Camp Report 7/26/14

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I wonder how much of the (so and so player) runs with the 2s or the 3s is a mental ploy by the coaches. Do some players need to know that it isn't handed to them? Is it s factor of them getting confidence by beating up on lesser comp before they go against the 1s? Or is it really a case of putting the best guys with the 1s and letting the chips fall where they may?

It seems Fisher does this every year. HE tends to give the vets the bulk of the 1st unit reps, for the 1st week to 10 days, unless the ROOKIE is the obvious starter. McDonald, Ogletree Austin, and this year, Robinson for example.

Otherwise, they have to "earn" their way up the depth chart.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I got into a "discussion" with one of those "fans" at the practice yesterday who actually said those words. The "bum" has no business being on the field. And then he proceeded to rip into Quick and Jenkins and Cook. I'm guessing he is a frequent PD follower. He sounded just like em.

Or not a fan at all...I enjoy the "So Called" fans when the root for the 49ers much better. On top of that it's fans like this that make comments that never played the game as well. Nothing against fans who have not, but no reason to refer to anyone as a "Bum" it just showcases your ignorance.

In the words of former Head Coach O.A. "Bum" Phillips... "I don't mind being called Bum as long you don't say You Are in front of it."

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Odd that a guy like McDonald comes in as an obvious starter but Donald starts out with the 3s. Then again, we are a tad deeper along the DL than we were at S last year.

Speaking of McDonald - what a great pick he has turned out to be so far (knock knock) - I'll admit that I had soured on him based on his last season at USC - and I thought he was a reach when chosen, but I should have known that Fisher would know how to pick a USC safety.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Steward seems to be one of Williams' favorites. He can be heard often praising the kid for his read and react skills in 7 on 7 drills.

Maybe Steward is like what you posted about Gaines, he (Steward) just gets it. Gregg Williams is a former LB coach so I am sure he might just pay a tad more attention to that unit. Good reads sir, I enjoy them as do all of us!

Odd that a guy like McDonald comes in as an obvious starter but Donald starts out with the 3s. Then again, we are a tad deeper along the DL than we were at S last year.

Speaking of McDonald - what a great pick he has turned out to be so far (knock knock) - I'll admit that I had soured on him based on his last season at USC - and I thought he was a reach when chosen, but I should have known that Fisher would know how to pick a USC safety.

Both picks of the third round have the potential to be HRs, if Bailey can get his head on straight. In fact the entire draft could become an all time great.

Billy Baroo

How about a Fresca?
First, sadly,Hammer has no plans to write any more reports. He says he has officially passed on the baton.

As to the comments about the secondary. Keep in mind these drills are designed to run the play all the way thru. In more instances than not, with this pass rush being what it is surely to be, the secondary will not have to maintain coverage for a full 3-5 seconds as is the case in these drills.
Looks like hammer changed his mind...

http://interact.stltoday.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1042634

Last edited by a moderator:

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Looks like hammer changed his mind...

With all due respect, did you happen to check with Hammer about RE-POSTING his report here? I specifically asked him about it, and he said he would prefer it NOT be reposted.

He reserves that right, I would imagine.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
With all due respect, did you happen to check with Hammer about RE-POSTING his report here? I specifically asked him about it, and he said he would prefer it NOT be reposted.

I edited the post in question, so it's *not* here. Which is fine, because with all due respect to your friendship with him, he's a bit of a tool. In the future, if he doesn't want his reports reposted anywhere, he should put a disclaimer where he posts it originally.

Dr C. Hill

Rookie
Name
Doc
Thanks for another great report Coach. I noticed that practice starts at 5:30 today. What time do you need to get there? My 7 year old is champing at the bit to get some autographs. I told him last year that he was about the same size as Tavon, so that is his favorite player!

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I edited the post in question, so it's *not* here. Which is fine, because with all due respect to your friendship with him, he's a bit of a tool. In the future, if he doesn't want his reports reposted anywhere, he should put a disclaimer where he posts it originally.

I understand he gets his feathers ruffled at times, and I also know there is no love loss amongst some members of this site. But friendship aside, I don't think its right to have someones stuff arbitrarily submitted without their knowledge.

I have had it done to me on another forum, and it was unbeknownst to me that it was happening. I know speaking from my own perspective, when I post something on this forum, it usually is in some sort of context, while posting the same thing in another forum it may be taken completely out of context.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Thanks for another great report Coach. I noticed that practice starts at 5:30 today. What time do you need to get there? My 7 year old is champing at the bit to get some autographs. I told him last year that he was about the same size as Tavon, so that is his favorite player!

They open the gates 90 minutes prior to the start time, which is different from years past. Crowd size has been down the first two days, but I attribute that to the questionable weather as much as anything. Last year, the first Sunday practice was the most attended practice of the entire camp, so I would suggest getting there plenty early.

