Camp Report - 8/12/13

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Camp Report 8/12/13
Players not participating: Lance Kendricks; Jemelle Cudjo; Matt Giordano; Rodger Saffold ; Sammy Brown (in walking boot), Sean Hooey and Eugene Sims

Jabara Williams was dressed and participated in units drills, but no TEAM DRILLS
Zac Stacy dressed and participated in position drills, limited team stuff
Andrew Helmick returned to full participation
Terrance Ganaway dressed, but did not participate in any drills,, conditioning with trainer on back field
Quinton Pointer left practice early

TEAM Drills were conducted on far field, so limited view.

Missouri Governor Jay Nixon and his entourage present on field prior to practice: Had a nice visit with Fisher before the rains chased them inside.

New Offensive Lineman: #69 TJ Young OT 25 yrs old, from Michigan St.

Offensive Line:

Interesting development in the Offensive Line Units:

1st Unit: Long C. Williams Wells Dahl Barksdale
2nd Unit: Nsekhe S. Smith Barnes Washington C. Williams

• At one point, while continuing the practice of limiting reps to J. Long and Wells, the OLine consisted of:
o LT: C. Williams LG: S. Smith C: Barnes RG: Dahl RT: Barksdale

o Just another example of how versatile they can be if needed
LG rotation holds true for another day

Today: 2nd unit QB was Kellen Clemens ; Austin Davis back to 3rd unit

Theme of the day
: Spirited Practice, involved more contact, and lots of “TACKLING” in unit drills

• DBs worked extensively on tackling drills, wrapping up, and hitting tackling pads.

• LBs one on one “form tackle” drills.

Janoris Jenkins vs. Chris Givens…. Givens won his share today in One on One drills,

Will Witherspoon nice INTERCEPTION in 11 on 11

Matt Daniels had the HIT OF THE DAY… (and maybe of training camp) on Chase Reynolds in 11 on 11…. Lined him up and hit him hard enough to turn him sideways, pads popping could be heard all the way on the hill.

• Very next play…. Daniels came on a blitz and Reynolds got his evens, and delivered a shot in return.

Justin Veltung AND Andrew Helmick rotating in SLOT with 2nd unit offense

SPECIAL TEAMS : KICKOFF RETURN
o Pead, Austin, Cunningham, Radway, Veltung, and Helmick all took reps as return man.
o Spent more time today than any other practice on blocking scheme and returns

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I thought Chris Williams play was a little better than Shelley Smith, but we may need Chris Williams to play tackle, until Rodger Saffold gets better.

Predicted that after the game. I mean, they had to.

Added: I got to say that I like the combos on the OL, they are working with what they have. I guarantee you that CW is also the 2nd team LT, but they couldn't line him up at RT and LT at the same time. Bark will be the RT until Saffold comes back. If we have anything ahppen to Long, or Bark, CW will swing to that spot, and Shelley Smith with step in at LG.

Matt Daniels has some makeup work to do, so he has to make an impression, sounds like he did just that on Reynold's chest.

CoachO, did you also notice them doing extra conditioning today?

CoachO

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
DR RAM said:
I thought Chris Williams play was a little better than Shelley Smith, but we may need Chris Williams to play tackle, until Rodger Saffold gets better.

I got to say that I like the combos on the OL, they are working with what they have.

Matt Daniels has some makeup work to do, so he has to make an impression, sounds like he did just that on Reynold's chest.

Not much in the form of traditional conditioning. But they did ratchet up the contact. Lots of tackling fundamentals. they were in pads and shorts, but there were plenty of pads popping in the unit drills.

And Daniels is still working with the 3rd unit, although he did step in at safety when they went to their DIME package with the "2's". McLeod dropped down to one of the inside CBs with Cody Davis and Daniels as the two depp safeties.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
CoachO said:
DR RAM said:

I got to say that I like the combos on the OL, they are working with what they have.

Not much in the form of traditional conditioning. But they did ratchet up the contact. Lots of tackling fundamentals. they were in pads and shorts, but there were plenty of pads popping in the unit drills.
Thanks CoachO, for your excellent reports, time, and dedication.

21136021_BG1.jpg

FRO

Legend
How do you have winning the LG spot? Do you think Williams versatility makes him better suited on the bench?

