Burwell: Davis' new status isn't set in stone

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Burwell: Davis' new status isn't set in stone
• By BRYAN BURWELL

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/colu...cle_8a3a03a4-33d2-56fb-933c-5183399a51fd.html

On his second day as an official member of pro football’s most exclusive athletic fraternity, the Rams newest starting quarterback Austin Davis was all fun and games after a late-afternoon practice at Rams Park. Inside the locker room, he goofed for the TV cameras with tackle Joe Barksdale as they critiqued a new bobblehead of Robert Quinn.

Davis played the dutiful straight man to Barksdale’s comic routine, deadpanning answers with perfect timing, and of course the camera loved it all. Consider this one of those tiny hidden perks of his new status as one of the 32 starting quarterbacks in the National Football League. There are many others large and small that he will surely discover along the way. Yet every time he walks into that locker room, there are also constant reminders of his not-so-distant past as a member of the NFL transient class.

On the far wall of the room, next to the equipment room window is a small strip of high-end locker-room real estate where the Rams quarterbacks normally take up residence. Sam Bradford is over there. Shaun Hill is over there. Garrett Gilbert is over there. However, Davis’ locker stall is on the other side of the room where his No. 9 sticks out like a sore thumb between the big men with big numbers. Offensive linemen to his left, linebackers to his right.

They gave him that locker stall when he was the fourth-string QB on the depth chart. The world has changed in a whirlwind since then. With two starts under his belt, and enough evidence for Jeff Fisher to officially certify what his actions had been saying for nearly three weeks, the coach told the rest of us on Wednesday that Davis had shown him enough to officially leap over Hill on the depth chart (you know, sort of like what I’ve been telling you for weeks).

“Well Austin’s had a really solid couple of days,” Fisher told a handful of reporters after practice on Thursday. “He’s throwing the ball really well right now. He’s different. He’s got confidence. (I’m) looking forward to watching him play.”

Everything has changed so fast for Davis, but as he blazes forward on his meteoric rise up the Rams depth chart, let’s hope the symbolism of his locker-room real estate is a constant reminder of just how quickly a man’s fate can rise and fall in this demanding performance-related business. The NFL is a coldhearted business that measures your worth by what you put on tape.

Davis’s tape is a mighty fine product so far. Fisher and offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer know that the days of those keep-it-close, low-scoring Sundays are no longer the Rams’ blueprint for success. They do not need to slog it out to win games because they now believe they’re capable of putting 30 points on the scoreboard on any given Sunday.

“I think you have to start with the group as a whole,” said Schottenheimer. “Obviously, the weapons that we’ve added or developed. Bringing Kenny Britt in has helped. He can make a lot of plays for us down the field. Jared Cook in Year Two (there has been) big development. Lance Kendricks has gotten a lot better. Just different guys doing it.”

But an equally significant part of this puzzle has been Austin’s ability to run this offense to a higher degree of efficiency than it operated last year when Bradford went down with a knee injury. He can throw with great accuracy in general, but his deep throws are precise as well. That’s why he earned this job weeks ago and Fisher’s announcement on Wednesday was a mere formality.

“Austin’s played very, very well,” said Schottenheimer. “That’s a big part of it. But the credit goes to these guys for the way they’ve worked more than anything because, again, this is nothing that we haven’t seen. We saw it spring, we saw it all training camp against our defense. We’ve got weapons that have the ability to make plays. Again, I think Austin certainly benefits from that, but again the trigger man is going to be the guy that gets a lot of the credit but also is going to take the blame. From day one like I said, in big moments he’s stepped up. The throw he made to (Brian) Quick last week … that’s just a great throw. The guy was kind of bearing down on him. He stood there and threw it.”

So the job is his and he doesn’t have to look over his shoulder, which is smart. Fisher doesn’t want him to worry about a quick hook if he has a bad game, which he inevitably will, because this is the NFL and everyone has a bad game.

What he has to avoid is stringing together a litany of bad games, because just as quickly as he replaced Hill, the entire thing can be reversed.

Oh yes, and just like it was silly to think anyone really needed Fisher to say Davis was the starting quarterback, he doesn’t have to say that he can change back to Hill if need be. This is the NFL, and no one has to be told that if they don’t play well, they don’t play.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
It's hard to overemphasize the importance of Davis stepping up and playing well. He hasn't proven he can be the long term guy for this team yet, but just the possibility that he is good enough... It's almost unbelievable.

I mean, I thought this team won the lottery with Kurt Warner to the point where lightning could not possibly strike twice. And granted it is still unlikely... But what if?

The hope I am feeling right now, it just feels great man.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
It's hard to overemphasize the importance of Davis stepping up and playing well. He hasn't proven he can be the long term guy for this team yet, but just the possibility that he is good enough... It's almost unbelievable.

I mean, I thought this team won the lottery with Kurt Warner to the point where lightning could not possibly strike twice. And granted it is still unlikely... But what if?

All I know is the Saints didn't to crap against the Cowboys, and we're pissed because we didn't top 40 points. There's something in the air, here. I can't wait for this game.

