Bucky Brooks; Back off Jared Goff!

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Afro Ram

Pro Bowler
I haven't seen a single thing from Jared Goff that tells me he is going to be a good NFL starting QB. I straight-out think the Rams made a mistake making him the number one draft pick. At this point all I can do is hope that I'm wrong. He has a great coaching staff in front of him now and a lot of new offensive weapons including an improved offensive line. If he can somehow prove me wrong I'll be absolutely ecstatic but I'm definitely not counting on it.

Austin

Rookie
Name
Douglas
Good article, and a sane viewpoint that goes against the grain for the kneejerk media.

I don't read it as: "It's good for a QB to start poorly, because that means they have a chance to become Eli Manning."

I do read it as: "A QB can flourish even after a horrendous start to his career. Example: Eli Manning."

What the article offers is a step back, an acknowledgement of what we saw from Goff, and a discussion of why that doesn't doom him, or define his career, before stating some factors that could contribute to a turnaround in year 2, an upward trajectory, and a successful career. It doesn't claim those things will happen, and it doesn't claim that starting poorly was good for Goff.

(Though perhaps it benefitted him by getting Fisher out of the building? wait... this was Goff's plan all along...?:mrburnsevil:)

As far as not seeing anything positive from Goff, there were plenty of plays where he flashed his skill, talent, instinct, guts. No, not solely in the New Orleans game, though you can look at that first half for sure, and see Goff's potential. No one wants to, but you can also go back to college, and look at the traits that made him a high first-round prospect at the position, that failed to consistently materialize in last year's debacle. It's a safe bet the guy didn't forget how to play the game, and it's more likely the scheme and demands put on him became obstacles rather than guardrails for his success.

I want Jared to succeed. I believe he will. I won't pretend those things aren't true. But I want to be clear that I think he should be judged fairly.

Goff's career has only just begun. Brooks simply makes the case that we can't know what his future will be, since we've seen QBs start poorly, and go on to moderate and even great success, and there's no reason to believe such a thing is impossible for Jared. With the coaching move, and the search for reliable targets, the Rams look to be putting him in a much better position to succeed than he found himself in last year. So folks can write him off if they want, and it will look sensible given the numbers and narrative thus far. There's just still so much more opportunity for Goff to grow, and be successful, and it's silly to overlook that.

Edited for an extra 's'

Afro Ram

Pro Bowler
Good article, and a sane viewpoint that goes against the grain for the kneejerk media.

I don't read it as: "It's good for a QB to start poorly, because that means they have a chance to become Eli Manning."

I do read it as: "A QB can flourish even after a horrendous start to his career. Example: Eli Manning."

What the article offers is a step back, an acknowledgement of what we saw from Goff, and a discussion of why that doesn't doom him, or define his career, before stating some factors that could contribute to a turnaround in year 2, an upward trajectory, and a successful career. It doesn't claim those things will happen, and it doesn't claim that starting poorly was good for Goff.

(Though perhaps it benefitted him by getting Fisher out of the building? wait... this was Goff's plan all along...?:mrburnsevil:)

As far as not seeing anything positive from Goff, there were plenty of plays where he flashed his skill, talent, instinct, guts. No, not solely in the New Orleans game, though you can look at that first half for sure, and see Goff's potential. No one wants to, but you can also go back to college, and look at the traits that made him a high first-round prospect at the position, that failed to consistently materialize in last year's debacle. It's a safe bet the guy didn't forget how to play the game, and it's more likely the scheme and demands put on him became obstacles rather than guardrails for his success.

I want Jared to succeed. I believe he will. I won't pretend those things aren't true. But I want to be clear that I think he should be judged fairly.

Goff's career has only just begun. Brooks simply makes the case that we can't know what his future will be, since we've seen QBs start poorly, and go on to moderate and even great success, and there's no reason to believe such a thing is impossible for Jared. With the coaching move, and the search for reliable targets, the Rams look to be putting him in a much better position to succeed than he found himself in last year. So folks can write him off if they want, and it will look sensible given the numbers and narrative thus far. There's just still so much more opportunity for Goff to grow, and be successful, and it's silly to overlook that.

Edited for an extra 's'

Good post and I agree with just about everything you said. The bottom line is this guy is the first player selected in the entire draft. He took the money and the accolades, so now he can take my skepticism. No more moral victories for me. I will support him as long as he Ram. But if he's not getting the job done myself and everyone else has the right to call him out on it.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

As much as we wanted to see Goff flourish last season nobody can be happier that his not so great rookie year contributed to Fisher being shown the door. Good riddance, should have happened a year earlier.

