lasted til the 4th Round.

TJ McDonald can play. On two plays he “got beat” on, because he played the football, but if it was “live action” he would have hurt someone with his closing speed to the ball. He is gonna be fun to watch.

Johhny Hekker was kicking during the punt drills, and was kicking the ball 70 yards in the air regularly.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Excellent again Coach.

The news on Barrett Jones doesn't surprise me. Talented guy. Spongy body. He's not NFL ready physically.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
Thanks CoachO! Great as usual.
Great to hear about Quick and T.J. but not so good to hear about Jones. I sure hope I was way off base about the T.J. pick. :tophat:

CoachO

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
At this rate, Barrett Jones is looking at the "red shirt" year to get NFL ready! When a guy name Garrett Goebel throws you around like a ragdoll, it doesn't give one a whole lot of confidence that he will contribute much THIS YEAR.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
CoachO said:
Camp Report 8/5/13

Players not participating: Lance Kendricks; Jemelle Cudjo; Sammy Brown; Andrew Helmick; Matt Giordano; Al Lapuano; CHRIS LONG and Zac Stacy didn’t participate in any of the TEAM drills

Long didn’t appear to be hampered, maybe just a vets day off….

Matt Daniels and Nick Johnson participated

GSOT represented: Isaac Bruce AND Torry Holt were seen stalking the sidelines

Offensive Line:
1st Unit: Long C. Williams Wells Dahl Saffold
2nd Unit: Barksdale S. Smith Barnes Washington Nsekhe
LG rotation holds true for another day

Players rotating on a daily basis.

Today: 2nd unit QB was Austin Davis; Kellen Clemens taking 3rd unit reps

Theme of the day: Offense was clicking

• Emphasis on the intermediate passing attack today. Plus 2 minute drill and “Mayday FG”

Brian Quick had a very good day… up and over LONG completion from A. Davis and then, great concentration catch on a route up the sideline from Bradford with Stewart closing hard. Best 2 catches of training camp for Quick.

Clemons to Radway hook up on deep corner route. Best pass thrown by Clemens so far.

Isaiah Pead continues to look good RUNNING THE BALL. Inconsistent catching it.

• Defensive Front continues to get pressure on QBs. Lots of blitzes, including Corner Blitz would have resulted in sacks on many of the pass plays.

Chris Givens & Stedman Bailey made some nice “hands” catches in front of Jenkins and Johnson respectively. Went up and caught the ball “out of frame”.

Jenkins lined up on Pettis and “owned” him… One pass break up on first play of 7 on 7. Same play in 11 on 11 results in a juggling INT by Jenkins.

7 on 7 Drill…. Q. Pointer was used in “DIME” package as 6th DB.
o 2nd Unit “Dime”: R. McLeod was Dime DB with both C. Davis and R. Hall at the S positions

11 on 11

• One of the highlight plays was Pead beating Ogletree on a “wheel” route and toe taps in corner of EndZone from Bradford

• 2 minute Drill… offense moved ball pretty well. Series of short passes, in “hurry up”. Givens, Pettis , Austin and Cook started, then after an incompletion, they subbed in Quick, Bailey, and Harkey. Didn’t really miss a beat.

• After both 1’s & 2’s ran “2 minute” drill, they put the 1’s back out on the field and practiced the “Mayday FG” unit. 20 seconds on the clock, run an offensive play, and rush the FG unit on, to attempt 50+ FG. BTW… Zuerlein looks dynamite!

Player Observations:

• They continue to limit reps for Wells and J. Long. Rotating Barnes in for Wells, and Barksdale for Long.

Shelley Smith took reps at RG when they rotated reps with the 1’s.

Barrett Jones doesn’t appear to be close to “game ready”. It’s pretty clear he is physically still very far from where he needs to be. There’s a reason he lasted til the 4th Round.

TJ McDonald can play. On two plays he “got beat” on, because he played the football, but if it was “live action” he would have hurt someone with his closing speed to the ball. He is gonna be fun to watch.

Johhny Hekker was kicking during the punt drills, and was kicking the ball 70 yards in the air regularly.

Wow! Heck of of report you made, Coach! That's easily one of The most exciting reports of TC.

The parts I took most interest in was Quick's progression and Bailey filling in without missing a beat. So great to hear!

I'm baffled with the OL... Long and Saffold are doing well and yet the D is getting a lot of sacks. Our RB's gotta learn to pick up the blitzer.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
CoachO said:
At this rate, Barrett Jones is looking at the "red shirt" year to get NFL ready! When a guy name Garrett Goebel throws you around like a ragdoll, it doesn't give one a whole lot of confidence that he will contribute much THIS YEAR.
I think it also speaks volumes that he is being used at Center only, even though it is pretty much a consensus that will end up there. I think many of us were hoping with our lack of depth at Guard, that he might be able to be that rotational C/G guy. He may end up on the IR list, because he won't make the 53 at this rate.

