Bucs QB Johnson paid to have footballs altered before SB 37

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bucs/...o-have-footballs-altered-before-sb-37/2214490

Bucs QB Johnson paid to have footballs altered before SB 37

Four days before the biggest game of his life, quarterback Brad Johnson broke an NFL rule to help the Bucs win Super Bowl XXXVII.

At 34, Johnson had developed a few compulsions during his career. He changed his socks and shoes every quarter, and over the course of a game he replaced everything but his pants. Johnson always sweated profusely, and he liked the clean, dry feeling.

This was particularly true when it came to footballs. He had trouble gripping a wet football, a cold football or a new, out-of-the-box football.

It had been enough of a problem during the NFC title game in Philadelphia the week before — where it was 26 degrees at kickoff — that he was forced to wear a glove.

"I wouldn't have been able to play without it," he said.

At the Super Bowl, the NFL had 100 footballs. They were new, slick and supposedly under the league's watchful eye. But not leaving anything to chance, Johnson made sure the balls were scuffed and ready well before the Dixie Chicks sang the national anthem.

"I paid some guys off to get the balls right," Johnson now admits. "I went and got all 100 footballs, and they took care of all of them."

How much did it cost Johnson? "Seventy-five hundred (dollars)," he said.

"They took care of them."

Johnson made the revelation several years ago, prior to the 10-year reunion of the Bucs' Super Bowl champion team.

The NFL has found that 11 of 12 of the New England Patriots game balls were inflated significantly less than the NFL requires in Sunday's AFC Championship win over the Colts, ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported.

Prior to the championship game, the game balls provided to each team for preparation were inspected and approved by referee Walt Anderson two hours and 15 minutes before kickoff before they were returned to a ball attendant before the game, Mortensen reported.

Prior to the Super Bowl, the NFL was in custody of the 100 footballs until the start of the game, Johnson said.

The difference, of course, is that both teams used the same footballs in the Super Bowl. But the point is, quarterbacks want to control the feel and grip of the football and will do anything to ensure they are taken care of. For the record, Raiders QB Rich Gannon threw five interceptions in Super Bowl XXXVII.

bjohnson012115_8col.jpg

AP photo

Brad Johnson, right, celebrates with teammate Roman Oben, after throwing a touchdown pass to Keenan McCardell in the third quarter of Super Bowl XXXVII.

[Last modified: Wednesday, January 21, 2015 12:05pm]

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
As long as the protocol is cheating=fines, then nobody is going to stop.
As soon as it becomes cheating=ban, then it'll stop.

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well, yeah, there is no punishment for these things. However, why is football different in baseball. In baseball the saying is if you ain't cheatin' you ain't trying. Scuffed balls, spit balls, corked bats, and so on.

In football silicon spray on linemen's jerseys, etc. In 1984 Karl Nelson said Jack Youngblood put silicone spray on his jersey to prevent holding (which Youngblood denies) so, to counter Jack's move of grabbing his tricep to keep Nelson from blocking him, Nelson put Vasoline on the back of his arm.

Cheating? Or smart? Both?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Well, yeah, there is no punishment for these things. However, why is football different in baseball. In baseball the saying is if you ain't cheatin' you ain't trying. Scuffed balls, spit balls, corked bats, and so on.

In football silicon spray on linemen's jerseys, etc. In 1984 Karl Nelson said Jack Youngblood put silicone spray on his jersey to prevent holding (which Youngblood denies) so, to counter Jack's move of grabbing his tricep to keep Nelson from blocking him, Nelson put Vasoline on the back of his arm.

Sure, lots of people to game the system as much as they can as individuals. But the question is ... why are they the only ones who get caught? Why are they the only team that has a home winning percentage that by far and away exceeds the statistical norm in the league? My best guess is that they do it far more often and more egregiously than any other team. And it all starts at the top. You probably won't find other coaches who are as blatantly defiant of morality and fair play than Bill Bellyfat. You might find a player here or there on other teams who are a little sneaky, but how many head coaches do you hear of who do this?

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
Sure, lots of people to game the system as much as they can as individuals. But the question is ... why are they the only ones who get caught? Why are they the only team that has a home winning percentage that by far and away exceeds the statistical norm in the league? My best guess is that they do it far more often and more egregiously than any other team. And it all starts at the top. You probably won't find other coaches who are as blatantly defiant of morality and fair play than Bill Bellyfat. You might find a player here or there on other teams who are a little sneaky, but how many head coaches do you hear of who do this?
I think that's right. Pats are always trying to find and edge and they don't have scruples, and seem to take things to a borader and higher level.

They guy who told me about the spying in hotels said it would be possible in this Ipad era to spy on the wi=-fi in a hotel, if you had hotel cooporation, now that is just speculation, but the thing I said about them 4-5 years ago looking in trash was based ona coach who was there in 2009 and is elsewhere now.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

It was cheating but this is 2015. We have more rules in place, more ways to enforce them, more eyes to report them, instant replays, rules committee to make changes, etc...

This not 1975. Many don't realize that the first NFaiL team to instate team wide use of Steroids was the 1970s Pittsburgh Steelers. Not only were they the first, the were the only team for a few years. Coincidentally, they didn't just win one SuperBowl, they won 4. Things have changed sinc then.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
This has been going on long before the Pats were accused of it. Manning used to deflate his, Rodgers is a advocate for not having a max limit. Players used to rub sand or mark laces to enhance grip. It's a silly rule in the first place, the officiating crew should be in charge of any game equipment. It's like allowing the offensive team to control of yard markers.

