Bryce Petty visiting w/Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

lockdnram21

Legend
I love the news, glad to see it. Dude has it all and unlike Mariota won't cost us a top 10 let alone first round pick. Draft the kid, Snead, and with a full year Wienke might have him ready to backup in 2016.

The next years draft QBs can be fool's gold, just get a talented kid in here on the roster to learn.
He's going a lot earlier than people think

FRO

Legend
1318521000711.gif

uYvuK.gif
Coach Hines is my favorite.

Leuzer

Daniel Leu
From what I saw, Petty looked good at the scouting combine. He looks like a natural passer and turned some heads from the scouts.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Yeah, I don't like this either.

We can get a starter on the oline where Petty will get drafted.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Is there a list of draftees that are to visit the Rams, or is it all hearsay at the moment?

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
I am a Christian Hackenberg QB Penn State guy. He tailed off last year but has the look and skilset of an NFL starter.
I hope he has a good season and we get a shot at him

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm a huge fan of Petty but think he'll be gone before the Rams draft in the 2nd round.
Next year crop looks solid. I like Hackenburg and Brandon Doughty
Boy, if we only had a bargaining chip, like an extra 2nd rounder next year we could probably move up in the first round.
Oh, wait a minute....

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Is there a list of draftees that are to visit the Rams, or is it all hearsay at the moment?

There will be a full or nearly full list of the 30 allotted in house visits closer to the draft. If I recall correctly, last year the reporters were not able to obtain the full list last year.

If that happens again JT will just quit his job.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I don't pretend to know all about the college quarterbacks available in the mid rounds. But I do think if one grades out to be a possible future NFL starter they should go ahead and draft him this year to start the process of grooming him.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
I don't pretend to know all about the college quarterbacks available in the mid rounds. But I do think if one grades out to be a possible future NFL starter they should go ahead and draft him this year to start the process of grooming him.

here, here - I though they did that last year with Garrett Gilbert but, hey, we cut him and the Pats picked him up... so who knows maybe we don't need a QB to win in this day and age?

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
Quite a few I'm interested in seeing more of. But to keep it short and sweet, these are the guys at the top of my "watch" list:
  1. Cardale Jones QB Ohio State
  2. Jared Goff QB California
  3. Jeremy Johnson QB Auburn
  4. Gunner Kiel QB Cincinnati
  5. Carson Wentz QB North Dakota State
  6. Christian Hackenberg QB Penn State
But that's hardly an exhaustive list. Just the guys I'm most excited about seeing more of.

It's really night and day as a class when compared to this one...or appears that way right now.

I'll tell you this...it's going to be so much fun watching these guys next year. Goff reminds me a bit of a young Sam Bradford. Whereas Cardale Jones has a lot of Daunte Culpepper to his game. And the other guys on the list all have first round potential as well. Except possibly Wentz. I haven't seen enough of him yet...but the measurables are there.
Where is Connor Cook #18 from Michigan State my #1 pick next year and Dak Prescott from Miss State??? These are the guys with Hackenburg PSU( I have rated) much higher with much more playing time for the Pros's than C. Jones' big game win.

With our NEEDS at OL this year I think Petty is now being pushed into the end of round #2 and I pray we have him as our 3rd rounder . I love the mental toughness of the kid from East Carolina Shane Carden who had over 30 td's to 10 interceptions and right at 5000 yards his last two seasons and won on the road against Virginia Tech who beat the National Champ Ohio State last year as there only loss and he DID NOT impress at the Senior Bowl but is best on game day and I liked what he did in the game with the few reps he did get. One good qb scout I like thinks he has what we need with Weinke's help and he has been working with Weinke for a while now also in off seasons. We could get him in 5th round I think. Leaving us 1-4 to address OL and BPA.

Last edited:

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I sure hope they're looking at Bryce Petty because there's about seven freaking quarterbacks in this entire draft. We will be giving them all a good look. Curious @jrry32 you have mentioned waiting for next years class at qb. What specific qb(s) were you thinking about?
I'd pick a QB every year, until we hit on one. There is no reason not to draft a QB, if the value catches up with the pick at any time in this draft. I love Petty's arm, hate his feet. He owns a nice tool box. Seems for now on, that almost every QB, will need to develop a little more than they used to, until the college game changes again.

Winston is the only guy that I think is close to being game ready. I think Hundley, Mariota, and Petty, will all need to sit, learn, and be patient. I'm glad that they are looking, and have talked to almost every draftable QB in this draft, and my hope, is that they'd continue to do that.

It was reported that the Rams had interest in the MSU kid, had he come out. He made the right decision to stay though.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
There will be a full or nearly full list of the 30 allotted in house visits closer to the draft. If I recall correctly, last year the reporters were not able to obtain the full list last year.

