Bye Tavon ??? STAYS ON RESTRUCTURE!

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

fearsomefour

Legend
Tavon appears to be a team player above all else. I believe he has been humbled by his situation and will do everything in his power to win back a role. We lost our deep threat decoy in Sammy. I like Tavon in the jet sweep/jet sweep decoy role. It was a very important part of our attack last year that didn't show up in his stats last year. I would actually lover for him to win back some actual jet sweeps (like he ran against SF first game). Nothing like an 8 yard jet sweep to start off a series. Followed by a jet sweep decoy that springs Gurley for 28 yards later in the series.
I kept waiting to see some sort of pass action off that fake jet sweep....wheel route sort of thing.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
Don't clutter the issue with facts. Tell the people what they WANT to hear.

We'll all just get mad at Goodell next year if your wrong.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Sounds like Vinny's saying that there's not much cap savings. Sounds like the incentives will be MLTBE and not NLTBE. I think MLTBE count against the cap this year whether or not it's earned.

Like this less. But at least he can contribute somewhat. And we can cut him before the season if need be.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I respect the way Tavon has accepted his diminished role on the team, with the hope of improving. I don't know if it's a crisis of confidence, but last year we all watched a guy that you held your breath when the ball came his way on KR/PR's. It's my uninformed opinion as a fan, but how after all of these years, is he not an expert route runner? I gave up on him, honestly. Prove me wrong, Tavon..I want you to.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
Yes, he was overdrafted. Yes, he was overpaid.

But if you don't think he has value or a place in this league, just go back and watch the game films. Every time he goes in motion, the whole defense moves, taking at least one to two players out of position.

A lot of Gurley's big runs come off of an Austin motion play. Look at our losses and see how how many times he is used that way.

Run him as a decoy and then give him the ball once every 4-5 times seemed to work and end up in positive yardage last year. When the offense was rolling, the defense would get myopic and forget about Austin, focusing on Gurley/play action game. That was always a good time to give him the ball.

He's never gonna be much more than what we saw last year, but it's enough to effect the opposing DCs.

jap

Legend
Great move by the Rams here. Really no risk at all.

Tavon played all of 2017 with serious pain in his wrist. It clearly affected his ability to field punts.

If that wrist is better, I expect Tavon could be a little more than a gadget player in McVay's offense.

Hell, I hope he earns all the incentives - I'm sure that can only mean he is producing at a high level.

Agreed! I do not know if he was in pain all season long, but he was unable to participate in the team training camp drills. Consequently, he was never fully integrated into the Air McVay offense.

Can our Little Big Man establish a threatening presence in the Horns' aerial attack? If we ignore the Colts game in his rookie season, where the Indianapolis squad was crazy enough to dare to take on Tavon 1-on-1, how effective can Tavon be against a zone defense or a double coverage situation? I recall in 2016, Jared found Tavon behind a New Orleans DB for a score, with the type of throw previous Rams QBs have struggled with within the last decade. Jared lofted a pass with nice finesse touch over the NO DB who Tavon had beaten by several steps for a TD. Case Keenum would have placed too much air under the rock allowing the DB time to recover. I am not sure I want to even think what the other QBs on the Horns' decade-long signal caller carousel would have done. However, at least Tavon has a QB with the accuracy and touch to find his munchkin self among the DB "trees."

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
The loss of Sammy Watkins has the Rams re-thinking their offensive plan. I believe they planned to cut Austin and give the savings to Watkins if Sammy were available at a reasonable price.

IF Tavon can catch, he can threaten deep. In spite of his diminutive stature, he’s a willing and capable blocker as well.. No, he’s not going to be a fixture as the X receiver because he can’t beat press coverage. But if a defense goes primarily zone, he can be a weapon out there because he does stem his routes well on the 9 route when a corner is playing off coverage.. Still, we all expect the Rams to use Reynolds, Thomas, or someone yet to be acquired on the perimeter most of the time.

