C.J. Mosley?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

paceram

Pro Bowler
Do you think the Rams will show any interest in selecting LB C.J. Mosley with their 2nd 1st Round pick in the 2014 Draft? I think he is one of the best Defensive Players in college this year and he could team up with James Laurinaitis and Alex Ogletree to form a pretty good LB group next season. But, the Rams might be very happy with Jo-Lonn Dunbar or Will Weatherspoon and not see the need in drafting a LB that high. Mosley just seems to be a very active, skilled, intelligent and intense player that could help the Rams if they feel like they need any help at their LB position. I always hated it when the Rams missed out on Patrick Willis back in 2007 and Mosley seems to be that same type of player to me. And, who knows? Mosley might not even be available when the Rams select with their second 1st round pick.

SaneRamsFan

Rookie
I'm open to any impact player at any position other than de and qb on either side of the ball. Why wouldn't I be.

fancents86

Starter
i dont see the lb position being addressed that early in the draft, if at all. I'd love to see all our lbs back next season.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Im with A55VA6, i don't think we do. It is a possibility and would make our LB corps amazing, but they will only be a 2 down player really, unless your going to sit JLau or Tree on 3rd down. Id wait till at least the 2nd to find Dunbar's future replacement. Trade down as much as possible with our 1st rounders.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Loucheiz Purifoy*, CB, Florida
Height: 6-1. Weight: 189.
Projected 40 Time: 4.40

Calvin Pryor*, S, Louisville
Height: 6-2. Weight: 208.
Projected 40 Time: 4.53

Dion Bailey*, S/OLB, USC
Height: 6-0. Weight: 210.
Projected 40 Time: 4.60

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
Its a passing league now, meaning teams are going 3+ WR more than ever. Which means defenses have essentially 12 starters, the 12th being the nickelback. Because the nickelback is on the field so much, the D only has 2 LBs. JL & Tree are our every down LBs, in base D & in nickel packages. I just don't see us addressing LB early in the draft if at all because the 3rd LB doesn't see the field as much in today's NFL. I'd love to resign Dunbar if the numbers were right, he's great vs the run, but 3rd LB is lower on the list of our offseason needs imo.

This is not to bash on JD, I love how he plays, but he's used less this year because he's the 3rd LB; in 2012 he was the 2nd LB for us so he had more opportunities to make plays. I will say he is a crucial player to have vs divisional foes like SF & SEA who heavily rely on the run, when we go base D more than we do vs other teams.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
Its a passing league now, meaning teams are going 3+ WR more than ever. Which means defenses have essentially 12 starters, the 12th being the nickelback. Because the nickelback is on the field so much, the D only has 2 LBs. JL & Tree are our every down LBs, in base D & in nickel packages. I just don't see us addressing LB early in the draft if at all because the 3rd LB doesn't see the field as much in today's NFL. I'd love to resign Dunbar if the numbers were right, he's great vs the run, but 3rd LB is lower on the list of our offseason needs imo.

This is not to bash on JD, I love how he plays, but he's used less this year because he's the 3rd LB; in 2012 he was the 2nd LB for us so he had more opportunities to make plays. I will say he is a crucial player to have vs divisional foes like SF & SEA who heavily rely on the run, when we go base D more than we do vs other teams.
Beautiful post bro! Most don't realize this much in today's NFL. What he need to select is a damn good CB or two which will be hopefully NFL ready next year!!

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
Beautiful post bro! Most don't realize this much in today's NFL. What he need to select is a damn good CB or two which will be hopefully NFL ready next year!!
Agreed. I'd be fine with getting a CB in the early rounds to backup the outsides & compete for the nickel spot.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
Agreed. I'd be fine with getting a CB in the early rounds to backup the outsides & compete for the nickel spot.
I'm sure one of our first 3 picks we could pick up a quality CB or two especially if we get value in a trade ya know? Excited to see how the rest of the season pans out.... IF we win out we might get into those mythical Playoff games people talk about that are sighted each January....

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Most of us realize that there are two linebackers that play all or most of the snaps and that Dunbar is not on the field as often. I have posted many times that using a first round pick on a linebacker doesn't make sense for a part time player. However, in the case of Mosley it may make sense. Doesn't Mosley have the potential to be a better ILB than Laurinitis? I think he does. JL is playing well enough but to think that his position can't be upgraded is silly. He is not the best ILB in the NFL. Mosley is a team leader for Alabama and he is a very instinctive all around ILB. I don't know how James Laurinitis contract is structured but if it is heavy on the back end or a lighter cap hit on the back end it could make sense to draft a guy like Mosley to be his future replacement.

