Camp Report - 8/16/13

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Camp Report 8/16/13

Players not participating: Lance Kendricks; Jemelle Cudjo; Matt Giordano; Rodger Saffold ; Sammy Brown; Sean Hooey; Jabara Williams; Eugene Sims; Zac Stacy

Highlight of Todays Practice: Lance Kendricks running routes and catching passes from our “backup” to our backup QB Johnny Hekker

Secondary “highlights”:
Tavon Austin drawing the ire of a “fan” in the endzone after muffing a punt.

• Offensive Line catching passes in unit drills to “warm up”

Torry Holt fielding punts on far field from Hekker (the guy still has INCREDIBLE HANDS)

Offensive Line:Interesting development in the Offensive Line Units:
1st Unit: Long S. Smith Wells Dahl Barksdale
2nd Unit: Nsekhe C. Williams Barnes B. Jones B. Washington

o Brandon Washington took some 2nd unit rep at RT

LG rotation holds true for another day

Today: 2nd unit QB was Kellen Clemens was taking the 2nd unit reps; Austin Davis back to 3rd unit

Theme of the day: WALK THROUGH in Preparation for tomorrow night’s Preseason “Game”

Will Witherspoon now working with 1st unit at OLB; on 2nd Unit Nickel Package

Matt Daniels working with 2nd Unit, rotating with Cody Davis

Trumaine Johnson back with the “1’s” in Nickel Package

Matt Conrath & William Hayes worked at DT with 1st unit in Nickel Package in place of Langford
Justin Veltung & Bennie Cunningham took reps with the 1’s
o Along with Isaiah Pead, look for these guys to get plenty of reps tomorrow
o Daryl Richardson very limited reps

SPECIAL TEAMS : Punt Coverage & Punt Return

OFFENSE & DEFENSE: as basic as it gets. Everything was at 50% speed, typical “WALK THROUGH”

Player Observations
Zach Stacy may be the odd man out vs. Green Bay if today is any indication. He wasn’t even dressed, but didn’t
Matt Daniels is showing up more and more including 1st unit Special Teams

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Now, I think I know what Fisher was saying in the other thread. B. Jones will play Guard early. I'm a little intrigued in Washington at RT, but does he have the technique, or foot speed. This is Washington's last chance, IMO. Who's the third LT? Williams.

Was that a typo of Benny Cunningham in the slot, and not Helmick? Richardson probably has nothing left to prove, and they probably want to see who will make the team at RB. Want to get the others quality reps.

We'll have to see how it all plays out, but Conrath could make a push for the 1st team, although DT is a rotational position.

Sounds like they are really giving Daniels an opportunity to lock in a spot on a unit that has some pretty decent depth when everyone is healthy.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
DR RAM said:
Now, I think I know what Fisher was saying in the other thread. B. Jones will play Guard early. I'm a little intrigued in Washington at RT, but does he have the technique, or foot speed. This is Washington's last chance, IMO. Who's the third LT? Williams.

Was that a typo of Benny Cunningham in the slot, and not Helmick? Richardson probably has nothing left to prove, and they probably want to see who will make the team at RB. Want to get the others quality reps.

We'll have to see how it all plays out, but Conrath could make a push for the 1st team, although DT is a rotational position.

Sounds like they are really giving Daniels an opportunity to lock in a spot on a unit that has some pretty decent depth when everyone is healthy.

YEs, typo about Cunningham in the slot. its been corrected! Thank you!

Don't be so sure you may see Washington at Tackle. Since today was C. Williams day on the 2nd unit, somebody had to slide out there, which at the same time, "opened up a spot" at RG. I have a suspicion that Barksdale may get extended time tomorrow, and eventually you will see W. Williams take a few reps at RT.

I suspect when they go to the 2nd OLINE group, you will see Washington at RG, and C. Williams at RG, with Barksdale continuing at RT. When they eventually go the 3rd LG, Williams may get some reps a RT as well.

I honestly don't see any indications that they are concerned about Langford at DT. But, Conrath and/or Hayes in the Nickel is consistent what they did LAST YEAR in these passing situations. They REALLY like Conrath at the LOS, with his height and reach.

RustyRay

Rookie
Washington played T at the U..I am honestly kind of surprised he has struggled some.. I expected big things from him in this camp.

Hope he can find his footing soon, he is a big strong talented kid...He could really help the team and be a future starter if he can get it together...

CoachO

Hall of Fame
RustyRay said:
Washington played T at the U..I am honestly kind of surprised he has struggled some.. I expected big things from him in this camp.

Hope he can find his footing soon, he is a big strong talented kid...He could really help the team and be a future starter if he can get it together...

It would make things easier, and I'm not disagreeing with you. But I have to say, thus far, Washington and Nsekhe have both been less then impressive. The footwork is very slow compared to most of the other "regulars" in the top two units.