There's something about mcvay and the staff he's assembled that makes me think the team will be in good hands moving forward.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Let me start off by clarifying that I was never in favour of the Trade for the #1 spot, I didn't believe there was a QB worthy of that in last years draft, I didn't see a franchise QB in there at all. But that's what happened, thats the decision made, I now support it, and support Goff as our starting QB.

Sure lots of rookies have poor starts, and Goff's was bad, but the whole team was bad. The play calling was bad. The playbook was bad (and obvious). 15 words a call? Did they not think to tweak the playbook for Goff?

This is the year (and next) that we can truly judge the Rams on, and I know it's early days for McVay's system, but results will have to be produced.

McVay has pulled together a backroom for QB success, you can't fault him there. He's been the best off-season acquisition the Rams have made.

The good thing is Goff can't get any worse than last year's debacle.

I, for one, am excited.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Man tough crowd .... Goff has had 7 games ... 7 games ... 7 28 quarters of football .. maybe half the reps in TC

in a Jeff Fisher offense .. with a TE coach as his OC
where the HC had a serious boner for a lesser QB
no Offensive line to speak of
no running game (thanks Todd and o line )
half hearted effort from receivers and tight ends (looking at you quick and kendricks )

how about before we throw the baby out with the bath water ..lets give him a full season as the true bonafide unquestioned starter and see how he does with coaches who seem to know what they are doing
before we declare him a bust

BuffaloRam

Pro Bowler
Man tough crowd .... Goff has had 7 games ... 7 games ... 7 28 quarters of football .. maybe half the reps in TC

half hearted effort from receivers and tight ends (looking at you quick and kendricks )

how about before we throw the baby out with the bath water ..lets give him a full season as the true bonafide unquestioned starter and see how he does with coaches who seem to know what they are doing
Amen Brother

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
lol I did read the article or maybe you don't like hearing a difference of opinion about the 0-7 savior and for the record I never have said I didn't want Goff to succeed me believing someone else on the roster is better doesn't mean I don't want him to succeed and if you bothered to actually read my first post I clearly said that.

I'm sure you know how paragraphs work right with the structure and title sentences. He deliberately tried to link Goff struggles with those of Super Bowl winning QBs who had similar struggles stated that he was following the path. Like everyone should be following that path in order to win a Super Bowl that's ridiculous and like I also stated it's fine to make that correlation but when that's your topic sentence in a article you make everything about that particular topic. It's would have been completely different if he reversed his article by starting with the reasons why Goff can succeed despite is poor start then at the end stating - after all we have seen guys start slowly only to end up being a 2x Super Bowl champion, instead he made it seem like every rookie QB that starts slowly is the next Eli and Peyton Manning

In the Twitterverse, the trolls would have you believe that the Rams' QB1 is an abject failure based on his disappointing first seven games as an NFL starter. Sure, the 2016 No. 1 overall pick failed to win a game while completing just 54.6 percent of his passes with a 5:7 touchdown-to-interception ratio and a 63.6 passer rating.

Ok, I guess I can tell which POV you take....

Good grief man. Keep hoping he fails so your boy Mannion gets to play.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Amen brother.
He may very well be a bust, but at least we'll have an honest chance to find out

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
That's still implying that because he had a slow start he could be a Super Bowl winner, well no duh, but don't try to spin his historically bad start as sign of good things to come. That's like saying because Dak had a good first season don't expect it to last because Vince young won rookie of the year and now he's out of the league. That reasoning is garbage imo you're better off stating the reasons why he can become successful instead of he is "following the path" like everybody wanna start off bad
Did you even read the article?? He explains in very good detail all of the reasons why Goff can be better this year. Sheesh...

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Good post and I agree with just about everything you said. The bottom line is this guy is the first player selected in the entire draft. He took the money and the accolades, so now he can take my skepticism. No more moral victories for me. I will support him as long as he Ram. But if he's not getting the job done myself and everyone else has the right to call him out on it.
Super. You go ahead and "call him out" all day on message boards. I am sure he will be salty.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
After watching their receivers struggle mightily in 2016, the Rams added Robert Woods and Cooper Kupp to the group during the offseason.

Josh Reynolds: "What am I, chopped liver???"
His "pissed off" factor just got ratcheted up a notch.

