Camp Report 7/29/14

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hey coach how has Daven Joseph looked in practice?

Joseph is as advertised, he plays with a mean streak. He seems to be holding up well enough from his knee issues. He has participated in EVERY 1st unit rep since camp opened at RG and hasn't missed any of the unit drills either. It appears we may have hit on this off season acquisition. Not saying he is likely to start over Saffold (assuming Long is back), but he will provide some legitimate depth at G.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
How did Sean Hooey stand out to you?

He's always intrigued me as a prospect.

At 6'9 he can't help but stand out. Now his play at OT has been hit and miss. Michale Sam and had his way more often than not coming off the edge. But like a few of the other guys in camp, if he does get his hands on you he can be effective.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I cant speak for others but for me it's the PED issue. He let the team down he is suppose to be leading these young guys he is not suppose to be making a mistake like that. That's something you let the young guys get away with not veterans. Lead bye example he is not doing that. His BEST football is behind him so I see a younger guy (Ray Ray) with bigger upside and brings the same attitude to the game and would rather have him on the field.

So you let off the field issues taint your on field choices? Got it!

In all seriousness, whether Dunbar is a PR nightmare or not, and whether or not he is here NEXT year, he is still the best option for this team THIS year. Armstrong's "attitude" notwithstanding, his ability to play OLB is not what it needs to be to help this team win. Younger isn't always better.

And as far as leading by example, that's the very thing Dunbar excels at ON THE FIELD. And after listening to an interview with Daren Bates after practice yesterday, he said exactly that. He leans on Dunbar and Laurinaitis all the time in his attempt to get better.

Last edited:

BD-TomCat

Rookie
So you let off the field issues taint your on field choices? Got it!

In all seriousness, whether Dunbar is a PR nightmare or not, and whether or not he is here NEXT year, he is still the best option for this team THIS year. Armstrong's "attitude" notwithstanding, his ability to play OLB is not what it needs to be to help this team win. Younger isn't always better.

And as far as leading by example, that's the very thing Dunbar excels at ON THE FIELD. And after listening to an interview with Daren Bates after practice yesterday, he said exactly that. He leans on Dunbar and Laurinaitis all the time in his attempt to get better.

he is only a benifit on the field in running situations. He couldnt even cover Fb's if the team is passing Dunbar is just as much a liability as Ray Ray would be in running situations

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I have always preferred Bates over Armstrong. Bates is a better linebacker IMO. He seems more instinctual.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
he is only a benifit on the field in running situations. He couldnt even cover Fb's if the team is passing Dunbar is just as much a liability as Ray Ray would be in running situations
In a different scheme playing a different position.

With Ogletree taking on the SLB duties he will have primary coverage responsibility a Dunbar will be freed up as the guy blitzing in passing situations.

And as the 3rd LB he isn't on the field in many passing situations. He allowed a whopping 18 completions in 12 games. (1.5 per game) Hardly devastating to this defense.

But let's compare that to how the rushing defense improved when he came back.

BD-TomCat

Rookie
His whooping 39 tackles was a big benifit though he had 4 stuffs all year. it wasnt because of his return that the run d got better. It was Brockers and langford You are over exaggerating his presence on the field in my opinion.

Ogletree and Ray Ray basically have the same build and play style. Ogletree is not a liability in run support. He is not the most physical at the point of attack either but his quickness got him 11stuffs last year I believe Ray Ray could do the same with his athleticism

Last edited:

Rambition

Rookie
coachO, what can you tell us about mason brodine to this point? how has he looked at tight end? do you think he has a chance? and i think i saw somewhere a few days ago that they were also giving him reps on the DL...again.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
coachO, what can you tell us about mason brodine to this point? how has he looked at tight end? do you think he has a chance? and i think i saw somewhere a few days ago that they were also giving him reps on the DL...again.

I haven't seen Brodine taking any defensive reps, but I may have missed it if he has. As a TE, he has shown to be quite athletic. Has decent hands, and looks the part.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
His whooping 39 tackles was a big benifit though he had 4 stuffs all year. it wasnt because of his return that the run d got better. It was Brockers and langford You are over exaggerating his presence on the field in my opinion.

Ogletree and Ray Ray basically have the same build and play style. Ogletree is not a liability in run support. He is not the most physical at the point of attack either but his quickness got him 11stuffs last year I believe Ray Ray could do the same with his athleticism

They may have similar builds, but Ogletree is "listed" at 245, with Armstrong checking in at a generous 234. And to the naked eye, he looks bigger than the 11 lb. difference. He also shows much more instinct in playing the position.

As to Dunbar, while I may be exaggerating his presence, you are strictly using stats to downgrade his impact. And you are trying to say, the rushing defense improved WHEN he came back was because Brockers and Langford suddenly woke up and started playing better? Look, I realize Dunbar is not the long term solution here. But for THIS YEAR, he's by far, the best option. Armstrong just isn't ready to be an impact player at WLB yet.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Anymore thoughts on Ogletree's play so far?

Ogletree has had an impressive start to training camp. Now playing the SLB, he is demonstrating the athleticism to run with any TE they line up across from him. While Cook has had him moments, Ogletree runs with him stride for stride in coverage. He doesn't appear to be as lost in zone coverage as he was last year, and flashes to the ball on the dump offs in front of him. Williams also has utilized him frequently in blitz packages.

FRO

Legend
I've only been to one practice and I noticed Brodine on special teams. The only reason I noticed him was because he was much slower than everybody else. That's to be expected from a former DT though.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Joseph is as advertised, he plays with a mean streak. He seems to be holding up well enough from his knee issues. He has participated in EVERY 1st unit rep since camp opened at RG and hasn't missed any of the unit drills either. It appears we may have hit on this off season acquisition. Not saying he is likely to start over Saffold (assuming Long is back), but he will provide some legitimate depth at G.
It wasn't only a knee issue. He also had a staph infection. Which are physically draining and sometimes deadly.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Coach, what kind of team do you think we have this year? Record wise, what do you think? Can we win 11 games with this squad?

BD-TomCat

Rookie
They may have similar builds, but Ogletree is "listed" at 245, with Armstrong checking in at a generous 234. And to the naked eye, he looks bigger than the 11 lb. difference. He also shows much more instinct in playing the position.

As to Dunbar, while I may be exaggerating his presence, you are strictly using stats to downgrade his impact. And you are trying to say, the rushing defense improved WHEN he came back was because Brockers and Langford suddenly woke up and started playing better? Look, I realize Dunbar is not the long term solution here. But for THIS YEAR, he's by far, the best option. Armstrong just isn't ready to be an impact player at WLB yet.

I'm downgrading his impact due to the eye test. He wasnt as good as he was the year before. I just used the stats to back up that statement. I believe you have visions of the year before Dunbar stuck in your head. I agree that Dunbar is the best bet for the team this year but it aint bye much from my point of view. what I'm hoping for is a phase out of Dunbar bye mid season. Hopefully Ray Ray progresses and will be ready bye then. If he's not it's not a bad thing that i'm rooting for the kid

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave

For what little it's worth, Armstrong went on JT's Chat show Tuesday, as 'Boom King', And asked JT specifically, " Do you think I'm ready to be a 'impact player' this year". Thomas told him " No, But I like your nick-name!" ( I agree )