“But Can He Make Music?” Thoughts on Rookie Quarterbacks

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Matt Waldman
https://mattwaldmanrsp.com/2016/09/08/but-can-he-make-music-thoughts-on-rookie-quarterbacks/

I was wrong to think that Jared Goff was the most pro ready of the 2016 rookie quarterback class. I underestimated the difficulty of the transition from Cal’s Air Raid offense to the Rams’ West Coast system. But I don’t think this is a big deal if you’re focused on the true North of the compass for what matters most for a young quarterback:

Long-term development.

Most people aren’t oriented this way. What we see written and discussed in major media reinforces the fallacy that rookie quarterbacks need to perform well immediately. When a lesser-regarded prospect outperforms a player of higher regard, there’s often a one-to-one comparison of the two and there shouldn’t be.

Quarterbacks are a lot like musicians and it’s problematic to judge two rookie quarterbacks during the rehearsal process. They’re learning how to interact with their band and the performance environment and each band and environment has enough differences that most boom-bust conclusions are short-sighted.

Jared Goff is learning an entirely new system. Will Hewlett–a quarterback coach and consultant to high school, college and professional passers–says the transition from the Air Raid system at Cal to a West Coast system with the Rams is like learning Chinese.

If you’ve ever taken language lessons as an adult, it becomes apparent almost immediately that the process sublimate the winning traits of your personality. Learning Chinese? Forget having a quick wit or great sense of humor for months.

Are you known for your sensitivity? You’ll be so busy focusing on what people are saying that you only catch a glimpse of how they’re saying it. Facial expressions and tone of voice are like third and fourth reads for a quarterback at your opponent’s 45 on 3rd and 12 with 1:34 left on the clock, down by 3, and dealing with the potential for A-gap pressure and missing that DE dropping into the flat.

You’re still sensitive, witty, and intelligent. You still have those skills and others but they won’t show up nearly as often when first learning that new language. Goff’s stats show that he’s not handling pressure well and he’s make critical errors but to conclude that he’s lost these skills or analysts were wrong for ever seeing them, glosses over the realities of learning a complex system.

And the West Coast system is the most difficult offense to learn. It’s the most common one in the league because coaches have witnessed how unstoppable it can be when at its best. However, there are few quarterbacks who can run it at that level.

It’s like staring in one band as a tenor saxophonist and then being asked to perform a ballad like the one shown above on the soprano. There are multiple, subtle demands to evoking deep emotions from the audience and the main performer’s flaws are at much greater risk of exposure to the crowd.

Jared Goff’s learning curve is far different but he’s judged along the same standard. RamsWire writer Jeff Smith has done a good job of telling Rams fans to freak out that Goff is the No.3 quarterback after the preseason. Smith is correct that the Rams invested a lot of capital in Goff, analysts (like me) thought Goff was the most pro-ready quarterback in the class, and Goff’s statistics haven’t been good.

But the stats only show that Goff’s results are bad and they way they are presented, there’s a presumption that Goff should display the same qualities that made him productive at Cal. This is a bad presumption.

The Cowboys have asked Prescott to play his best ax as a part of a strong group of players and perform songs with strict time boundaries, comfortable tempos, and tightly rehearsed forms. The Rams want Goff to learn a similar but slightly different and temperamental instrument and perform songs that have a lot more variables.

Goff is doing a lot more thinking than performing and it’s why he’s the No.3 option. If the Rams ownership has a clue, Goff’s temporary tenure as the final backup on the depth chart is more annoying when answering media questions than it is in the locker room.

Jeff Fisher gets his share of media criticism as an overrated coach but he believed in bringing quarterbacks along slowly. He wanted Vince Young to rely more on his brains than his body but Young didn’t become a student of the game. After a great rookie year with the team working around Young’s talents, opposing defenses generated more demands for Young to succeed and he didn’t study enough to meet them.

Steve McNair was a student of the game and he evolved into one of the more underrated pocket passers of his time. McNair didn’t start immediately and there were concerns early on that McNair wasn’t worth the No.3 overall pick in the draft. Fisher and the Titans were patient and it paid off.

Brett Hundley was the No.3 quarterback last year. He’s now considered a promising backup with starter potential. The notable difference in perception between Hundley and Goff is that Goff was the No.1 overall pick and Hundley dropped to the middle rounds in 2015.

Those in the know understand that Hundley was considered an early round talent entering his junior year. If he stayed at UCLA last year, he might have earned a high-round selection.

The public pressure on Goff and the Rams has greater intensity due to the number of picks the team traded to invest in the rookie. But if the Rams ownership and executive team is thinking clearly, they’ll look at Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady’s career arcs.

Neither players was remotely a No.1 overall pick in the draft. Brady began his career as the No.3. Most teams would have spent more on these two players in their prime than what the Rams spent on Goff.