And given his size, I actually expected more of a physical presence from Washington. Unless the light bulb comes on pretty soon, he has practice squad written all over him again.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
CoachO said:
RustyRay said:

It would make things easier, and I'm not disagreeing with you. But I have to say, thus far, Washington and Nsekhe have both been less then impressive. The footwork is very slow compared to most of the other "regulars" in the top two units.

And given his size, I actually expected more of a physical presence from Washington. Unless the light bulb comes on pretty soon, he has practice squad written all over him again.
IMO, you can't coach up slow feet.

Ram4life11

Rookie
CoachO said:
Camp Report 8/16/13

Players not participating: Lance Kendricks; Jemelle Cudjo; Matt Giordano; Rodger Saffold ; Sammy Brown; Sean Hooey; Jabara Williams; Eugene Sims; Zac Stacy

Highlight of Todays Practice: Lance Kendricks running routes and catching passes from our “backup” to our backup QB Johnny Hekker

Secondary “highlights”:
Tavon Austin drawing the ire of a “fan” in the endzone after muffing a punt.

• Offensive Line catching passes in unit drills to “warm up”

Torry Holt fielding punts on far field from Hekker (the guy still has INCREDIBLE HANDS)

Offensive Line:Interesting development in the Offensive Line Units:
1st Unit: Long S. Smith Wells Dahl Barksdale

2nd Unit: Nsekhe C. Williams Barnes B. Jones B. Washington

o Brandon Washington took some 2nd unit rep at RT

LG rotation holds true for another day

Today: 2nd unit QB was Kellen Clemens was taking the 2nd unit reps; Austin Davis back to 3rd unit

Theme of the day: WALK THROUGH in Preparation for tomorrow night’s Preseason “Game”

Will Witherspoon now working with 1st unit at OLB; on 2nd Unit Nickel Package

Matt Daniels working with 2nd Unit, rotating with Cody Davis

Trumaine Johnson back with the “1’s” in Nickel Package

Matt Conrath & William Hayes worked at DT with 1st unit in Nickel Package in place of Langford
Justin Veltung & Bennie Cunningham took reps with the 1’s
o Along with Isaiah Pead, look for these guys to get plenty of reps tomorrow
o Daryl Richardson very limited reps

SPECIAL TEAMS : Punt Coverage & Punt Return

OFFENSE & DEFENSE: as basic as it gets. Everything was at 50% speed, typical “WALK THROUGH”

Player Observations
Zach Stacy may be the odd man out vs. Green Bay if today is any indication. He wasn’t even dressed, but didn’t
Matt Daniels is showing up more and more including 1st unit Special Teams

Will Ganaway be playing tomorrow? I've heard from a few sources that DRich will be limited. And that Stacey isn't playing...

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Ram4life11 said:
Will Ganaway be playing tomorrow? I've heard from a few sources that DRich will be limited. And that Stacey isn't playing...

Based on the walk through today, I would suggest that's a safe bet. Pead and Cunningham lok to be the "featured" RBs for tomorrow. Ganaway and Reynolds were also getting reps.

Fisher has said (more than once) that he wants to give ALL the RBs a chance to run with the #1 OLINE. Looks like its Pead and Cunningham THIS WEEK.

With SIX RBs needing to all be given a look, there just aren't enough reps to go around in any ONE GAME. So last week, Ganaway was the one who was INACTIVE, Stacy THIS week. Maybe a token appearance from Richardson.

With the 3rd Preseason generally being the one closets to the "dress rehearsal", it would figure than NEXT week, Richardson, Pead and Stacy would get the lion's share of work. That leave Game 4 vs. Baltimore and the time for the likes of Ganaway, Cunningham, and Reynolds, (yes he is still in the mix) to get their opportunity.

biggame1190

Starter
Name
CB
Happy to hear Matt Daniels is getting good reps. Im very excited to see him back on the field again tomorrow!

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
Thanks again for the great work you're doing CoachO!

Good to hear about my man Veltung. Did you see both Veltung and Helmick in action and if so, how did they look?

bluecoconuts

Legend
Does it seem that they're trying to phase in Daniels over Davis?

What did that "Fan" do anyway? Just boo or what?

CoachO

Hall of Fame
albefree69 said:
Thanks again for the great work you're doing CoachO!

Good to hear about my man Veltung. Did you see both Veltung and Helmick in action and if so, how did they look?

At this point, mainly due to the hamstring, I'd say Helmick has lost some ground in the competition for that last WR spot.

He was running routes with the "scout team" as they ran thru plays for the 1st and 2nd unit defense.

He doesn't appear to be all the way back from the hamstring.

Veltung, on the other hand, seems to be taking advantage of the opportunity. he has also been in on things as a punt returner.

The final few weeks should be very interesting to see how this particular battle plays out. But IMO, that we have two guys like this vying for the 6th spot on this team, compared to what we were left with in the past, says ALOT.

V3

Hall of Fame
I still think that they'll end up trading a player from one of our strong positions(probably a RB) for an OT or OG right before final cuts. I really don't like our O-line depth and I'm still not sure about some of our starters.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
bluecoconuts said:
Does it seem that they're trying to phase in Daniels over Davis?

