Cam Newton verge of mega deal. Is he overrated?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
When Dalton gets paid like 16-18 or w/e it is, get used to it man.

$18 mil is becoming average for average starting QB play.

I can get used to it an still say I don't want him at that price...How much do you think this pisses off the 'Hawk head shed ??? Yeow...

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
5 years 103 mill..60 mill guaranteed

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/06/02/six-years-118-47-million-for-cam-newton/

Six years, $118.47 million for Cam Newton
Posted by Mike Florio on June 2, 2015

camnewton-e1415670437617.jpeg
AP

New contracts routinely are characterized in agent leaks to the media based only on “new money,” because the average sounds better that way. For Cam Newton, five years and $103.8 million translates to an average of $20.76 million in “new money.”

But the real value of the contract must include the remaining contractual value. For Newton, who already was under contract for 2015 at a fifth-year option value of $14.67 million, his total package becomes six years and $118.47 million. That’s a total average of $19.745 million per year.

While it’s still unclear how much of the contract is fully guaranteed, the $22.5 million signing bonus strongly suggests that Newton won’t be cut during the next three years, during which he’ll reportedly pocket a record-setting $67.6 million.

The full details will say plenty about the cap numbers, the cash commitments, and the true guarantee Newton gets from the moment he signs the deal. But unless Newton regresses so dramatically that the Panthers believe they can find someone else who’ll perform even better, Newton likely isn’t going anywhere any time soon.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Definitely overrated, but that the story of the NFL these days. Every guy who does anything marginally decent gets a pat on the back these days and couple hundred mil.

Big Willie

Starter
In my mind he is not overrated, cause I don't rate him that highly based on numbers. I think he is an average QB based on his passing ability (not talking arm strength), but above average as a runner. Those characteristics put him the top 12-17 in the league and makes him average to above average overall. A team can win with him, but he needs a strong defense to keep scores close....and they have that in Carolina. He is a bigger, stronger, less elusive and less "heady" Russell Wilson....and we see that type of plea can work in the NFL. Still, when it's all said and done...I am not a fan of Cam (too much showboating for me).

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Those characteristics put him the top 12-17 in the league and makes him average to above average overall

But his pay well exceeds that.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
But his pay well exceeds that.
You have to overpay in this league for average talent. You just can't afford to let people walk away in the NFL anymore, because there will always be somebody willing to overpay to have him on their own team and the idea of getting another decent guy isn't so certain anymore.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
You have to overpay in this league for average talent. You just can't afford to let people walk away in the NFL anymore, because there will always be somebody willing to overpay to have him on their own team and the idea of getting another decent guy isn't so certain anymore.

And that's the crux right there.

If we had Cam, I'd probably suggest we should pay him. He's our best option, as others have said.

But those numbers are not on par with Aaron Rodgers dollars.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
And that's the crux right there.

If we had Cam, I'd probably suggest we should pay him. He's our best option, as others have said.

But those numbers are not on par with Aaron Rodgers dollars.
Definitely not, but then again Flacco and Dalton didn't deserve those dollars either. They've poisoned the waterhole and supersaturated the market for every semi decent to average QB you can win with.

That's just the state of things since the QB market has took a downward spiral, QBs are just busting left and right, even decent talent is becoming harder and harder to find. Just look at this draft class, it was awful. QBs are a downward trend and every team knows it. You just can't afford to say no.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Definitely not, but then again Flacco and Dalton didn't deserve those dollars either. They've poisoned the waterhole and supersaturated the market for every semi decent to average QB you can win with.

That's just the state of things since the QB market has took a downward spiral, QBs are just busting left and right, even decent talent is becoming harder and harder to find. Just look at this draft class, it was awful. QBs are a downward trend and every team knows it. You just can't afford to say no.

Agree. It's a mess at QB relative to contracts.

Then again, Dalton is actually a slotted contract, IMO. He's not paid top dollar like Cam is.

How would you rank the starting QB's 1-10? Does Newton make the list?

RaminExile

Hall of Fame

Yeah. The wierd thing is - I'd always say Flacco is worth that money even though he's not "elite", because he's good enough to do whatever you want - you can win with him. Dalton on his form so far in the league has cost them playoff games so I wouldnt have paid him - anyone "average" can do what he does. I'd suggest Flacco's a bit better than that.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Agree. It's a mess at QB relative to contracts.

Then again, Dalton is actually a slotted contract, IMO. He's not paid top dollar like Cam is.

How would you rank the starting QB's 1-10? Does Newton make the list?
In my opinion? No, Newton's not even close to cracking the top 10:
  1. Rodgers
  2. Tom Brady
  3. Manning
  4. Brees
  5. Roethlisberger
  6. Luck
  7. Rivers
  8. Ryan
  9. Flacco
  10. Cutler
But in this market, who do you replace Newton with? You have to overrate him if you're the Panthers. They've already spent years floundering without a QB, they can't afford to let it happen again.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Yeah. The wierd thing is - I'd always say Flacco is worth that money even though he's not "elite", because he's good enough to do whatever you want - you can win with him. Dalton on his form so far in the league has cost them playoff games so I wouldnt have paid him - anyone "average" can do what he does. I'd suggest Flacco's a bit better than that.
120 mil is still overpaying for a game manager, even if he's as good as Flacco is. Overpaying for a slightly better Dilfer is going to hurt them in the end.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
I think it will as teams will exploit that by de-emphasizing the position in favor of creating a more balanced team.

I think it would happen when the disparity between QB contracts and other positions become so outlandishly wide that it'll hurt the QB for not retaining key players, eventually decreasing their market value. These QB contracts are not meant to go up forever, hopefully it'll happen once Nick Foles signs a new deal with us while doing well.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You have to pay the guy...but over $20 million a year? Jesus.