CoachO

Hall of Fame
FRO said:
How do you have winning the LG spot? Do you think Williams versatility makes him better suited on the bench?

Actually, I don't think it factors in to it at all, with regards to the starting LG job. Boudreau has a history of putting the best five guys on the field, and IMO, all he is doing short term, is getting guys reps in the event Saffold doesn't come back as soon as they anticipate.

Joe Barksdale is and will be the RT in the meantime.

As far as LG, I think Williams has a slight "lead" in that competition. When you talk about versatility, S. Smith is getting reps at BOTH LG (as he rotates with Williams) and at RG. Its becoming fairly evident that Washington just isn't ready yet, and IMO, S. Smith makes more sense as the swing Guard.

Williams getting reps at Tackle is more as the FOURTH Tackle, as opposed to Smith being the primary backup at RG.

FRO

Legend
CoachO said:
FRO said:

Actually, I don't think it factors in to it at all, with regards to the starting LG job. Boudreau has a history of putting the best five guys on the field, and IMO, all he is doing short term, is getting guys reps in the event Saffold doesn't come back as soon as they anticipate.

As far as LG, I think Williams has a slight "lead" in that competition. When you talk about versatility, S. Smith is getting reps at BOTH LG (as he rotates with Williams) and at RG. Its becoming fairly evident that Washington just isn't ready yet, and IMO, S. Smith makes more sense as the swing Guard.

Williams getting reps at Tackle is more as the FOURTH Tackle, as opposed to Smith being the primary backup at RG.
Good points. I really liked how Williams played Thursday. To me Smith is a tad small to be the full time LG.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
CoachO said:
FRO said:

I agree with one minor exception, clarification. I think Williams will be the third tackle with Saffold out.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
DR RAM said:
CoachO said:
FRO said:

I agree with one minor exception, clarification. I think Williams will be the third tackle with Saffold out.

I agree,,, I was counting Saffold in the mix with Barksdale as the obvious 3rd. I stand corrected. LOL

At the end of the day, assuming they are all healthy, its LONG & Saffold, Barksdale then Williams. The odd man out, hopefully is Nsekhe. He has some physical tools, just SLOW FEET.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
CoachO said:
DR RAM said:
CoachO said:
FRO said:

I agree,,, I was counting Saffold in the mix with Barksdale as the obvious 3rd. I stand corrected. LOL

At the end of the day, assuming they are all healthy, its LONG & Saffold, Barksdale then Williams. The odd man out, hopefully is Nsekhe. He has some physical tools, just SLOW FEET.
I thought that is what you meant, or hoped, lol.

Maybe we can fit Ty with some of these:
4456392960_0d637dbd80.jpg

paceram

Pro Bowler
m
CoachO said:
Camp Report 8/12/13
Players not participating: Lance Kendricks; Jemelle Cudjo; Matt Giordano; Rodger Saffold ; Sammy Brown (in walking boot), Sean Hooey and Eugene Sims

Jabara Williams was dressed and participated in units drills, but no TEAM DRILLS
Zac Stacy dressed and participated in position drills, limited team stuff
Andrew Helmick returned to full participation
Terrance Ganaway dressed, but did not participate in any drills,, conditioning with trainer on back field
Quinton Pointer left practice early

TEAM Drills were conducted on far field, so limited view.

Missouri Governor Jay Nixon and his entourage present on field prior to practice: Had a nice visit with Fisher before the rains chased them inside.

New Offensive Lineman: #69 TJ Young OT 25 yrs old, from Michigan St.

Offensive Line:

Interesting development in the Offensive Line Units:

1st Unit: Long C. Williams Wells Dahl Barksdale
2nd Unit: Nsekhe S. Smith Barnes Washington C. Williams

• At one point, while continuing the practice of limiting reps to J. Long and Wells, the OLine consisted of:
o LT: C. Williams LG: S. Smith C: Barnes RG: Dahl RT: Barksdale

o Just another example of how versatile they can be if needed
LG rotation holds true for another day

Today: 2nd unit QB was Kellen Clemens ; Austin Davis back to 3rd unit

Theme of the day
: Spirited Practice, involved more contact, and lots of “TACKLING” in unit drills

• DBs worked extensively on tackling drills, wrapping up, and hitting tackling pads.

• LBs one on one “form tackle” drills.

