Camp Report 8/14/14

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Camp Report 8/14/14

Did not practice: Saffold, Washington, B. Jones, K. Jones, Laurinaitis, Brockers, S. Brown, Daniels, Woodard

Pead participated in Special Team (Kickoff Return and Kickoff Coverage) and RB units drills, and ran routes with QBs (Bradford and Hill) throwing

Jenkins participated in unit drills and also 11 on 11 drills (team drill at RCB)

Demetrius Rhaney was carted off the field during the FG unit drills. looked like someone rolled up on him

Days Attire: Shoulder Pads and shorts

A Few Pre-practice Observations:
  • LaMarcus Joyner has been out early everyday this week, working on technique with Asst. Secondary Coach Brandon Fisher
  • Chris Givens out early all week, working on routes, and beating press coverage
  • Cory Harkey, Chase Reynolds, TJ Moe and Jared Cook out every day working with jugs machine catching balls
  • catching Kickoffs (from jugs machine) Veltung, Moe, Reid, Franklin, B. Cunningham, Reynolds and Pead
Special Teams:

Kickoff Coverage:

McDonald Joyner B. Cunningham Armstrong McLeod Zuerlein Pead Bates Harkey Reynolds Bailey/C. Davis
  • Joyner replaces and injured Matt Daniels
Kickoff Return:
1st Unit:

Alexander Ogletree Armstrong Bates Reynolds C. Davis Barnes Harkey Person B. Cunningham Pead
  • Ogletree replaces Steward
  • Person replaces Conrath
2nd Unit:
A. Cunningham Wilson Steward Millard A. Hill Blake Conrath Bayer Sam Gaines Givens
  • Avery Cunningham now in Alexander's spot
Unit Drills:
DB's working on hitting sled, locating and recovering loose ball.
  • Greg Williams observing and commenting: "if you avoid contact you're in the wrong place and on the wrong team! Hit the sled like you mean it!"
  • "Locate the ball, see the ball, pick up the ball"
LB's working onreading pulling linemen (other LBs as blockers)
  • GW: "I'm watching what you are watching" if you haven't figured this out yet, I can't help you!"
  • "Some of you guys act like you have never done this before in your life"
Team Drills:
9 on 9

• Running Game
  • spent a lot of time working on running game. Offensive Line looks to be dominant overall
  • Long and Wells taking all of the 1st unit reps

11 on 11:
1st unit offense:

Long Robinson Wells Joseph Barksdale--- Harkey, Kendricks, Cook, Quick, Britt, Austin--- Stacy, Mason, B. Cunningham --- Bradford
  • Austin took some reps out of the backfield
2nd Unit:
Person Rhaney Barnes Bond Hooey --- Bayer, J. Cunningham, Bailey, Givens, Pettis --- Mason, B. Cunningham --- Hill

3rd Unit:
Van Dyk Person Rhaney Morrell, Dill --- Smelley, Bayer, Blake, Moe, Franklin, Harris --- Reynolds, Watts --- Gilbert

1st Unit Defense:
Long Langford Donald Quinn-- Ogletree, Dunbar, Armstrong--- Johnson, Jenkins, McLeod, McDonald (Joyner in Nickel)

2nd Unit:
Westbrooks, Carrington, Conrath, Sims --- Steward, Bates, Wilson --- Gaines, Roberson, Davis, Alexander (Joyner in Nickel)

3rd Unit:
Sam Harlan Westbrooks K. Brown --- Sabino, A.Hill, Millard --- Reid, J. Bryant, A. Cunningham, C. Bryant (Gaines in Nickel)

2 minute Drill:
  • Bradford rolling out, throwing on the move.
  • Bradford to Quick on sideline fade (30 yard gain)
  • Brian Quick makes a highlight reel catch in EndZone (Britt described it being similar to grabbing a rebound in basketball game on radio interview)
  • Kendricks nice seam route, Bradford hits him in stride
  • Janoris Jenkins participates in team drill