Well, he could make the 53, but will never make the 46.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Good stuff Coach thanks. Sounds like the backup QB's are finally starting to heat up with pre-season around the corner.

May I ask, what exactly does the "Mayday FG unit" consist of? Is it the regular guys, or do they keep linemen that are already on the field on or something?

• TJ McDonald can play. On two plays he “got beat” on, because he played the football, but if it was “live action” he would have hurt someone with his closing speed to the ball. He is gonna be fun to watch.

Music to my ears. :cheese:

Speeps

Starter
Hey coach, great report as always.

How is Sam Bradford looking?

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Thanks again man for these.

BTW Chris Long sits out and the offense starts clicking? Hmm. :fused:

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Angry Ram said:
Thanks again man for these.

BTW Chris Long sits out and the offense starts clicking? Hmm. :fused:

:shock: I really hope he is just dominating in general OL is actually good. Dang...

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
Thanks CoachO. Great job as usual.

What's your view of Bradford so far? And do you believe he will take a step up and how far?

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
CoachO said:
Thanks again, CoachO..... another great report.

With regard to Quick, can you please comment on his route running and ability to get separation. In some of the instagram vids of Quick that I saw, he didn't look that fluid yet, but I've only seen a few so it's hard to tell where he is in his development.

Thanks.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Username said:
Good stuff Coach thanks. Sounds like the backup QB's are finally starting to heat up with pre-season around the corner.

May I ask, what exactly does the "Mayday FG unit" consist of? Is it the regular guys, or do they keep linemen that are already on the field on or something?

• TJ McDonald can play. On two plays he “got beat” on, because he played the football, but if it was “live action” he would have hurt someone with his closing speed to the ball. He is gonna be fun to watch.

Music to my ears. :cheese:

The Mayday FG unit is pretty much the regular FG unit but in hurry up mode to line up, including the OLinemen "reporting" to the officials that they are "eligible" (lined up on the end of the LOS.

I think there are 5 guys who come off the field and are replaced,

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Stranger said:
CoachO said:

With regard to Quick, can you please comment on his route running and ability to get separation. In some of the instagram vids of Quick that I saw, he didn't look that fluid yet, but I've only seen a few so it's hard to tell where he is in his development.

Thanks.
Most instagram videos aren't very fluid....

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Stranger said:
CoachO said:

Thanks.

IMO, Quick looks a lot more relaxed and much more confident in his route running. While he has dropped a few "catchable" passes, the thing that needs to be pointed out, he is getting more reps than at any time throughout training camp LAST YEAR. And many more targets this year.

This tell me 2 things: 1) he is getting open more and 2), he is where he is supposed to be when he is supposed to be there. Both of these things are far more important in him seeing the field on Sunday, than dropping an occasional pass.

Today was the first time he used his size and went up and won a 50/50 ball, ala "Megatron" on a deep post route, where he adjusted to the ball in the air, and out sized and out muscled the smaller DB for the ball. If he can do that sort of thing on a regular basis, LOOK OUT!

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
DR RAM making a great lunging save:
Well, he could make the 53, but will never make the 46.

One would hope that he's not fully recovered from the foot injury or he's just afraid to really stress it.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Interesting note on Pead not being consistent on catching the football, I thought he was the best receiving RB we had.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
DR RAM said:
Stranger said:
CoachO said:

Thanks.
Most instagram videos aren't very fluid....
Here's one of the vids that I was referring to... which was from the following thread:
<a class="postlink-local" href="http://ramsondemand.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15404" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15404</a>

News Bot said:
[instagram]http://instagram.com/p/cj4489gr1F/[/instagram]

Perhaps fluid wasn't the adjective to use here. What I meant was that Quick's moves didn't appear to be fooling whoever was covering him in the videos that I had seen. So, more specifically, it seemed as if Quick wasn't displaying the best Short-Area Quickness nor Head and Shoulder fakes to fool defenders.

But, it looks like from CoachO's response, Quick is getting to where he needs to be, is being targeted by the QB, and is making some great catches. So, if that's the case, his technique must be working against the Rams' secondary.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
Stranger with a clarification and a video:
News Bot said:
[instagram]http://instagram.com/p/cj4489gr1F/[/instagram]

Perhaps fluid wasn't the adjective to use here. What I meant was that Quick's moves didn't appear to be fooling whoever was covering him in the videos that I had seen. So, more specifically, it seemed as if Quick wasn't displaying the best Short-Area Quickness nor Head and Shoulder fakes to fool defenders.

But, it looks like from CoachO's response, Quick is getting to where he needs to be, is being targeted by the QB, and is making some great catches. So, if that's the case, his technique must be working against the Rams' secondary.

Nice video and good thoughts.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
albefree69 said:
Thanks CoachO! Great as usual.
Great to hear about Quick and T.J. but not so good to hear about Jones. I sure hope I was way off base about the T.J. pick. :tophat:

You were. :sly: