Cam Newton verge of mega deal. Is he overrated?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
That's a good thing though. You'd rather have him run for a first down than throw an INT.

I'd say that shows great game management - scramble for a few yards if he thins an INT is on the cards if he throws the ball, isn't that the sort of decision good QBs make??

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
I think it would happen when the disparity between QB contracts and other positions become so outlandishly wide that it'll hurt the QB for not retaining key players, eventually decreasing their market value. These QB contracts are not meant to go up forever, hopefully it'll happen once Nick Foles signs a new deal with us while doing well.
That would be a nice problem to have :)

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://mmqb.si.com/2015/06/03/yahoo-nfl-internet-broadcast-mailbag/2/

Peter King:

A few thoughts about the five-year, $103-million contract extension signed by Cam Newton of the Carolina Panthers.

I love the deal for Newton, and for the Panthers. Three reasons why:

1. Dave Gettleman is singing an old Stephen Stills tune. The Carolina GM is loving the one he’s with. It’s fine to say Newton has this or that deficiency, that he needs to be a better decision-maker, he needs to hone his accuracy, he needs to play better on the big stage. All true points. But there aren’t many like Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady. Baltimore would like Joe Flacco not to throw the occasional careless downfield pick.

The Giants wish Eli Manning were more consistent. But those quarterbacks, Flacco and Eli Manning, have won Super Bowls—three of them combined—and Flacco has won at least one playoff game in six of his seven years in the NFL. I prefer to look at Newton’s career this way: He’s made very good progress from an itinerant college quarterback, playing for one junior college and two top programs in the span of three autumns, to being the face of a needy franchise. He’s everything you want in terms of a man and a billboard for your franchise. Newton will get better as he grows, and as his offense matures and gets more talent.

2. It’s too hard to find another one, and too hard to find a better one. Ask yourself this question: Of the five quarterbacks taken in the first round of the past two drafts—Blake Bortles, Johnny Manziel, Teddy Bridgewater, Jameis Winston, Marcus Mariota—would you want any of them over Newton to build your franchise around? You might be intrigued with one or more, but is there one you’re sure is better than Newton?

3. Newton is a beacon for the unobsessed quarterback, and a bright one. Now, I wouldn’t pay him for this reason, so maybe this is a misplaced point here. But I was struck last summer talking to Newton about how he was different from most of the quarterbacks playing at the top level of football now, and most of the young quarterbacks coming up behind him.

Those quarterbacks, mostly, were products of a pipeline of summer coaching and fall coaching and winter coaching, and of spring and summer seven-on-seven football leagues that emphasize endless throwing and catching with college-prospect receivers. Newton, for the most part, didn’t have that growing up in Atlanta. He had a lot of catching up to do so he could compete against quarterbacks with better coaching and better off-season throwing programs. That’s why I think his best football, without question, is ahead of him.

I love Carolina investing in Newton. He’s a growth stock.

Ram65

Legend
10 Cutler

Cutler? Really?

From article posted by Prime Time

But the real value of the contract must include the remaining contractual value. For Newton, who already was under contract for 2015 at a fifth-year option value of $14.67 million, his total package becomes six years and $118.47 million. That’s a total average of $19.745 million per year.

http://overthecap.com/position/quarterback/

In a 2-3 his years pay will be just above average. Panthers have their QB signed up for the next six years.

Would the Rams be better off with Newton and his contract on their books?

We have to see what Foles does. If he does well he will get shown the money too!

I never was a big fan of Newton. Lately, he hasn't been in any trouble and seems to be ready for his best football during this contract.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Yeah......... :notsure:

View: https://twitter.com/Gil_Brandt/status/606191214132609024

From the link:

Forget about 2020 -- Newton can be a top-five QB today
I think an argument can be made that Newton belongs in the top five right now, based on ability. He might not be at the level of Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady just yet, but he's right there with the next tier of signal-callers, a hard-to-order group that includes Ben Roethlisberger, Andrew Luck, Russell Wilson and Tony Romo. And while he might not exactly be a no-doubt lock to slot in above that top-five line at this point, if I had to predict who will be considered the Rodgers and Brady of the NFL three years from now, I'd pick Newton and Luck.

In fact, I think Newton stacks up well with Rodgers in almost every important facet of the game, aside from experience. Newton is smart and he has character. Plus, he has great athletic ability -- he's more athletic than Rodgers. Rodgers is, of course, more accurate, but then, few could hold a candle to Rodgers in that area. Remember, too, that Rodgers has a stellar receiving corps to work with, one that is much better than anything Newton has had with the Panthers. If Newton were dropped onto the Packers' roster, I think he could be almost as successful as Rodgers. The Packers quarterback's edge in experience gives him better command of the game. But with some time and a better supporting cast, the hard-working Newton should grow into a player of Rodgers' caliber, capable even of completing passes at a similar rate.

