Camp Report - 8/16/13

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
CoachO said:
bluecoconuts said:
Does it seem that they're trying to phase in Daniels over Davis?

What did that "Fan" do anyway? Just boo or what?

I think they are trying to get Daniels back up to speed, and get him as many reps THIS WEEK, as possible. He didn't play a down last week, C. Davis played more than anyone.

It should be fun to see how they look on MONDAY, when they get back on the practice field.

not sure who it was, there were a group of fans all standing along the fence in the "Season Ticket Holders" tent in the far endzone. (behind the play).

Austin dropped the first ball, from the jugs machine, as they were just adjusting the distance. The next "kick" was during the coverage team's first rep, so Austin was back there alone (no return blockers) and he dropped the ball again. Out of nowhere, some "fan" YELLS, " WE CANT HAVE THAT AUSTIN, YOU NEED TO BE BETTER THAN THAT!"

It was one of those moments when everything else goes quiet, and this voice boomed over everything else. Even the players seemed taken aback by it. Everything has been so positive so far at camp, this was like the heckler in the crowd, which is what made it so noticeable.

Actually, I love this! Was that fan a Fisher plant? I mean that is exactly what a rookie needs to hear from the peanut gallery. Adversity now at camp to prepare a rookie in the NFL for what is about to come from all angles in all stadiums. Kinda like piping in crowd noise, this will help Austin be prepared. I bet Tavon will hear that voice tonight when he lays his head on the pillow.

And thanks again CoachO for the your well-done report!

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
While Dahl has taken no reps at RT, I believe he is #4 which would leave that scenario as Long, Smith, Wells, Williams, and Dahl as that particular choice if both Saffold and Barksdale go down. If Saffold and Long go down it would be Barksdale, Smith, Wells, Williams, and Dahl. Frankly, Nsekhe is emergency only until next year althought they are clearly trying to maximize his potential because of his size and strength (lack of foot speed not withstanding).

While I like the increased depth and understand the concept that you overdraft "skill" difference makers over O-Linemen, (I'm grateful for Couch 'Bou's ability to "coach up"), my Ram roots still pine for the days of a Tom Mack and Dennis Harrah. I realize they never produced Super Bowls, but they make a guy like me happy to see my team punish it's opposition as opposed to outsmarting or out quicking them. I guess I just have too much John Robinson philosophy in me though Martz fleetingly sold Vermeil on the 99 season.

Still, depth be damned, Long, Williams, Wells, Dahl, and Saffold are slightly better than the starting Ram olines over the span of the franchise. They certainly are an upgrade over what was fielded the last few years.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Ramhusker said:
Actually, I love this! Was that fan a Fisher plant? I mean that is exactly what a rookie needs to hear from the peanut gallery. Adversity now at camp to prepare a rookie in the NFL for what is about to come from all angles in all stadiums. Kinda like piping in crowd noise, this will help Austin be prepared. I bet Tavon will hear that voice tonight when he lays his head on the pillow.

That is exactly what I thought when I first heard about this... that Fish was just trying to get Tavon prepared for what's to come.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Stranger said:
Ramhusker said:

That is exactly what I thought when I first heard about this... that Fish was just trying to get Tavon prepared for what's to come.

With all due respect guys, this was NOT any "plant". This was a single outburst from an obnoxious fan, who went on to "comment" (not as loudly) when Nick Johnson or Justin Veltung CAUGHT the ball. Sounds to me, that it was merely someone who isn't a big fan of Austin and blurted out something at the exact time that he could be heard over everything else.

FRO

Legend
CoachO said:
Stranger said:
Ramhusker said:

With all due respect guys, this was NOT any "plant". This was a single outburst from an obnoxious fan, who went on to "comment" (not as loudly) when Nick Johnson or Justin Veltung CAUGHT the ball. Sounds to me, that it was merely someone who isn't a big fan of Austin and blurted out something at the exact time that he could be heard over everything else.
Probably mizzouman from the other board

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
CoachO said:
Stranger said:
Ramhusker said:

That's what I'm hearing too from camp-goers. Patty said at one point this guy kept yelling out "Get low and STICK 'EM!" during defensive drills.
They do have a no open container policy there, right? :lol:

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Memphis Ram said:
Any chance Barksdale could turn out to be a better RT than Saffold?

Hard to say that, but it would be sort of ironic, with all the talk of Saffold discontent with the move (or perceived discontent), if he actually came back only to lose his starting job, and hence becoming the swing Tackle.

Highly Unlikely, but it was something "Hammer" and I discussed briefly. DeMarco Farr has brought it up a few times on his radio show. That Barksdale's focus right now should be, play well enough that they are forced to leave him there. These are the things that coaches love to see.

