C/G Mike Pollak available

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
Just saw the Bengals released him after he signed a 3 yr $5mill deal last March. I know he may be nothing or could be something to consider. He wouldn't command the Jason Brown/Scott Wells money or show the ineffectiveness that has drained us at center. Curious what other's thoughts are on him.

I don't know about his true ability or if he's JAG and I just darted in the wind on this topic.

SierraRam

Recreational User
Under the radar guy! "historically effective and only 30" per Rotoworld, scouts believe he should have been the Bengals starting Center but they "mistakenly" pushed rookie Russel Bodine in instead.

If we could get him at a good price, he would be an upgrade over Wells and allow us to season Rhaney another year

Either way, we have a limited amount of picks and Pollack is a better LG or C than what we have now!. Without Barksdale, we need 5 OL's! - this guy makes it 4.

I say he's a good, solid start to fixing our SERIOUS OL problem.

Alan

Legend
SierraRam using new math:
Either way, we have a limited amount of picks and Pollack is a better LG or C than what we have now!. Without Barksdale, we need 5 OL's! - this guy makes it 4.
I only count three holes. Which guy, Saffold or Robinson, don't you think is a starter?

Though we need depth of course.

iced

I only count three holes. Which guy, Saffold or Robinson, don't you think is a starter?

Of course he's a rookie and has room to grow - but based on what he put on tape last year..

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000441055/article/grading-firstround-draft-picks-offense

-Greg Robinson, Rams: (2nd overall pick) The Rams have surged down the stretch, but Robinson has endured his share of troubles. Forced to switch from left guard to bookend, the draft's No. 2 overall pick currently ranks 74th out of 78 qualifying tackles, per Pro Football Focus. We've seen more promise from Ja'Wuan James and Taylor Lewan, but Robinson probably had too much thrown on his plate heading into the season. I put that on the Rams. Grade: C-

For what its worth

-Jake Matthews, Falcons: (6th pick) As part of Atlanta's banged-up, Swiss-cheese line, no tackle in the league is grading out worse than Matthews, per PFF. Hobbled early by a high ankle sprain, the rookie has played through pain and was forced to adjust on the fly in a preseason switch to left tackle. Only four players at his position have allowed more quarterback hurries, but Matthews -- once healthy -- deserves a fresh look at the position in Year 2. Grade: C

FRO

Legend
Of course he's a rookie and has room to grow - but based on what he put on tape last year..

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000441055/article/grading-firstround-draft-picks-offense

-Greg Robinson, Rams: (2nd overall pick) The Rams have surged down the stretch, but Robinson has endured his share of troubles. Forced to switch from left guard to bookend, the draft's No. 2 overall pick currently ranks 74th out of 78 qualifying tackles, per Pro Football Focus. We've seen more promise from Ja'Wuan James and Taylor Lewan, but Robinson probably had too much thrown on his plate heading into the season. I put that on the Rams. Grade: C-

For what its worth

-Jake Matthews, Falcons: (6th pick) As part of Atlanta's banged-up, Swiss-cheese line, no tackle in the league is grading out worse than Matthews, per PFF. Hobbled early by a high ankle sprain, the rookie has played through pain and was forced to adjust on the fly in a preseason switch to left tackle. Only four players at his position have allowed more quarterback hurries, but Matthews -- once healthy -- deserves a fresh look at the position in Year 2. Grade: C
Probably written by someone who hasn't watch Robinson played and went off the PFF grades alone.

SierraRam

Recreational User

Yeah, I was including Depth... we have 5 holes and upgrades needed on our entire OL unit IMO

Alan

Legend
iced missing my point:
Regardless of how GR graded out in his rookie season, he still can't be considered a hole can he? ;) I still only count 3 holes to fill.

I have no clue how Matthews was even able to play with a high ankle sprain much less earn a C. When he described their O-line as "banged up" he wasn't kidding was he. :eek:

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Yeah, I was including Depth... we have 5 holes and upgrades needed on our entire OL unit IMO

But at Center we have Barnes, Jones, and Rhaney

That's depth - maybe not ideal in most eyes but we with 3 years under his belt Jones better step up

Alan

Legend
SierraRam bringing me into the fold:
Now I'm with you 100%. The only thing more scary than the play of the right side (including C) of our O-line was the fact that they were better than the backups. Supposedly. If true, we should shit can all our backups.