So when readers ask me, “What do you think about Jared Goff and Dak Prescott now?” it’s all about my frame of perspective. For fantasy football, Goff is a player that I’ll monitor. He’s a potential waiver-wire player in re-draft leagues later in the year.

Prescott is at least a temporary starter with actual value in daily fantasy formats. He’s also capable of strong opening month in season-long formats.

In dynasty leagues, I’m still drafting Goff over Prescott and there’s no hesitation. If anything, I’m getting better value on Goff. The bump in Prescott’s value makes him a little less attractive although the opportunity to solidify his future as a starter is a lot more compelling in the immediate present.

Beyond the immediate fantasy implications of late summer and early fall, I stand by the process that led me to the results that I publish every April.

If the Rams give Goff the time the Packers and Patriots gave to their starters–or even Washington inadvertently gave to Kirk Cousins while rushing the process with Robert Griffin III–Goff has the talent to thrive. His pocket presence, accuracy, and feel for the game hasn’t left. The new system is forcing him to think rather than play.

If the Cowboys continue to surround Prescott with a strong band and can spotlight the rookie’s confidence and athletic ability, he’ll succeed this year. If they gradually feed him more options and responsibilities so he can grow into a well-rounded leader of an offense, he develop into a complete player.

Quarterbacking is like making music. Thanks to our digital age, most young quarterbacks have more access to technical coaching, nutrition and training programs, and football theory than their predecessors.

Look at their technique, athletic ability, and understanding of specific offensive ideas in a vacuum and they appear more pro-ready than in the past. But just like musicians who developed the optimal physical techniques to produce a good sound, memorized hot licks, and gained extensive knowledge of harmony, none of it matters if they can’t make it all sound musical.

SierraRam

Recreational User
Quarterbacking is like making music.

4 rings, 6 shitty albums. I call 'Bull Shit'
images

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
Great article. I am not aware of all the nuances of learning the West Coast, but it is nice to see that adults write articles too.

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah Fishers offense is so complex . Try again

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yeah Fishers offense is so complex . Try again
And you know it's not, how? It was widely reported that the system Schottenheimer left in place was voluminous. It hasn't changed all that much through Cignetti and now Boras except for minor tweaks in scale and terminology. And the larger point of the article was the *transition* from Air Raid to WCO for young QBs, and not so much to provide a quantitative measure of the complexity of Jeff Fisher's offenses in general.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
Aaron Rodgers not an overall first pick? I laughed when the 9ers took Smith. If you ever watched a Cal game you saw the intangibles he had. High football IQ, a gun, great footwork, good mobility.

The article lost it's meaning. Maybe if they said, watching behind a veteran qb greatly helped them learn the offense.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Aaron Rodgers not an overall first pick? I laughed when the 9ers took Smith. If you ever watched a Cal game you saw the intangibles he had. High football IQ, a gun, great footwork, good mobility.

The article lost it's meaning. Maybe if they said, watching behind a veteran qb greatly helped them learn the offense.

Aaron Rodgers wasn't a #1 overall pick. I'm not sure what you're railing against here.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
Aaron Rodgers wasn't a #1 overall pick. I'm not sure what you're railing against here.
Uh yeah, he should have been. Much higher ceiling than Smith out of college.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug

Sorry Faulk - shoulda woulda coulda -
Statement's meaningless. All hindsight.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
And btw, not exactly stellar his first year.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

He wasn't discussing where a guy should be drafted. He was discussing where they were drafted.

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And you know it's not, how? It was widely reported that the system Schottenheimer left in place was voluminous. It hasn't changed all that much through Cignetti and now Boras except for minor tweaks in scale and terminology. And the larger point of the article was the *transition* from Air Raid to WCO for young QBs, and not so much to provide a quantitative measure of the complexity of Jeff Fisher's offenses in general.
I go by what I see and some games it looks like the same 6 or 7 different plays the whole game . It's just hard to believe the kid can't learn it but after 16 years of education and you don't know where the sun rises and sets maybe it's pretty complicated. Just kidding but I had to say it . GO Rams

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
The author was not wrong when he thought that Goff was the best QB in the draft. Goff is the best QB in the draft --- Its just he let the Fisher regime convince him that he's somehow now wrong because of their desire to sit him for 2016 and not prepare him properly to play. Its hilarious how Fisher's conceit is altering how people look at Goff as a prospect - its amazing and ludacris

So then the author goes sideways with a horrible analogy about QB's and musicians when it comes to long-term development....

While this idea of QB's being musician like is a novel one, let me remind the author that playing QB in the NFL is not the same as participating as the triangle guy at some Mars Hill NC wicka drum circle where you let you soul go and it magically finds its harmony -- nor is it free flowing improvisational jazz cause anybody attempting to make a football to music comparison would be wise enough to know that even with Jazz its all a game plan from the jump - and that musical gameplan is called charts.

