Bryan Burwell passed away

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff
Is it up on the PD?
http://www.stltoday.com/sports/colu...cle_729ce51b-92b1-5394-995d-72f1a8a4819a.html

The first time I met Bryan Burwell, we were both kids in the newspaper business, working for competing newspapers in Baltimore. This was the late 1970s, and I was blown away by him. When Burwell walked into the room, he owned it. The man had presence. He was handsome, charismatic, engaging and had a way to put everyone at ease. His laughter could part the clouds and summon the sunshine to the spot where he stood. And he loved to talk. Goodness, did he love to talk. And I already miss that voice, and that epic laughter.

Back in the early days, I remember thinking: I want to be Burwell.

I wanted to be Burwell because he was such an immense, superior talent. He viewed writing as a craft, polishing every sentence in an attempt to turn his words into diamonds. I wanted to be Burwell because he was the coolest dude in the press box. Sportswriters circled around him. If Bryan didn't initiate a conversation, it always found him, and soon enough he'd be at the center of it. The hub.

It always happened that way, because when you take someone that has so much love for sports, and so much love for other people, and so much love for his chosen profession – then the result is pure, irresistible magnetism. So you'd find Burwell in the middle of the crowd, where the energy swirled, dispensing his old-school wisdom and lathering that epic laughter on top of the conversation.

Day in and day out, Bryan Burwell was the happiest person you could find in any press box, or in a media work room. In a profession of notorious grumps, he was good for morale. You'd show up, and grouse about something, and Burwell would turn and smile, offer support, and then get to work on repairing your mood.

And you didn't have to be a media star, or a colleague, or a longterm friend to get Burwell's attention or empathy. He always treated nervous young journalists with respect and caring, giving them so much of his time you'd think these kids were Pulitzer Prize winners. Burwell didn't care about your status, or where you ranked on the ladder of journalism. If you shared a press box with Burwell, you were his equal. And if you needed his advice, he would patiently and generously offer it. There was no time limit on his kindness.

Until the end of his life, Bryan maintained the kind of enthusiasm that often wanes when sportswriters and broadcasters have been in the industry for a decade or two. Well, it was impossible to diminish his joy or take away his laughter. Not until Thursday, when this great man and cherished friend and colleague died too soon at age 59, succumbing to the evil cancer that he couldn't conquer.

We're all in a daze now. Bryan's special wife Dawn and their beautiful daughter Victoria are devastated by his death, and we ask that you please keep them in your prayers.

The last few months have been agonizing. Bryan had been diagnosed in October, suddenly and without much warning. It was cruel. And it was hopeless. But oh man, how he tried to fight it.

When I received the stunning news of the cancer, the Cardinals were playing the Giants in the National League championship series. I was at AT&T Park in San Francisco. I headed out to the McCovey Cove area above right field. The park wasn't open to the public; the first pitch was several hours away. And I cried like a blubbering-baby fool as I wrote a heartfelt email to him.

Burwell's response: “Stay positive. I'm going to kick this thing's butt,” he told told me in a text message.

You see, this is how it worked with Bryan. He went out of his way to provide comfort and good cheer to others, even as he coped with the horrific, unavoidable reality of a terminal illness.

Sports columnists can be rivals, and the relationships can turn sour, but this was never the case with Burwell. No chance; he wouldn't let it happen. We worked alongside each other at the Post-Dispatch since 2002, and we had two disagreements – and needless to say, I was at fault both times. But Bryan always forgave me … with a hug.

In his final weeks, members of the Post-Dispatch sports department became Team Burwell and made visits to his home, usually carrying food to help Dawn through such an excruciating time. On some days, Bryan felt well enough to greet visitors, and it was special to hang out with him for a few hours. At other times, he was too weak to welcome company.

As a staff, as friends, we did what we could. We peppered him with text messages during games. We asked him for advice on what to write. We told him how much we missed his voice on our sports page. We prayed that he'd soon return, to grace his profession and our lives.

The last time I saw Burwell, I brought him some Maryland-style crab cakes that I'd prepared (a mutual love of ours) and Bryan was full of energy and spirit. It renewed our hope, if only briefly. We knew this sad day was coming. But we weren't ready.

