Camp Report 8/14/14

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
You did see how many missed tackles Armstrong had,didn't you ?? He was in the right spot for a couple excellent plays that ended up huge for the Saints.--Mcloud vs Mo. Alexander is no comparison.He is still real raw.
Coach O talked about a 3-2-6 formation with Alexander playing more of a LBer.He is more of a twinned at this point & needs more experience at DB. Both player have talent just not there yet.
Rams would be in a lot of trouble if JL#55 is injured for any length.

Huh?

I saw every tackle Mr. Armstrong missed...I saw some that probably weren't counted as misses where he wasn't in position because he couldn't get off his blocks. I saw Mo Alexander miss a tackle too. I also saw him cover some ground from the deep safety on that one pass play. I saw a rookie....i said McLeod played pretty good. I also saw him getting into some plays, but the ball carrier didn't go down. But he was in pretty good position. I also saw him come up and make some nice tackles/hits. The 3-2-6 sounds like a dime formation, from which Williams may blitz one LB or DB or both or more...Or maybe all 8 drop into coverage. Creative, and what he's known for. I really responded because you brought up Ray Ray Armstrong and I hadn't mentioned him in this post at all..If you want to know my thoughts on Armstrong, here they are, if he plays 2 more games like the last one, I'd cut him for Hill or Wilson....Shoot, I still wanna see Sabino in the game....

CoachO

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I like the Joseph pick up as well.How good is Robinson going to be ? There is no way he sits ?

-The most disappointing thing to me this training camp is B. Jones & B. Washington both being hurt.What a drop off with some of this young offensive lineman.I love players getting there chances,just wish I could have seen how B.Washington would have looked.My guess is he gets cut. It just shows what a huge pick up Joseph was for the depth chart & all/pro experience in the film room.

The biggest thing about the Barrett Jones injury, is it exposed how short handed they are with the younger UDFA's just not being where they need to be.

As far as Washington, I have a feeling his days have been numbered since camp started. He is the perfect example of a player who has managed to stick around because he was the "best" of an otherwise very weak core of depth guys. They have "out drafted" him with the guys that have been brought in the last year. But Joseph's signing kinda sealed his fate.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Jake Long will start and Person and Hooey will get some time again...As coach O stated Person could also get some reps at C

I believe that Person will get the reps while Bradford is in the game. Then Van Dyk may get a look at LT. Not sure how much Wells will play, so Barnes and Person may finish the game at Center. Hooey will get his reps at RT, with the 2nd unit, then may slide over to LT with the 3's.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Have you seen enough of C.Bryant to know if he can compete with Daniels for the 5th safety spot?

Thanks again for the great reports!

Well, at this point, they both are in jeopardy as far as I'm concerned. Daniels because he is missing practice yet again, and C. Bryant because he is still in "catch up" mode from missing all the OTAs and the first two weeks of camp.

That being said, what I have seen of Bryant, I like. He seems to play with a certain "balls to the wall" mentality. He just needs to get up to speed in the defense.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I agree, I actually see this formation being effective against a read option. Short passing routes are clutters in this formation and you can shoot players like Joyner, Ogletree and McDonald specifically to support the run. The QB read is going to change on every play which will cause confusion and its not really a liability against the run as you would think in a run option because it will require lineman to make blocks in space which could be a challenge. Seems like an interesting formation against Seattle and SF.

While you make a good point about this against the read option, I think our base did a pretty good job in limiting the damage last year of the read option. None of the teams that tried to run it, including Washington in Week 2 had much success. With the addition of Ogletree and McDonald, IMO, these players are perfect fits, lined up on opposite sides of the formation to run down a Wilson or Kaepernick, while not compromising the interior of the defense by losing one of the DTs.

RamWoodie

Legend
I tend to agree that a OLine of Long, Robinson, Wells, Saffold, and Barksdale will MAXIMIZE the running game with "bowling ball" Stacy running behind them.

