Camp Report 7/27/14

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Alan

Legend
I've been sounding alarm bells about JJ (and TJ) for the last two years. We really need me to be full of it because we have no good alternative. Or even an adequate alternative. McGee will be improved this year but how much?

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Yeah everyone wanted to knock Snead !!
I think the Givens pick was a steal.I will always remember M.Quicks first TD.It was against the Niners.---That was the game Jenkins & Givens ran bleachers at the Stick before the game.

Heard a interview with Givens in the offseason.He talked about how he was all better from his problems off the field.He sounded totally wasted though.I had(have) a bad vibe from his off field character.I think it might be carding over ? Hope not,but he dropped a lot of passes last year that cost the Rams a game or 2. He dropped off so much from his rookie year.Thought it might have been just a Sophomore jinks.Have doubts about him.He is not a special teams player really either.

I kinda agree, So Ram.

Like it says in the song, from Givens I'd like "a little less talk and a lot more action".

Based on the many camp reports I've read, our WR corps train is leaving the mediocrity station. Givens better step up quickly or he risks getting buried on the depth chart. Or worse...

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
I've been sounding alarm bells about JJ (and TJ) for the last two years. We really need me to be full of it because we have no good alternative. Or even an adequate alternative. McGee will be improved this year but how much?
How's the next draft class at corner? Not a draftnik so maybe someone can clue me in to the best ones.

RamzFanz

Damnit

I'm trusting GW will play to their strengths. I want to see a lot of sticking receivers and jumping routes! If they can slow the receivers down, the pass rush will keep opposing QBs in panic mode and they could be turn over machines!

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I want both Quick and Britt to succeed. However, if Britt does nothing else besides bring out the Big Physical WR that we all have been wanting since Fisher "reached" for Div 2, Brain Quick....Man, that would be excellent..and makes the RG3 trade even more valuable.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
How's the next draft class at corner? Not a draftnik so maybe someone can clue me in to the best ones.
Couple of good ones to look at on Florida St. Bunch in the Pas-12 (USC, dude at Oregon, Stanford) but wait till the season, it's always a kid somewhere that has been working on his game and has gotten WAY better. So, it's always a bunch of good corners, and very few elite....

But I think we have some talent here. Tru, Jenkins, Joyner, & Gaines. And I still think Roberson, Reid & McGee will prove themselves useful. Just the wr's are getting better....And, shhh, don't tell nobody...so is SAM BRADFORD

TGZ

Rookie
Name
Dylan
I'd be lying if I said I wasn't slightly concerned about our starting corners.

It's far too early, but if I'm looking at the draft next year, the first name I look at is Brett Hundley from UCLA if Sam Bradford has not delivered. If Sam has, then I turn my attention to the CBs and I like the kid from Oregon (don't ask me to spell his name, I can't).

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay

Off the top of my head:
P.J. Williams, FSU
Ronald Darby, FSU
Josh Shaw USC
LSU kid, forget his name.
Trae Waynes Michigan State
Ifo Ekpre-Olomu, Oregon
Stanford kid, forget his name, Carter?

Are some of the ones I'd watch out for in no particular order. I'm pretty sure all those guys are either seniors or eligible.

I hope we don't need to draft more corners though. Really hope these guys work out.

If we need a FS, I like Karl Joseph out of WVU as one of my top guys right now. Landon Collins out of 'Bama is the real stud at safety, but he's more of a SS.

Alan

Legend
rhinobean asking for some prognostication:
Try as I might, I could only come up with this:
upload_2014-7-28_15-12-5.jpeg

:ROFLMAO: Seriously though. I have no idea. I'm pinning all my hopes on being full of shit. I'd trust in the players DYVKX and TGZ mentioned. :)

RamzFanz hoping for a miracle:
I'm trusting GW will play to their strengths. I want to see a lot of sticking receivers and jumping routes! If they can slow the receivers down, the pass rush will keep opposing QBs in panic mode and they could be turn over machines!
The problem with that theory (which I believe in too) is I'm pretty sure they're playing man-to-man coverage in practice and he's (plus all the rest of them) still looking bad according to all the camp reports. Obviously, being able to finish off our pass rush will help all of them but I would certainly like much more than that from them.

cvramsfan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Offensive Line:

1st Unit: Long Saffold Barnes Joseph Barksdale (this was how they lined up during the unit drills)

2nd Unit: Person Rhaney Jones Bond Hooey

3rd Unit: Van Dyk Rhaney Jones Morrell Dill

· I need to point out, the Depth Chart above indicates how they lined up during the UNIT DRILLS and Walk thrus.

