Camp Report - 8/21/13

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Camp Report 8/21/13

Players not participating: Jemelle Cudjo; Matt Giordano; Sammy Brown; Sean Hooey; Eugene Sims; Darian Stewart; Jabara Williams & Lance Kendricks were both in full pads, but did NOT participate in TEAM DRILLS

Rodger Saffold participated with 1st unit, including TEAM DRILLS.

TJ McDonald back and included in All TEAM DRILLS

Tavon Austin returns to practice FULL participation

Offensive Line:

1st Unit: Long C. Williams Wells Dahl Saffold
2nd Unit: Barksdale S. Smith Barnes B. Jones B. Washington
LG rotation holds true for another day

Today: 2nd unit QB was Austin Davis was taking the 2nd unit reps; Kellen Clemens back to 3rd unit

Theme of the day: FULL PADS, and lets RUN THE BALL

• More emphasis on the running game today, than in any previous practice.

o First time that they were pulling Guards, and showing multiple looks in running game.

o Plenty of TWO TE sets; Lots of “2 back” sets (with FB)

• All FIVE RBs got carries in running game today;
o Daryl Richardson & Isaiah Pead took 1st unit reps
o Zac Stacy & Bennie Cunningham took 2nd unit reps, with Chase Reynolds rotating in

• Seemed to have found the intermediate passing game… Quick, Givens and Cook EXCEL in the 15 – 18 yard range

Brian Quick was VERY physical in running deep routes; battled thru contact, and used his size and strength on a couple of passes

Sam Bradford took a DEEP shot with Chris Givens only to have it Intercepted by Courtland Finnegan. Ball was in the air 60+ yards. IMPRESSIVE THROW, and even more IMPRESSIVE PLAY by Finnegan

Rodney McLeod AND TJ McDonald looked VERY good in coverage; seemed to have better communication then with Stewart

• Look for Zac Stacy to be featured this week vs. Denver HE and Isaiah Pead took the bulk of the reps out of the backfield for the second day in a row.

Nick Johnson took 2nd team reps (rotating with Stedman Bailey) for the 1st time

SPECIAL TEAMS: PUNT TEAMS
Prepared for “special formations” out of the punt team on defense.

Worked on FAKE PUNTS (quick snap to up back) Chase Reynolds, Matt Daniels, Cody Davis

o Tavon Austin, Andrew Helmick and Nick Johnson returning punts

“Dizzy bat” drill: Rookies got to experience what is shaping up as a training camp tradition. “relay race” with rookies divided into teams, lots of fun, ice water baths, and seeing finely tuned athletes falling all over themselves

CAMP OBSERVATIONS: Final thoughts

• This is my 4th training camp and there is no comparison between this team and ANY of the previous teams I have seen. They have gone from arguably one of the OLDEST and SLOWEST teams to one of (if not) the YOUNGEST and FASTEST team in 2 years.

o The TEAM SPEED is the thing that jumps out at you.

o This roster is so much deeper and there will be some pretty good football players NOT make it thru the cutdown. That hasn’t been the case in years past. Where it was more a case of KEEPING some NOT so good players just to fill out the roster.

o The list of rookies and UDFA’s once again is an impressive collection of guys who have shown the ability to play at this level.

o I can see the Practice Squad being a list of “in house” players, for the first time comprised exclusively with players that have been here. Not much need to raid other teams roster to complete our squad.

• Plenty of competition at multiple positions, which again, is a change in philosophy around here.

o Safety; RB; WR; LG; LB (depth); TE
o Core Special Teams
o Kick Returner

Camp Surprises (players who have stood out, or exceeded “expectation”)

Offensive Line:
o Joe Barksdale;
o Jake Long (looks to be all the way back);
o Tim Barnes one of the MOST IMPROVED players on the entire roster

Wide Receivers:
o Chris Givens;

o Brian Quick (looks like the light has finally come on) with Kudos to Torry Holt, ever since he was in camp B. Quick has been noticeably improved, especially with the physical aspect, using his size and strength

o Justin Veltung (shows a grittiness, and looks to be a versatile player)

o Andrew Helmick (local kid made his mark early, and looks like the real deal)

Tight Ends:

o Jared Cook (entered with high expectations,, EXCEEDED them all)

o Cory Harkey (better all-around athlete than many realize)

o Phillip Lutzenkirchen (not the biggest, fastest, most athletic, but the kid is a “football player”)

Running Backs:

o Daryl Richardson (displays a burst and explosiveness that he didn’t have last year)

o Bennie Cunningham (showed early on that the “game is not too big for him)

Quarterbacks:

o Sam Bradford (looks better than he has in any of his previous Training Camps; obviously in control of this offense, and more importantly, this team)

Defensive Line:

o Michael Brockers (his physical makeover is remarkable; looks to be unblockable when he wants to be)

o Matt Conrath (physically bigger, stronger and is making an impact when he is on the field)

o Mason Brodine (looks like Conrath’s little brother; the similarities in their game is remarkable, he is what Conrath was a year ago physically, shows very good instincts playing inside)

o William Hayes

Linebackers:

o Alec Ogletree (his quickness and athleticism is off the charts; will dominate as he grows more comfortable in his responsibilities; will EXCEL in man coverage, may struggle in zone)

o Ray Armstrong (very athletic, but VERY RAW as a LB; loads of potential to develop should be a core special team contributor)

o Daren Bates (undersized, but very physical LB, looks to make the team as core Special Team player)

