Burwell: Rams should avoid crazy QB ideas

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Burwell: Rams should avoid crazy QB ideas
• By BRYAN BURWELL

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/colu...cle_83cf1fd7-f96c-5c62-b3a4-8b3d3ce1c0d6.html

So now all the amateur football geniuses and junior GM’s of the world have had time to devote their full attention to concocting wonderful fantasy-football solutions to the Rams current quarterback upheaval, this much is quite clear:

Everyone has a plan.

Mark Sanchez. Kirk Cousins. Ryan Mallett. Michael Vick. Chase Daniel. Kyle Orton. Names and outlandish trade ideas are being thrown around with plenty of freedom, but with a short supply of wisdom. And that lack of wisdom pertains particularly to that special breed of crazies who still think Tim Tebow’s best career move would be to put down the SEC Network microphone and race to Rams Park immediately to rescue the season. (Well, they could always use an extra H-back.)

Yet when all the nuttiness is done, when all the fantasy-football draft strategies are exhausted, when all the impractical dreams have run their course, we’re still left with the only logical course of action for this franchise to take.

Leave the football team in the hands of the competent veteran who already knows how to run this offense. Whatever wild ideas you might have to bring in a guy from somewhere else, there’s no one out there who is more ready to run the Rams’ offense than Shaun Hill.

The NFL is not a rec league hustle or a Saturday afternoon game of touch played on the street. You don’t walk in off the street, draw up a few plays in the dirt and tell the receiver to run a buttonhook at the Buick. You don’t bring in a guy who had no knowledge of offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer’s playbook, then expect him to run through this buzzsaw schedule in the toughest division in football without a glitch. A little recent history lesson should remind you of the disasters that happened when Carson Palmer and Josh Freeman were tossed in the mix in midseason.

In case you haven’t heard, this NFL quarterbacking thing is not an easy thing.

On Monday after practice at Rams Park, Jeff Fisher was particularly amused by all the speculation swirling around his football team and the countless trade rumors connected to the Rams. “I don’t really like to deal with hypotheticals, but had Shaun not (already) been here and we had an (injury) issue, we very well could have brought some guys in and see who’s got a better feel for us under center and then go and name a starter,” Fisher told a horde of reporters who surrounded him after a late-afternoon practice. “But we already have a starter. (Hill) was clearly our (No. 2). He steps in and goes and so anything that happens beyond that I can’t comment because we’ve really not done anything.”

If you need an interpreter to read between the lines, here goes:

There’s no one out there in the great big NFL universe right now who is available, could become available or who wants to make himself available who presents a better option than Shaun Hill. Teams aren’t going to just give away gifted backups (see: Kansas City and Chase Daniel) without asking for a king’s ransom. And the other teams that have guys they’re more than willing to dump are going to try to hijack valuable assets the Rams aren’t (or shouldn’t be) willing to part with (see: Tavon Austin).

Why are so many people fascinated with Ryan Mallett when it’s so obvious that the New England Patriots seem to be ready to dump him for rookie Jimmy Garoppolo? Mallett has thrown seven passes in his four-year NFL career. Is this someone you want to mortgage draft picks for?

Oh yes, and then there is Sanchez, whose greatest accomplishment in the last few seasons in the NFL is the “butt fumble.” He had some limited success with Schottenheimer with the Jets, but he has been a huge disappointment and proved to be a bust as a first-round draft pick. Again, why would the Rams waste any important assets (players or picks) trying to bring in someone who isn’t an improvement on what you already have?

“There are a lot of players out there that are under contract and so you can’t discuss those things,” said Fisher. “But we’ve not had any discussions with anybody. Again, we’re going to be patient with this.”

So here’s what the Rams will do. They’ll be patient. They already know that Hill is the guy who will run their offense and they have been satisfied with what they’ve seen out of Austin Davis as well. Remember shortly after the end of the 2012 season, Fisher practically gift-wrapped the No. 2 job to Davis for the 2013 season. However, Davis mysteriously did not rise to the opportunity and by the middle of training camp, Kellen Clemens had won the job. Now a year later, Davis is playing the way the organization envisioned he would, albeit a year late, and now he should have secured a job.