That OLine has the ability to wear down defenses!!!

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Huh?

I saw every tackle Mr. Armstrong missed...I saw some that probably weren't counted as misses where he wasn't in position because he couldn't get off his blocks. I saw Mo Alexander miss a tackle too. I also saw him cover some ground from the deep safety on that one pass play. I saw a rookie....i said McLeod played pretty good. I also saw him getting into some plays, but the ball carrier didn't go down. But he was in pretty good position. I also saw him come up and make some nice tackles/hits. The 3-2-6 sounds like a dime formation, from which Williams may blitz one LB or DB or both or more...Or maybe all 8 drop into coverage. Creative, and what he's known for. I really responded because you brought up Ray Ray Armstrong and I hadn't mentioned him in this post at all..If you want to know my thoughts on Armstrong, here they are, if he plays 2 more games like the last one, I'd cut him for Hill or Wilson....Shoot, I still wanna see Sabino in the game....
Just going by OTA thoughts you had.You never really know how player are until they put on the pads.I see your a realist.
What sleepers do you like so far ?? It's still early in preseason.Players improve week to week.I'm sure there will be different thoughts again.
What did you think of Gains from Mizzu ,or Robertson from Fla. ? Franklin is a kid I liked against Saint,close between him & Blake.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
The biggest thing about the Barrett Jones injury, is it exposed how short handed they are with the younger UDFA's just not being where they need to be.

As far as Washington, I have a feeling his days have been numbered since camp started. He is the perfect example of a player who has managed to stick around because he was the "best" of an otherwise very weak core of depth guys. They have "out drafted" him with the guys that have been brought in the last year. But Joseph's signing kinda sealed his fate.
Sort of knew that going in,but it's nice for a player like that loss his spot while healthy.I liked watching him because he was so fundamentally sound.You don't get false starts & silly penalties either.
I still remember you thinking Saffold should be the backup LT over G.Robinson.I think of all players Saffold should stay on the right side of the ball.Who would be the RT if Barksdale went down ?? My thought is Saffold & put Joesph in at RG. I could be wrong,that is just how I would do it.
I think a lot of Ram fans don't understand how good Robinson is right now,& add his upside is a crazy thought.I remember Hammers thought on guys like that.He & ales Snead call players like that Freaks.
Donald is a Freak,but it's because he is only 285#'s.6' & cat like fast a/hands.Rare player.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Just going by OTA thoughts you had.You never really know how player are until they put on the pads.I see your a realist.
What sleepers do you like so far ?? It's still early in preseason.Players improve week to week.I'm sure there will be different thoughts again.
What did you think of Gains from Mizzu ,or Robertson from Fla. ? Franklin is a kid I liked against Saint,close between him & Blake.
Going off first impressions, it would be hard to not like Gaines. I place a lot of emphasis on plays made vs 1st & 2nd stringers....So, until I see you in the 1st quarter or against the starters in camp, it's really hard to tell. I do go off ability and measureables...I see Roberson has some talent, but he's gotta go against someones 1's. Same with Franklin. Sleepers....Westbrooks is #1...Hill is a real sleeper. Peirson the OT can play. So can Bayer(only question I have is he physical enough, so I still give Cunningham the edge at TE/FB/ST). I still like Mo Alexander, & Bond I liked coming outta UNC. And yes. I'm a realist. This week, some guys should take a huge jump. They've gotten their feet wet, and if they wanna make the team, tomorrow & next weeks games are the prime times to shine.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
While you make a good point about this against the read option, I think our base did a pretty good job in limiting the damage last year of the read option. None of the teams that tried to run it, including Washington in Week 2 had much success. With the addition of Ogletree and McDonald, IMO, these players are perfect fits, lined up on opposite sides of the formation to run down a Wilson or Kaepernick, while not compromising the interior of the defense by losing one of the DTs.