I got there yesterday at 2 pm, and there already were well over 100 cars in the lot.

Billy Baroo

How about a Fresca?

Whatever dude.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I understand he gets his feathers ruffled at times, and I also know there is no love loss amongst some members of this site. But friendship aside, I don't think its right to have someones stuff arbitrarily submitted without their knowledge.

I have had it done to me on another forum, and it was unbeknownst to me that it was happening. I know speaking from my own perspective, when I post something on this forum, it usually is in some sort of context, while posting the same thing in another forum it may be taken completely out of context.
It's cool. Like I said, all he has to do is make it known he doesn't want his "intellectual property" distributed without his consent. I'm not going to go into any details as to why he decided to stop posting here, other than to say he's not fond of being disagreed with about his 'analyses.'

jap

Legend

The coaching brass probably doesn't see Aaron as being an immediate upgrade over Kendall Langford at this point. Aaron still has to grow to contend with NFL-caliber guards and centers. Why hand him the starting spot when an established veteran is already there? It's best he work his way up to first string.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I don't think its right to have someones stuff arbitrarily submitted without their knowledge.

Just curious, I don't think I've done it, probably didn't know how then, but since I do now, you'd be upset if this report was re-posted? Or should one just paste the link? Lot's of fans on these sites (blogs & message boards) that may not know you do this, and are not able to ever make it to camp but would love an insiders opinion. Basically a football guy that takes meticulous notes and writes up a report of what he sees.
I figured as long as someone didn't claim it was their own, the writers didn't mind........

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Just curious, I don't think I've done it, probably didn't know how then, but since I do now, you'd be upset if this report was re-posted? Or should one just paste the link? Lot's of fans on these sites (blogs & message boards) that may not know you do this, and are not able to ever make it to camp but would love an insiders opinion. Basically a football guy that takes meticulous notes and writes up a report of what he sees.
I figured as long as someone didn't claim it was their own, the writers didn't mind........

As a general rule, I don't mind. I post similar Reports on 3 different forums, so I have little issue with it being distributed. But I have run into isolated issues before, because something I may post on one forum, isn't necessarily what I would post in a different one. And the comments have been taken out of context.

For example, everyone on this board knows my feelings about Pead and Quick. We can have some spirited discussions but it usually stays amicable. Take some of those same comments and put it on another forum, and things turn ugly quickly, when those comments were never meant for that forum.

And God forbid the topic be about Bradford..... well you can where I am going with this.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
LOL....coach, how do you feel about Bradford? ahahahahhahahahahha-ah-hahahahah

I feel the same about Quick & Pead....and two entirely different players to me...that is, Pead was a little mental (work ethic, reads) and more physical (seemed he just would fall down sometimes). Quick was effected a lot mentally (just was so behind & couldn't get it) but his physical stuff (never played against talent like the NFL) was just as much as a hindrance. Simply put Quick seemed like he should have been physically ready, but he really wasn't & he had metal issues. Pead looked like he should be mentally ready, but he wasn't & had physical issues....I've learned a lot about Professional football in the last few years...Coming from a pop warner & highschool (coaching) background.....by trying to figure out what the hell is wrong with those two....they should be balling, but they're not....why?
Why does stedman bailey look so ready? but he doesn't play for 3/4 of the season? why was lance kendricks dropping the ball? what the hell happened to Jason Richardson? How about that other guy (name slips me, but high round O-Lineman)? Where have all the Orlando Paces gone?

CoachO

Hall of Fame
LOL....coach, how do you feel about Bradford? ahahahahhahahahahha-ah-hahahahah

I feel the same about Quick & Pead....and two entirely different players to me...that is, Pead was a little mental (work ethic, reads) and more physical (seemed he just would fall down sometimes). Quick was effected a lot mentally (just was so behind & couldn't get it) but his physical stuff (never played against talent like the NFL) was just as much as a hindrance. Simply put Quick seemed like he should have been physically ready, but he really wasn't & he had metal issues. Pead looked like he should be mentally ready, but he wasn't & had physical issues....I've learned a lot about Professional football in the last few years...Coming from a pop warner & highschool (coaching) background.....by trying to figure out what the hell is wrong with those two....they should be balling, but they're not....why?
Why does stedman bailey look so ready? but he doesn't play for 3/4 of the season? why was lance kendricks dropping the ball? what the hell happened to Jason Richardson? How about that other guy (name slips me, but high round O-Lineman)? Where have all the Orlando Paces gone?

My take on Pead: He is the most gifted RB on the roster, athletically. Can do it all, speed, shiftiness, pass catching, pass blocking. But he seems as if he is trying to force the issue and make a play, instead of letting the play develop and using his talents to do the rest. When he fell out of favor year one, his confidence was shaken, and his lack of maturity got the best of him. (reports of him sulking in his apartment, admitting the game is no longer fun, to missing or being late to meetings). After getting ALL his reps with the 1st unit in last years training camp, even with the looming suspension, IMO, set him up to think, and rightly so, that he would be given every opportunity to carry a heavy workload into the season.

