Camp Report - 8/19/13

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Camp Report 8/19/13

Players not participating: Lance Kendricks; Jemelle Cudjo; Matt Giordano; Rodger Saffold ; Sammy Brown; Sean Hooey; Jabara Williams; Eugene Sims; TJ McDonald; Darian Stewart; Scott Wells (vet day off) ; Tavon Austin (excused for personal reasons)

Lance Kendricks joined the huddle in “walk through’s” with 1st & 2nd units
Then ran routes off to the side. Did not participate in TEAM DRILLS

Ray Armstrong seemed “gimpy” throughout practice, seemed to come up limping after unit drills on more than one occasion

Offensive Line:

Interesting development in the Offensive Line Units:

1st Unit: Long C. Williams Barnes Dahl Barksdale
2nd Unit: Nsekhe S. Smith B. Jones B. Washington C. Williams
LG rotation holds true for another day

Today: 2nd unit QB was Austin Davis was taking the 2nd unit reps; Kellen Clemens back to 3rd unit

Theme of the day: Who’s Next? Lots of “back ups” step up!

• WR’s & RBs work on RUN BLOCKING in unit drills

• With Tavon Austin absent, Brian Quick Got 1st team Reps, with Austin Pettis taking reps in the Slot

Stedman Bailey continues to get primarily reps with the 2nd Unit

Nick Veltung & Andrew Helmick taking 2nd Unit reps in slot

• With Darian Stewart & TJ McDonald sitting out, Matt Daniels & Rodney McLeod took ALL 1st Unit Reps at Safety
o Cody Davis & Rashard Hall taking all 2nd Unit reps

Daryl Richardson & Isaiah Pead continued to share 1st Unit reps at RB
o Zac Stacy back at practice, getting reps with the 2nd Unit

Austin Pettis had his best practice in a while. Was targeted A LOT in RedZone, made back to back receptions for TD’s

Stedman Bailey seems to have hit the proverbial “wall”. Struggled again to get open, and dropped a couple passes in succession

Austin Davis contiines to struggle with his accuracy. 1st pass in SEVEN on SEVEN is and INT (over throw INT by Rashard Hall), 1st pass in ELEVEN on ELEVEN INT by Brandon McGee

Cody Davis just makes plays…. Both he and Rodney McLeod have the best “instincts” among all of the Safeties

Brian Quick had ONE drop on a deep dig route, early in ELEVEN on ELEVEN, then comes right back and makes TWO nice catches in traffic. One using his size and strength to shield the defender (McGee) and the other on a crossing route, using his speed to create SEPARATION and turned it upfield.

Player Observations

Zach Stacy most likely will be the “featured” RB this week in Denver. Was getting plenty of reps now that he returned

• Look for Andrew Helmick to get a look in the Return game. He was fielding both Punts and Kickoffs

• During the Special Team portion of practice, while they were working on “punt blocks” Justin Veltung had a long one on one “conversation” with Head Coach Jeff Fisher, (a former Punt Returner) about some of the finer points of fielding punts. Nice moment when the HC takes the time to give you individual instruction.

• Practice Finished up with "Gassers" (sprints) with each unit running as a group, and then Fisher would call out the number of a player who committed a penalty, and his respective unit got to run an extra sprint. Needless to say, after TEN Penalties, most of which being on the Oline and Dline, the "bigs" were pretty well spent by the time they were finished.

Ram4life11

Rookie
CoachO said:
Camp Report 8/19/13

Players not participating: Lance Kendricks; Jemelle Cudjo; Matt Giordano; Rodger Saffold ; Sammy Brown; Sean Hooey; Jabara Williams; Eugene Sims; TJ McDonald; Darian Stewart; Scott Wells (vet day off) ; Tavon Austin (excused for personal reasons)

Lance Kendricks joined the huddle in “walk through’s” with 1st & 2nd units
Then ran routes off to the side. Did not participate in TEAM DRILLS

Ray Armstrong seemed “gimpy” throughout practice, seemed to come up limping after unit drills on more than one occasion

Offensive Line:

Interesting development in the Offensive Line Units:

1st Unit: Long C. Williams Barnes Dahl Barksdale
2nd Unit: Nsekhe S. Smith B. Jones B. Washington C. Williams
LG rotation holds true for another day

Today: 2nd unit QB was Austin Davis was taking the 2nd unit reps; Kellen Clemens back to 3rd unit

Theme of the day: Who’s Next? Lots of “back ups” step up!