See charts are where musical notes are written and chords etc are articulated for all to play - or intentionally improvise around. But nobody is just grabbing an instrument and playing what they "feel." This notion that a professional musician needs time to get acclimated to other musicians (of players) is for lack of a better term "not true." A professional musician can be dropped into any combo or band and play right along -- and thats because they have not only been trained to do so, but also because they have charts. All they need to do is play what the conductor wants - there is no needed time to noodle around. And
just like in football, Goff wont be asked to orchestrate everything on his own and just run out and sling it, there is a chart and gameplan just like music.

So the idea if Goff as a musician doesn't work if you're arguing that this FO is making a wise move in sitting a player who can already play. If we are using this Goff comparison that he's a musician than he should play now, cause all the music is already written. Just like the Doug Peterson orchestra led by their rookie musician Wentz.

So who is writing these musical charts / gameplans for our team / band ?

Well it's Jeff Fisher. I will dare say that the Jeff Fisher offense is not Thelonious Monk where you need years, nor is his offense a prog masterclass like Emerson Lake and Palmer, nor is it even Iron Maiden where your fingers would bleed and its all about endurance - i am going to say without a doubt that Fisher's offense is closer to Dexy's Midnight Runners than any if the bands or orchestras listed above. And we all know Goff can play a 4, 5 change in that band.

So just to recap - there is no need to sit musicians if they know how to play music. Thats what msuicians do, they play. And its what Goff should be doing now instead of "learning" from the sidelines.

But anyway thanks for posting this article or what i call a cute waste of space

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
So then the author goes sideways with a horrible analogy about QB's and musicians when it comes to long-term development....

While this idea of QB's being musician like is a novel one, let me remind the author that playing QB in the NFL is not the same as participating as the triangle guy at some Mars Hill NC wicka drum circle where you let you soul go and it magically finds its harmony -- nor is it free flowing improvisational jazz cause anybody attempting to make a football to music comparison would be wise enough to know that even with Jazz its all a game plan from the jump - and that musical gameplan is called charts.
I only provided a snipped of the whole article. If you click the link you can see that he goes into depth about the music analogy.

fearsomefour

Legend
Sticking with the music analogy, the author is saying, rightfully so, that there is more to it than learning songs, it's about being able to improvise within a concept.
Learning the verbiage of the offense is what everyone focuses on and that is a big part of it. But knowing the concept o the O and the O within a specific game plan and then having the ability to adjust on the fly....that is "knowing" the offense. As someone who has played music for a living I have known plenty of people who could shred practicing on their own but had a hard time playing a song well....they never got the concept.
Keenums TD to Austin fromast week is a fair example. A play is called and everyone lines up, QB checks it out, looks good....that's knowing the play....defense shifts and the QB recognizes a mismatch...,that is knowing the concept of the O vs this opponent, knowing what to look for....then with 8 seconds on the play clock being able to audible to change the play to take advantage of the mismatch, get the proper verbiage out at the line under pressure in a matter of seconds with clarity and without error....all of that together is knowing the offense.
The last part of it is the physical part....making the throw.
Any of these guys could, after a short time, spit out a play and run a play. Knowing an offense is about knowing the concept and being able to adapt and audible with second nature accume.

fearsomefour

Legend
The author was not wrong when he thought that Goff was the best QB in the draft. Goff is the best QB in the draft --- Its just he let the Fisher regime convince him that he's somehow now wrong because of their desire to sit him for 2016 and not prepare him properly to play. Its hilarious how Fisher's conceit is altering how people look at Goff as a prospect - its amazing and ludacris

See charts are where musical notes are written and chords etc are articulated for all to play - or intentionally improvise around. But nobody is just grabbing an instrument and playing what they "feel." This notion that a professional musician needs time to get acclimated to other musicians (of players) is for lack of a better term "not true." A professional musician can be dropped into any combo or band and play right along -- and thats because they have not only been trained to do so, but also because they have charts. All they need to do is play what the conductor wants - there is no needed time to noodle around. And
just like in football, Goff wont be asked to orchestrate everything on his own and just run out and sling it, there is a chart and gameplan just like music.

So the idea if Goff as a musician doesn't work if you're arguing that this FO is making a wise move in sitting a player who can already play. If we are using this Goff comparison that he's a musician than he should play now, cause all the music is already written. Just like the Doug Peterson orchestra led by their rookie musician Wentz.

So who is writing these musical charts / gameplans for our team / band ?

Well it's Jeff Fisher. I will dare say that the Jeff Fisher offense is not Thelonious Monk where you need years, nor is his offense a prog masterclass like Emerson Lake and Palmer, nor is it even Iron Maiden where your fingers would bleed and its all about endurance - i am going to say without a doubt that Fisher's offense is closer to Dexy's Midnight Runners than any if the bands or orchestras listed above. And we all know Goff can play a 4, 5 change in that band.