Then, he falls off the map? Not sure if he pulled some stunt in that 2 weeks he was suspended (the week of and week after) to get placed so firmly in the dog house. But the fact that he managed to come back and prove he "wanted" to be a part of this and get on the field anyway possible (Special Teams) was a sign for me that he might just be maturing.

Fast forward to this year's camp. So far, he is part of what appears to be a true competition, at least in terms of splitting reps. He is a fixture on all of the ST, so maybe, just maybe the light bulb has finally turned on for him.

My take on Quick: Again, might just be the most gifted WR on the roster athletically. Size, speed, strength. All there. He is a hard worker, and it has never been said he is a problem. Meaning, he shows up and goes to work. His biggest issue, IMO, is confidence. It's having the confidence in his own ability to play at this level. And its the coaching staff showing they have the confidence in him to keep putting him out there, even when he makes a mental mistake or drops a pass.

His body language even at training camp if he drops a ball, looks like he is defeated. He seems to be constantly "looking over his shoulder" wondering what Coach Sherman is going to do or say next. This camp so far, that hasn't been nearly as evident. Again, does that mean the light bulb has come on? Only time will tell.

Having Kenny Britt here has already paid dividends as far as Brian Quick's confidence. They are paired together, and taking reps together. And if you want to find Brian Quick on the practice field, find Britt and he is ALWAYS within a few feet. And Britt is the most spirited player I have seen on the practice field in the past 4 years of attending these practices. He is always encouraging the others in the WR group, but he seems to be giving Quick extra attention. Is that by design? have the coaches put a bug in his ear? Who knows,, but it seems to be working.

fearsomefour

Legend
My take on Pead: He is the most gifted RB on the roster, athletically. Can do it all, speed, shiftiness, pass catching, pass blocking. But he seems as if he is trying to force the issue and make a play, instead of letting the play develop and using his talents to do the rest. When he fell out of favor year one, his confidence was shaken, and his lack of maturity got the best of him. (reports of him sulking in his apartment, admitting the game is no longer fun, to missing or being late to meetings). After getting ALL his reps with the 1st unit in last years training camp, even with the looming suspension, IMO, set him up to think, and rightly so, that he would be given every opportunity to carry a heavy workload into the season.

Then, he falls off the map? Not sure if he pulled some stunt in that 2 weeks he was suspended (the week of and week after) to get placed so firmly in the dog house. But the fact that he managed to come back and prove he "wanted" to be a part of this and get on the field anyway possible (Special Teams) was a sign for me that he might just be maturing.

Fast forward to this year's camp. So far, he is part of what appears to be a true competition, at least in terms of splitting reps. He is a fixture on all of the ST, so maybe, just maybe the light bulb has finally turned on for him.

My take on Quick: Again, might just be the most gifted WR on the roster athletically. Size, speed, strength. All there. He is a hard worker, and it has never been said he is a problem. Meaning, he shows up and goes to work. His biggest issue, IMO, is confidence. It's having the confidence in his own ability to play at this level. And its the coaching staff showing they have the confidence in him to keep putting him out there, even when he makes a mental mistake or drops a pass.

His body language even at training camp if he drops a ball, looks like he is defeated. He seems to be constantly "looking over his shoulder" wondering what Coach Sherman is going to do or say next. This camp so far, that hasn't been nearly as evident. Again, does that mean the light bulb has come on? Only time will tell.

Having Kenny Britt here has already paid dividends as far as Brian Quick's confidence. They are paired together, and taking reps together. And if you want to find Brian Quick on the practice field, find Britt and he is ALWAYS within a few feet. And Britt is the most spirited player I have seen on the practice field in the past 4 years of attending these practices. He is always encouraging the others in the WR group, but he seems to be giving Quick extra attention. Is that by design? have the coaches put a bug in his ear? Who knows,, but it seems to be working.
Excellent take on Quick....haven't been to practice but the feeling I got for sure watching him in games.
Too much talent to write off. Fans get impatient but the Rams knew he was a project when drafted.
The Rams could have a similar WR situation as Chicago with Britt/Quick.....but with a third option like Austin. That is just plain scary.
In my humble opinion Quick is a guy who just needs to take the next step. That doesn't mean he needs 1200 yards or he is a bust. That mind set is for fans who let fantasy football form their opinions. The next step could be a 50 catch year and 700 yard. Did he run the routes well, adjust to coverages, show toughness, contribute as a blocker.
It would be a shame to cut a guy loose who could have a 10+ year career because the stats weren't there after a couple. I believe in Quick.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh

all very encouaging