Corner Backs:

o Janoris Jenkins (“BPOT” = Best Player on Team)

o Brandon McGee (plays bigger than his size, very aggressive, better in coverage than expected)

Safeties:

o TJ McDonald (good grasp of defense, shows flashes of athleticism, and better than expected in coverage)

o Rodney McLeod (best instincts among ALL safeties, just seems to make plays)

o Cody Davis (better than expected instincts, anticipates plays, very good tackler)

o Rashard Hall (tall, rangy athlete, quietly has been one the camp surprises)

CONCERNS:
Back up QB

o Neither Kellen Clemens or Austin Davis has shown the decision making ability in this offense, or the consistent accuracy to be comfortable as the #2

Linebacker Depth

o With Jo-Lonn Dunbar’s suspension, this unit is the single biggest concern in terms of depth, in both experience or ability

o Counting on Jabara Williams to come back healthy and contribute speaks volumes about the lack of depth

Overall inexperience:

o Leagues youngest team

o How long will it take for young players (Ogletree, McDonald; Austin; Quick; McLoed) to settle in and be productive?

Schedule:

o Potential is there with the early schedule to be a BETTER TEAM, and not show up in wins/losses

o Key game could be the Dallas game in week 3

OUTLOOK:

o Breaking Training Camp, this team has the “look” of a Playoff team to me. How they put it together especially in the first half of the season will determine how far they go

V3

Hall of Fame
Brian Quick (looks like the light has finally come on) with Kudos to Torry Holt, ever since he was in camp B. Quick has been noticeably improved, especially with the physical aspect, using his size and strength

That really popped out to me. That makes me wonder what our WR's coach is doing. It took someone other than the WR coach to get Quick to start to understand how to play? I don't like hearing that.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
Great post CoachO. Thanks for the update.

And the enthusiasm. :bg:

CoachO

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
V3 said:
Brian Quick (looks like the light has finally come on) with Kudos to Torry Holt, ever since he was in camp B. Quick has been noticeably improved, especially with the physical aspect, using his size and strength

That really popped out to me. That makes me wonder what our WR's coach is doing. It took someone other than the WR coach to get Quick to start to understand how to play? I don't like hearing that.

The difference to me, is that Ray Sherman's job is to make sure Quick is running the right routes, making the right reads, and getting where he is supposed to be when he is supposed to be there. In a lot of instances, its about tearing him down and building him back up. He also has 10 other players he has to "coach". Obviously, we don't have the benefit of seeing what goes on in the meeting rooms, or "behind closed doors", but I would venture a guess (based on Sherman's recent comments), he has been every bit as vital to Quick's recent ascension as Holt was. I just felt the need to point out Holt (and Bruce's) role in it as well.

IMO, Torry Holt appealed to Quick's mental approach and CONFIDENCE. And in a lot of cases, the message is received differently when it is delivered from a former player.

Its kind of like coaching your own kid. You coach him one way, you tell him over and over again, what you expect from him, and then someone else comes along, and says the same thing in a different tone or different delivery, and the message hits home.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Last training camp day huh...

Thanks CoachO for all your reports...and giving me the visual of an eldery fella w/ binoculars...

BuiltRamTough

Pro Bowler
Name
Edmond
Beautiful man thanks!

I just don't see this team making the playoffs. The are very young. But if they do make the playoffs I won't be surprised.

A55VA6

Legend
Thanks for the report once again! Everything I'm hearing sounds encouraging. I'm excite dto finally get to the regular season in a few weeks.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
BuiltRamTough said:
Beautiful man thanks!

I just don't see this team making the playoffs. The are very young. But if they do make the playoffs I won't be surprised.

I said they look like a playoff team. I didn't say they ARE or WiLL be a playoff team. They very easily could be a much better team this year and not have it show up in the won/loss record.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

thanks for all the reports through training camp coach. they have been filled with much needed information by all rams fans alike. i enjoy that you report with no agenda or bias. and your takes on all the questions asked to you are must reads. your reports have definitely made me very excited about the season ahead for the rams.

thanks again, well done.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
CoachO said:
o Breaking Training Camp, this team has the “look” of a Playoff team to me. How they put it together especially in the first half of the season will determine how far they go
Can you put into words why this team has the "look" of a playoff team?

For me, I think I can probably tell whether a team looks to be playoff ready or not, but I'm not sure if I could pinpoint the reasons. But I'm curious what are the top factors that make you say this.

Thanks again for all of the exceptional reporting. It's been a great eye opener, and education, for the casual longterm fan like myself.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
Your reports have been truly professional. Always a great pleasure to read. Thanks!

Just 2 questions for you.

Do you remember what Bradford looked like his rookie camp? And how does this year compare?

Do you think Langford will see less playing time this season with the performances of the young DTs, Conrath and Brodine?