I agree with you. More just thinking about how that wrinkle would work. Can't wait to see it in game situations.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Sort of knew that going in,but it's nice for a player like that loss his spot while healthy.I liked watching him because he was so fundamentally sound.You don't get false starts & silly penalties either.
I still remember you thinking Saffold should be the backup LT over G.Robinson.I think of all players Saffold should stay on the right side of the ball.Who would be the RT if Barksdale went down ?? My thought is Saffold & put Joesph in at RG. I could be wrong,that is just how I would do it.
I think a lot of Ram fans don't understand how good Robinson is right now,& add his upside is a crazy thought.I remember Hammers thought on guys like that.He & ales Snead call players like that Freaks.
Donald is a Freak,but it's because he is only 285#'s.6' & cat like fast a/hands.Rare player.

If you are talking about RT, I'm thinking Sean Hooey gets the first nod. They seem to like what he brings, and the kid has made some nice strides in camp this year. Boudreau seems to like the tall tackles, with the reach hat Hooey at 6'9 can provide. While he can at times have problems with a speed rush, being on the right side, he isn't as likely to come up against that quite as much as he would on the left.

Orchid

Starter
Name
Obert
Well, at this point, they both are in jeopardy as far as I'm concerned. Daniels because he is missing practice yet again, and C. Bryant because he is still in "catch up" mode from missing all the OTAs and the first two weeks of camp.

That being said, what I have seen of Bryant, I like. He seems to play with a certain "balls to the wall" mentality. He just needs to get up to speed in the defense.

Thanks Coach. If they both bomb (injuries/ lack of talent, etc).... who would be next up as a safety or do they go with the 6th DB?

(Yes... I watch safety play first and foremost on the defense).

O

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Thanks Coach. If they both bomb (injuries/ lack of talent, etc).... who would be next up as a safety or do they go with the 6th DB?

(Yes... I watch safety play first and foremost on the defense).

O

If BOTH Daniels and Bryant aren't deemed worthy, they will have no choice but to keep a 6th CB. Assuming they keep more than 9 DBs.

The 4 Safeties who IMO are safe, are McLeod, McDonald, C. Davis, and Alexander.

Orchid

Starter
Name
Obert
If BOTH Daniels and Bryant aren't deemed worthy, they will have no choice but to keep a 6th CB. Assuming they keep more than 9 DBs.

The 4 Safeties who IMO are safe, are McLeod, McDonald, C. Davis, and Alexander.

Thanks. I totally agree with the assessment of the 4 locks for safeties and the decision regarding the 2 bubble safeties. If you/I are correct and they have to keep a 6th CB, I REALLY hope they can get Byrant to the PS.

Thanks
O

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Thanks. I totally agree with the assessment of the 4 locks for safeties and the decision regarding the 2 bubble safeties. If you/I are correct and they have to keep a 6th CB, I REALLY hope they can get Byrant to the PS.

Thanks
O

I personally don't think they will keep 6 CB's. If there aren't 5 Safeties kept, they may only keep 9 DBs.

A320driver

Rookie
Hooey has been god aweful, hopefully he can improve

Really ? What have YOU observed ?
I am buying pretty much what I have read in these threads by Coach O.
While know one by any means is saying he's been super, he has been steadily making good progress from day one of OTAs, and is a good bet to make the 53. Boudreau has put no one else at RT behind Joe as of yet.
You can have Nehske back I guess ?

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Coach O was right on point with Offensive Lineman Mike Person, he's a jack of all trades and has not looked out of place anywhere he has played thus far and that is what it takes to make a football team. Looking forward to Bradford today and hoping to get in the win column for the people who attend the game.

tahoe

Pro Bowler
Really ? What have YOU observed ?
I am buying pretty much what I have read in these threads by Coach O.
While know one by any means is saying he's been super, he has been steadily making good progress from day one of OTAs, and is a good bet to make the 53. Boudreau has put no one else at RT behind Joe as of yet.
You can have Nehske back I guess ?
Just watch for yourself today as Hooey gets beat time after time in tge game.