If that happens again JT will just quit his job.
:cry::cry:( Blue Font!)

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd pick a QB every year, until we hit on one. There is no reason not to draft a QB, if the value catches up with the pick at any time in this draft. I love Petty's arm, hate his feet. He owns a nice tool box. Seems for now on, that almost every QB, will need to develop a little more than they used to, until the college game changes again.

Winston is the only guy that I think is close to being game ready. I think Hundley, Mariota, and Petty, will all need to sit, learn, and be patient. I'm glad that they are looking, and have talked to almost every draftable QB in this draft, and my hope, is that they'd continue to do that.

It was reported that the Rams had interest in the MSU kid, had he come out. He made the right decision to stay though.

Agreed and this is the way forward for winning teams in the NFL now. Start drafting your next QB of the future early and develop the guy, given the prevalence of non-traditional offenses in college. Look at the Pats, that is exactly what they're doing and if they don't think Garoppolo has starter ability (which I suspect is the case, that they don't believe in him) they will be looking hard at both Petty and Hundley at the end of the first and if not then certainly in the second round.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Where is Connor Cook #18 from Michigan State my #1 pick next year and Dak Prescott from Miss State??? These are the guys with Hackenburg PSU( I have rated) much higher with much more playing time for the Pros's than C. Jones' big game win.

I've seen Cook. I don't like him. Needs to improve a lot for me to consider him early in the draft. Prescott just isn't a first round talent in my book. Not a good enough passer.

I'd take Cardale Jones over either by a good margin. I'd take Jones over Hackenberg right now too...although there's no denying Hackenberg's talent if he can get everything together.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I've seen Cook. I don't like him. Needs to improve a lot for me to consider him early in the draft. Prescott just isn't a first round talent in my book. Not a good enough passer.

I'd take Cardale Jones over either by a good margin. I'd take Jones over Hackenberg right now too...although there's no denying Hackenberg's talent if he can get everything together.
I'd bring Cardale Jones, home to meet my parents.

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH

Jrry32 I understand your the top draft analyst on this board and nothing wrong if us RAMS fans disagree on a few things. I fully respect your opinions and love to read all your posts. Jones had a great game against Bama and can't wait to see what happens with OSU and the competition next season. I'd of loved him to come out so we could of had a shot at him with work he could be special or He could bust as a few others have that have gone his route flashing and needing more past work.

Sorry but I also am glad Cook went back for Senior year and him wearing that #18 it may be history you can't stop(Gabriel) as Cook can do just what we need and he is one tough kid. Seen him take a hit on his knee that should have snapped his leg and he just shook it off and he does wear a brace on that leg now for extra protection no injury. He throws into windows and has a great deep ball and has touch like Warner had and yes he has as many things to correct but I have to say most other popular scouting sites have him #1 and I liked him long before others discovered him.

The good margin quote is not fair to me. Hackenburg is gonna be special too. I think there will be teams after Dak Prescott also. Other ram boards back me up so I know I'm on no limb here. Its just I just started posting here and you are the resident expert. Lets see what happens this year as so much can change. Hope I can bring this post back next year as if we can't fix our O-Line we'll have a good shot at Cook next year and maybe with an extra #2 we can get MY guy. Maybe a miracle happens and a line comes together and we get everything from Foles we saw in 13 again. I just know he is weakest when he holds the ball and I like that he keeps his eyes downfield and when releasing within 2.2 second his completion % is awesome. He may get a big payday from us.

I'd also lay a wager Prescott will have his suiters in the 1st round next year also. Yes he has to shorten his delivery and stop playing the Tebow game but they have had the same coach coaching him that coached Tebow into 2 National Championships. I won't disrespect you on your board but besides his Highschool career and 4 games you talk big about Jones. I even wish we had a shot at him if he came out but there IS TONS left to learn on C. Jones . He was a 3rd stringer on the team for a reason. You've never seen him behind a bad line without a great run game like I have with Cook and its a lot to learn how a QB does with garbage at his feet.

Thats why I see what no one else see's in Carden out of East Carolina who I think has the mental game needed for the pro's and he has won come from behind games and on a not so great team to put it mildly. Plus Carden can be taken when we want to take him and not overdraft like we would have to to get Petty who is rising. Another plus is Weinke has been working with Carden for a while and we have NEEDS on the OL as everyone knows.Playing with EVERYTHING is easy as C. Jones has had and two more athletic guys broke records and one if not injured could have won a Heisman that beat him out on his own team . Want to see the guy without all the supporting cast as we will see with both of this years QB's.