Bryce Petty

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
I assume its like any other broken bone that once the bones heal its fine. I wouldnt think it would be a problem in the future. Its the same injury that romo had this year. Not really a back problem.

Maybe, maybe not. Romo's back has been a concern for a while, well before this season. I struggle to believe that his previous injuries and his newest one weren't connected. If somebody with medical expertise had any information on whether it could be a further issue, that'd be great. Back injuries are very concerning for me. Just not comfortable with it right now.

Memphis Ram

Legend
To date, this is the only place where I've read that Petty has had back issues prior to the injury this season.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
To date, this is the only place where I've read that Petty has had back issues prior to the injury this season.
Good, maybe we are leaking bad info, so that we could steal him.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay

Maybe I was wrong, in which case I'm sorry. Just repeating what I've heard. Back injuries are still concerning though

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
He had a back injury and one other injury, shoulder maybe?

I am sure team Doctors will check it out thoroughly. I just get wary about Spread offense QBs and linemen. The QB rarely makes more than one read. And the Olinemen rarely block for more than two seconds.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
He had a back injury and one other injury, shoulder maybe?

I am sure team Doctors will check it out thoroughly. I just get wary about Spread offense QBs and linemen. The QB rarely makes more than one read. And the Olinemen rarely block for more than two seconds.

Yeah, I watch Petty and I see

Screen
Screen
Zone read
screen
zone read
go route
screen
crossing route
screen
go route
slant
curl
zone read
screen
screen

I just don't see him running a pro style offense, and that concerns me. I don't see enough of him having to make NFL reads and progressions, or any real tough throws.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Yeah, I watch Petty and I see

Screen
Screen
Zone read
screen
zone read
go route
screen
crossing route
screen
go route
slant
curl
zone read
screen
screen

I just don't see him running a pro style offense, and that concerns me. I don't see enough of him having to make NFL reads and progressions, or any real tough throws.
Sounds like college football.;)

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Sounds like college football.;)

Yeah and it sucks.

Too few teams running Pro style offenses. I understand why but it makes it tougher for NFL teams to evaluate QBs and WRs. I rue the spread offenses. I prefer to see a more conventional game and love to see good defense.

duckhunter

Starter
I'm not a doctor but my generation were the guinea pigs for back operations and they've come a long way baby from butchering people. Let the doctors have their say and usually we won't hear squat at draft time. I'm good with that and won't fear monger or speculate.

What is different about Baylor's/Coach Brile's offense than most spreads is they push the ball downfield to outside receivers more than the quick WR screens that most spread offenses replicate so often. That was why RGME went so high. Watch Petty's work with his one on one WRs connections in the 1st half yesterday. WRs way outside the hash marks on the sidelines. 10 to 20 yards deep but those are the tougher throws where the NFL game is. Petty was the most accurate QB that played yesterday throwing into tight windows or putting it where his guy had the best chance.

Here's the most telling stat (yards per pass play) on yesterday's contestants.

Petty 11.6
Winston 7.3
Mariotti 9.4
C Jones 7.1
Sims 6.6

For comparison purposes, here's your conventional spread with all the screens from TCU game.

Boykin 6.6

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Petty injured his back and is still playing.
That's not to be confused with "injured his shoulder and missed the season"

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I'm not a doctor but my generation were the guinea pigs for back operations and they've come a long way baby from butchering people. Let the doctors have their say and usually we won't hear squat at draft time. I'm good with that and won't fear monger or speculate.

What is different about Baylor's/Coach Brile's offense than most spreads is they push the ball downfield to outside receivers more than the quick WR screens that most spread offenses replicate so often. That was why RGME went so high. Watch Petty's work with his one on one WRs connections in the 1st half yesterday. WRs way outside the hash marks on the sidelines. 10 to 20 yards deep but those are the tougher throws where the NFL game is. Petty was the most accurate QB that played yesterday throwing into tight windows or putting it where his guy had the best chance.

Petty 11.6
Winston 7.3
Mariotti 9.4
C Jones 7.1
Sims 6.6

For comparison purposes, here's your conventional spread with all the screens from TCU game.

Boykin 6.6
Very useful
I didn't see the first half of the game. I want to see it if it re airs
I liked what I saw. Most the passes I saw in the second half were seam and 9 rts. But he looked great at the. Very accurate. It was the out rts to the sideline I really wanted to see.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Petty 11.6
Winston 7.3
Mariotti 9.4
C Jones 7.1
Sims 6.6

Boykin 6.6

Some of those throws Petty made yesterday were outstanding. I just don't know how anyone could watch that game and not see the superior talent, I don't care what system he plays in, he is a legit NFL caliber QB and has stepped up and played well in both bowl games.

If the Rams take him he will need a full year on the bench, and I'm good with that. Hopefully Sam surprises all of us by staying healthy and the Rams will be in very good stead at the position in the following years.

If they take Mariota, or Winston I am good with either despite my fears on Winston off the field. Hundley worries me the most of the guys who will be first three round types, but I do think the Rams are going to do good research and will make a solid choice out of the bunch. All I care about is they address the position in the first three rounds.

duckhunter

Starter
Very useful
I didn't see the first half of the game. I want to see it if it re airs
I liked what I saw. Most the passes I saw in the second half were seam and 9 rts. But he looked great at the. Very accurate. It was the out rts to the sideline I really wanted to see.

I didn't chart it or rewatch and had to go to my sister and brother-in-laws at halftime and finish watching in a group of jocks that know a hell of lot more in football than me. So I missed a little myself.

I understand your interest in out routes and never gave it a consideration. If you rewatch let me know. Thanks.

duckhunter

Starter
Some of those throws Petty made yesterday were outstanding. I just don't know how anyone could watch that game and not see the superior talent, I don't care what system he plays in, he is a legit NFL caliber QB and has stepped up and played well in both bowl games.

If the Rams take him he will need a full year on the bench, and I'm good with that. Hopefully Sam surprises all of us by staying healthy and the Rams will be in very good stead at the position in the following years.

If they take Mariota, or Winston I am good with either despite my fears on Winston off the field. Hundley worries me the most of the guys who will be first three round types, but I do think the Rams are going to do good research and will make a solid choice out of the bunch. All I care about is they address the position in the first three rounds.

Here's a thought, if we watch Manning and are enamored with his consistent identify the one on one, timing with his receivers and under 3 second delivery, that was exactly what we saw yesterday. Right, Wrong or Whatever. that's what 'I' saw. Someone else could have seen something else and add flavor.

Rams0307

I wouldn't take him in the 5th, much less the 3rd. I think he's overrated.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
Looks like a 3rd round choice for the Rams. Petty looked good all year to me!