I have a relationship with Newton, and I'm proud of him. This kid has been maligned and criticized, but I think most of his perceived problems -- throws too hard, lacks accuracy -- are more in the public's imagination than anything. After all, it's tough to be accurate when you don't have good receivers to throw to. If he were to get his own version of Jordy Nelson or Rob Gronkowski or his own version of the offensive line in Green Bay, there's no limit to what he could do.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
w8F1DHi.jpg

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
I don't think Newton is even close to the level of Aaron Rodgers nor will he ever be. Rodgers will be in the HOF and still be a house hold name 20 years from now like an Elway, Marino, Montana. He's not just one of the best playing now. He's one of the best EVER.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
All i know is that Cam was a pawn that contributed to the bigger picture, which was the final blow that was the Epic prophecy of the Arians Karma meltdown of 2014.

I approve.
9KK0h.So.138.jpeg

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
They were 7-8-1, but they won a playoff game against a very good AZ squad and gave the NFC champs a run for their money.

That counts for something.

Those games were won by the Panthers defense, which totally throttled AZ and SEA offenses and the only reason SEA won is because Newton turned it over three times.

CAR may have a better defense than the Seahawks, late in the season they were the best in the NFL.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Cutler? Really?

From article posted by Prime Time

But the real value of the contract must include the remaining contractual value. For Newton, who already was under contract for 2015 at a fifth-year option value of $14.67 million, his total package becomes six years and $118.47 million. That’s a total average of $19.745 million per year.

http://overthecap.com/position/quarterback/

In a 2-3 his years pay will be just above average. Panthers have their QB signed up for the next six years.

Would the Rams be better off with Newton and his contract on their books?

We have to see what Foles does. If he does well he will get shown the money too!

I never was a big fan of Newton. Lately, he hasn't been in any trouble and seems to be ready for his best football during this contract.
Who would you rate as the 10th best QB in the league?

Zombie Slayer

You are entitled to nothing.
Name
Dave
At this point, I would rather have a game manager qb who won't turn the ball over and doesn't make many mistakes over paying a guy 20+ million a year. Stack the oline and get some playmakers around the qb and you'll be fine. Strong defense, strong special teams, over powering run game and a qb who doesn't make mistakes and you can win a lot of games. Rams are almost there with that and I think we will see that this year barring injuries to oline and qb.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
All you have to do is throw 20 TD's to get 20M? sign me up.

He's talented and hasn't had great players around him but he's had a really good defense to support him as well.

I personally don't think he's worth that much but not sure Carolina has a better option anyway. They are kinda screwed.

WvuIN02

Starter
"but he's right there with the next tier of signal-callers, a hard-to-order group that includes Ben Roethlisberger, Andrew Luck, Russell Wilson and Tony Romo"

Gil Brandt put him in the same sentence with Ben? Who threw for 4,952 yards last year (tied for 1st in the NFL with Brees)??? Newton had 3,127..........Lmfao..........that guy needs to be put out to pasture already.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://mmqb.si.com/2015/06/04/nfl-rookie-contracts-cba-agents/

FIVE THOUGHTS ON CAM NEWTON’S NEW DEAL

1)
The contract compares favorably to the extensions given to the class of 2013—Tony Romo, Aaron Rodgers, Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco—which had a range of a $20 million APY (average per year) and $52-60 million guaranteed. Newton’s deal is certainly superior to those of the class of 2014 and 2015, which included Colin Kaepernick, Andy Dalton, Alex Smith and now Ryan Tannehill. Thus, the numbers make sense. Were I arguing on behalf of Newton, I would have stressed that we are now two years past the 2013 market, with hefty cap increases since that time. The most impressive number in the deal is the three-year cash flow: $67 million. Regarding NFL player contracts—the kids’ table compared to NBA and MLB—that is real money.

2) In judging these contracts against each other, a key metric is existing salary. Newton was scheduled to make $14.67 million this year (his option year) so “new money” must be judged accordingly. While he will make a staggering $31 million this year, he will actually make only $16.33 million above and beyond what he was already due. In contrast, while many have judged the Dalton and Kaepernick contracts harshly, they would have been making around $1 million in the final year of their contracts absent an extension, a much different circumstance than older quarterbacks. As no two contracts are alike, it is hard to objectively grade these contracts.

3) Kudos to Panthers general manager Dave Gettlemen for recognizing the importance of securing Newton. I am sure we can expect the same with Luke Kuechly in the foreseeable future. Following the lockout in 2011, the Panthers had what I thought was haphazard spending—cash and cap consequences be damned. In the past couple of years, however, they have shown admirable restraint, especially avoiding quick-fix veterans at wide receiver after letting Steve Smith go. They trust their scouting and coaching and are locking up their core players, characteristics of a club poised for sustained success.

4) On the other side of the labor equation is Newton’s agent, Bus Cook. There may be no agent whom I have worked with more, having had dozens of dealings over the years regarding Brett Favre. In fact, I am not proud to say that I gave out the first $100 million contract, to Bus and Brett, fourteen years ago. Bus plays the old country lawyer, but he is as sharp as a tack, and still at it. And he did well by Newton here.

5) I am still waiting, however, for one of these top quarterbacks to say to a team, “Keep your $100 million; give me $85-90 million fully guaranteed” (like an NBA or MLB contract). While the team would likely balk, they would have to explain to a player like 25 year-old Cam Newton that they will not guarantee his salary when he is 29 or 30 years old. It will take one of these highly leveraged players to break the seal on fully guaranteed contracts. Perhaps it will be Andrew Luck or Russell Wilson. Stay tuned.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
He's worth every penny unless they have another QB just as good willing to play for less.