What did that "Fan" do anyway? Just boo or what?

I think they are trying to get Daniels back up to speed, and get him as many reps THIS WEEK, as possible. He didn't play a down last week, C. Davis played more than anyone.

It should be fun to see how they look on MONDAY, when they get back on the practice field.

not sure who it was, there were a group of fans all standing along the fence in the "Season Ticket Holders" tent in the far endzone. (behind the play).

Austin dropped the first ball, from the jugs machine, as they were just adjusting the distance. The next "kick" was during the coverage team's first rep, so Austin was back there alone (no return blockers) and he dropped the ball again. Out of nowhere, some "fan" YELLS, " WE CANT HAVE THAT AUSTIN, YOU NEED TO BE BETTER THAN THAT!"

It was one of those moments when everything else goes quiet, and this voice boomed over everything else. Even the players seemed taken aback by it. Everything has been so positive so far at camp, this was like the heckler in the crowd, which is what made it so noticeable.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
V3 said:
I still think that they'll end up trading a player from one of our strong positions(probably a RB) for an OT or OG right before final cuts. I really don't like our O-line depth and I'm still not sure about some of our starters.

and by TRADING for an OT? we are going to find someone better than what is there now? for a back up RB? Color me skeptical.

Barksdale is showing to be pretty reliable, and Williams is now the 4th OT, if need be.

The depth is a whole lot better than just looking at the guys they have plugged into POSITIONS of a Depth Chart. The biggest strength, IMO, is the versatility of the parts. They are pretty solid NINE deep.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Patty (@pigskinarch) was talking about that moron fan too.

Sent via Tapatalk2.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
CoachO with his mind reading parlor tricks again:
The final few weeks should be very interesting to see how this particular battle plays out. But IMO, that we have two guys like this vying for the 6th spot on this team, compared to what we were left with in the past, says ALOT.
Pretty much exactly what I was thinking. Same thing could be said about our RB corps.

V3 wishing on a star:

We can dream can't we? :bg:

There is no doubt in my mind that we'll be cutting or trying to stash on the PS some NFL quality WRs and RBs. That's a remarkable thing to say when you consider where we were before Snisher took over. I say Snisher because I give Snead a large amount of the credit.

V3

Hall of Fame
CoachO said:
V3 said:

and by TRADING for an OT? we are going to find someone better than what is there now? for a back up RB? Color me skeptical.

Barksdale is showing to be pretty reliable, and Williams is now the 4th OT, if need be.

The depth is a whole lot better than just looking at the guys they have plugged into POSITIONS of a Depth Chart. The biggest strength, IMO, is the versatility of the parts. They are pretty solid NINE deep.

I never said he'd be a starter. He'll obviously be a backup and I expect them to look at teams that are heavy at the OT or OG position to find a trade partner. Other teams will be heavy at certain positions just like the Rams are heavy at RB. We can't keep them all just like they won't be able to keep them all. Teams make trades like that every year. Softli even suggested the Rams could do something like this. Sorry if I don't share your optimism for our current group of backups for O-line.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
albefree69 said:
CoachO with his mind reading parlor tricks again:
Pretty much exactly what I was thinking. Same thing could be said about our RB corps.

Keep in mind, with Pead suspended for week one, Cunningham is more likely to be on the initial 53 man roster. Even if their "plan" on placing him on the PS, he may get a week reprieve, or maybe Reynolds is that guy. Who knows?

V3 wishing on a star:

We can dream can't we? :bg:

There is no doubt in my mind that we'll be cutting or trying to stash on the PS some NFL quality WRs and RBs. That's a remarkable thing to say when you consider where we were before Snisher took over. I say Snisher because I give Snead a large amount of the credit.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
V3 said:
CoachO said:
V3 said:

I never said he'd be a starter. He'll obviously be a backup and I expect them to look at teams that are heavy at the OT or OG position to find a trade partner. Other teams will be heavy at certain positions just like the Rams are heavy at RB. We can't keep them all just like they won't be able to keep them all. Teams make trades like that every year. Softli even suggested the Rams could do something like this. Sorry if I don't share your optimism for our current group of backups for O-line.

I anticipate they will keep NINE on the 53 man roster.

Assuming that Long, Saffold and Barksdale are locks at Tackle, and C. Williams/S. Smith and Dahl are locks at Guard. That leaves Wells, Barnes and Jones to fill out the NINE many unit.

Not sure who you eliminate from that group, assuming you find a trade partner. If Williams is in fact the LG, Smith then becomes the swing Guard, with Barnes being capable of filling in there in an emergency.

Barnes is without a doubt, the most improved guy of the bunch, and has shown to be quite good as Wells replacement.

As I mentioned, in the event they have to go 4 deep at Tackle, Williams slides into that spot, with Smith now at Guard. that leave Jones as the WildCard. (they aren't getting rid of Jones under any circumstance this year).

That puts someone like Washington back on the Practice Squad, along with either Nsekhe or someone like Young if he shows anything in the next 3 weeks.