His presence now means the Rams won’t be targeting a third running back for the receiver role. His gadget plays will continue to be in McVay’s bag. I suppose the Rams believe Tavon’s ball security issues were tied to his wrist injury. I hope another year in the system has Tavon better understanding how McVay wants the routes run and improve his chemistry with Jared. He has the physical qualities to find success. The development necessary must occur between his ears.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
I respect the way Tavon has accepted his diminished role on the team, with the hope of improving. I don't know if it's a crisis of confidence, but last year we all watched a guy that you held your breath when the ball came his way on KR/PR's. It's my uninformed opinion as a fan, but how after all of these years, is he not an expert route runner? I gave up on him, honestly. Prove me wrong, Tavon..I want you to.
This. All of this. It totally baffles me how someone so quick and so fast can’t be a good route runner. He cuts on a dime. Nobody should be able to cover him one on one.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
It's my uninformed opinion as a fan, but how after all of these years, is he not an expert route runner?
Route running probably wasn't a need in HS and college, being the fastest player on the field was enough. The Jeff Fisher offensive system did nothing for him or any other player's development. Some coaches/systems don't put premiums on route running, Tavon isn't the only pro who isn't an expert route runner.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This. All of this. It totally baffles me how someone so quick and so fast can’t be a good route runner. He cuts on a dime. Nobody should be able to cover him one on one.
Me too.
In addition, with his history of receiving passes within a few yards of the line of scrimmage, you’d think the league is set up for a double move.

Bootleg

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm glad he's back on a "prove-it" deal. As everyone has said, I think the games where McVay used the jet sweep decoy really helped bust loose Gurley. And Austin is going to be hungry this year in a quest for incentives and a bigger deal the following year. Good for us.

That said, I think Austin made a mistake (for himself not us) coming back. He's never going to get the touches he needs to prove himself stuck behind Kupp in the slot and behind Gurley, the leagues's best running/receiving back. And Austin is stuck behind pro-bowler Cooper as the return man, so he can't redeem himself there, either.

I think from his point of view, he'd have been better off released and picked up by a team with more pressing needs at those positions. Again for him.... not for the Rams.

Just my armchair opinion. :thinking:

Last edited:

Psycho_X

Legend
Now that he is staying I'd be interested in seeing some kind of quasi-option plays off the jet sweep... well guess it'd be an end around but still. Have Gurley in backfield and TA in slot. Ball hike and Tavon starts the end around while Gurley runs the opposite flat. Goff reads defense and whichever they follow he either throws to Gurley or tosses to TA as he runs by.

Also, wanted a scat back for this but TA would do where we have more plays with two RBs in backfield with Gurley and TA and play them off each other in the passing game out of backfield. Also, wildcat formation with Gurley at QB and runs with TA and Gurley options to himself or TA?

Idk, random thoughts that probably sound better in my head than reality. Seems like they could get him more involved even if it doesn't involve complex route trees.

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yes, he was overdrafted. Yes, he was overpaid.

But if you don't think he has value or a place in this league, just go back and watch the game films. Every time he goes in motion, the whole defense moves, taking at least one to two players out of position.

A lot of Gurley's big runs come off of an Austin motion play. Look at our losses and see how how many times he is used that way.

Run him as a decoy and then give him the ball once every 4-5 times seemed to work and end up in positive yardage last year. When the offense was rolling, the defense would get myopic and forget about Austin, focusing on Gurley/play action game. That was always a good time to give him the ball.

He's never gonna be much more than what we saw last year, but it's enough to effect the opposing DCs.
Great post!
I agree that Tavon is an "X" factor. An overall small part, but still part of the mystery, which is, figuring out what the hell McVay is going to throw at you when they line up with Tavon on the field. Maybe they utilize him as a speedster to vertically stretch the field like Sammy did? I have a feeling McVay has thought about how to use Tavon, had a Eureka moment. We have Tavon and I'm with everyone here, show us your stuff big man!

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake

There's more to it than that tho. If he can't recognize if it's man or zone and how to do a proper release. Or where to sit in zone coverage. Guys don't get open from speed and cutting abilities, but by using their heads. Being a good WR is 50% athletic ability and 50% mental.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
There's more to it than that tho. If he can't recognize if it's man or zone and how to do a proper release. Or where to sit in zone coverage. Guys don't get open from speed and cutting abilities, but by using their heads. Being a good WR is 50% athletic ability and 50% mental.
I totally get that. But his slant routes on man coverage should work 99/100 times.