So just to recap - there is no need to sit musicians if they know how to play music. Thats what msuicians do, they play. And its what Goff should be doing now instead of "learning" from the sidelines.

But anyway thanks for posting this article or what i call a cute waste of space
When I train baseball pitchers I use the musician analogy all the time. Different sport, different requirements ect. So not an apple to apple comparison.
Reading charts is not improvising. A guy can be a great reader and play in tune and work all the time while not being a remarkable player in any way.
This is more akin to Keenum.
While not perfect I get the analogy the writer is making.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I was wrong to think that Jared Goff was the most pro ready of the 2016 rookie quarterback class.
It's time some ROD members (@jrry32 bow down and kiss some boots in here and admit this too...LOL

Seriously, no way to tell..Why...they fast-tracked Wentz...Not sure if getting Goff ready was a priority..In fact, playing him with Williams at LT shows me there was NO urgency to get him ready..

Will Hewlett–a quarterback coach and consultant to high school, college and professional passers–says the transition from the Air Raid system at Cal to a West Coast system with the Rams is like learning Chinese.
Reminds me when Tavon said the offense was like Spanish...and I always use Latin...Spanish was pretty easy to learn...So...Quick was learning Latin...

Brett Hundley was the No.3 quarterback last year. He’s now considered a promising backup with starter potential. The notable difference in perception between Hundley and Goff is that Goff was the No.1 overall pick and Hundley dropped to the middle rounds in 2015.

Those in the know understand that Hundley was considered an early round talent entering his junior year.
Never understood how we took Mannion over Hundley...I've watched that kid (who sat as a Freshman btw) for 3 years...win on a very average team...very nice arm...natural leader/winner...I figured he was worth a 2nd round pick...dude was incredible.

Great article. I am not aware of all the nuances of learning the West Coast, but it is nice to see that adults write articles too.
Matt Waldman has a great little series...Podcasts and articles alike...very informative...he's pretty good at identifying small school talent too...or guys I really look over...the one's with average measureables...check him out at the end of the year...he'll have some gems at wr for sure...He was the guy that identified Mike Thomas....and I'm thrilled he's on this team.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
When I train baseball pitchers I use the musician analogy all the time. Different sport, different requirements ect. So not an apple to apple comparison.
Reading charts is not improvising. A guy can be a great reader and play in tune and work all the time while not being a remarkable player in any way.
This is more akin to Keenum.
While not perfect I get the analogy the writer is making.

Cool to know you used to play music Fearsome -
I played Jazz bass from 9th grade until i was 24 until i realized it was all just a historical reinactment for dudes (there is not a lot of hot chicks that really like jazz :LOL:)

My comment was based on professional musicians - not the concept of bedroom guitar shredders /// but even then it isn't known to anyone that the bedroom shredder can or cant play in a combo or band unless he or she actually plays.

And improvising is based off the charts - you play within the guidelines. As you know when you improvise you don't go changing keys or start playing strange phrases, you do your best to stay in the pocket and play off what's written and hopefully your talent and creativity shine through

The musical nuances the author is talking about is all learned from playing - not sitting - so again while its a nice effort, I dont see how any of the authors music examples helps support the idea that Goff sitting helps his long term development over playing

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
...Not sure if getting Goff ready was a priority..In fact, playing him with Williams at LT shows me there was NO urgency to get him ready..

The way snaps in preseason games were assigned it's obvious that Goff wasn't a priority of Fishers.

fearsomefour

Legend
Cool to know you used to play music Fearsome -
I played Jazz bass from 9th grade until i was 24 until i realized it was all just a historical reinactment for dudes (there is not a lot of hot chicks that really like jazz :LOL:)

My comment was based on professional musicians - not the concept of bedroom guitar shredders /// but even then it isn't known to anyone that the bedroom shredder can or cant play in a combo or band unless he or she actually plays.

And improvising is based off the charts - you play within the guidelines. As you know when you improvise you don't go changing keys or start playing strange phrases, you do your best to stay in the pocket and play off what's written and hopefully your talent and creativity shine through

The musical nuances the author is talking about is all learned from playing - not sitting - so again while its a nice effort, I dont see how any of the authors music examples helps support the idea that Goff sitting helps his long term development over playing
But people learning to play do need to learn. They need to practice. A lot.
The analogy is use with the baseball guys (baseball is basically played year round now) is what they are doing is ONLY playing gigs. There is no time to develop actual skill outside of games. That is an important part of the process. It would be like a person buying a guitar taking two lessons and trying to go play in front of a crowd at a club. Ugly.
Football is a different game. I get why he isent ready however.
The charts=the play call. It makes sense. Being able to improve of of that....different thing.
Speaking of the old jazzers my father who first went on the road at 14 years old, is gonna play his last gig this Thangsgiving at 85 years old.....a good run I'd say.