Observations:
  • Rodney McLeod had arguably his best practice.... nice PBU closing on crossing route to Quick
  • Interception on over throw deep sidline
  • Mike Person took more than a few token reps at Center (after Rhaney left practice) in the running game; Including with 1st unit.
  • Greg Williams introduces another "new" look... (3-2-6) Long Langford, Quinn Dunbar Ogletree Jenkins, Johnson, Joyner, McLeod, McDonald & Alexander (in the box)

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
Westbrooks on the second and third units and Sam only on the third unit. Interesting. It seems Britt and Quick will be starting this year for us on the outside. For now at least. Hey coach, when Williams made the comment about not wanting to tackle, was he looking at Roberson with a stern look?

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Thanks CoachO!!! It really sounds like Williams is coaching our guys up. Containing the edges will be a huge jey in our blitzes. Reading pulling linemen is a big part of that, I'd say. NO's exposed our over pursit last game. Valuable reps, here. He's a tough coach, but he sounds like he's fair and is anal with the details. That's a great quality.

Really hoping Quick's string TC carries over.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Westbrooks on the second and third units and Sam only on the third unit. Interesting. It seems Britt and Quick will be starting this year for us on the outside. For now at least. Hey coach, when Williams made the comment about not wanting to tackle, was he looking at Roberson with a stern look?

No comment as to who he may have been looking at.LOL

I figured the Westbrooks note would get some attention... but before everyone starts hyperventilating over it.... It doesnt appear to be more than a rotation thing, and has more to do with Hayes not practicing. Sam has taken more practice reps than any other D-lineman since camp has started. Since Hayes has missed so much of camp, Sam has doubled up since day one. He definitely looks like he has "camp legs".

Westbrooks, on the other hand, has now finished his 6th full practice, and should be well rested. So, it makes sense to get him caught up with the extra reps.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
Ha! What did you think when Alexander and McDonald went trotting out on the field together in that new look? After the whole conversation about them playing the same position. Never disagreed with you personally, but it must have been fun to watch them create the exception.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Ha! What did you think when Alexander and McDonald went trotting out on the field together in that new look? After the whole conversation about them playing the same position. Never disagreed with you personally, but it must have been fun to watch them create the exception.

It was for 3 plays, in the "big dime" package. Alexander was in the box lined up more like a LB than safety. I am not counting on seeing much of this look. But with Williams, who knows?

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
Greg Williams introduces another "new" look... (3-2-6) Long Langford, Quinn Dunbar Ogletree Jenkins, Johnson, Joyner, McLeod, McDonald & Alexander (in the box)

I feel like this would be especially proficient on 3rd and longs. You could sub in the DT with Langford, Donald, Brockers, or even Hayes and get enough of a rush to effect the throw.

RamsAndEwe

Rookie
You give the best Camp Reports Coach O! How is Tavon Austin's route running and receiving game coming along?

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So CoachO..From the last PreSeason Game and the practices to this point..Where is Greg Robinson, development wise? I watched him exclusively on a DVR recording..pausing..watching positioning. The only mistake I really saw that he made was the mix up/missed assignment (playing LG) where Bunkley came in untouched for the Sack on Hill. From then on, I thought he contained everyone he faced at LG and LT. Will he replace Jake Long if he goes down this season?

CoachO

Hall of Fame
You give the best Camp Reports Coach O! How is Tavon Austin's route running and receiving game coming along?

Austin looks fine. If its possible, he is playing faster this year. Which tells me he has a better understanding of the system.

But in all honesty, he isn't the first option very often. And depending on the personnel grouping, he will be sharing reps with Kendricks if they stay with Quick and Britt on the outside. They are working him out of the backfield much more this year, than last. And today they ran him on a reverse that was very well set up. He came in motion, and took the toss, so it was virtually a toss sweep.

I do expect him to get reps in the 2 WR sets, but that may not be until Bailey gets back. Until then, look for him in the slot most of the time.