Am I missing something? It seems someone is missing from unit drills, where is Robinson? Also noticed today that Pead is not on punt coverage (not sure if he was last year) and will have to go back and chk if he is on the other special teams. But if he is being scaled back on those teams, maybe they are getting ready to use him more on O? That is a good thing I would think. Thanks for the reports Coach, love love them.

stlramscar

UDFA
Im glad the rams have two physically imposing WR in Quick and Britt. Cause they are exposing Jenkins,i saw it last year against teams like Chicago and SF with big physical receivers theyhad there way with him(Anquan Boldin just manhandled him, twice).

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Great report and follow up answers to questions. Thanks as always Coach.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Offensive Line:

1st Unit: Long Saffold Barnes Joseph Barksdale (this was how they lined up during the unit drills)

2nd Unit: Person Rhaney Jones Bond Hooey

3rd Unit: Van Dyk Rhaney Jones Morrell Dill

· I need to point out, the Depth Chart above indicates how they lined up during the UNIT DRILLS and Walk thrus.

Am I missing something? It seems someone is missing from unit drills, where is Robinson? Also noticed today that Pead is not on punt coverage (not sure if he was last year) and will have to go back and chk if he is on the other special teams. But if he is being scaled back on those teams, maybe they are getting ready to use him more on O? That is a good thing I would think. Thanks for the reports Coach, love love them.

Sorry it took me so long to reply,, just got back from a day trip to KC.

Last part first. Pead wasnt on this part of the Punt Coverage unit, because as I noted, they were not using Gunners in this drill. Pead was in fact, fielding punts along with Austin and Veltung.

I fully expect that Pead will be one of the gunners on the outside with the 1st unit.

As far as the "walk thru" drills, they rotated Robinson in at LG. My over sight in not mentioning that.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I want to make one comment regarding the CBs and the perception that they are struggling. You have to keep in mind, they are getting reps in various drills (1 on 1, 7 on 7, and 11 on 11) All geared to the offense being successful.

Even in the 11 on 11 drills, there are all to often instances where the CBs end up looking beaten on a particular play, because the pass ends up being completed. But bear in mind, they are NOT hitting the QB. So, they have the chance to complete a play that otherwise would have ended in a sack, long before the pass ever gets thrown.

I think all too often, these drills are so heavily tilted to the offense being able to get the play run, that the results can be misleading. With THIS Defensive front, and the constant pressure they are supplying, the CBs, will NOT have to cover guys nearly as long as they are in these drills. Also, they are in helmets and shells, and there is NO contact. There have been a few highlight type receptions by receivers, where if it were "live" action, someone was in perfect position to lay someone out.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I want to make one comment regarding the CBs and the perception that they are struggling. You have to keep in mind, they are getting reps in various drills (1 on 1, 7 on 7, and 11 on 11) All geared to the offense being successful.

Even in the 11 on 11 drills, there are all to often instances where the CBs end up looking beaten on a particular play, because the pass ends up being completed. But bear in mind, they are NOT hitting the QB. So, they have the chance to complete a play that otherwise would have ended in a sack, long before the pass ever gets thrown.

I think all too often, these drills are so heavily tilted to the offense being able to get the play run, that the results can be misleading. With THIS Defensive front, and the constant pressure they are supplying, the CBs, will NOT have to cover guys nearly as long as they are in these drills. Also, they are in helmets and shells, and there is NO contact. There have been a few highlight type receptions by receivers, where if it were "live" action, someone was in perfect position to lay someone out.
Thanks Coach. That was actually something I was thinking about. Having to cover for an extra second or on plays that wouldn't even happen is going to make any DBs look bad. I also don't understand the lack of support for Jenks. He had a stellar rookie season and was in the discussion for defensive ROY. I have to think that many of his problems last year were due to coaching and not playing him to his strengths. I will still be interested in hearing about him in practices but I will reserve most of my thoughts until pre-season games start.

Again, thanks for not only taking the time to write about what you see at the practices but sticking around to answer questions and expound on your observations. Your reports are always one of my favorite things to read this time of year.

Cheers man.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
Am I the only one wondering why Greg Robinson didn't participate in the unit drills at all? Did I miss something?

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Am I the only one wondering why Greg Robinson didn't participate in the unit drills at all? Did I miss something?

I didn't say he didn't participate. I admitted it was on over sight on my part, by excluding him. And when I reference that part of practice, I am referring to the WALK THRU stuff they are doing with each unit lined up, one behind the other.