Busy Rams still have major to-do lists this offseason

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
  • By Gregg Rosenthal
  • April 11, 2018 at 01:26 p.m
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...ms-still-have-major-todo-lists-this-offseason

No general manager had a busier, bolder spring than Rams general manager Les Snead. No decision maker has more work left to do in the coming months.

The Rams' trade tsunami resulted in a wave of incoming talent, diminishing salary cap space and only one long-term contract handed out, to little-known cornerback Nickell Robey-Coleman. The casual confidence Snead has in his coaching staff to assimilate all the team's new players is matched by his belief that he can make all the contractual puzzle pieces fit. "We have plenty of space over the next two years to lock up these guys long-term and have this core together, and that's the goal," Snead said at one of the Rams' seemingly daily press conferences earlier this month.

Rams' to-do list
1) Sign Aaron Donald: All signs indicated that Donald welcomed the addition of Ndamukong Suh to the Rams' formidable defensive line. That congenial attitude figures to disappear if Donald is forced to play for half as much money as Suh this season as currently scheduled. Donald, the reigning Defensive Player of the Year, is more likely to be playing on a contract closer to the groundbreaking pact Suh signed in Miami back in 2015. Snead has said repeatedly he has "budgeted" an extension for Donald and said this week Donald should become the highest-paid defender in football. That's been easier said than finalized for a year now. It will be a complicated contract that will presumably push a lot of salary cap pain into the future because the Rams have virtually no space at the moment.

2) Re-sign Brandin Cooks or LaMarcus Joyner to an extension: The Rams have three standouts from the 2014 draft class in Donald, Cooks and Joyner. Donald and Cooks are set to play this season on the fifth-year options of their rookie deals, while Joyner was retained with the franchise tag for more money -- $11.29 million. The Rams would love to free up the use of the 2019 tag by signing at least two of the three players.Cooks is the better bet to get a contract quickly, with NFL Network's Steve Wyche reporting that the Rams intend to sign him long-term before the season. The Rams have until July 16 to sign Joyner to a long-term contract. A contract for either player would likely be backloaded to lower the cap hit for 2018 and push money into the future. That could become a trend for the team as it builds toward moving into its expensive new stadium in 2020.

3) Budget for Todd Gurley and Marcus Peters contracts: There is a general misconception that the Rams are in "win-now" mode after all the recent transactions. To borrow the words of rival Pete Carroll, Snead is trying to orchestrate more of a "win forever" mindset. This is a relatively young team and the Rams' core players aren't even in their second contracts yet. After the 2014 NFL Draft class mentioned above, the Rams also have 2015 picks Gurley, Peters and two key offensive line starters Rob Havenstein and Jamon Brown. This is a roster built to last, but Snead will have to prioritize some contracts over others. Donald, Gurley and quarterback Jared Goff are the building blocks. Peters is under contract for the next two years for a total of just over $10 million. Considering his rollercoaster career so far, the Rams may let Peters play out his fifth-year option in 2019 and see where they stand after that. They just need to get Peters on board with that plan.

4) Evaluate if Aqib Talib and Suh are short-timers: Not every young Rams player is destined to get a long-term contract, and not every veteran acquisition figures to be around for long. Talib and Suh both are free agents after this season. It's hard to imagine Suh getting the guaranteed guap he'd like on a long-term deal in Los Angeles after the Rams presumably pay Donald. Talib, already 32, looks like an excellent one-year rental. These moves don't mean the organization is selling out to win now. They are just taking every avenue toward improving their roster, following in the footsteps of the last two Super Bowl champions who relied plenty on short veteran contracts.

5) Construct McVay-Goff 2.0: The Rams' fire show on the transaction wire shouldn't overshadow all the work that coach Sean McVay has to do on the field. He did an incredible job building an offense around Jared Goff last season, but building on a breakout year at quarterback is no easy task. (Just ask Derek Carr, Dak Prescott and Andy Dalton.) NFL defenses should be better prepared to attack Goff's weaknesses, including throwing on the move, after a year of gathering film. McVay has earned the benefit of the doubt that he'll keep the Rams one step ahead, especially after upgrading from Sammy Watkins to Cooks at receiver.

6) Somehow find tackle depth and edge rushing talent: Andrew Whitworth turns 37 years old this season, yet is one of the most irreplaceable members on the Rams' roster. Tackle depth is hard to find on nearly any team, but the Rams don't have any legitimate options behind Whitworth and right tackle Havenstein. While Snead has traded away his top two picks in this draft, he still has a third-round pick, three fourth-rounders and four sixth-round lottery tickets. The fourth round is where the Rams found outside linebacker Samson Ebukam last year, who is slated to play a huge role as an edge rusher this season. He's practically the only one on the roster. For all the Rams' defensive talent, that also remains a big area of need.