The whole key for me, as it pertains to Austin, Briitt and Quick have to make an impact. And that will come from the play action game. If defenses have to account for the intermediate routes, that both can be so effective running, that will open things up underneath for Austin. By holding the LBs in play action, and forcing the Safeties to honor Quick and Britt, those crossing routes by Austin are now BEHIND the LBs instead of in front of them. Even if its only a couple of yards, it will give him plenty of room to turn the play up, rather than being in front of the LBS who can string the play out and not give him the room he needs to turn it up.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
@CoachO good to hear GW getting on our young players. Hope to see better execution in the run game in the next few PS games. Do you see the LBs and secondary as being as much of a liability as some (Peter King...maybe myself) for this defense, or is it too early to really worry about? I try not to get too critical this time of year, but seem to see a lot of the same gaps when I see them on TV. I trust your eyes and experience when you see them up close to give us more of a realistic evaluation.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
So CoachO..From the last PreSeason Game and the practices to this point..Where is Greg Robinson, development wise? I watched him exclusively on a DVR recording..pausing..watching positioning. The only mistake I really saw that he made was the mix up/missed assignment (playing LG) where Bunkley came in untouched for the Sack on Hill. From then on, I thought he contained everyone he faced at LG and LT. Will he replace Jake Long if he goes down this season?

They have been working more on the running game, with Robinson, (both guards for that matter) pulling and he just buries guys when he gets to the 2nd level. His biggest issue will be when pulling, knowing when to look inside, and when to go ahead and get to the 2nd level. He has a tendency of running past a guy because he is so focused on the LB. That's where lining up between Long and Wells should be invaluable.

Last edited:

CoachO

Hall of Fame
@CoachO good to hear GW getting on our young players. Hope to see better execution in the run game in the next few PS games. Do you see the LBs and secondary as being as much of a liability as some (Peter King...maybe myself) for this defense, or is it too early to really worry about? I try not to get too critical this time of year, but seem to see a lot of the same gaps when I see them on TV. I trust your eyes and experience when you see them up close to give us more of a realistic evaluation.

If you watch any of the other games, you will see the same issues in tackling that you saw last Friday. Its a direct by product of the new CBA.

The biggest concern is the lack of depth at LB. As long as they can march Laurinaitis, Dunbar and Ogletree out there week in and week out, then this defense will be VERY good. They are woefully inexperienced at LB, and it wouldn't surprise me to see them add some experience once the final cuts are made.

The secondary is not gonna be as much of an issue as many think it will. Again, barring any major or widespread injuries, the top 4 CBs are gonna be fine, as will the top 3 Safeties. With the front seven playing up to its potential, teams just aren't gonna have the time to exploit the young secondary.

Athos

Legend
GW is a hardass. Love that.

Is Robinson still working mainly at Guard or has he gotten any more work at LT? If so, improvement?

How's Jake Long looking?

Any other WRs flash today?

CoachO

Hall of Fame
GW is a hardass. Love that.

Is Robinson still working mainly at Guard or has he gotten any more work at LT? If so, improvement?

How's Jake Long looking?

Any other WRs flash today?

Robinson is working exclusively at LG, with Long being back, and taking all the LT reps. For the moment, the ONLY starter not practicing Saffold, with Joseph taking all the RG reps.

Emory Blake has a couple nice catches, and seems to be separating himself from the next group of WRs.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
No comment as to who he may have been looking at.LOL

I figured the Westbrooks note would get some attention... but before everyone starts hyperventilating over it.... It doesnt appear to be more than a rotation thing, and has more to do with Hayes not practicing. Sam has taken more practice reps than any other D-lineman since camp has started. Since Hayes has missed so much of camp, Sam has doubled up since day one. He definitely looks like he has "camp legs".

Westbrooks, on the other hand, has now finished his 6th full practice, and should be well rested. So, it makes sense to get him caught up with the extra reps.
Funny OG ?, but Westbrooks, kind of a small school freak athlete coming on...very interesting. Westbrooks looked good in the preseason game, can chase a play down...seems relentless. Let's see what develops.