Burwell: Robinson is the Pick @2 if no trade down

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Burwell: What Will the Rams Do in Round 1 of the NFL Draft

On today’s Upon Further Review, the Post-Dispatch’s Bryan Burwell and CineSport’s Noah Coslov talk Rams draft plans. Will Les Snead make a play for Johnny Football or is the rumor a smokescreen? Burwell thinks Robinson is the pick for the Rams at #2 if they don’t trade down. (4:12)

Watch Burwell Talk Rams Draft

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I prefer the ready to go Jake Matthews but I sure have no real issues with Gerald Robinson either. Rams have one serious size hole @ starter @ OLG in our OL. This is the perfect spot for GR to begin in the NFL. Rams really are made for GR in terms of what the Rams want to do with their offense early in the season. Super sized OL'ers GR & Jake Long would also be made for RB Zac Stacy.

JL will not be close to 100% when the season starts & teaming him with GR would permit the Rams to run and run more not putting JL in weakened position of pass protection so early in the season. Having GR in-between vets Scott Wells & Jake Long is a comfortable area to learn the NFL.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I prefer the ready to go Jake Matthews but I sure have no real issues with Gerald Robinson either. Rams have one serious size hole @ starter @ OLG in our OL. This is the perfect spot for GR to begin in the NFL. Rams really are made for GR in terms of what the Rams want to do with their offense early in the season. Super sized OL'ers GR & Jake Long would also be made for RB Zac Stacy.

JL will not be close to 100% when the season starts & teaming him with GR would permit the Rams to run and run more not putting JL in weakened position of pass protection so early in the season. Having GR in-between vets Scott Wells & Jake Long is a comfortable area to learn the NFL.

I'd go Mathews too, and I think Fisher trusts the bloodlines. Why wouldn't he, and the rest of us?

But... I see the appeal of the GR man-beast too.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I've been thinking it's Robinson for awhile now. Matthews in a small trade down. I want one of these guys.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
This posted today it sorta fits in here. Just more rumor stuff....

Jason La Canfora

CBS Sports NFL Insider
Falcons could move to No. 1 for Greg Robinson, not Jadeveon Clowney

the Atlanta Falcons trade to first overall it could be for Greg Robinson, according to league sources.
The Texans and Falcons continue to mull options in terms of a pre-draft trade involving the first overall pick. While many, myself included, have made note of Atlanta's strong interest in pass rusher Jadeveon Clowney, they are also very, very high on tackle Greg Robinson.

Tackle is an acute need as well as they are desperate to better protect Matt Ryan and several execs believe the Falcons could move to first overall for Robinson, a freak of nature physically who while raw has tremendous potential. The Rams are considering Robinson very highly at second overall, and Atlanta would need to jump them to get Robinson (and if Clowney then slid to second overall I'd expect the Rams to take him despite the young pass rushers already on their roster).

If Atlanta stays at six, several GMs I spoke to believe by that point the top three tackles could all be gone, as well as Clowney and Khalil Mack, the top two defensive players, and drafting another receiver that high wouldn't make sense after the Julio Jones trade. Trading down might be an option if a team wanted Sammy Watkins at six, but you can't bank on that.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer...o-no-1-for-greg-robinson-not-jadeveon-clowney

A55VA6

Legend
The thing is Robinson can play Guard and Tackle, Matthews is strictly a Tackle, imo. I assume if we draft Robinson or Matthews they would play RT and move Barksdale to Guard? I'm trying to imagine how the line would look.

I'm assuming it would be:
LT Long, LG Saffold, C Wells, RG Barksdale, RT Robinson/Matthews

All I want is what will make this team the best that it can be. Whether it's Clowney, Watkins, Robinson/Matthews, or someone else. Just make this team much better and I'll be happy. This is the Rams time to shine. We can't stay in last place in the NFC West and miss the playoffs every year.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
The thing is Robinson can play Guard and Tackle, Matthews is strictly a Tackle, imo. I assume if we draft Robinson or Matthews they would play RT and move Barksdale to Guard? I'm trying to imagine how the line would look.

All I want is what will make this team the best that it can be. Whether it's Clowney, Watkins, Robinson/Matthews, or someone else. Just make this team much better and I'll be happy. This is the Rams time to shine. We can't stay in last place in the NFC West and miss the playoffs every year.
Barks at guard? Has he ever?

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

Hoping for Guard in the 3rd like Gabe Jackson or Billy Turner and then I would be fine with this
LT Long, LG Jackson, C Wells/Jones, RG Saffold, RT Robinson.
Agree with others on Matthews being more ready especially if the Rams need somone to fill in at LT, but if Robinson is the pick then I toast his mother and say...."Here's to you Mrs. Robinson."

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Barks at guard? Has he ever?

No he never, was a DL in HS. Once @ LSU Barksdale switched to offense where in 2007 back up ORT. 2008 starting ORT. 2009 starting ORT. 2010 starting Left OT.

Barksdale will not play OG. He is strictly a ORT or OLT or a swing OT but a OG is not in his makeup. Matthews can play anywhere its well known that he is an outstanding deep snapper too. Matthews is an outstanding run blocker thinking that he would play more poorly @ OG than @ OT would be a big mistake. The 6-6 308 pounder could easily put more weight and size if he was working inside. If JM was the pick you would think he would get more work @ on the left side early in TC & pre season due to the Jake Long rehabbing event. Once JL was ready to fully go then JM would slide inside to OLG next to JL.

