Cal Offense Vs. Washington 2015

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

WvuIN02

Starter
Goff is the real deal. That release is so quick and he puts it where only his guy can get it...only a couple bad passes I saw like the one into double coverage that got intercepted near the goal line.

That pass at 5:10 is all you need to know about Goff and sums it all up in one nice play...that was not even stepping into the throw with a guy in his face. That back shoulder pass at 6:08 was nice too. His accuracy is going to lead to huge YAC for a guy like Tavon.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
IDK....still makes me nervous....shotgun....slants....some curl routes...and plenty of time in most cases to throw...
Again, I like Goff...TD pass at 5:17 2nd quarter is nice...nice touch....but deep outs, digs...3rd & 15 type plays....don't see it...still would rather have Wentz.

A better look would be vs the best defense in the Pac 12, USC, err, Utah...

Last edited:

WvuIN02

Starter
Goff was also playing with an awful OL, and didnt have weapons like Tavon and Gurley.

Wentz does nothing for me, and as the 1st overall pick should be running over dudes like Cam Newton or making throws like...well, Goff does. He might make a good QB one day, but history is against him.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay

I just looked it up, and according to nflsavant.com we ran shotgun on about 35% of snaps? Not an insignificant amount at all. Assuming we at least keep that number, that'd help his transition quite a bit.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I just looked it up, and according to nflsavant.com we ran shotgun on about 35% of snaps? Not an insignificant amount at all. Assuming we at least keep that number, that'd help his transition quite a bit.
Except on first downs...the 2nd most important down of a series....3rd down being the MOST important.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Except on first downs...the 2nd most important down of a series....3rd down being the MOST important.

First downs we mostly hand off anyway, and sometimes from the shotgun as well. We won't be asking him to throw 50 times a game. More like 25, and about half those will likely be from shotgun on third down. He should be just fine in his transition.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
meh....best time for a running team to throw is playaction on first down....

No one is saying that we can't do that. On first down, it's usually a run play is all I'm saying. We definitely will throw in a lot of playaction in there.

This is a thing that can be taught fairly easily in my opinion. Bradford and Mariota for example both have a very good playaction under center and did so immediately. I know for a fact that Goff has been working on dropping back from under center since his season was over, and has another ~5 months to do so. He should be fine doing that.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Year after year, people make a big deal out of QB not taking many snaps under center. I've yet to see a QB fail for that reason. In fact, I've yet to see a QB struggle making that transition. It's easy to teach a guy how to take snaps under center. You can teach kids playing Pop Warner football how to do it.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Year after year, people make a big deal out of QB not taking many snaps under center. I've yet to see a QB fail for that reason. In fact, I've yet to see a QB struggle making that transition. It's easy to teach a guy how to take snaps under center. You can teach kids playing Pop Warner football how to do it.

I would argue that it's not that big a deal to take the snap under center either but it's the footwork, timing and the progressions on 3, 5 and 7 step drops, not too mention turning one's back to the defense on play-action, where new QBs suffer and struggle.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I would argue that it's not that big a deal to take the snap under center either but it's the footwork, timing and the progressions on 3, 5 and 7 step drops, not too mention turning one's back to the defense on play-action, where new QBs suffer and struggle.

I'm not concerned. Goff has been working all off-season on this, has tremendously quick feet and polished footwork, and processes things extremely quickly on the field. He can handle it. There is going to be a transition for every QB. The question is if they have the attributes to successfully make the transition. Goff does. So does Wentz. But it'll be easier for Goff because he has less things in his game that he'll have to focus on refining.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
I'm not concerned. Goff has been working all off-season on this, has tremendously quick feet and polished footwork, and processes things extremely quickly on the field. He can handle it. There is going to be a transition for every QB. The question is if they have the attributes to successfully make the transition. Goff does. So does Wentz. But it'll be easier for Goff because he has less things in his game that he'll have to focus on refining.
Exactly! What do you guys think he's been doing in the off season? I'd say two things, working on taking a snap under center and dropping back and the second thing has been working on cheeseburgers to put on the weight he did since the end of the college season.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I know for a fact that Goff has been working on dropping back from under center since his season was over
I'm sure he has....Until the bullets fly in a real game, we won't know how all this work is panning out, will we?;)

Year after year, people make a big deal out of QB not taking many snaps under center. I've yet to see a QB fail for that reason. In fact, I've yet to see a QB struggle making that transition.
Any reason that can explain why some/most spread formation QB's struggle? Lets get specifically to the Air-Raid/Bear-Raid offense that Goff played in and had so much success. What's up with the lack of competent QB's that came from this offense?

Exactly.....
I feel Goff will be successful, especially in a west-coast style offense....More like what Brees, Rodgers, Carr, Bortles....the guys that like 4 wrs in their sets.
Playaction passing is made for Wentz....turning his back to the LOS, then finding his target after an excellent play fake....But that's just me....
I like deep outs, deep digs..strong arm....big hands:blah:...LOL

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Any reason that can explain why some/most spread formation QB's struggle? Lets get specifically to the Air-Raid/Bear-Raid offense that Goff played in and had so much success. What's up with the lack of competent QB's that came from this offense?

They don't. I did a comparison a few years ago and there was a similar success rate between highly drafted spread QBs and highly drafted pro style QBs.

I don't care about the lack of competent QBs from an offense that looks completely different at each program it's used at. People used this logic against Cam Newton. They used it against Marcus Mariota. At some point, people need to learn that this logic doesn't work. Players are individuals. They are the ones you are evaluating. Generalities don't get you anywhere.

And frankly, look at the long list of current starting QBs who played in spread offenses:
Andy Dalton
Blake Bortles
Joe Flacco
RGIII
Drew Brees
Derek Carr
Colin Kaepernick
Cam Newton
Alex Smith
Ben Roethlisberger
Tyrod Taylor
Marcus Mariota
Case Keenum
Brock Osweiler
Sam Bradford

That's nearly half the starting QBs in the NFL.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
They don't. I did a comparison a few years ago and there was a similar success rate between highly drafted spread QBs and highly drafted pro style QBs.

I don't care about the lack of competent QBs from an offense that looks completely different at each program it's used at. People used this logic against Cam Newton. They used it against Marcus Mariota. At some point, people need to learn that this logic doesn't work. Players are individuals. They are the ones you are evaluating. Generalities don't get you anywhere.

And frankly, look at the long list of current starting QBs who played in spread offenses:
Andy Dalton
Blake Bortles
Joe Flacco
RGIII
Drew Brees
Derek Carr
Colin Kaepernick
Cam Newton
Alex Smith
Ben Roethlisberger
Tyrod Taylor
Marcus Mariota
Case Keenum
Brock Osweiler
Sam Bradford

That's nearly half the starting QBs in the NFL.
Goff would make it 16 for exactly half. It always seems like there are more than people realize, you just never realize until you look at the list.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Goff would make it 16 for exactly half. It always seems like there are more than people realize, you just never realize until you look at the list.

Well, technically, he'd be replacing Keenum so it would remain at 15. ;)

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
IDK....still makes me nervous....shotgun....slants....some curl routes...and plenty of time in most cases to throw...

How much film have you watched of Goff? I'm being serious here. Plenty of time to throw? The guy throws under pressure all the time! It's his biggest strength! His O-line was notoriously bad at Cal and he took that program from 1-11 to 8-5. Also the shotgun vs under center thing is blown out of proportion and has been for a long time.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

Six more days counselor, six more days until Goff is a Ram!
fvZXE7H.jpg