bubbaramfan's 8/16 TC Report

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
I'm going to write this out as in a timeline from when I got there to when I left. Bear in mind I'm not a scout or a trained writer and I'm very opinionated. I'm writing what I observed and my take on it. Like all of you, I'm a die hard Rams fan and appreciate all the info I can get about the Rams and I want to return the favor to others that have taken the time to post reports. My turn, (for what its worth).

Got onto the field about 3pm, nice day, about 80F with a slight breeze. Not a lot of people maybe 8 or 9 hundred, couple thousand at the peak of TC. Guys came out and stretched at 3:30 for about 20 min. Defense was in white, Offense blue. Two fields, north and south. they split up into groups and I got the OL nearest me (N field). Havenstien on the field but not in Pads. The rest of OL, including Battle, in pads and shorts. Saffold, Robinson, Donnal and Battle did this thing with a medicine ball, taking snaps coming off a fist on the turf and hitting the guy with the medicine ball against his chest. Never saw that before. Looked to be for Battle and Donnal's benefit. OL worked on zone blocking.
S field. ST work, this was where Fisher was. Punt returns and KO return. Because ST guys come from both O and D, they had return guys wear red caps that fit over their helmets. Cooper , Chase Reynolds, McRoberts, Cunningham fielding returns. Fassell lots of yelling. spent over 1/2 hr on returns. ( no one dropped a ball) I could see staff concentrating on gunners, and interior blocking (the big guys in the middle) mostly who fassel was yelling at.
At the same time @ N field, QB's practice taking snaps from under C ( Barnes, Folkerts, Kush, Rhaney) All QB's looked fliud w/ no missnaps.

4pm horn, field changes. N field LB's DB's and WR's. S field, TE's and QB's. WR's and DB's,LB's bump and run first contact off snap. Db's and WR's really getting after it. GW was right there screaming at Db's. (no soft coverage next Saturday?) Whoever is Wr coach sure gave em hell too. Fisher also came over and put his 2 cents in.that went on for 20 min. Missed what was going on at other field.

4:30 horn, change of drills. N field Offense practiced running plays. Gurley, Cunningham, Brown, Magee, Green. then short passes to RB's most over the middle. Keenum, Goff, Mannion all switched off RB's. Looked like all got same reps. Gurley, Cunningham exelled. Mannion best QB on this drill. OL GRob, Wichmann, Barnes, Brown, Saffold. After five or six plays, OL, Williams, rhaney, Folkets, Reynolds, Donnal.

5pm horn 11 on 11 S field. I had to move to another bleacher so I missed some. 1st team D (minus Quinn, I never saw his # on the field). Hayes, Donald, Brockers, Simms. OL GRob, Wichmann, Barnes, Brown, Saffold. A lot of passes to Gurley coming out of the backfield. Cunningham too. this seemed to be something they concentrated on because they didn't substitute on either side of the ball for, like 15 minutes. Only subs were Keenum for Goff, then Gurley for Cunningham. It was by far the highlight of the practice. Lots of hooting and hollering by the rams players watching on the sidelines. Both RB's have GREAT hands. One of the DB's did get an int though. Very intense. OL pass blocking was very good, both QB's got time. Donald was still his disruptive self, but Barnes stood him up a couple of times. Looking up for OL IMHO.
11 on 11 went on to seam and over the middle with WR's and TE's. Britt and Quick got a lot of attention. All 3 QB's got time with the ones and all looked good. Only drops came from(sigh) Thomas. (Though he did make some catches, one deep from Mannion).

Of the TE's, Higbee gets open and catches everything, Hemmingway got several targets and made some good catches. Harkey is a monster. Standing next to Saffold not much size difference. Austin was all over the place and bounces around like he's on speed. Austin was not targeted a lot though. Marquez and Quick ran sharp routes made good catches. DB Hill got time with 1's, he did a good job sticking with Wr's. Battle got time at RT with 2's. good 45 min scrimmage. Mannion and Goff can both sling it deep. Mannion to Thomas had good deep hookup in endzone. Goff to Quick for good play.

Horn and drill change. N field, OL vs DL DE Seau up against Saffold or GRob, looks like a mismatch, but Seau is a tough quick Hombre. Simms looks slow. My highlight: Battle pancaked Simms and Hayes.

That was pretty much it for the intense stuff. I Got to talk with DeMacro Farr. He seems to think rams talent is there to make the playoffs, but the youth (Rams still youngest team in NFL) and inexperience will take them another season or two before they can put it all toghether for a really good playoff run.