The next step is to be patient and see what pops up on the waiver wire as we get down to the final cutdown date when rosters must be trimmed to 53 men. NFL personnel people call this churning the bottom of the roster, which means if they see a name that they believe is an upgrade on rookie Garrett Gilbert, they’ll take a look.

But trust me on this: The next great Rams quarterback of the future is not going to be found on some frantic dumpster dive at the end of training camp.

The future isn’t now, it’s next spring when the draft rolls around. That’s where you’ll find your QB of the future; everything else is the stuff of silly fantasy or irrational folly.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Brian Burwell: the New Capt Obvious.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Dolphin and Redskins fans need to read this.

Matt Moore for 2nd rounder? Dumbasses lol

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
Hey may be Capt. Obvious but he's correct. No starting caliber qb is going to be released so Let's Go Shaun!

Oldgeek

I'm old and can't wait another 20 years for a SB W
Name
Steve
Actually one of the few time I agree with Burwell. I think Hill is as good as or better than almost any of the alternatives. He has a lot of experience and not a lot of wear and tear on his body. He doesn't have as strong of arm as Sam, but seems to have better touch on the short passes. He also ran the ball fearlessly and scoots OOB at the right time. I'm not nearly as sold on the #2 in Davis.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
So I take it that it's a no for an Aaron Rogers trade then?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Yeah, it's S Hill's team now.

I still wouldn't be opposed to Sanchez. I think he got a bad rap from the mess that was NY Jets and might still find his way in this league.

Bluesy

Reppin' the Rams since 2000
Name
Kyle
At least someone in the media has some intelligence. Don't get all the dumb outlets saying we need to trade for a QB pronto. Morons...

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I have a crazy QB idea... and it just might work.
I call it:
(Insert drum roll here)
BIONIC BRADFORD

Forget Dr James Andrews, we're going to the next level of sports science.
First we will remove Sam's knees and ankles and replace them with parts based on technology that currently exists only in top-secret underground military installations. We'll find it.
Next we will armor his bones in an atomantium coating, like Wolverine.
As we all know he already has one bionic eye, stolen from the T-800 in James Camerons basement.....

bskrilla

Starter
I have a crazy QB idea... and it just might work.
I call it:
(Insert drum roll here)
BIONIC BRADFORD

In an incredibly stoned stupor Sunday night I actually thought this might be a good idea. I was wondering what the recovery time would be if he just cut his left leg off at the knee and got one of those running blades installed. Obviously it's ridiculous and would fuck up his mechanics and his life, but my thinking was it's pretty hard to tear your ACL if you DON'T HAVE A FUCKING KNEE ANYMORE! AHAHAHAHA....

Ok I'm done now.

V3

Hall of Fame
Yeah, it's S Hill's team now.

I still wouldn't be opposed to Sanchez. I think he got a bad rap from the mess that was NY Jets and might still find his way in this league.
We've already seen what Sanchez can do in a Schottenheimer offense. It wasn't good. I think the reason for Sanchez looking so much better this year is because he finally has good coaching in a much better system.

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The Post-Dispatch’s Bryan Burwell sympathizes with Sam Bradford’s unfortunate injury yet stills believes the Rams can compete with Shaun Hill moving under center.

Watch Burwell Talk Bradford

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
I get he's captain obvious - but a lot of people needed reminding of the obvious IMO! Simply put - can you see a guy out there who gives us a better option than S Hill? Answer - no - unless we have to give up a king's ransom for them.

fearsomefour

Legend
Actually one of the few time I agree with Burwell. I think Hill is as good as or better than almost any of the alternatives. He has a lot of experience and not a lot of wear and tear on his body. He doesn't have as strong of arm as Sam, but seems to have better touch on the short passes. He also ran the ball fearlessly and scoots OOB at the right time. I'm not nearly as sold on the #2 in Davis.
I agree. If there was to be a trade I could see the Rams moving for a young QB from a another team to bolster the depth.