Cal fan's take on Goff

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

rdw

Pro Bowler
have you ever heard a coach not talking a player up when asked about him?
Not really, why do you ask?
Seriously though, he said some things about Goff that he wouldn't say about every prospect.

ViennaMax

Rookie
it was a hypothetical question - im on the goff train as well but i don't put much into things coaches and players say about players (especially draft prospects).

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Sorry I don't remember the quoted source but I heard on ESPN that the Rams met with Goff in No Cal and put him through the paces. The day was a very wet, raining and windy day in February and Goff was slinging it very impressively.
Word is the Rams walked away wowed.
Don't know what that means for sure but I am starting to feel like I have no idea which QB they are enamored with.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
Sorry I don't remember the quoted source but I heard on ESPN that the Rams met with Goff in No Cal and put him through the paces. The day was a very wet, raining and windy day in February and Goff was slinging it very impressively.
Word is the Rams walked away wowed.
Don't know what that means for sure but I am starting to feel like I have no idea which QB they are enamored with.
Yes I saw an interview with Snead, or maybe it was him on the Rich Eisen radio show, where Snead said they worked him out in the rain and had to keep drying off the balls.

dolphinlover123

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Great call out on the play action, I never said it was easy, said it was easier then learning the other things I mentioned though. Goff has been working a ton since the end of the season on working under center. I do agree though it's a tough transition, it a guess on my part but I just don't see trading away that many picks for Wentz, he's big has a strong arm and can run, from and accuracy and progression standpoint I just don't see it.

Your absolutely correct on the deep throws, one thing you will notice though is on the under throws thats usually his last progression and the receiver is way downfield and usually wide wide open. They run a trips to the right all verticle with an RPO, Goff first executes the play action progresses through the trips side, if that's not open he comes back to Davis because the deep saftey has usually floated over to the trips side hence him being so wide open. I think part of the reason for the underthrow is the receiver is so wide open, and there is a fear of an overthrow. One other thing that scared me the first two years were his deep middle throws, he threw a few picks because he wasn't accounting for the saftey. He seemed to clean that up last year.

One thing he does excel at it placement on the go routes in man coverage, it's usually over the outside shoulder or out of bounds so no picks. He also throws great fade routes, Lawler his receiver on the right made quite a few spectacular catches based Goffs ball placement.

Don't get me wrong though, in think one of the issues he ran into this year was he was getting so good at reading defenses that he would show tendencies based on certain defenses. 3 of his picks were in disguised cover 2s where the corner would come up to the flat then drop back to the over the top route. He cleaned that up though the line also got better towards the end of the year giving him a little more decision time.

I can go on all night about the good and bad things, honestly though what it comes down to for me is the intangibles he has, I watch alot of CFB and I just don't see other qb's with the pocket awareness, the mechanics and the ball placement he has. I just don't see trading so much for Wentz, nothing against the guy at all but besides him playing in a play action offense and being big and strong I don't know, I watched alot of Hogan and i would have stayed where I was and took him.

Who knows right, I'm a CAL fan so I lean towards Goff. I'll watch some more Wentz film though.

Update (watching Wentz in the national championship game against Montana) I like him but their offense looks very similar to Cal's, mostly shotgun and lots of RPO. Their routes seem to be alot deeper though maybe due to play action)

Great post! The disguised cover 2s used by Utah did trip him up a couple of times that game. And also liked your comment about fade routes- his go-to end-zone play. I'm pretty sure their fade route is all based on timing, which I think is a valuable skill. He has had great chemistry with the good depth of receivers in Kenny Lawler, Bryce Treggs, and Stephen Anderson. And the defenses knew the fade routes were coming their way. It's just almost impossible to stop him if he gets the placement right.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Welcome. A lot in that post I'd like to go with the bolded part: I think it’s a lot easier to teach a QB to take snaps from under center then to teach (if it’s possible to teach) the other intangibles Goff already possesses.

Well, yeah, but only because many intangibles that the top QBs possess can't be taught AT ALL. That doesn't mean that teaching a QB to take snaps from under center is easy. Gruden had concerns that Goff wasn't accounting for all the rushers and taking hits behind that leaky OL at Cal. Well, in a Play Action based offense that the Rams run, the QBs back gets turned on the LOS and rushers so that awareness is key or he's going to get creamed. Teaching a QB to take snaps under center is actually quite difficult because it changes the entire rhythm of the passer and it puts a LOT more fatigue into the legs. Want to feel it for yourself? Do 10 squats, then do a QB drop back. Do 10 more, then do it again. If you're out of shape, it'd e pretty easy to stumble because a whole set of muscles need to be built up. Point is that by the 3rd quarter, there's a difference that will affect footwork, weight distribution, release point and timing. The entire issue of mechanics have to be kept in mind. It's not just practicing a few crossover steps and strengthening the hip flexor muscles, it's maintaining good mechanics across a moving platform and changing how he sets up.

Also, I keep reading about Goff "dropping dimes".

I don't see that. I see him consistently underthrowing his deep throws while Wentz hits his receivers deep in stride. At Cal, I think he got away with that way more than he will at the pro level.

In Goff's favor, I think he was more accurate in the intermediate level overall. I like Wentz more on those big throws to the sideline, the "1st down" throws if you will, but overall, yeah, I see Goff as more accurate in the intermediate range.

So, as far as "dropping dimes" I just don't see it and certainly not on the long balls.

I too noticed this watching his games. Goff doesn't "lead" the WRs, rather the WRs need to slowdown or stop or comeback to/for the ball. Where as Wentz leads his WRs, and keeps them in stride!