• WR’s & RBs work on RUN BLOCKING in unit drills

• With Tavon Austin absent, Brian Quick Got 1st team Reps, with Austin Pettis taking reps in the Slot

Stedman Bailey continues to get primarily reps with the 2nd Unit

Nick Veltung & Andrew Helmick taking 2nd Unit reps in slot

• With Darian Stewart & TJ McDonald sitting out, Matt Daniels & Rodney McLeod took ALL 1st Unit Reps at Safety
o Cody Davis & Rashard Hall taking all 2nd Unit reps

Daryl Richardson & Isaiah Pead continued to share 1st Unit reps at RB
o Zac Stacy back at practice, getting reps with the 2nd Unit

Austin Pettis had his best practice in a while. Was targeted A LOT in RedZone, made back to back receptions for TD’s

Stedman Bailey seems to have hit the proverbial “wall”. Struggled again to get open, and dropped a couple passes in succession

Austin Davis contiines to struggle with his accuracy. 1st pass in SEVEN on SEVEN is and INT (over throw INT by Rashard Hall), 1st pass in ELEVEN on ELEVEN INT by Brandon McGee

Cody Davis just makes plays…. Both he and Rodney McLeod have the best “instincts” among all of the Safeties

Brian Quick had ONE drop on a deep dig route, early in ELEVEN on ELEVEN, then comes right back and makes TWO nice catches in traffic. One using his size and strength to shield the defender (McGee) and the other on a crossing route, using his speed to create SEPARATION and turned it upfield.

Player Observations

Zach Stacy most likely will be the “featured” RB this week in Denver. Was getting plenty of reps now that he returned

• Look for Andrew Helmick to get a look in the Return game. He was fielding both Punts and Kickoffs

• During the Special Team portion of practice, while they were working on “punt blocks” Justin Veltung had a long one on one “conversation” with Head Coach Jeff Fisher, (a former Punt Returner) about some of the finer points of fielding punts. Nice moment when the HC takes the time to give you individual instruction.

• Practice Finished up with "Gassers" (sprints) with each unit running as a group, and then Fisher would call out the number of a player who committed a penalty, and his respective unit got to run an extra sprint. Needless to say, after TEN Penalties, most of which being on the Oline and Dline, the "bigs" were pretty well spent by the time they were finished.

Anything on B.Cunningham or T.Ganaway???

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
:yahoo:

TexRamFan

Rookie
CoachO said:
Practice Finished up with "Gassers" (sprints) with each unit running as a group, and then Fisher would call out the number of a player who committed a penalty, and his respective unit got to run an extra sprint. Needless to say, after TEN Penalties, most of which being on the Oline and Dline, the "bigs" were pretty well spent by the time they were finished.

As always Coach, great work!

I was curious what Fisher would do to address the penalties. Hopefully this along with game film and another week of studying and getting after it will bring us one step closer to putting a thumping on 'Zona!

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
X said:
:yahoo:

Yup. Seemed like a no brainer.

Wonder why it took them so long to give up on Pead as a KR. He ain't that.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ram4life11 said:
Anything on B.Cunningham or T.Ganaway???

Cunningham got reps with the 2nd & 3rd units in practice today. He continues to show he can play at this level. That being said, if they stay with the same "plan" in this week's game, I'm guessing that Cunningham may be the odd man out vs. Denver. Just not enough reps to go around when they need to evaluate 6 RBs.

Stacy got a lot of work after missing the past few practices, and Ganaway took reps with the 3rd unit. While I have to say I am surprised, he seems to be the one guy who they are taking reps away from as they try to get a look at the younger (new) guys like Cunningham and Stacy.

A55VA6

Legend
Thanks coach.

I feel like Rodney McLeod could be a starter on this team. He is really impressive.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
A55VA6 said:
Thanks coach.

I feel like Rodney McLeod could be a starter on this team. He is really impressive.

No argument here. He made his share of plays today as well, taking advantage of the 1st unit reps with Stewart sitting on the sidelines.

lockdnram21

Legend
A55VA6 said:
Thanks coach.

Yea me to I think he will have stewart job. McLeod just looks like a ball hawk to me

bluecoconuts

Legend
Sounds good, hopefully Bailey will break through the wall soon so he can continue to grow, I'm sure he will though.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
lockdnram21 said:
Do you think Quick will see any 1st team reps during pre season?

Hard to say. He is getting PLENTY during practice, and has since DAY ONE. You would think at some point they would try to work him in.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
CoachO said:
lockdnram21 said:
Do you think Quick will see any 1st team reps during pre season?

Hard to say. He is getting PLENTY during practice, and has since DAY ONE. You would think at some point they would try to work him in.
Maybe he's part of the secret plan?

I can say that I truly believe that the Rams have shown nothing on Offense or Defense yet on purpose. I didn't see game 2, but game 1 they looked like they didn't even try. I went to training camp and they practiced much faster and much crisper during practice.

I too hope Bailey gets over the wall. He is a rookie and at some point they tend to hit the wall. I think his future is bright, but like most receivers will likely be much better year 2 than year 1.

At least Givens and Cook are producing. Those two people alone are better than anything we had catching the ball since Holt left.

iBruce

Pro Bowler
Name
Cory
Hoping Helmick can earn the 6th WR spot this weekend with a KR TD.