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
Thanks for all of your posts this training camp. They have been great and very informative. I hope you plan on doing this every year.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Wow.... the last camp report.

I really appreciate all the thought and work you've put into your reports,,, I'm also completely jealous of you having the ability to go to every practice. I'd be right there with you if I wasn't so far away. You lucy #×! $^+£.

Seriously, a big Mahalo to you Coach!

iBruce

Pro Bowler
Name
Cory
:tyty: Seriously, thanks for these Camp Reports Coach O. Love the detail you put into these and like the summary in this one.

nighttrain

Legend
CoachO said:
BuiltRamTough said:
Beautiful man thanks!

I said they look like a playoff team. I didn't say they ARE or WiLL be a playoff team. They very easily could be a much better team this year and not have it show up in the won/loss record.

I hear ya CoachO, this
CONCERNS:

Overall inexperience:

o Leagues youngest team
This could cause some disappointment in Rams Nation early on..Zona game to me off the charts important, a must win to get this young team started off right
train
ps that Quick looking like the light came on is awesome, he and Givens, Cook and Tavon, this group could pull us over .500, gotta score points to win, nothing ever a given

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
As the others have already said. Thank you for these reports. I gotta say, they are the first thing I look for when I scan the new posts. Sad that this is the last one.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Another excellent report Coach, thank you. One question. What I have seen from this team through 2 PS games has not blown me away, but I am hoping you are seeing a lot more from them in practice. In your opinion, is this team just sandbagging, and/or protecting their players and their scheme in these PS games? For instance, I have noticed that the D is not hitting as aggressively as you would expect when they have the chance. I have no problem with this actually, as there is no reason to risk injury in a meaningless game. Just something I have noticed.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Stranger said:
CoachO said:
Can you put into words why this team has the "look" of a playoff team?

For me, I think I can probably tell whether a team looks to be playoff ready or not, but I'm not sure if I could pinpoint the reasons. But I'm curious what are the top factors that make you say this.

Thanks again for all of the exceptional reporting. It's been a great eye opener, and education, for the casual longterm fan like myself.

There isn't one thing I would put my finger on and say, THIS is why!!!

It a combination of how much more confident Bradford looks, its the overall team speed this team demonstrates. It's seeing how they just have a look of a team that is "coming together".

The "scuffles" that break out, which are bound to happen, and how they always seem to escalate BECAUSE a teammate is coming to the aid of someone who gets hit a little too hard, or someone crosses the line in what's deemed acceptable contact in a particular drill. Those are intangibles that haven't been seen in previous camps I have attended.

The roster, while being very young in MOST areas, is obviously deeper in virtually EVERY area. When you watch the 2nd & 3rd units take their reps, what you see are a bunch of guys who can play. When you break down each position, there will be decisions to be made as to who is kept and who isn't. In the past, it was OBVIOUS that there way too many guys on the practice field who just didn't belong.

This year, there will be good players let go.

From the first day in camp, they just seemed to have a swagger about them, that hasn't been there in the four years I've been watching Training Camp. Add to that, they have "fun" being out there. There's a "friendly" competition day-to-day between the offense and the defense, especially when they go to the ELEVEN on ELEVEN team drills (i.e. 2 minute drill) where the defense gets pumped up when they stop the offense, (and its not just coming from the guys on the field, but the defensive players standing on the sideline while the "competition" is going on)

Obviously, I am not predicting a playoff season. But this team, more than any other looks like it could be that kind of team.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Faceplant said:
Another excellent report Coach, thank you. One question. What I have seen from this team through 2 PS games has not blown me away, but I am hoping you are seeing a lot more from them in practice. In your opinion, is this team just sandbagging, and/or protecting their players and their scheme in these PS games? For instance, I have noticed that the D is not hitting as aggressively as you would expect when they have the chance. I have no problem with this actually, as there is no reason to risk injury in a meaningless game. Just something I have noticed.

I wouldn't call it sandbagging. But when I hear the term "vanilla" being thrown around, how I interpret that is how they are playing a very basic Cover 2 & Cover 3 zone defense. In doing this, they are putting players in roles they are not likely to be in once they "scheme" and game plan for opponents. For example, Alec Ogletree was brought here BECAUSE of his athleticism, and his ability to COVER TEs and RBs. When I watch him practice, run stride for stride with Jared Cook on a 12 yard crossing route, he just jumps out at you and has that WOW factor.

When they put him in a soft zone, and all they are looking for him is to get his drop, and react to the play as it develops in front of him, picking up crossing routes, releasing the guy lined up across from him, they are NOT playing to his strengths. Now, assuming they are making a point NOT to show his tendencies in man coverage, and giving Arizona, or Atlanta ways to exploit those tendencies, that would be "sandbagging".

While I agree the tackling as a team has been a point of concern, if you look around the league, its a COMMON problem early in the preseason. Again, I have stated that the lack of full contact in camp is a big reason why. And as they get closer to Sept 8th, I anticipate that to change with more FULL PADDED practices.

They have been in FULL PADS FOUR TIMES in four weeks of training camp, and there has been ZERO "tackle to the ground" practices in those same four weeks.