7) Make this buzz count: Two years into their Los Angeles adventure, the Rams are ahead of schedule. This season represents an incredible opportunity to bring new fans along for the ride with the move to the new stadium looming. If this Rams team doesn't inspire devotion and subsequent ticket sales, then no team will. All they have to do is win.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
The casual confidence Snead has in his coaching staff to assimilate all the team's new players is matched by his belief that he can make all the contractual puzzle pieces fit. "We have plenty of space over the next two years to lock up these guys long-term and have this core together, and that's the goal," Snead said
Easier said than done....or rather, haven't we heard this somewhere before:dizzy:o_O???
5) Construct McVay-Goff 2.0: The Rams' fire show on the transaction wire shouldn't overshadow all the work that coach Sean McVay has to do on the field. He did an incredible job building an offense around Jared Goff last season, but building on a breakout year at quarterback is no easy task. (Just ask Derek Carr, Dak Prescott and Andy Dalton.) NFL defenses should be better prepared to attack Goff's weaknesses, including throwing on the move, after a year of gathering film.
Glad someone else said it Boni....

Key is your last underlined point...to assume that the line is gonna stay perfectly healthy for the entire year is....is...wishful thinking....

PS....won't go into that comment about who to retain re: Cooks, Donald, and....Joyner. LOL:rolllaugh:That's yo boy Boni....thought he'd play for free?:shocking:

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
5) Construct McVay-Goff 2.0: The Rams' fire show on the transaction wire shouldn't overshadow all the work that coach Sean McVay has to do on the field. He did an incredible job building an offense around Jared Goff last season, but building on a breakout year at quarterback is no easy task. (Just ask Derek Carr, Dak Prescott and Andy Dalton.) NFL defenses should be better prepared to attack Goff's weaknesses, including throwing on the move, after a year of gathering film. McVay has earned the benefit of the doubt that he'll keep the Rams one step ahead, especially after upgrading from Sammy Watkins to Cooks at receiver.

Yep!!

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake

Agreed teams will learn his weaknesses and his tendencies with a whole offseason to study film. Especially our West coast foes. However, if you look at Washingtons offense with McVay calling the plays they got better every year with him there. I expect the same out of the offensive unit next year. We always have to be evolving and i think McVay understands this and thrives at it. Time will tell but if his past is any indication of what the future will hold, it's something that doesn't concern me much. I just hope guys like Everette and Higbee continue to grow and develop.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
A lot of those questions are based on 2019 and the future.

For 2018, draft o line depth, not just LT
2 edge rushers
2 MLB
CB depth

Malibu

Pro Bowler
Keys to this year besides keeping everyone healthy because you can't plan for that is finding a Rush LB and OLine help at a minimum. I have contended that our OLine did great last year, but it a huge issue moving forward. Teams do not play with their Oline intact all year. Not to mention Whit's and Sully's age which everyone brings up and Saffolds injury proneness. Last year was an anomaly.

Bonuses for this year better TE play and a Backup running back except I like Davis way more than most.

Next year I hate the fact that we may need to address Aqib and Suh if we do not resign them. Odds are on this team their value will be very strong in FA because the Rams are extremely talented overall which always seems to help individual players not that either really need help their play speaks for itself. My point is their stats maybe slightly elevated due to the talent level of the Rams overall.

We must address starting LT whether in a trade or with the first pick in the draft next year unless we hit on a gem in this year's draft. I am not sure any are good enough except maybe Orlando Brown and he will never make it to the third round my guess. He has some questionmarks.

When you bundle all the things left on Snead and McVay's to do list most are relatively easy to determine. It will come down to the play on the field during the year of each of the players. Their play will dictate Snead/McVay's course of action. The best part of this year is they both have had a full year working together and are on the same page so the tasks at hand are pretty straight forward.

Most teams to do list centers mainly about finding great players to fill alot of holes. The Rams do not have hardly one glaring hole unlike other teams with 5+ and alot of the players that the teams are comfortable with at positions they do not need to fill are not remotely as good as the Rams players. What we as Rams fans need to realize we are in a phenomenal position overall in comparison to 90% of other teams we are worrying about being able to retain great players that is a hell of an enviable position to be in than constantly searching for talent.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
" #6!" Is the Biggest one!;)

Oh, yeah, that's for sure. I think they have a good handle on the contract situation so my main concerns are these two items.

Fortunately, I think Barron and Ebukam will fine and hopefully longacre can be back by midseason. This leaves 2 spots to be filled by either players we already have and the draft. Maybe a cheaper FA like barwin is still a possibility.

Id be ok with trading next years 2nd rounder to move up and get someone they realty like. Not sure how high we could go into the 2nd round with our early 4th this year and next years 2nd but I'm down for a move like that.

Tano

Legend
Oh, yeah, that's for sure. I think they have a good handle on the contract situation so my main concerns are these two items.

Fortunately, I think Barron and Ebukam will fine and hopefully longacre can be back by midseason. This leaves 2 spots to be filled by either players we already have and the draft. Maybe a cheaper FA like barwin is still a possibility.

Id be ok with trading next years 2nd rounder to move up and get someone they realty like. Not sure how high we could go into the 2nd round with our early 4th this year and next years 2nd but I'm down for a move like that.
Unfortunately, we don't have a 2nd round pick next year

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
With the Rams having only $263 K available in cap space currently, plus they have to sign the 2018 rookie draftees which appear to cost approx 4.6 million of the 2018 cap funds...something has to give here...

What could or might it be?

dang

Legend
Keep in mind that for every rookie signed a vet will be cut. Unless there is dead money for any of the cut vets - the net will pretty much be $0 since none of the rookies will be getting more than the salaries of those that are cut (no R1/R2 rookie salaries this year).