Camp Day One

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jimitroutboy

@jimiramsboy
Name
Jim Fadler
This was all in shells as is expected. It was also about the nicest weather for the first day of camp that I can ever recall. It wasn't over 100 and as near as humid as usual. Ironically Coach Fisher came out in a short sleeve shirt this time instead of a long sleeved shirt.

Quarterbacks-Other than familiarity with Schottenheimer I really fail to see why Clemens keeps coming back. His arm strength doesn't fit the new offense at all and his lack of decisiveness drives me crazy. He has this knack of bailing in drills and scrambling for some reason, he did it last year and of course did it today. In 7 on 7 at one point he took off and ran around....there is no rush for goodness sakes. What in the world.

Since its shells and limited blitzing the offense has an edge in this stuff early. Sam looked tremendous and they aired it out. He just missed on two deep balls to Givens where the ground caused the ball to come out. But he also connected with Bailey, Tavon Austin and a kid named Andrew Helmick from a local small college called Lindenwood. Sam looked great, ball got out early with a lot of velocity and he seemed to be easing into his leadership role. He had Tavon Austin by him gesturing when they were not on the field.

Austin Davis threw one pass in particular that impressed me. It was a deep out to Helmick that had to cross both hashmarks to get there. I liked him last year but wondered about his arm strength.

The Rams have a camp arm named Tim Jenkins who got some reps late, didn't look good but before he could come out and throw there was a guest QB...

Johnny Hekker took reps with the offense in 7 on 7 drills as the QB and did very well.

Running Backs-Richardson took the bulk of the first string reps with Pead and Stacy also getting a few. Richardson looked the best overall of all of them. But its really hard to get a read on things in shells.

Stacy showed some good burst up field, takes one cut and plants his foot and goes. He did a wheel route wrong and very sloppy early but he frames the ball really well and even on the wrong route still caught the ball. He fumbled early but held on after that.

I thought Ganaway looked slow and his foot speed in the drills wasn't very good.

Bennie Cunningham on the other hand had quick, choppy feet and leans into his runs.

Wide Receiver-Tavon Austin caught this pass to the left hashmark on a circle route, stopped, pivoted and absolutely floored it.....if they had been tackling I don't think anyone could have caught him. He later fooled Finnegan on a double move and Sam hit him for what would have been about a 70 TD. He also took a handoff and flew through the middle.

It is startling to see him on the field and how little he is but on my Rams goodness can he just flat out fly.

Bailey also caught a bomb from Sam and was getting mixed into the first team reps.

Austin Pettis was in on all the offensive huddles and I couldn't figure out what exactly he was doing and then I finally saw he was helping the rookies and the younger players with the routes and assignments. If every Ram draftee improved as much from their rookie year to the current year this team would never had had all the losing years piled on top of each of other.

I thought Quick looked a lot more decisive in his cuts and routes, he was chopping his feet and not taking such long strides. He made a couple of really good catches on outs. He is running second to Pettis right now.

The kid from Lindenwood named Helmick can absolutely fly. He is generously listed at 6:00 and 192 but he went across the middle consistently and caught everything throw his way.

There was also a kid named Raymond Radway from Abeliene Christian that caught my eye a couple of times, he is a second year man.

Tight ends-Kendricks is on the PUP list and Cook and Harkey were the top two out there. Harkey played in the Kendricks role and moved all over the place and was a fullback at times. Cook was in the slot most of the time but came inline and they used a two tight formation a lot. They opened with a single back three wide one tight end formation with Cook in the slot and Austin as the third.

Oline-The Oline and Dline were in Oklahoma drills a lot and I watched the 7 on 7 more while that was going on. I did see Quinn knock Jake Long down on one rep. I also saw Brockers twist Chris Willliams every which way but loose. My son said Barksdale was abused a lot in the drills. The Oklahoma drill has both units line up on each other but only one position is live.

Dline-Later on they did have another segment of practice with the third and fourth string locked in Oklahoma drills. I watched that a lot more and a kid named Gerald Rivers was destroying everyone they put on him. He is undrafted rookie out of Ole Miss that is listed at 6:05 and 249. When I did catch the starters Eugene Sims won every match he was in.

Linebackers-I don't have much of a feel for this, they are so limited in what they can do early on and in shells. Ogletree looks cut and muscular and his talent is obvious.

DBacks-Darian Stewart and TJ McDonald started at safety. I saw Stewart helping McDonald line up on several occasions. When I did watch McDonald he was staying low and not as high as he did in college.

