Bud Sasser comes to St. Louis with plenty to prove/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Bud Sasser comes to St. Louis with plenty to prove
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...sasser-comes-to-st-louis-with-plenty-to-prove

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- For most NFL draft prospects with the type of resume that wide receiver Bud Sasser compiled at the University of Missouri, the pre-draft process looks the same.

After a productive college career at an SEC school, the average player would go to the scouting combine in Indianapolis, perhaps after a stop at one of the all-star games, wrap it up with a pro day and then wait for his name to be called. For Sasser, almost none of that came to pass. Almost.

Despite a senior season in which the 6-foot-2, 210-pound Sasser posted 77 catches for 1,003 yards and 12 touchdowns on his way to first-team All-SEC honors, Sasser was mildly surprised not to get an invite to any of the postseason all-star games. But that paled in comparison to his chagrin when the NFL sent out combine invitations and his name wasn't among the 323 on the list.

"The no combine invite was big," Sasser said. "There was a lot of stunning things going on. That was crazy to me but I was able to overcome it and just be able to do what I needed to do at my pro day. And I was able to help myself out with that."

Sasser spent his time working out in Phoenix in an effort to prepare for his pro day at Missouri, knowing full well that would be his best chance to show off for NFL teams. A solid pro day performance combined with his senior season game film garnered Sasser some attention from around the league. He took visits to Kansas City, Houston, Oakland and Green Bay though he acknowledges that he mostly remained under the radar throughout the process.

When the draft finally arrived, Sasser wasn't sure what to expect. Given his limited exposure stemming from the lack of invites to the combine or all-star games, he hoped he would land somewhere but tempered his expectations.

As it turned out, it was the St. Louis Rams, just down Interstate-70 that had taken enough notice to draft him in the sixth round with the 201st overall pick.

“You noticed Sasser this year, obviously they had a lot of wide receivers there in the last few years and then a couple of them that graduated," Rams general manager Les Snead said. "This year with the quarterback that they have you just notice, hey him throwing the ball up and that guy going to get it and high pointing it. He was a big part of their offense. I think the stats show that he probably more than tripled his numbers this year. But long story short, we like the size and if you want to call it the arm length and just catch radius.”

If the Rams have their way, Sasser can be part of a tradition in which the Rams use a sixth-round pick on an accomplished former Tiger who turns into a bigger contributor than expected given his draft status. Last year, it was cornerback E.J. Gaines, who turned into a starter and has the look of a long-time producer for the defense.

Sasser's path to the roster figures to be a bit more complicated, though. The Rams have carried six wideouts in the past and if they do, Sasser would seem to have a good shot. But if they only carry five, it could come down to a battle with fourth-year veteran Chris Givens for the final spot.

"I just have to come out here every day and work," Sasser said. "I believe in my abilities and my skillset and I know this coaching staff, Coach [Ray] Sherman especially, is going to get me right and help me improve each day. There’s a lot of key components to helping me improve my game every day."

The first component will be in getting clearance to actually get on the field. Sasser did not participate in last weekend's rookie orientation because of what he and coach Jeff Fisher termed some physical tests that he still needed to clear. It was just the latest in a line of obstacles tossed in Sasser's path to the NFL.

"It just seems that there’s some type of situation that goes on in every little process I go through so it just creates a bigger and bigger chip each time," Sasser said.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
Really wish they would give a "clue" to what this "physical issue" is ..... I'm rooting for the guy though. As Snead says, he high points and seems to have a good catch radius

RamzFanz

Damnit
Really wish they would give a "clue" to what this "physical issue" is ..... I'm rooting for the guy though. As Snead says, he high points and seems to have a good catch radius

A false positive maybe? Why would he be held out otherwise?

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
I'm excited to see what he can do on the field. I hope they get this resolved soon. I think the guy can be an Austin Pettis/Brandon Gibson type receiver for this team. Not super flashy, but comes up in tight spots using his physicality.

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
I'm not a Mizzou fan but Sasser certainly looks like he got overlooked. He wasn't invited to any All Star games and the NFL Combine despite being First Team SEC. I'm probably wrong but once he checks out physically, I think there are going to be a lot of people that are wondering how they overlooked him.

wmc540

Pro Bowler
With a name like Bud, it isn't too hard to imagine being overlooked. No one goes out of their way to draft a golden retriever. Hopefully, he'll turn out to be a golden reciever.

lockdnram21

Legend
I'm excited to see what he can do on the field. I hope they get this resolved soon. I think the guy can be an Austin Pettis/Brandon Gibson type receiver for this team. Not super flashy, but comes up in tight spots using his physicality.
I think he can be like the guy from saints. I wouldn't compare him to Pettis or Gibson.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I watched some of his highlight reels and I am stunned he didn't get more attention before and during the draft. Super curious to see what this health issue is, but also looking forward to see what this kid can do once training camp rolls around. If BQs injury was as bad as feared, he may not be the same guy coming back and Sasser may help us get some of that size and ability back.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
I think he can be like the guy from saints. I wouldn't compare him to Pettis or Gibson.
I think he is slightly faster than those two. His pro day #'s ......if I remember correctly ... were in the low to mid 4.5's? Pettis and Gibson were mid 4.6 guys.