Camp Report 8/19/14

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Thanks for the report Coach....and no questions from me....o_O....oh well, Matt Daniels, what's he looking like? Do you know what his injury was?

BuffaloRam

Pro Bowler
I was hoping that Hayes was gonna be in the mix this week... Could he be heading to the IR?

CoachO

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Who is the 6th I'm pretty sure who top 5 are

Jenkins, Johnson, Joyner, Gaines, McGee and Woodard...not that I necessarily agree, but in terms of reps when they are all healthy, that is how they stack up

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Thanks for the report Coach....and no questions from me....o_O....oh well, Matt Daniels, what's he looking like? Do you know what his injury was?
HE was back out there today, after missing time yet again. I believe it was a hamstring AGAIN!!! He took his turn on the 2nd unit Punt team, and 3rd unit reps at SS. Really didn't show much one way or another.

IMO, he needs to stay on the field the rest of the Preseason, and show he still belongs. If he can, I think they would prefer to keep him as a 5th Safety, than reach to keep a 6th CB. He is included on too many ST, when compared to Reid or Roberson.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Great to hear Bryant and Alexander are catching on.

Also happy to hear Hooey holding his own. I felt bad for the guy Saturday.

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
You're the best coach. As always, thanks so much.

Thoughts on Saffold? I guess we don't know what we don't know but the longer we don't know the more we are allowed conspiracy theories as alluded to by @PhxRam.

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman
Interesting that they put Cody Davis with the #1s in dime rather than Mo A, but I guess that makes sense. Cody has been getting a lot of time as 1 deep safety from what I've seen.

With Bryant showing his stuff, that might put... Roberson, Woodard... onto the practice squad, and that's just as well afaic. This team has a huge "for sale" sign on the 5th safety spot, begging for someone to step up. I get the feeling that Bryant (despite being undersized) would have been a much higher pick if he could have stayed healthy.

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman
@CoachO 3-2 dime or 4-1? And if 3-2, which LB would come out, Ogletree or Laurinaitis? In my mind, I'd almost be leaning towards a 3-2 dime where either of Ogletree or Laurinaitis could come after the QB, or perhaps Joyner from the slot, or TJ McD sneaking up to come. 3rd and long, and anywhere from 3 to 7 players could be coming from any number of places.

The 3 could (eventually) be Donald / Quinn / Long once Donald really gets his thing going, maybe Hayes / Quinn / Long otherwise.

simonblaze

Pro Bowler
Name
Simonblaze
He looks better than he did the first 3 weeks of camp. But I still think he faces long odds to stick on the 53 man roster. He really needs to show something in the return game, because thus far, he isn't in the top 6 as a CB.

Appreciate the reports coach. Other than Gaines, who do you see at CB that you think is at least capable of contributing on D even if it's next year? I had hopes for Woodard but from what I read he doesn't sound like he's gonna make the roster.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
CoachO

How does Jarrod Bryant look? I know had a good practice but does he look like he belongs overall? The Rams don't have his height at corner and was wondering if he moves like a shorter guy and has quickness. Likely to be cut? Or enough potential for the PS?

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Interesting that they put Cody Davis with the #1s in dime rather than Mo A, but I guess that makes sense. Cody has been getting a lot of time as 1 deep safety from what I've seen.

With Bryant showing his stuff, that might put... Roberson, Woodard... onto the practice squad, and that's just as well afaic. This team has a huge "for sale" sign on the 5th safety spot, begging for someone to step up. I get the feeling that Bryant (despite being undersized) would have been a much higher pick if he could have stayed healthy.

Keep in mind, Gaines will most likely be in that mix rather than having McLeod step up into one of the slot positions. Leaving McLeod as one of the two deep safeties.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
@CoachO 3-2 dime or 4-1? And if 3-2, which LB would come out, Ogletree or Laurinaitis? In my mind, I'd almost be leaning towards a 3-2 dime where either of Ogletree or Laurinaitis could come after the QB, or perhaps Joyner from the slot, or TJ McD sneaking up to come. 3rd and long, and anywhere from 3 to 7 players could be coming from any number of places.

