BWB: Jeff Fisher Defends Rams Pace

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

News Bot

01001000 01101001
Name
News Bot
On this episode of Breakfast With Bernie, the Post-Dispatch's Bernie Miklasz talks about why Rams coach Jeff Fisher needs to allow his quarterback Sam Bradford to run a more up-tempo offense.

[pd]2677416842001[/pd]
<a class="postlink" href="http://cinesport.stltoday.com/saint-louis-post-dispatch-breakfast-bernie/bwb-jeff-fisher-defends-rams-pace/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://cinesport.stltoday.com/saint-lou ... rams-pace/</a>

RamzFanz

Damnit
If Fisher doesn't run more hurry up and no huddle I have to think he's blowing it. It's like buying a thoroughbred racehorse and making it trot.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I think to watch Sam and the offense succeed in the up-tempo and ignore it - is foolish.

Nobody is suggesting run it all the time, Fisher! Look at Denver! Peyton jumps in and out of it and SETS THE TEMPO OF THE GAME!

In the first two games; the opposing team has set the tempo!

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
I'll give Fisher the benefit of the doubt here. He's been a NFL coach longer than me, so there's got to be something he sees in the team that doesn't make him trust they could handle the up tempo style.

As somebody in another thread said, the up tempo style puts a lot of pressure on our defenses to make stops, I don't know about you guys, but with our secondary limping off the gates I wouldn't put the pressure of a potential shoot out on them just yet.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I can understand some of Fisher's concerns, but I have hard time seeing why they couldn't do it in spurts. For example, immediately after a 1st down go hurry up and run the next play. If successful do it again. If not huddle up.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
HometownBoy said:
I'll give Fisher the benefit of the doubt here. He's been a NFL coach longer than me, so there's got to be something he sees in the team that doesn't make him trust they could handle the up tempo style.

As somebody in another thread said, the up tempo style puts a lot of pressure on our defenses to make stops, I don't know about you guys, but with our secondary limping off the gates I wouldn't put the pressure of a potential shoot out on them just yet.
So far I've seen front page threads picking-on Tavon Austin, Roger Saffold, and now Jeff Fisher and the coordinators. We've got a great team, great coaching staff and great owner. It's time for a serious gut check and inventory of what we have and where we just came from.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Unless the D is playing lights out it gets risky going no huddle to often. Huddleless a 3 & out of 2 passes and the standard 2nd down run up the gut the defense could be back on the field in a min. and half or less.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Stranger said:
We've got a great team, great coaching staff and great owner. It's time for a serious gut check and inventory of what we have and where we just came from.

Good reality check, Stranger.

Put me in the court that wants more, though.

I'm not down and out. I'm not a sky-is-falling kind of guy. The NFL is a game that week in and week out changes quickly. It's a game of match-ups. Bomb a week. Blow out a team the next.

What I want to see from our fanbase is a little more toughness. The minute the opposing team scores... or if we're down by 10... that's not the end of the world!

This is the NFL.

At the same time; a critique after a loss is natural.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Yamahopper said:
Unless the D is playing lights out it gets risky going no huddle to often. Huddleless a 3 & out of 2 passes and the standard 2nd down run up the gut the defense could be back on the field in a min. and half or less.

Not to fuel the fire but WHY? Can someone explain to me why an offense has to huddle in order to use the entire play clock?

F. Mulder

Starter
RamFan503 said:
Yamahopper said:

Not to fuel the fire but WHY? Can someone explain to me why an offense has to huddle in order to use the entire play clock?

Exactly! I think people see no Huddle as "hurry-up." At least in spots allow Bradford to call plays at the LOS. One play in the Atl game when the Rams were moving late in the game, you could see an Atl defender rushing to get to the sideline for a substitution. These are the gimmee plays I love if Bradford and Co can get the snap off it's an automatic 5 yards (plus I don't think the sub is allowed---not sure on that) but the point is you can run no huddle without looking like a fire-drill AND you can get cheap yards by getting too many men on the D.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I wonder why this football genius doesn't just ask Fisher why he isn't willing to join the 21st century of football himself... at the next press conference.

How many times does this washed-up piece of shit need to refer to Sam as a "$50 million QB"? Somebody needs to let doughboy know that ,,, in the 21st century,,, a "$50 million QB" is a fucking bargain.