Ram210

UDFA
My first choice would be Wentz he seems like the better player who is bigger and stronger with Andrew Luck, Ben Roethlisberger, and Jameis Winston type football qualities. Goff is a smaller sized player who in my opinion lacks the overall ability of Wentz. Goff throws the ball well and has more starting experience but he seems below Wentz in most QB related qualities.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
Whew lot's to catch up on in this thread!

Fisher had very favorable comments about Goff in a February 3 interview with Tim Kawakami of the Mercury News ...Sorry, I don't know how to link the story or the audio.
That's okay, Kawakami is a pro-Whiner assclown of the highest degree, never link his crap here.

Goff did great things against good competition. Wentz did well against meh competition.
This is true to a degree, but have to remember the Cal schedule was populated with some of the worst D1 defenses in the nation (in history?). The Pac12 is basketball on grass, there is almost zero real football. It's hard to find a legit defense that Goff played against -- in a past thread discussing Hackenberg, I looked at their only common opponent -- SDSU, which is sadly arguably the best defense Cal played against. And Sackenberg was just as good, perhaps a tiny bit better than Goff against SDSU.

Who fits? Is he going back to the complete failure of a spread offense he tried several seasons ago?
I don't think it's fair to say the Rams tried a spread offense, it's more accurate that they tried a pure West Coast offense for that 4 game nightmare. They tried to replace a lack of running game with short passes (the classic "long handoff"). A spread offense has passes that travel longer than 2 yards downfield; the Rams 4 games there had all west coast offense routes breaking short -- which sadly got Bradford blamed for being "Captain Checkdown" when in fact there were simply no deep options by design.

Added a pic of Goff Speaking with Jerry afterward.
Was I the only one that read this and expected a pic of Goff and his biggest fan @jrry32 ? I gotta get out more...

What I like about Goff is that he had to work with a weaker oline
But the Bear Raid is designed to have a "weak" o-line... their vertical pass protection garbage feeds into the scheme because 90% (more?) of the plays are throws that are gone in under 2 seconds so there might as well not even be an o-line on the field. I think any perceived weaknesses of the offense (bad o-line, bad running game, etc.) are overshadowed by the huge positives the air raid scheme has on QB stats and success.

Goff doesn't "lead" the WRs, rather the WRs need to slowdown or stop or comeback to/for the ball. Where as Wentz leads his WRs, and keeps them in stride!
This can cut both ways, I think Goff here is showing intelligence when the defense is in a zone and doesn't want to lead his receiver into the coverage, but throws away from the coverage instead of to the receiver, which is most important in the NFL.

RamzFanz

Damnit
I have a different view of Fisher's comments. I think he is very candid when circumstances allow. But we'll see, won't we, if (as I expect) the Rams take Goff, citing his accuracy, outstanding footwork, quick release, and ability to escape pressure.

Whatever happens, just remember, I predicted it...

...unless they fail, then you did. (y)

Last edited:

WvuIN02

Starter
I too noticed this watching his games. Goff doesn't "lead" the WRs, rather the WRs need to slowdown or stop or comeback to/for the ball. Where as Wentz leads his WRs, and keeps them in stride!
I was going to post some videos but jerry beat me to it.

dolphinlover123

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This is true to a degree, but have to remember the Cal schedule was populated with some of the worst D1 defenses in the nation (in history?). The Pac12 is basketball on grass, there is almost zero real football. It's hard to find a legit defense that Goff played against -- in a past thread discussing Hackenberg, I looked at their only common opponent -- SDSU, which is sadly arguably the best defense Cal played against. And Sackenberg was just as good, perhaps a tiny bit better than Goff against SDSU.

I'm not sure what you're basing this on. I don't think Pac-12 has the worst D1 defense in the nation and SDSU is NOT the best defense Cal played against :(. I'm not a football junkie and don't know what the trusted rankings are, but Pac-12 has some great defensive teams. Washington is a great example. Stanford is also known more for their defense than the offense. Although last year, their offense might have been better than the defense. Cal played Texas, which also emphasizes defense. Utah was a great defensive team last year as well.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/feidef

tavian

Not me.I am waaaay uglier
Haha idk, I feel hooked already. Spent the whole weekend on this board :l. Need an intervention.
Welcome Aboard. I already like you just because that Cal avatar of yours has the same letters on it
as my favorite QB prospects helmet.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
I'm not sure what you're basing this on. I don't think Pac-12 has the worst D1 defense in the nation and SDSU is NOT the best defense Cal played against :(. I'm not a football junkie and don't know what the trusted rankings are, but Pac-12 has some great defensive teams. Washington is a great example. Stanford is also known more for their defense than the offense. Although last year, their offense might have been better than the defense. Cal played Texas, which also emphasizes defense. Utah was a great defensive team last year as well.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/feidef
I'm a huge Petersen fan, but I'm not really gonna touch anything that says Washington was the #1 defense in the nation.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I really don't understand the love for Wentz. When I think of things I want a QB to do or have, they aren't things Wentz gets praised for. Accuracy, footwork, throwing mechanics, decision making especially in reaction to the blitz. What does Wentz get praised for? He's big. And he throws hard. He did a great whiteboard session once. Ok, but does that make him a good QB?

where all my Cal fans at in here?

You guys watching tonight?

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin

Why are you even bringing these threads back to life? Is your whole point just to sign on and talk mad shit to fellow rams fans after a big win? To just continue to show your hate for Goff and giant erecting you have for Wentz? Either way makes you look horrible either way

dolphinlover123

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I love Goff. so... no regrets here whatsoever.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion

At this point, ur begging for a dismissal. You really hate Golf for some some reason. Hate somewhere else please. 9-3 and u are as unbearable as ever....