The 3 could (eventually) be Donald / Quinn / Long once Donald really gets his thing going, maybe Hayes / Quinn / Long otherwise.
They ran both, a 4 man front, and a 3 man front. The best option with a 3 man front is Quinn, Brockers, Long. And with Laurinaitis not practicing it really doesnt make much sense to even pay attention what LBs stay out there. IT WILL be Laurinaitis and Ogletree in the 2 LB sets, Laurinaitis in the 4-1-6 set.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
You're the best coach. As always, thanks so much.

Thoughts on Saffold? I guess we don't know what we don't know but the longer we don't know the more we are allowed conspiracy theories as alluded to by @PhxRam.
Saffold looks fine, and I would guess he will be back at full participation if not later this week, then definitely first part of next week.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Thanks Coach as always great information both in the report and answers. A lot of attention on the defense in this report and not a lot on the O. Were all the pass break ups spread around as far as who was throwing? I would hope that Bradford and th WRs are a little more in tune and making plays even in drills.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Appreciate the reports coach. Other than Gaines, who do you see at CB that you think is at least capable of contributing on D even if it's next year? I had hopes for Woodard but from what I read he doesn't sound like he's gonna make the roster.
I guess I am a little different than most on here, in that I don't look beyond THIS YEAR when it comes to the depth guys. How are they going to contribute NOW? Other than a guy like Christian Bryant, who came hurt, has missed substantial practice time, I don't see the UDFA CBs for example, as being anything more than Practice Squad candidates.

Roberson has shown to have good cover skills, but lacks the overall game to be considered anyone who is going to help out THIS YEAR. Reid has come on of late, and has shown a physical side, has made a few plays, but overall lacks consistent cover skills. His best chance to contribute THIS YEAR is to take advantage of the opening in the KR role, and thus far he hasn't shown to be even close to his former production in that area.

Woodard needs to be on the field to show he has developed. The problem with that is, when he was on the field early on in camp, he didn't show much of anything.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I guess I am a little different than most on here, in that I don't look beyond THIS YEAR when it comes to the depth guys. How are they going to contribute NOW? Other than a guy like Christian Bryant, who came hurt, has missed substantial practice time, I don't see the UDFA CBs for example, as being anything more than Practice Squad candidates.

Roberson has shown to have good cover skills, but lacks the overall game to be considered anyone who is going to help out THIS YEAR. Reid has come on of late, and has shown a physical side, has made a few plays, but overall lacks consistent cover skills. His best chance to contribute THIS YEAR is to take advantage of the opening in the KR role, and thus far he hasn't shown to be even close to his former production in that area.

Woodard needs to be on the field to show he has developed. The problem with that is, when he was on the field early on in camp, he didn't show much of anything.

How does Jarrod Bryant look? I know had a good practice but does he look like he belongs overall? The Rams don't have his height at corner and was wondering if he moves like a shorter guy and has quickness. Likely to be cut? Or enough potential for the PS?

I agree that most UDFAs dont warrant a lot of interest but when they are from smaller schools I tend to wonder a bit more. They are more unknown. For instance that WR named Brown from Pittsburgh State is looking like a steal.

RamWoodie

Legend
Good report as usual coach. The one thing I'm upset with from the two PS games is the tackling. Are they spending time on that...the arm tackling JUST WON'T GET IT!!! :mad:

CoachO

Hall of Fame

I agree that most UDFAs dont warrant a lot of interest but when they are from smaller schools I tend to wonder a bit more. They are more unknown. For instance that WR named Brown from Pittsburgh State is looking like a steal.
Honestly, until yesterdays practice, he was barely noticeable. He may have the size, but he has struggled. I would be very surprised to see him not be one of the first cuts next week. And IMO, doesnt warrant any PS consideration.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Good report as usual coach. The one thing I'm upset with from the two PS games is the tackling. Are they spending time on that...the arm tackling JUST WON'T GET IT!!! :mad:
IF you call using the tackling dummies, and pads working on it, then yes. But the new CBA rules just don't allow for teams to do any full contact, "Take them to the ground" live tackling.

Fisher consistently talks about how the players "protect one another" which is exactly what he means as it pertains to full contact.