Jenkins and Givens jawed at each other almost all day. Jenkins clearly interfered with Givens early and it was on between the rest of the day.

Quinton Pointer still looks like one of the best special teams players the Rams have.

Special Teams-Greg The Leg nailed the tower several time today.

Back at it tomorrow.

Jimi

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Thanks Jimi. I've been following you on Twitter for most of the day, and it's been great as usual. I'm pretty stoked to hear about Helmick too. I don't know what it is about that kid, but he seemed to stand out to me as I started researching all the new receivers. I know he's not Tavon, but he seemed to be like an Amendola 2.0 or something. It's cool to hear that he's fearless over the middle, because that kind of solidifies it for me now. Do you think he has a good chance to make the 53?

FRO

Legend
Excellent work.

We haven't had a guy like Tavon in a long while. We needed that guy who can be the home run hitter.

jimitroutboy

@jimiramsboy
Name
Jim Fadler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
X said:
Thanks Jimi. I've been following you on Twitter for most of the day, and it's been great as usual. I'm pretty stoked to hear about Helmick too. I don't know what it is about that kid, but he seemed to stand out to me as I started researching all the new receivers. I know he's not Tavon, but he seemed to be like an Amendola 2.0 or something. It's cool to hear that he's fearless over the middle, because that kind of solidifies it for me now. Do you think he has a good chance to make the 53?

I heard an interview with him on WXOS around draft time, thought oh yeah its Randy Karraker being nice to the local small college kid. It was a great interview by the way.

But still I thought little of it until I actually saw him play......he has some legitimate jets, catches the ball really well and seemed to be not be awed one bit by his surroundings. I have had time to read some of the writers reactions, he flashed to Softil and JT. He definitely has a shot

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
It's good to see you Jimi.....it's been awhile I hope you are well.

A55VA6

Legend
Wow! Thanks for typing all of this out! It has me damn excited. I smiled when I read your part on Tavon Austin. He is just going to shine.

I'm also going to follow you on twitter.

jimitroutboy

@jimiramsboy
Name
Jim Fadler
LesBaker said:

No worries all is well.

What I do every year after the draft is take some time off from the internet boards and watch baseball. It helps me recharge my batteries, keep my life in focus and stay sane. That is why I have been "away" for a bit. I tend to be obsessive over the Blue and Gold and this helps me keep everything balanced.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
jimitroutboy said:
LesBaker said:

No worries all is well.

What I do every year after the draft is take some time off from the internet boards and watch baseball. It helps me recharge my batteries, keep my life in focus and stay sane. That is why I have been "away" for a bit. I tend to be obsessive over the Blue and Gold and this helps me keep everything balanced.
You're a smart man.

I lost my sanity years ago, but I think I hide it well.
No you don't.
Shut up.
No You.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Jim, quite simply, you gave the most and best info out of everyone that tweeted there today. As always, it is greatly appreciated.

fastcat

Pro Bowler
I heard Radway was a practice squad stud last year and he consistantly beat finnegan and Jenkins last year in practice. Interesting u mentioned his name also... Maybe he is someone to look out for.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

jimitroutboy

@jimiramsboy
Name
Jim Fadler
fastcat said:
I heard Radway was a practice squad stud last year and he consistantly beat finnegan and Jenkins last year in practice. Interesting u mentioned his name also... Maybe he is someone to look out for.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

The pass that caught my eye was across the middle, he leaped, high pointed it and snatched it out of the air. I always look for guys that can catch and run smoothly and he did that. He did all that and never really broke stride.

nighttrain

Legend
X said:

It's cool to hear that he's fearless over the middle

an attitude that all receivers should have, but a lot of them dont, Great to hear. Lots of good stuff, really liked hearing bout Quick
thanks
train

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
In a list Shane Gray mentioned of players who stood out, he mentioned Ray Ray. How did he look in your opinion? I know you said you couldn't gauge the LB's to well but figured id ask if he was notciable or not.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
As usual you demonstrate your superior eye for things jim, thanks .are you working on the walking path to the new stadium yet?

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Big Ups to you Jimi.

I can't wait for your next report. Thanks for taking the time to share with all of us insane freaks round here.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
jimitroutboy said:
LesBaker said:

No worries all is well.

What is this "baseball" you mention that takes your time away from talking about and watching football. Is it a condition that can be treated?

Let us know about how well Helmick runs routes I heard someone say he was smooth.

Thanks for the report my man.