Big Game

Living The Dream

I totally agree with you after the way Kurt Warner hit the scene i just knew that was a once in a lifetime type of deal. But i can't help but think "wow could this really happen to the Rams twice" find your starting QB being the guy who was third or fourth string its amazing.

I know we won't have the same happy ending(we can dream) but this has been fun to watch develop. If young Davis can lead us to 8-10 wins this year and possibly sneak into the playoff wow the sky's the limit.

But right now i'll just take a win on sunday!!!

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
It has been observed, around OTA's and Training Camp, by many around here at ROD, That Davis Looked pretty Bad in PRACTICE, and We'd be "Screwed" If the Rams had to depend on him at QB! Well, I'm Starting to think that Davis may be one of those players [ and there's been many over the years!] that doesn't inspire you in Practice, but KILL's his opponents when he get's on the field in a Real Game! I think we'll have a good idea after sundays game!! ( Historical note; Do you remember when Brett Favre first started with Atl and GB? I do, and he looked Laughable at QB!>Context!)

AZRamsFan93

I totally agree with you after the way Kurt Warner hit the scene i just knew that was a once in a lifetime type of deal. But i can't help but think "wow could this really happen to the Rams twice" find your starting QB being the guy who was third or fourth string its amazing.

I know we won't have the same happy ending(we can dream) but this has been fun to watch develop. If young Davis can lead us to 8-10 wins this year and possibly sneak into the playoff wow the sky's the limit.

My biggest concern going into Sunday is defense. Who would have thought that to be the case?

Big Game

Living The Dream
My biggest concern going into Sunday is defense. Who would have thought that to be the case?

Exactly coming into this season we all thought "top 5 defense but can we score" now 5 weeks into the season we are all thinking "man we can put 24 or more points but can't stop anybody" SMH (n):unsure:

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Exactly coming into this season we all thought "top 5 defense but can we score" now 5 weeks into the season we are all thinking "man we can put 24 or more points but can't stop anybody" SMH (n):unsure:

I still think it's just a matter of time with this defense. There is simply too much talent there, but for various reasons they haven't put it all together yet. They started the same way last year though, but once they did put it all together our D was pretty formidable.

Big Game

Living The Dream
I still think it's just a matter of time with this defense. There is simply too much talent there, but for various reasons they haven't put it all together yet. They started the same way last year though, but once they did put it all together our D was pretty formidable.

I totally agree i still believe this defense can be very good just hate the fact we are off to such a slow start. But if its going to get better now would be the right time.

We have an 8 game stretch that is going to be brutal. Now would be the perfect time to see that "top 5 defense" we all envisioned.

rams2050

Starter
Well, I am optimistic about AD. He broke all of Favre's records at Southern Mississippi for some reason, didn't he?

So, that makes me optimistic about the Rams' chances going forward IF the D can pull its collective head out of its rear end. And even if the D doesn't do so, maybe the O will put up enough points to win.

It's not going to be easy, but I don't think I would have very much hope at all had I not seen how well AD played over the past 3 games. Sure, he makes mistakes, but how much practice did he have with the 1s? I expect him to improve, and even if he doesn't improve he's the most exciting QB the Rams have had since Kurt Warner and the early days of Marc Bulger.

Maybe the Eagles will have a 'book' on him, but I'm thinking they won't. I'm thinking AD is like a virus that adapts to any situation that is thrown its way. At least, I hope that is the case.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Regardless of what happens, I def feel better about the QB position now than back in August.

Austin Davis for the most part has played well, and I honestly don't care about rankings, those are real, legit NFL defenses he has faced. To understand what they are doing, getting the right play, and executing is impressive.

Until he pulls a Keith Null, I'm ain't worried.

Alaskan Ram

Last Frontier Member

I think this is just a testament to those who believe building a depleted team around a "franchise" QB and getting instant results are just WRONG.
It's a team sport.

In both Warner's case and perhaps Davis' case now, the team was shored up. All that was missing was a serviceable field general who could bring it all together.

I firmly believe Bradford would have rocked it on this 2014 team.

There might not have been anything "lightening in a bottle" about either Warner's case or the potential Davis' brings. It might just be that good football is what you get when you have plenty of depth and talent on a club.

Hey Man

Starter
Name
Hey Man
I agree. Hopefully they can play like the pack defence played last night. They are the worst in the league against the rush.

Hey Man

Starter
Name
Hey Man
Were did Burwell come up with the line that says
Davis’s tape is a mighty fine product so far. Fisher and offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer know that the days of those keep-it-close, low-scoring Sundays are no longer the Rams’ blueprint for success. They do not need to slog it out to win games because they now believe they’re capable of putting 30 points on the scoreboard on any given Sunday.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I think this is just a testament to those who believe building a depleted team around a "franchise" QB and getting instant results are just WRONG.
It's a team sport.

In both Warner's case and perhaps Davis' case now, the team was shored up. All that was missing was a serviceable field general who could bring it all together.

I firmly believe Bradford would have rocked it on this 2014 team.

There might not have been anything "lightening in a bottle" about either Warner's case or the potential Davis' brings. It might just be that good football is what you get when you have plenty of depth and talent on a club.

Agreed. I think Schotty finally has the horses to make this offense more vertical and you can tell by the play calling. Stay up AD and keep firing away.