Janoris Jenkins vs. Chris Givens…. Givens won his share today in One on One drills,

Will Witherspoon nice INTERCEPTION in 11 on 11

Matt Daniels had the HIT OF THE DAY… (and maybe of training camp) on Chase Reynolds in 11 on 11…. Lined him up and hit him hard enough to turn him sideways, pads popping could be heard all the way on the hill.

• Very next play…. Daniels came on a blitz and Reynolds got his evens, and delivered a shot in return.

Justin Veltung AND Andrew Helmick rotating in SLOT with 2nd unit offense

SPECIAL TEAMS : KICKOFF RETURN
o Pead, Austin, Cunningham, Radway, Veltung, and Helmick all took reps as return man.
o Spent more time today than any other practice on blocking scheme and returns

CoachO - Great Report and it is greatly appreciated! I am curious if you have any news, information and/or thoughts on Barrett Jones. I was very excited when the Rams drafted him and thought (and, still do) he would be a very valuable player on the Rams OL for many years.

RamsFanCK

HAIL ME
Hey CoachO, I like Barnes, seems to have good technique and a great mind...any indication he could break the starting lineup at some point? Is he just behind because of his injury or is he just back up quality at this point?

CoachO

Hall of Fame
paceram said:
CoachO - Great Report and it is greatly appreciated! I am curious if you have any news, information and/or thoughts on Barrett Jones. I was very excited when the Rams drafted him and thought (and, still do) he would be a very valuable player on the Rams OL for many years.

Barrett Jones to me, seems like one of those players who "shows up" when the light come on. Meaning, he is NOT all that impressive physically, doesn't practice as well as he plays in games.

He is less than impressive in drills, looks soft, and seems to be in serious "catch up" mode from his injury. But in both the scrimmage, and even more so in the Preseason game vs. Cleveland, he played very well. Smarts and technique go a long way at the Center position.

Also, with Saffold's injury, they are giving Jones reps at RT, "just in case". There are other threads here discussing the Oline and what appears to be "plan B" in the event Saffold doesn't come back as soon as they anticipate.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Dr.RamsFanCK said:
Hey CoachO, I like Barnes, seems to have good technique and a great mind...any indication he could break the starting lineup at some point? Is he just behind because of his injury or is he just back up quality at this point?

Tim Barnes, IMO, is the most improved player on the Offensive Line thus far in camp. He is physically bigger and stronger. He just "looks" like an NFL Lineman now. That wasn't the case a year ago. He was not big enough, or strong enough to hold his ground.

Does that translate into him "breaking into to starting lineup"? Don't see that happening without any injuries. He is getting backup reps at LG, when they have kicked S. SMith to RG, and C. Williams to Tackle in light of the Saffold injury.

Which only makes my point again, that this OLine's biggest strength is the versatility of the "top 9", which IMO, includes Tim Barnes. He has shown very well for himself at Center, and is getting worked in with the 1st unit as they try to limit reps for Scott Wells. They seem to very high on Barnes at this point.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
CoachO showing his prescience:
Barrett Jones, IMO, is the most improved player on the Offensive Line thus far in camp. He is physically bigger and stronger. He just "looks" like an NFL Lineman now. That wasn't the case a year ago.
Save this so you won't have to type it next year. :bg:

CoachO

Hall of Fame
albefree69 said:
CoachO showing his prescience:
Barrett Jones, IMO, is the most improved player on the Offensive Line thus far in camp. He is physically bigger and stronger. He just "looks" like an NFL Lineman now. That wasn't the case a year ago.
Save this so you won't have to type it next year. :bg:

That very well may be the case. But for NOW, I will stand by my original statement about it applying to Barnes...

iBruce

Pro Bowler
Name
Cory
Great stuff about the OL CoachO. And thanks to X for tweeting this thread to make me focus on it amid the other great camp reports we have on this site.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Another great report CoachO.

Does Andrew Helmick look 100% to you? Hamstrings can be tricky.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
CGI_Ram said:
Another great report CoachO.

Does Andrew Helmick look 100% to you? Hamstrings can be tricky.

Hard to say. There wasn't really a time when he needed to push it and really TEST the hamstring. While I say he was taking part in the kickoff return portion of practice, it wasn't at full speed, for him or any of the return guys.

HE seemed to be running just fine while in the teams drills, be it SEVEN on SEVEN or the ELEVEN on ELEVEN drills.