SierraRam

Recreational User
But at Center we have Barnes, Jones, and Rhaney

That's depth - maybe not ideal in most eyes but we with 3 years under his belt Jones better step up

I agree, but Pollack is an upgrade over all of them at this point. That might change in Rhaney's case (I hope)

We need to draft/sign 4-5 guys to fix the line. If all the A-list receivers are gone, we could get a starting G/T at #10. With Pollack on board, we're down to one starting hole to fill, and 2-3 depth spots depending on how the staff feels about Barnes, Jones...

Now I'm with you 100%. The only thing more scary than the play of the right side (including C) of our O-line was the fact that they were better than the backups. Supposedly. If true, we should crap can all our backups.

Yes sir - nobody wanted Jones and Barnes to step up more than this entire forum, but you said a mouthful: If you can't crack our lineup: WTF!

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Now I'm with you 100%. The only thing more scary than the play of the right side (including C) of our O-line was the fact that they were better than the backups. Supposedly. If true, we should crap can all our backups.
Evening Alan, I look at the holes in the OL like this.
#1 Priority is a starter @ORT.
#2 Prioirty is a starter @ OG.
#3 Priority would be a Versatile OL who can be a swing OT/OG reserve like FSU's Cam Erving.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
#3 Priority would be a Versatile OL who can be a swing OT/OG reserve like FSU's Cam Erving.
Erv can even play Center. Boom! ROD's head explodes.....

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Are we saying Barksdale is not our starting RT next season? I'm all for an upgrade but he was playing along side Joseph and then next to him Wells so I'm not sure Barks is a hole on the line.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Are we saying Barksdale is not our starting RT next season? I'm all for an upgrade but he was playing along side Joseph and then next to him Wells so I'm not sure Barks is a hole on the line.
Well, we have to sign him, and how much is he worth vs. what/who we can draft to replace him?

V3

Hall of Fame
Where's our center? We don't have a starting caliber C on the team.

Alan

Legend
BonifayRam thinking we already have the answer at center:
Hey Bonifay! Evening to you too. Those are three of my top four too. I know you have high hopes for some guys we already have in house at C but I'm not as sanguine about that as you are. Wells did not play well last year and that says something to me about their (the coaches) feelings concerning our backups.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Hey Bonifay! Evening to you too. Those are three of my top four too. I know you have high hopes for some guys we already have in house at C but I'm not as sanguine about that as you are. Wells did not play well last year and that says something to me about their (the coaches) feelings concerning our backups.
We do have a backup Center though. We've put a lot of time in Washington, and Long will either play Guard or RT. Person has an offseason of growth, as does Jones. I think we need two versatile, quality OL guys in this draft. I don't think Wells, or Joseph, or Barks will be back.

Alan

Legend
DR RAM seeing a glass half full:
We do have a backup Center though. We've put a lot of time in Washington, and Long will either play Guard or RT. Person has an offseason of growth, as does Jones. I think we need two versatile, quality OL guys in this draft. I don't think Wells, or Joseph, or Barks will be back.
Those options could pan out like you predict and it would be nice if it did. Still, I can't help but think "where's the beef" is more appropriate. We've (as in the ROD community) talked about this before and who knows how much of Wells and Joseph starting was because of Fisher preferring vets but he eventually came around with Donald and made him the starter so why not eventually go with some of the options you just mentioned?

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Those options could pan out like you predict and it would be nice if it did. Still, I can't help but think "where's the beef" is more appropriate. We've (as in the ROD community) talked about this before and who knows how much of Wells and Joseph starting was because of Fisher preferring vets but he eventually came around with Donald and made him the starter so why not eventually go with some of the options you just mentioned?
Well, yes, my glass is always, at least, half full, unless it's in my hand, and I still think with two high draftee's, and free agency, we can, and hope, we will, address all of our OL needs for a good while. We would have drafted Zach Martin, over Donald if he were available, and we even looked at moving up for him.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
Joesph made Wells and Barks much worse when Saffold had to move, so, It looks to me that guard is our #1 need followed by center and OT last. In fact i would bring two guards in before I brought in a tackle, unless Barks leaves.
Also, GRob's first year looked similar to Pace's, not that he is going to be that good, but it's way too early to panic about him. He improved through the year.
We do need better depth at all positions on the line though.