I think a lot of QB's who come out of college have the potential to be great, they just need the right system & support. Only a select few QB's in NFL history had the ability to single-handedly carry a team on their backs (Elway, Peyton). Just because Goff was selected #1 overall, doesn't mean he has to be one of these two or else he's a bust (re: Alex Smith). Lots of great QB's get wasted on lousy teams, or get beat to a pulp behind porous OL's (re: the elder Carr).
IIRC, the general consensus on this board is that our OL play last year was awful. So goes the running game. So goes the time & comfort level a QB feels in the pocket, especially a QB who we all know is a pocket passer type. If we had Dallas' OL (and probably their coaching staff too) last year, it might've been Goff being in the discussion as OROY instead of their freshman QB.
I think we've seen enough of Goff to say the jury's still out -- he's made mistakes, holds the ball too long, but has made some really nice plays too. I appreciate Bucky doing his homework instead of piling on the "bust" bandwagon, and his point stands: the sports world needs to take a breath & give Goff some time before dismissing him, or they all run the risk of hypocrisy when they start jumping over to the "goat" bandwagon if he (and Gurley) gets cranked up in McVay's new system behind Kromer's OL.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Let me start off by clarifying that I was never in favour of the Trade for the #1 spot, I didn't believe there was a QB worthy of that in last years draft,

If there was a qb worthy of that the rams wouldn't have got anywhere near him. They did what they had to do. Of course it wasn't ideal that fisher was the hc but they shipped him out good and proper before he damaged Goff too much. He's with the perfect coach now to help him succeed in the nfl.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Did you even read the article?? He explains in very good detail all of the reasons why Goff can be better this year. Sheesh...

Did you read my reply??? He listed all the reason why Goff was "following the path" after he already made that assertion. I don't have a problem with the reason why Goff can turn it around I have a problem with the fact that Since Goff is following the path He could be the next ELi or Peyton the claim is ridiculous and it's a claim every QB can make

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
In the Twitterverse, the trolls would have you believe that the Rams' QB1 is an abject failure based on his disappointing first seven games as an NFL starter. Sure, the 2016 No. 1 overall pick failed to win a game while completing just 54.6 percent of his passes with a 5:7 touchdown-to-interception ratio and a 63.6 passer rating.

Ok, I guess I can tell which POV you take....

Good grief man. Keep hoping he fails so your boy Mannion gets to play.

Lol so you're calling me a troll. Point out 1 quote of mine that said I hope Goff fails. You can't. Stop making stuff up. Why can't I have a different view on our QB situation cause tbh neither one of us knows who is better. Goff haven't won a game or come remotely close to winning one. Mannion haven't had any opportunities in TC in previous OTAs. So why can't I be excited about him having McVay and staff to teach him too. Lol people are silly it makes me a troll because I don't think Goff was the right choice for this team.

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm not worried about Goff at all . 75% of the veteran QB's would've failed in last year's offense let alone a rookie .
He'll be fine with a decent coach and guys that can catch the ball .

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Excellent post Austin! I took the same away from Brooks' article. I also found it refreshing to read an article where the author actually knew and researched the people he was talking about.

A good article on the Rams and their outlook for the upcoming season.

jap

Legend
So much of the talk against Goff tends to sound so silly given all the negatives he had to deal with last season. One definite positive is that he has been fully exposed to NFL game day speed and knows what he has to do to get rid of the rock in time. It irritates me a bit when I hear anyone talking about Tavon having yet to prove he is a deep threat. Outside of Goff, the only QB capable of finding tiny Tavon amongst the defending 'trees' was Sam, and he & Tavon had such a short amount of actual playing time together. Sam lacks Jared's finesse at lofting the rock, which is necessary to find a tiny target in tight coverage. With Kromer whipping the OL into competitive shape, Gurley burning to re-establish himself as the Man among RBs, and a company of intelligent, talented young fly guys pushing each other to their competitive peaks, Jared is being nicely set up for a season of significant redemption.

Last edited:

Zero

Pro Bowler
I think a lot of QB's who come out of college have the potential to be great, they just need the right system & support.
This is such a good point.Many QB's have come and gone who,if given the right environment
would have been successful.Too many coaches forcing systems on QB's instead of
molding a system around the talent.Of course this is only one variable of many.

holds the ball too long
Wasn't a big problem in college.Probably one of the symptoms from having to think more than play.

the sports world needs to take a breath & give Goff some time before dismissing him, or they all run the risk of hypocrisy when they start jumping over to the "goat" bandwagon if he (and Gurley) gets cranked up in McVay's new system behind Kromer's OL.

Lazy and or Lack of understanding the game.Much easier to read stats and pass judgement
entirely off of them.