Cal's Keenan Allen clocks 4.71, 4.75 in 40, per Mayock

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Agamemnon

Rookie
Find this article at: <a class="postlink" href="http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000158580/article/cals-keenan-allen-clocks-471-475-in-40-per-mayock" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100000 ... per-mayock</a>
Cal's Keenan Allen clocks 4.71, 4.75 in 40, per Mayock

By Marc Sessler
Around the League Writer
Published: April 9, 2013 at 12:08 p.m.
Updated: April 9, 2013 at 12:23 p.m.

Where Keenan Allen lands in the draft will boil down to how teams view what he brings to the table -- and what he doesn't.

The Cal receiver was clocked by NFL Network's Mike Mayock at 4.71 and 4.75 seconds in the 40-yard dash at his Tuesday pro day, confirming that blazing speed is not a quality Allen offers.

He's been hampered by a posterior cruciate ligament injury throughout the draft process, but doctors now describe Allen's left knee as 100 percent healthy after he re-injured it in January. Trainers told Mayock that Allen only has 75 percent to 80 percent of his explosion, but said "that's what comes last" in the healing process. Allen recently told The Sacramento Bee that he's only about 85 percent back.

"Let me preface the whole 40-yard conversation with this," Mayock told NFL Network's "Path to the Draft." "Three months ago, I said -- if you watch this kid on tape -- if you like him, he's Anquan Boldin. If you don't like him, he's speed deficient. So I don't really care what he runs in the 40. On tape, to me, he's a 4.55 guy all day long."

Mayock called Allen's 40 results "not a good time," but scouts and coaches told him they expect Allen to be faster down the road. What he does give you, according to Mayock, is "a big, powerful, wide receiver" who could go anywhere from No. 25 to No. 45 in the draft.

"I believe in his toughness and his hands," said Mayock, confirming that he would, indeed, "bang the table" for Allen (and in Mayock's universe, that's a compliment of the highest order).

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Speed is great if you're looking to dominate on Madden, but sometimes game-speed, fluidity in the hips, and intelligence (route-running, recognition), MORE than makes up for a lack of straight-line speed.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
He reminds me of Austin Pettis.
That's from watching him play.
Is that what we want since we have the original. I don't want to call him a DeVanny WR. but....

Yamahopper said:
He reminds me of Austin Pettis.
That's from watching him play.
Is that what we want since we have the original. I don't want to call him a DeVanny WR. but....

I agree with the comparison and think we don't draft Allen...
and keep & develop our original. ;)

For WRs, I like Hunter alot...then, Austin & Patterson(as unique game-changers)
then..Hopkins , Patton, SBailey, Wheaton, etc

On defense, my gosh, WLB Ogletree is screaming to be a Fisher pick along with DT SRichardson that might drop to us.
Ogletree has to pass Fishers interview, of course...but Ogletree is a "Flying Unicorn" without a doubt. ;)

Anyway, Fisher is all about adding unique talent(Flying Unicorns) whether on defense or offense.
Players that have HUGE upside but might not be there yet. He likes to coach em up and develop them into AllStars. imo
So, follow the studs...or the even just the hint of studery in certain players...
and I think that's where Fisher picks.

And I trust him and Snead. They have proven they know what they want.
Either way, I'm cool with whomever they pick.

The Dude said:
Speed is great if you're looking to dominate on Madden, but sometimes game-speed, fluidity in the hips, and intelligence (route-running, recognition), MORE than makes up for a lack of straight-line speed.

That is definitely true, X!
J-Lau epitomizes that thought.

Sometimes, it looks to me like Fisher is on the hunt for outstanding unique, athletic human-clay...to mold.
That he and his staff can coach into being a Madden-speed freak AND intelligent/instinctive player.

I think we'll have a great draft like last year and this team will fast-track
and punch itself right into the noses of the 49ers & Hawks. ;)

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
Allen hasn't played in a while due to injury and as Softli said, he ain't getting faster as the years go by. So he's probably not a good investment for the Rams. I think I've changed my mind on him.

I believe the Rams really want a stud LB in this draft. Ogletree could be it at 16. Don't think he lasts until 22. I think the Bears or Bengals would snatch him up. I think Ogletree at 16 and Patterson at 22 is a real possibility.

max said:
I think Ogletree at 16 and Patterson at 22 is a real possibility.

I wouldn't mind that.
In fact, I'd be pretty stoked, Max!
Ogletree & Patterson are DEFINITELY Flying Unicorns! ;)
...maybe Austin too if Patterson is gone.

A55VA6

Legend
I'll come out and say this... I do not like Keenan Allen. I hope the Rams don't draft him because that would be a failure to get a good weapon in my eyes.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Just partly confirms why he never popped off the tape for me. Reminds me a a slower Michael Floyd. He plays faster than his timed speed, and Floyd plays slower, so they look about even to me.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
A55VA6 said:
I'll come out and say this... I do not like Keenan Allen. I hope the Rams don't draft him because that would be a failure to get a good weapon in my eyes.

I agree I really think Allen is a mid 3rd rounder at best just not impressed. Austin Patterson hunter Bailey all better then Allen imho

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I'm not comparing the players, but Larry Fitzgarald, Anquan Boldin, Jerry Rice, and Chris Carter couldn't go sub 4.5.

If Allen is still nursing his way back, I don't see the concern if the injuries are going to heal.

I'm in the minority; I like Allen.

jap

Legend
CGI_Ram said:
I'm not comparing the players, but Larry Fitzgarald, Anquan Boldin, Jerry Rice, and Chris Carter couldn't go sub 4.5.

