Camp Report - 7/29/13

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Camp Report 7/29/13
Players not participating: Lance Kendricks; Matt Daniels; Jemelle Cudjo; Braden Brown; Sammy Brown

Barrett Jones makes his Rams training camp debut

Matt Daniels did conditioning work with Reggie on side field.

**** Andrew Helmick left the field during the 11 on 11 drills halfway through practice with what appears to be a hamstring strain. He walked off on his own, but was reaching for his hamstring as he was accompanied by Reggie. He did not return ****

Offensive Line:
1st Unit: Long S. Smith Wells Dahl Saffold
2nd Unit: Barksdale C. Williams Barnes Washington Nsekhe

LG rotation holds true for another day

Players rotating on a daily basis.

Today: 2nd unit QB was Austin Davis; Kellen Clemens taking 3rd unit reps

Want to preface today’s report by stating that the majority of the practice was on the FAR field, so my viewpoint was less than optimal. Just no way to get close to the action.

RB vs LBs Pass Blocking drill

This obviously is an area to pay close attention to. Drill was set up with RB stepping up in a blocking lane with a blitzing LB. “QB” either stepped up or moved as needed to give the RB a lane to take his man.

• Stacy was the best blocker in this drill
• Ganaway and Cunningham held their own
• Pead struggled against Laurinaitis
• Richardson was “run over” by Witherspoon

Special Teams work: Punt coverage team 11 on 11

Hekker continues to crush the football when kicking
Punt returners were Zac Stacy; Chase Reynolds and Tavon Austin

11 on 11

• Bradford to Austin again, beats Finnegan on the same play that they ran on Thursday. Cook lined up in slot alongside Austin, he breaks to the post, and safety is forced to go with him,, leaving Austin in one no one coverage, blew past Finnegan and Bradford nailed him over the top

• Pead got the majority of the reps, especially in the 2 minute drill and had his best practice to date. Ran decisively, and got outside on a couple of toss sweeps

• Austin Davis continues to struggle with accuracy. Over throwing open receivers on sideline routes, and in the 2 minute drill had 2 passes in a row dropped by defenders Witherspoon the Pointer. Not a good sign at all.

• Ganaway & Cunningham both had nice runs in the redzone. Ganaway bouncing off tackle and wins race to corner of the endzone from about the 15 yard line. Cunningham hit it up inside for a nice gain before being TACKLED.

Player observations:
• Ray Ray Armstrong was taking 2nd unit reps in place of Jabara Williams
• Barrett Jones was plugged in at Center with the “3’s”.
• TJ McDonald came up and drilled receiver along the sideline after making catch. Clean hit, but he dropped him in his tracks

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
CoachO, or Jimi, have you seen any good work from any of the other receivers, Blake, Radway, Fields, or Johnson?

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
Thanks O.

I'm getting the impression that TJ is showing well early on. If he plays well this year, that would surprise a lot of experts.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
DR RAM said:
CoachO, or Jimi, have you seen any good work from any of the other receivers, Blake, Radway, Fields, or Johnson?

I will say this, the guy I was really looking forward to seeing was Radway. He definitely has the tools, the speed and the size. What he seems to lack is heart. If the ball isn't coming his way, he quits on routes... and his hands are nothing special.

I can see why a 6'4 WR who runs a 4.3 has never made it anywhere to this point. I never thought I would say this about someone trying to earn a job. But he seems to be going thru the motions on most days.

Blake and Fields really haven't done much to stand out. Johnson has had his moments, and now with Helmick going down with what appears to be a hamstring, may be in the lead for the 6th WR spot (assuming they keep 6).

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I'm disappointed with Austin Davis. I had hoped he could clearly lock down the #2 spot this year.
Still time to shine in the preseason...

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Why does Sam have a knee brace on...(lookin on the pics on Rams website)?

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Angry Ram said:

If I remember right, he just watched Washington's Playoff game.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Angry Ram said:
Pretty sure that's a training method, but I'm not 100%.

Sent via Tapatalk2.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Angry Ram said:

All three QB's had knee braces right? I think it was just a precautionary thing with pads on.

bluecoconuts

Legend
CoachO said:
DR RAM said:

I will say this, the guy I was really looking forward to seeing was Radway. He definitely has the tools, the speed and the size. What he seems to lack is heart. If the ball isn't coming his way, he quits on routes... and his hands are nothing special.

I can see why a 6'4 WR who runs a 4.3 has never made it anywhere to this point. I never thought I would say this about someone trying to earn a job. But he seems to be going thru the motions on most days.

Blake and Fields really haven't done much to stand out. Johnson has had his moments, and now with Helmick going down with what appears to be a hamstring, may be in the lead for the 6th WR spot (assuming they keep 6).

Radway started his 'career' in Dallas right? Probably where he learned that type of play. Shame.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
mr.stlouis said:
Angry Ram said:

If I remember right, he just watched Washington's Playoff game. Pretty sure that's a training method, but I'm not 100%.
See what I did there lol

Sent via Tapatalk2.

sostl

Starter
bluecoconuts said:
Angry Ram said:

All three QB's had knee braces right? I think it was just a precautionary thing with pads on.

yea all 3 had on knee braces

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
sostl said:
bluecoconuts said:
Angry Ram said:

yea all 3 had on knee braces
Safety precaution...smart.

TexRamFan

Rookie
Angry Ram said:

I remember seeing this last year at the scrimmmage in the dome. If I remember right all QB's wore a knee brace on their left leg. I believe since they are all right handed the left leg is the braced leg after the ball is thrown and in the most danger of injury with a low blow. Most of the bodyweight is on the left side after release.

If you think back to ACL or bad knee injuries to many QB's (not RG3 because of the knee already being injured) the braced leg is often the one injured.

As mentioned it is probably just a precaution in the preseason/practice.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Angry Ram said:

They ALL have them on their left knees,, did it last year as well,, now that they have pads on, its part of the "preventative" measures they take with ALL of the QBs