Last edited:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
No he never, was a DL in HS. Once @ LSU Barksdale switched to offense where in 2007 back up ORT. 2008 starting ORT. 2009 starting ORT. 2010 starting Left OT.

Barksdale will not play OG. He is strictly a ORT or OLT or a swing OT but a OG is not in his makeup. Matthews can play anywhere its well known that he is an outstanding deep snapper too. Matthews is an outstanding run blocker thinking that he would play more poorly @ OG than @ OT would be a big mistake. The 6-6 308 pounder could easily put more weight and size if he was working inside. If JM was the pick you would think he would get more work @ on the left side early in TC & pre season due to the Jake Long rehabbing event. Once JL was ready to fully go then JM would slide inside to OLG next to JL.
Agree about Barksdale. He needs to be the RT for the next 10 years. I think the wildcard here is Barrett. He could play G, C or T, and that gives the Rams a bit of flexibility when filling out the roster/line. Matthews would be a great addition, but we're taking Clowney and Bridgewater, so....

A55VA6

Legend
Hoping for Guard in the 3rd like Gabe Jackson or Billy Turner and then I would be fine with this
LT Long, LG Jackson, C Wells/Jones, RG Saffold, RT Robinson.
Agree with others on Matthews being more ready especially if the Rams need somone to fill in at LT, but if Robinson is the pick then I toast his mother and say...."Here's to you Mrs. Robinson."
I remember somewhere reading that Barksdale was willing to shift to guard if needed.

He's a starter to me. Robinson can play guard and tackle, Matthews just tackle in my opinion. So I would think Robinson is the better fit.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I remember somewhere reading that Barksdale was willing to shift to guard if needed.

He's a starter to me. Robinson can play guard and tackle, Matthews just tackle in my opinion. So I would think Robinson is the better fit.

Matthews can play Guard IMO, in fact, Fisher has stated as much about Matthews versatility. Matthews could play LT from day one if Jake Long is still recovering whereas Robinson is still a work in progress, but in a couple of years has the potential to be very special.

Jake Matthews played RT and then LT I don't see any issue with him playing Guard, however, I'm on board with Robinson and as to Barksdale I'm sure he'll do whatever is asked of him to do, but unlike others on this board I had some concerns with his pass protection at RT.

Also as of today Jake Matthews is a better pass blocker than Robinson, but that might be because Matthews did it more often at A&M then Robinson at Auburn.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
If its Robinson (which I hope it is - assuming the Falcons don't move up to 1 for him), surely he'd play RG with Barksdale RT for this year. Eventually end up being a LT to replace Long in the future.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
If its Robinson (which I hope it is - assuming the Falcons don't move up to 1 for him), surely he'd play RG with Barksdale RT for this year. Eventually end up being a LT to replace Long in the future.
IMO, if Robinson is the pick, and he is to begin his NFL career at OG it makes more sense to keep him on the left side. Saffold already has experience playing RG and by keeping Robinson at LG it would seem to make the later transition to LT more seamless, at least in theory.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Rodger Saffold plays RG and if Robinson played Guard, it would be LG IMO because he played on the left side at Auburn and the transition would be easier.

Last edited:

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
I think the lineup of

LT: Long
LG: Robinson
C: Wells
RG: Saffold
RT: Barksdale

is pretty formidable...

fearsomefour

Legend
I think it is about putting guys in the best spot to be successful. I am sure Barksdale is willing to move to G....he has had to work hard to be a starter and won't want to give that up. But that doesn't matter much. Either Robinson or Matthews is a better fit at G. Barksdale is a RT only to me. That's no slam on Joe, a team needs 5 good lineman and he is one.
Watch Robinson again. To me he displays bad hands, plays a lot out of balance. I think it would be at least two years before he is ready to attempt T. Like I have said before if we sit at 2 there are only three or four options there that make sense to me and Robinson ain't one of them.

A55VA6

Legend
Can't wait for all these damn questions to be answered in a week. Gonna be a crazy draft.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Can't wait for all these damn questions to be answered in a week. Gonna be a crazy draft.
Me either! The Jake Matthews vs Gerald Robinson debate will be coming to a close soon buy not soon enough for me. Next week at this time we will know.

Where Joe Barksdale enters the picture with the JM & GR debate is that JB is a UFA after this season....making the ORT position a possible concern in the 2014 draft. One thing that is clear is JM has played ORT for many seasons and was considered an outstanding RIGHT OT some say he will make a better Right OT than OLT. JM is off the shelf ready for the NFL @ OT now.

GR has NEVER played ORT in fact GR was known for being an outstanding OG . GR was redshirted in 2011. GR then appeared @ left tackle in 2012 the following season. GR has only started 11 games. So GR's playing history before 2012 season was @ OG. Now if you were trying to place your Ram team in a great position for the JB departing for his millions that young starting NFL UFA OT's get then JM is the much smarter move here than GR. It may take several seasons before GR is ready for OT starting post. Taking an OL'er with the overall #2 pick to play the interior for a season or two is not ideal and you may not get your moneys worth during those seasons.