The Rams have most of their glaring holes filled. They no longer have to choose a certain position in the first round. Instead they can focus more on the future of the team. They probably will draft a cornerback early on but they don't have to take one with their first round picks. They have two good starters at CB. They need a nickel backer that is not on the field every play....similar to Dunbar. So the Rams can take the best player available at a position that may need filling in a year or two. Taking a future left offensive tackle, a future inside linebacker, a future defensive tackle are all very possible choices. Being able to pick for the future is a wonderful position for the Rams to be in. They have not been in that position for years.

duckhunter

Starter
I really like Mosley. Doubt if they go LB first round but I wouldn't fault them if they took Mosley because he's one of the most instinctive I've seen in a while.

…..

Legend
I don't see Witherspoon on the roster next year unless he's a vet minimum backup.

TexasRam

Legend
Mosley is tempting. Upgrade in pass coverage over all our current lBers. Our lBers need to be upgraded. Not as bad as the secondary though. Would be a best available pick vs greatest need pick.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I really like Mosley. Doubt if they go LB first round but I wouldn't fault them if they took Mosley because he's one of the most instinctive I've seen in a while.

I have had a front row seat down here in the deep south. I like Bama's SR ILB C.J. Mosley but I not so sure he is their best LB'er. I truly believe he is a bonified second day draft pick. He just lacks big play ability. he sure did not have a very good day yesterday got caught being blocked away from the runner & sometime just outran. You have to also say he may be one of the most consistent LB'ers in the upcoming draft too. He is also a class act.

I agree with the poster who believes that Spoon will retire after this season. Rams will need a back up MLB'er for JL. If resigned Dunbar could continue to be the starting OSLB'er and the main reserve for JL. That's why I would suggest to Snead & Fisher to look hard @ bringing Dunbar back with a 3 yr contract that would pay him about 2 to 2.5 million a yr. In truth Dunbar can get a much better deal from elsewhere. Dunbar comes off the field in the Nickle leaving the rookie Ogletree on the field. Rams seem to want to get Tree all the action they can in preparations for the departure of Dunbar. Ray Ray Armstrong by next season should be stronger faster bigger & smarter & more than capable of replacing Dunbar assignments on the outside.

Rams can not afford much more if Dunbar bucks and goes elsewhere then they will look for cheaper easier selections from this seasons UDFA's like Daren Bates who is a gamer but small under 5-11 about 225 pounds or the bigger 6-1 235 pound Philip Steward who has been on the injured reserve since September. Rams could also pick up a MLB'er in the draft.

Last edited by a moderator:

fearsomefour

Legend
I don't see Witherspoon on the roster next year unless he's a vet minimum backup.

He is a good leader ect. I could see him converting to just a backup MLB (adding 20 lbs) but who knows if the team is interested in having him back.

duckhunter

Starter
I have had a front row seat down here in the deep south. I like Bama's SR ILB C.J. Mosley but I not so sure he is their best LB'er. I truly believe he is a bonified second day draft pick. He just lacks big play ability. he sure did not have a very good day yesterday got caught being blocked away from the runner & sometime just outran. You have to also say he may be one of the most consistent LB'ers in the upcoming draft too. He is also a class act.

I agree with the poster who believes that Spoon will retire after this season. Rams will need a back up MLB'er for JL. If resigned Dunbar could continue to be the starting OSLB'er and the main reserve for JL. That's why I would suggest to Snead & Fisher to look hard @ bringing Dunbar back with a 3 yr contract that would pay him about 2 to 2.5 million a yr. In truth Dunbar can get a much better deal from elsewhere. Dunbar comes off the field in the Nickle leaving the rookie Ogletree on the field. Rams seem to want to get Tree all the action they can in preparations for the departure of Dunbar. Ray Ray Armstrong by next season should be stronger faster bigger & smarter & more than capable of replacing Dunbar assignments on the outside.

Rams can not afford much more if Dunbar bucks and goes elsewhere then they will look for cheaper easier selections from this seasons UDFA's like Daren Bates who is a gamer but small under 5-11 about 225 pounds or the bigger 6-1 235 pound Philip Steward who has been on the injured reserve since September. Rams could also pick up a MLB'er in the draft.

Yup. The worst game that I've seen him play. He was exposed for whatever reason. He went down in my opinion.