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
Leinart says “every” quarterback tampers with the ball, except one
Posted by Mike Florio on January 21, 2015, 3:54 PM EST
leinart.jpg
Getty Images
It took a couple of days, but #DeflateGate is officially a full-blown NFL controversy, inflating ratings and page views throughout the sports media.

Adding to the intrigue is the vague notion that other quarterbacks have doctored footballs. Former Super Bowl-winning quarterback Brad Johnson has admitted paying ball boys to scuff up footballs before the 37th installment of the NFL’s premier event — although he insists he violated no rules. Now, a former Heisman winner who never quite made it at the pro level contends that most quarterbacks do something to the football.

Every team tampers with the footballs,” Matt Leinart said on Twitter. “Ask any Qb In the league, this is ridiculous!!”

Leinart then carved out one exception: “Actually my guy @kurt13warner didn’t tamper w the footballs because he wore gloves,” Leinart said. “Used to irritate me..So correction, almost all QBs!

Kevin Clark of the Wall Street Journal, who’s currently in Mobile, Alabama for the first significant pre-draft event, supports the notion that tampering is commonplace by noting that “NFL head coaches here at Senior Bowl seem downright offended that people think this deflation stuff is a big deal.”

While the rules are the rules (brilliant!), the question of whether the rules regarding ball inflation/deflation are commonly ignored become as relevant to the final analysis of #DeflateGate as does the Patriots’ past transgression from 2007. If, that is, the NFL concludes that 11 of 12 footballs used by New England in the first half of the AFC title game were two pounds per square inch below the minimum due to deliberate misconduct.

Athos

Legend
Leinart says “every” quarterback tampers with the ball, except one
Posted by Mike Florio on January 21, 2015, 3:54 PM EST
leinart.jpg
Getty Images
It took a couple of days, but #DeflateGate is officially a full-blown NFL controversy, inflating ratings and page views throughout the sports media.

Adding to the intrigue is the vague notion that other quarterbacks have doctored footballs. Former Super Bowl-winning quarterback Brad Johnson has admitted paying ball boys to scuff up footballs before the 37th installment of the NFL’s premier event — although he insists he violated no rules. Now, a former Heisman winner who never quite made it at the pro level contends that most quarterbacks do something to the football.

Every team tampers with the footballs,” Matt Leinart said on Twitter. “Ask any Qb In the league, this is ridiculous!!”

Leinart then carved out one exception: “Actually my guy @kurt13warner didn’t tamper w the footballs because he wore gloves,” Leinart said. “Used to irritate me..So correction, almost all QBs!

Kevin Clark of the Wall Street Journal, who’s currently in Mobile, Alabama for the first significant pre-draft event, supports the notion that tampering is commonplace by noting that “NFL head coaches here at Senior Bowl seem downright offended that people think this deflation stuff is a big deal.”

While the rules are the rules (brilliant!), the question of whether the rules regarding ball inflation/deflation are commonly ignored become as relevant to the final analysis of #DeflateGate as does the Patriots’ past transgression from 2007. If, that is, the NFL concludes that 11 of 12 footballs used by New England in the first half of the AFC title game were two pounds per square inch below the minimum due to deliberate misconduct.

Well fuck then, if rules are rules are rules are made to be broken, why even bother having rules? Why bother paying guys millions for rules?

Fuck, let's just go back to Gladiatorial rules. The only rule is that the emperor gets to decide to if you get to keep your head or not.

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
For those who don't think deflating, scuffing or some other alteration of game equipment is a big deal I just have one question.

Why do they do it then?

V3

Hall of Fame
So he had ALL of the balls changed. That means the other team had the exact same advantage. I'm not saying it's right but at least both teams were on an even playing field. With the Pats, that wasn't the case. It was only the balls that NE used that were altered. Not an even playing field. It may not have mattered in the Indy game but I bet it would have DEFINITELY made a difference in the Baltimore game the previous week.

These two stories(NE cheating vs. TB cheating) are NOT the same situation, IMO.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
So he had ALL of the balls changed. That means the other team had the exact same advantage. I'm not saying it's right but at least both teams were on an even playing field. With the Pats, that wasn't the case. It was only the balls that NE used that were altered. Not an even playing field. It may not have mattered in the Indy game but I bet it would have DEFINITELY made a difference in the Baltimore game the previous week.

These two stories(NE cheating vs. TB cheating) are NOT the same situation, IMO.

And it seems stories like this come out, after they were caught.
Kind of like "well others were doing things" etc., seems like almost an effort to cover for them.

V3

Hall of Fame
Kind of like "well others were doing things" etc., seems like almost an effort to cover for them.
That's exactly what it is. I heard some Boston radio hosts trying to spin this story as justification. He might have been the dumbest radio host I've ever heard with the crap he was saying to try and defend his team. The sad part is there are a bunch of people that will eat it up as logical and reasonable, thus continuing the trend of NE getting off the hook for everything. Bellicheat has turned the NFL into the WWE, IMO. Just go ahead and do whatever you want. The repercussions for any cheating won't be too bad so why not?...well, they won't be bad if you're NE. New Orleans might have something to say about even punishments.

ozarkram

Hall of Shame
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Exactly. Every time the Pats get caught the finger pointing starts. Oh look over here, No look over here. Its all a smoke screen. Or as my old man used to say a fog factor. Like the little kid on the playground, but teacher look what Johnny did not just me.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
BINGO.

These are damage control stories for the NFL/Goodell, Patriots. It couldn't be any more transparent to me.