Sorry it took so long to get this up. I hope Rams Fans that read this, get something out of it. I enjoyed the experience, and I thought the Rams practiced hard and with inteseity. I believe they buy into Jeff Fisher, I know some of you don;'t, and I;m on the fence.

I could have posted more, but what I just posted took over 2 hours and I know folks want to hear something about todays practice. I've been on that end more than a few times. any q's post it here.

PS. Spruce was in civies with a brace on his left knee.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Really happy to hear that Hill got moved up for a look. I think he's better than Sensabaugh in coverage, thus a better fit for Williams and he may end up being the 4th CB; really like his skills.

Also like to hear they're pushing hard on the stuff that gave them probs Saturday (DB and special teams coverage). Expected of course but still nice to hear.

At this point got my fingers crossed with Havenstein and Gaines. Those two guys are absolutely crucial to our hopes of seeing this team at its strongest out the gate.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I tried to keep out my personnel opinions and just write what I saw. Fell free to post Q's, I saw a lot more but just couldn;t put it all down. Good q's will give me a mind bump.:football:

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
Great report Bubba. Thanks so much. I hope you had a good time. It sounds like they worked on getting Britt and Quick ready, hopefully for some serious targets this weekend.

MFaulk107

The Realness
This is awesome and much appreciated. Idt you saw Quinn on the field because he is watching his sister in the olypimcs(??) thought I read that couple hours ago.

Did it look as if Goff improved at all? Noticed any great accuracy while he was throwing?

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
Idt you saw Quinn on the field because he is watching his sister in the olypimcs(??) thought I read that couple hours ago.

I just read that. Her last name is Camacho-Quinn and she is running the hurdles for Puerto Rico? Where her mom is from. Half sister? She is 19. Pretty cool for him.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Great report and thanks @bubbaramfan
On the QB's and 11v11 drills....was it about 50/50 shotgun vs behind center snaps?
Especially curious about Goff. I just wonder how slowly (or quickly) they're trying to get him comfortable taking snaps and dropping back vs the more familiar shotgun stuff.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
thanks Bubbaramfan for the nice report. I always have like Corey Harkey. He is huge and seemed never to drop the ball and never got the whole "he has shown me nothing" comments...I know he opened the way for a Gurley on some plays. Higbee may be one of the surprise underrated picks in the NFL.....I am hoping for great Gronki'sih like things from him!:rockon:

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I've got a question bubba.

How many different ways can you cook shrimp?

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
I tried to keep out my personnel opinions and just write what I saw. Fell free to post Q's, I saw a lot more but just couldn;t put it all down. Good q's will give me a mind bump.:football:

Mish-Mash non reporter my ass bubbaram.... That was a great report without all the bells and whistles of trying to over analyze a practice technique or showing bias towards certain players. You have been added to the ROD secret service camp evaluation academy.

A job well done bubba.... (y)

sarcastic-clapping-captain-picard.gif

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thx Florida, you were influential in the shaping of my report. I've read many of your reports at originalherd over the years and respected the way you put what you saw down and left the reader to make their own opinion

I have more to post. I was fortunate to have a conversation with former Ram DT DeMarco Farr. I got some of his thoughts on the CBA, Rams draft (including Goff), and the Rams chances to make the playoffs. I also got to talk with Rams LB Mark Barron, and OL Andy Donnal. I didn't put this up with the report because it's lengthy, and people were waiting For a TC report. I've been on that end far too many times and I wanted to get it posted. Its nap time and I'll post the rest tomorrow.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm going to write this out as in a timeline from when I got there to when I left. Bear in mind I'm not a scout or a trained writer and I'm very opinionated. I'm writing what I observed and my take on it. Like all of you, I'm a die hard Rams fan and appreciate all the info I can get about the Rams and I want to return the favor to others that have taken the time to post reports. My turn, (for what its worth).

Got onto the field about 3pm, nice day, about 80F with a slight breeze. Not a lot of people maybe 8 or 9 hundred, couple thousand at the peak of TC. Guys came out and stretched at 3:30 for about 20 min. Defense was in white, Offense blue. Two fields, north and south. they split up into groups and I got the OL nearest me (N field). Havenstien on the field but not in Pads. The rest of OL, including Battle, in pads and shorts. Saffold, Robinson, Donnal and Battle did this thing with a medicine ball, taking snaps coming off a fist on the turf and hitting the guy with the medicine ball against his chest. Never saw that before. Looked to be for Battle and Donnal's benefit. OL worked on zone blocking.
S field. ST work, this was where Fisher was. Punt returns and KO return. Because ST guys come from both O and D, they had return guys wear red caps that fit over their helmets. Cooper , Chase Reynolds, McRoberts, Cunningham fielding returns. Fassell lots of yelling. spent over 1/2 hr on returns. ( no one dropped a ball) I could see staff concentrating on gunners, and interior blocking (the big guys in the middle) mostly who fassel was yelling at.
At the same time @ N field, QB's practice taking snaps from under C ( Barnes, Folkerts, Kush, Rhaney) All QB's looked fliud w/ no missnaps.