If Allen is still nursing his way back, I don't see the concern if the injuries are going to heal.

Well, the question is whether a player is projected to be effective on the field. Decades ago, I saw where an NFL scout pointed out the track speed and game speed are often two different things. Some guys can run a 4.4 in track shorts and do only 4.6 in pads (e.g., Desmond Howard). Other guys run a 4.6 in shorts and 4.6 in pads (Jerry Rice). When we see scouts, coaches,or other NFL personnel heads talking about a player having game speed, they mean his track speed is very close to his speed in pads (game speed), where the difference is probably in the hundredths digit.

What Mayock is pointing out is that Keenan has effective game speed. That is the real important stat football-wise. If a guy is good there, the measured track speed is of no useful consideration.

This is one of the reasons why I feel prospects should do their 40-yard dashes at the combine in pads. There literally were teams who overlooked Jerry Rice because of his "poor" track time even though he was usually never caught from behind on the field.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
jap said:
CGI_Ram said:

Well, the question is whether a player is projected to be effective on the field. Decades ago, I saw where an NFL scout pointed out the track speed and game speed are often two different things. Some guys can run a 4.4 in track shorts and do only 4.6 in pads (e.g., Desmond Howard). Other guys run a 4.6 in shorts and 4.6 in pads (Jerry Rice). When we see scouts, coaches,or other NFL personnel heads talking about a player having game speed, they mean his track speed is very close to his speed in pads (game speed), where the difference is probably in the hundredths digit.

What Mayock is pointing out is that Keenan has effective game speed. That is the real important stat football-wise. If a guy is good there, the measured track speed is of no useful consideration.

This is one of the reasons why I feel prospects should do their 40-yard dashes at the combine in pads. There literally were teams who overlooked Jerry Rice because of his "poor" track time even though he was usually never caught from behind on the field.

I was trying to find Isaac Bruce's 40 time and I think it was 4.53.

So, yeah. The track speed and the game speed is something to factor in.

And... in Bruce's case, the speed he MAINTAINS getting in and out of his breaks.

It's a tricky deal. But Allen can run routes and that is why I like the guy. That said; if the Rams pass they are better equipped to make that choice than me... and... I don't like Allen any earlier than 25 so I don't think he's a factor unless we trade down.

jap

Legend
CGI_Ram said:
jap said:
CGI_Ram said:

I was trying to find Isaac Bruce's 40 time and I think it was 4.53.

So, yeah. The track speed and the game speed is something to factor in.

And... in Bruce's case, the speed he MAINTAINS getting in and out of his breaks.

It's a tricky deal. But Allen can run routes and that is why I like the guy. That said; if the Rams pass they are better equipped to make that choice than me... and... I don't like Allen any earlier than 25 so I don't think he's a factor unless we trade down.

Bruce is another one who had great game speed or, to use another NFL aphorism, who "carried his pads well." And he was faster than Jerry too. :ww:

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Before Allen's timed speed, I'd have Brian Quick rated over him if they were in the same draft. Quick is bigger, faster, has better hands, and is way more explosive, IMO. So why would Allen even fit, even if Allen is more polished coming out, Quick has at least had a taste of the NFL. It is way too soon to call him a bust, since he didn't get a lot of opportunities. I see Allen as being too close to Quick, and Cook.

I'd be looking at a different type of receiver that could cause match-up problems. I'd either like a polished, smooth possession type guy like Wheaton, Patton, Woods, or Bailey to replace Gibson. Or a size speed guy like Patterson, Hunter, or Dobson, to use as another vertical weapon. Or to replace Danny, Austin, Swope, Moe, or Stills.

That would give us a weapon, and create mismatches on every down.

Givens as the flanker.
Quick as the big possession receiver at split end.
Austin/Moe/Stills as the slot weapon.
Pettis as a goal line threat, and backup of every position, or as our slot receiver if we don't draft one.
Patterson/Hunter/Dobson as another deep threat outside receiver.
Patton/Wheaton/Woods/Bailey as another all around quick, smooth receiver. Could probably play any position like Pettis, but faster.

So pick your poison, but when you throw in Kendricks and Cook, this would give us depth and versatility to create problems for opposing defenses.

duckhunter

Starter
DR RAM said:
Before Allen's timed speed, I'd have Brian Quick rated over him if they were in the same draft. Quick is bigger, faster, has better hands, and is way more explosive, IMO. So why would Allen even fit, even if Allen is more polished coming out, Quick has at least had a taste of the NFL. It is way too soon to call him a bust, since he didn't get a lot of opportunities. I see Allen as being too close to Quick, and Cook.

I'd be looking at a different type of receiver that could cause match-up problems. I'd either like a polished, smooth possession type guy like Wheaton, Patton, Woods, or Bailey to replace Gibson. Or a size speed guy like Patterson, Hunter, or Dobson, to use as another vertical weapon. Or to replace Danny, Austin, Swope, Moe, or Stills.

That would give us a weapon, and create mismatches on every down.

Givens as the flanker.
Quick as the big possession receiver at split end.
Austin/Moe/Stills as the slot weapon.
Pettis as a goal line threat, and backup of every position, or as our slot receiver if we don't draft one.
Patterson/Hunter/Dobson as another deep threat outside receiver.
Patton/Wheaton/Woods/Bailey as another all around quick, smooth receiver. Could probably play any position like Pettis, but faster.

So pick your poison, but when you throw in Kendricks and Cook, this would give us depth and versatility to create problems for opposing defenses.

As they say in the Carnival, "Give the Man a Cigar." Most sensible post concerning our WR situation I've seen yet.