JIMERAMS

Pro Bowler
Name
Bill
Selassie I said:
I wonder why this football genius doesn't just ask Fisher why he isn't willing to join the 21st century of football himself... at the next press conference.

How many times does this washed-up piece of shyte need to refer to Sam as a "$50 million QB"? Somebody needs to let doughboy know that ,,, in the 21st century,,, a "$50 million QB" is a freaking bargain.

:rofl: :rofl: this x2 he talks a big game but never asks any questions that matter.

I like Fisher but if the offense is on and off the field when they run conventional offense then how are they saving the defense? I don't think they should run hurry up but no huddle for sure.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
CardsandRams said:
I like Fisher but if the offense is on and off the field when they run conventional offense then how are they saving the defense? I don't think they should run hurry up but no huddle for sure.
I think the writing is on the wall. There are hints being dropped about employing a little no huddle, and maybe some more shotgun. I think in order for Schottenheimer to be viewed as a successful OC, he's going to have to become adaptive and more attune to what works for Bradford -- the guy who drives the offense.

We'll see if he's up for the challenge.

And welcome to ROD, C&R!

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
X said:
CardsandRams said:
I think the writing is on the wall. There are hints being dropped about employing a little no huddle, and maybe some more shotgun. I think in order for Schottenheimer to be viewed as a successful OC, he's going to have to become adaptive and more attune to what works for Bradford -- the guy who drives the offense.

And welcome to ROD, C&R!

I think he is, I mean just a few years ago this guy was referred to as one of the better OCs in the land. He can't possible have just have lost it.

I do believe Schottenheimer benefited from Ryan's overbearing personality though. Seems conservative is his nature and it wouldn't be the first time a coach stepped in and was like hey man, I know you're good but maybe you should try this and this and that.

I think Fisher will be letting him loose soon too. Just gotta let the offense grow up a little more.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
HometownBoy said:
X said:
CardsandRams said:

And welcome to ROD, C&R!

I think he is, I mean just a few years ago this guy was referred to as one of the better OCs in the land. He can't possible have just have lost it.

I do believe Schottenheimer benefited from Ryan's overbearing personality though. Seems conservative is his nature and it wouldn't be the first time a coach stepped in and was like hey man, I know you're good but maybe you should try this and this and that.

I think Fisher will be letting him loose soon too. [hilite]Just gotta let the offense grow up a little more[/hilite].
Yeah, that's the key right there. None of us have any idea what they're working on in practice and/or how much of it is actually being executed correctly. That's a rather large playbook they're working with, and the average experience the skill position players have in THIS offensive system is 1.4 years.

One. Point. Four. Years.

RamzFanz

Damnit
HometownBoy said:

That's using one bad decision to fix another bad decision. Stop running a slow O and stop playing soft in pass coverage. Problems solved! :bg:

RamzFanz

Damnit
Stranger said:
So far I've seen front page threads picking-on Tavon Austin, Roger Saffold, and now Jeff Fisher and the coordinators. We've got a great team, great coaching staff and great owner. It's time for a serious gut check and inventory of what we have and where we just came from.

I agree with your points in general but THIS is the time to fix things before the losses add up.

I watched a squandered opportunity last game. That was the RAMS game to lose with poor decisions and that's exactly what they did. You CAN'T fail to cover Jones or play that passing game soft or play boring uninspired offense and expect to win.

I'd rather they go for it and lose then plan on being mediocre.

Let's hope they don't keep doing that or there will be rebellion amongst the long time loyal fans. They have what they need to succeed.

TexasRam

Legend
It's the curse of Marty Ball. At the Helm is Marty Jr.

We will get you to the playoffs.
We will always be in the game and play harnosed.
We will be long Tenured and always be a great option for those miserable Franchises who want to get a playoff game.
We will always run the ball and burn the clock even if we average 2YPC. It gives us a chance to win at the end of the game.
We will not throw too much because interceptions are bad.

But we have no balls to take the needed risks to be extra special and actually win the big one.

We will not think outside of our little box of how we play "solid" Football.

We are Martyball.

Dominate on 3......1, 2, 3......!!!