4pm horn, field changes. N field LB's DB's and WR's. S field, TE's and QB's. WR's and DB's,LB's bump and run first contact off snap. Db's and WR's really getting after it. GW was right there screaming at Db's. (no soft coverage next Saturday?) Whoever is Wr coach sure gave em hell too. Fisher also came over and put his 2 cents in.that went on for 20 min. Missed what was going on at other field.

4:30 horn, change of drills. N field Offense practiced running plays. Gurley, Cunningham, Brown, Magee, Green. then short passes to RB's most over the middle. Keenum, Goff, Mannion all switched off RB's. Looked like all got same reps. Gurley, Cunningham exelled. Mannion best QB on this drill. OL GRob, Wichmann, Barnes, Brown, Saffold. After five or six plays, OL, Williams, rhaney, Folkets, Reynolds, Donnal.

5pm horn 11 on 11 S field. I had to move to another bleacher so I missed some. 1st team D (minus Quinn, I never saw his # on the field). Hayes, Donald, Brockers, Simms. OL GRob, Wichmann, Barnes, Brown, Saffold. A lot of passes to Gurley coming out of the backfield. Cunningham too. this seemed to be something they concentrated on because they didn't substitute on either side of the ball for, like 15 minutes. Only subs were Keenum for Goff, then Gurley for Cunningham. It was by far the highlight of the practice. Lots of hooting and hollering by the rams players watching on the sidelines. Both RB's have GREAT hands. One of the DB's did get an int though. Very intense. OL pass blocking was very good, both QB's got time. Donald was still his disruptive self, but Barnes stood him up a couple of times. Looking up for OL IMHO.
11 on 11 went on to seam and over the middle with WR's and TE's. Britt and Quick got a lot of attention. All 3 QB's got time with the ones and all looked good. Only drops came from(sigh) Thomas. (Though he did make some catches, one deep from Mannion).

Of the TE's, Higbee gets open and catches everything, Hemmingway got several targets and made some good catches. Harkey is a monster. Standing next to Saffold not much size difference. Austin was all over the place and bounces around like he's on speed. Austin was not targeted a lot though. Marquez and Quick ran sharp routes made good catches. DB Hill got time with 1's, he did a good job sticking with Wr's. Battle got time at RT with 2's. good 45 min scrimmage. Mannion and Goff can both sling it deep. Mannion to Thomas had good deep hookup in endzone. Goff to Quick for good play.

Horn and drill change. N field, OL vs DL DE Seau up against Saffold or GRob, looks like a mismatch, but Seau is a tough quick Hombre. Simms looks slow. My highlight: Battle pancaked Simms and Hayes.

That was pretty much it for the intense stuff. I Got to talk with DeMacro Farr. He seems to think rams talent is there to make the playoffs, but the youth (Rams still youngest team in NFL) and inexperience will take them another season or two before they can put it all toghether for a really good playoff run.

Sorry it took so long to get this up. I hope Rams Fans that read this, get something out of it. I enjoyed the experience, and I thought the Rams practiced hard and with inteseity. I believe they buy into Jeff Fisher, I know some of you don;'t, and I;m on the fence.

I could have posted more, but what I just posted took over 2 hours and I know folks want to hear something about todays practice. I've been on that end more than a few times. any q's post it here.

PS. Spruce was in civies with a brace on his left knee.

Best camp report so far.. There was alot of interesting tibits in your report. It seems like there are going to be a lot of short routes to the rbs like we saw in game 1 what is your take on this.. with all 3 qbs getting time with the 1s what do you think Fisher wanted to accomplish with that. We were talking about Troy Hill a lot and it seems that Fisher at least want to give him a shot what was your impression of him, do you like him better than some others if yes, why if not why..Thanks again for the great report.

Juice

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Bubba, Thanks a lot for this, man. I really like getting this kind of information. Being where I am at it will be hard just to catch a game live much less practice. I really appreciate it.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Worst TC report ever. ;)

Thanks Bubba!

Looking forward to hearing more of your conversations with those players.

OregonRamsFan

All Horned Up
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Thank you for that great report! You should be a reporter. Very cool that you got to talk to DeMarco. Did he give any opinions on QB situation?

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Well done sir, thank you!! So would you estimate that all three QBs were getting the same amount of reps? Things could be looking up for Mannion....