Buzz builds for Taylor Lewan to Oakland at No. 5

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Buzz builds for Taylor Lewan to Oakland at No. 5
Posted by Michael David Smith on April 23, 2014

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznptc5mwjlogrhyzyzowvjmjcwnzrimmezmwnimdbhmtgw1.jpeg

Former Michigan offensive tackle Taylor Lewan is looking like a candidate to be the Raiders’ first-round draft pick.

Oakland owns the fifth overall pick, and Jerry McDonald of the Oakland Tribune reports that the Raiders like Lewan better than either of the other top offensive tackles in this year’s draft, Greg Robinson of Auburn or Jake Matthews of Texas A&M.

That’s surprising, as most draft analysts view Robinson and Matthews as superior prospects to Lewan. It’s also surprising that we’re even talking about the Raiders using their first-round pick on an offensive tackle, seeing as they’ve already signed left tackle Donald Penn to a two-year, $9.6 million contract and signed right tackle Austin Howard to a five-year, $30 million contract.

But the Raiders are often unconventional, so if their draft board looks different than most teams’ draft boards, that’s par for the course.

Most mock drafts haven’t had Lewan in the Top 5, but ESPN’s Mel Kiper suggested today that the Rams could take Lewan with the second overall pick. So it’s possible that Lewan won’t even be there for the Raiders at No. 5. But if he is, don’t be surprised if the Raiders take him.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Like I said before...don't want him, but he will be picked inside the top 10.

Ramrocket

Hating 49ers and Seahawks from afar
Name
Rod
Reeks of smokescreen to me. I bet they look at Watkins or a QB. And did I read that Kiper has Lewan as a possibility to us at 2? Wow!!!

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I don't like Lewan, either.

I'd rather draft Martin, or the next tier of guards.

A55VA6

Legend
LOL #5? I wouldn't even take him at #20, or #25, or wherever. Maybe in the 2nd round.. because I don't like him.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
I call BS, they will take watkins in a heartbeat if he's there. Outside of the Lewan should be the first pic taken in the 2014 draft. :popcorn:

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
I hope the Raiders do. That means someone might fall in the draft, and maybe the Rams trade up from #13 to grab them

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Far too much time until the draft 14 more days of stories like these, however, he is the type of player I could see the Raiders drafting and I like Lewan more than most, but Jake Matthews is my scarecrow because I like him the best of them all!

BadCompany

Rookie
So…

Houston takes Bortles/Manziel/Bridgewater, because… well, because I want them too.

Carefully positioning their "Watkins" jersey with its back to the Cleveland table Snisher fakes the Browns into thinking we're taking the WR. That they want. Everyone says the Rams want a WR, right? It's plausible! Cleveland gives us their 4th and 26th overall, to move up two spots. Cleveland takes Watkins.

Jacksonsville takes Mack, because again, I want them too.

Carefully positioning their "Lewan" jersey with it's back to the Oakland table Snisher fakes the Raiders into thinking we're taking the OT. (Kiper said! Kiper said!) That they want. Everyone says the Rams want an OT, right? And isn't Jake Long Lewan's mentor? It's plausible! Oakland gives us their 5th overall and 36th, to move up one spot and takes Lewan.

Hey, at 5th overall Clowney is still on the board! No-brainer for the Rams, right? (this kind of works with Mack still on the board too, but leave me alone, this is my fantasy). Well doesn't Atlanta really covet Clowney? Hello 37th overall!

We now have the 6th overall, take Matthews who I…er, the Rams… wanted all along, and now have the 13th, 26th, 36th, 37th and 44th!

:p

Last edited:

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Now I'm starting to wonder if somehow the Football Gods are going to do the impossible and get the Rams either Matthews/Clowney 2nd and Watkins next? Could lightning strike 2 years in a row with the Rams being the talk of the 2014 draft?