Players taking advantage of the opportunity, and making the coaches HAVE to make a decision.

RAM$

UDFA
On the Austin heckler I would react the same way, I've been a Rams fan since i starting playing youth football in 97, and in these past years I've grown tired of all the drops from receivers and our qbs getting killed. I think that fan expects a lot out of Tavon and I'm glad he said something, lets the players know that some fans are tired of this franchise flopping and care that the players perform.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
RAM$ said:
On the Austin heckler I would react the same way, I've been a Rams fan since i starting playing youth football in 97, and in these past years I've grown tired of all the drops from receivers and our qbs getting killed. I think that fan expects a lot out of Tavon and I'm glad he said something, lets the players know that some fans are tired of this franchise flopping and care that the players perform.

Good luck with that!!! This was a walkthrough practice. Feel free to act like that in this setting, and you WILL look like a fool!

This organization does everything it can within reason to make this a "fan friendly" FAMILY type environment. Not the time for fans to get stuff off their chest from PAST frustrations.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
RAM$ sticking his toe in guppy infested waters:

Welcome to the ROD! :zomg: :ja: :dancin: :nana: :wewt: :clap: :cheers:

Stop by the members map and pin your location. You also might want to check out our Facebook page. Apparently it's hot shit. :lol:

RAM$

UDFA
Ya I see where your coming from I'm a chill guy I wouldnt blurt it out like that and be obnoxious to others around me, just in my head I would be saying the same thing as the heckler. And as for the organization I love whats happening right now, I love the Rams with a passion and these past six years I've had to deal with other teams fans saying "you like the Rams?!?!" so I have past frustration built in me.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Yeah we all have. And I don't think thoughts running through your head is all too unusual. Being that obnoxious fan no one wants to be next to imo is always a problem.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 4

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
RAM$ said:

And as a person who played the game of football, did fans screaming at you when you messed up ever make you do better?

I know it sure didn't help me...especially when I played baseball. In football, it was a lot easier to tune it out. But baseball...I was a mediocre fielder and one of the other kids on the team had one of those helicopter dads that never shut up. I made an error and the guy started ripping into me. I was 13 or 14 years old at the time...did not help. Because I was so upset at myself(and this guy wasn't helping)...I ended up botching the next ball hit to me. And, of course, the guy blew up again. At this point, my dad(a 6'3" 250 pound man) stood up and told him in as many words to sit down and shut up.

He did.

Austin isn't a kid and I'm sure it didn't bother him one bit, he's been through worse but at the same time, it's not like yelling at the guy and heckling him does any good. Tavon had nothing to do with this franchise flopping or past players not performing. You're taking out the frustration on the wrong guy and it does no one any good.

V3

Hall of Fame
CoachO said:
V3 said:
CoachO said:
V3 said:
I still think that they'll end up trading a player from one of our strong positions(probably a RB) for an OT or OG right before final cuts. I really don't like our O-line depth and I'm still not sure about some of our starters.

and by TRADING for an OT? we are going to find someone better than what is there now? for a back up RB? Color me skeptical.

Barksdale is showing to be pretty reliable, and Williams is now the 4th OT, if need be.

The depth is a whole lot better than just looking at the guys they have plugged into POSITIONS of a Depth Chart. The biggest strength, IMO, is the versatility of the parts. They are pretty solid NINE deep.

I never said he'd be a starter. He'll obviously be a backup and I expect them to look at teams that are heavy at the OT or OG position to find a trade partner. Other teams will be heavy at certain positions just like the Rams are heavy at RB. We can't keep them all just like they won't be able to keep them all. Teams make trades like that every year. Softli even suggested the Rams could do something like this. Sorry if I don't share your optimism for our current group of backups for O-line.

I anticipate they will keep NINE on the 53 man roster.

Assuming that Long, Saffold and Barksdale are locks at Tackle, and C. Williams/S. Smith and Dahl are locks at Guard. That leaves Wells, Barnes and Jones to fill out the NINE many unit.

Not sure who you eliminate from that group, assuming you find a trade partner. If Williams is in fact the LG, Smith then becomes the swing Guard, with Barnes being capable of filling in there in an emergency.

Barnes is without a doubt, the most improved guy of the bunch, and has shown to be quite good as Wells replacement.

As I mentioned, in the event they have to go 4 deep at Tackle, Williams slides into that spot, with Smith now at Guard. that leave Jones as the WildCard. (they aren't getting rid of Jones under any circumstance this year).

That puts someone like Washington back on the Practice Squad, along with either Nsekhe or someone like Young if he shows anything in the next 3 weeks.

I'm just wondering if you still feel like these backups are worth keeping. I saw nothing from the first preseason game or this preseason game that makes me feel as confident as you are in them. I still think they're looking for extras from other teams.