How can you be ready for something like this?

Burwell saw the best in everyone, but he had the courage to take a stand and express a strong and unpopular opinion. And as you probably can understand, it wasn't always easy being an outspoken African American sports columnist who didn't hesitate to take a stand. I cringe at the memory of some of the emails he received; you can only imagine. He would show a few to me every now and then and it made me crazy with anger. But you know what? The nastiness couldn't take Burwell down. The viciousness probably stung him more than he'd let on, but he'd brush it off and continue being Burwell. A first-class man, all the way.

Astounded by his relentless civility, I once asked him: Why do you respond to people who are so vile and hateful? I'll never forget Bryan's answer. “Because they took the time to write,” Burwell said. “That's the first thing. The other thing is, I can't change the world we live in. But by having a conversation, I can try to change one heart at a time.”

And he meant it. Burwell put that into practice, every single day.

Burwell never lost sight of something important: He was doing exactly what he wanted to do, and he savored every moment, and he never stopped appreciating the experience — all of it, the good and the bad.

Bryan gave an interview to a young journalist a few years ago, and summed it up perfectly.

“The funny thing is I’ve had all my dream jobs,” he said. “I’ve been really fortunate. I’ve done a lot of stuff in my thirty some-odd years in the business. I’ve covered countless Olympic games. I’ve been to the NBA Finals. I’ve been to every Super Bowl since Super Bowl XVIII. I’ve been a columnist. I’ve worked for Real Sports. I’ve worked for Inside the NFL, CNN and TNT. I’ve been very, very, very lucky. I’ve truly been blessed. I’m enjoying everything. When I look back, I’ll be able to say no regrets, man. I did OK.”

I'll have to disagree with my dear friend one last time.

You did OK?

Please.

No, Bryan Burwell.

You did a lot more than “OK.”

As a journalist in newspapers, TV and radio, you were a giant in your chosen field, and you were the kindest person that we ever encountered in this ornery, complex, ego-overloaded business.

And that is why so many people are aching inside today. Your reach expanded from coast to coast, and touched more people than we could possibly quantify. You made our corner of the sports world a much better place.

Thursday morning, after the sad news of Bryan's death made its way onto Twitter, the immediate outpouring of love from media colleagues, sports executives and athletes from New York to Los Angeles — and all places in between — was amazing. But not surprising. This was one helluva human being.

Now that Bryan is gone, the press box will never be as warm again. It will be a much quieter place. I'm headed to Atlanta for the SEC Championship, and I'd give anything to sit next to him one more time. During Saturday's game I'll probably close my eyes, and hope to hear that famous, wondrous Burwell laughter. This is impossible, and this is cruel, and this is crushing. But I do know this: The familiar echo of that sweet, soul-replenishing laughter will always live in our hearts. He'll never really leave us.

Obit: Nobody loved game day more than Bryan Burwell

Reactions from around the country to Bryan Burwell's death

Sign an online guest book for Bryan Burwell

Jeff Gordon: Mourning the loss of a remarkable colleague

Aisha Sultan: The best things I learned from Bryan Burwell had nothing to do with sports

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
RIP. Don't live in STL but I've read quite a bit of his stuff as a Rams fan, and he always seemed to have well written thoughtful things to say. I've heard he's an even better person. He will be missed. Cancer is the worst.

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff
Loved to hear Frank talking about him today. Many good things about Mr. Burwell. Funny things too between him and Frank. They did a show together for those outside the St. Louis area. Frank damn near broke down a couple times and I don't blame him..

[av]http://www.insidestlaudio.com/Pressbox/120414-1PB.mp3[/av]

Linkage..

http://www.insidestlaudio.com/Pressbox/120414-1PB.mp3

Athos

Legend
Never cared for his writing, but no one really deserves to go out against cancer. I fucking hate that bitch. Lost one aunt to it and another is battling it as we speak.

Hope he has fun hanging with all the sports greats up there.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
We were talking earlier about sportswriters not being fans of their local team. I never got that from him. He always seemed to enjoy the Rams and the Cardinals as much as we do, even when we sucked. RIP.

rdw

Pro Bowler
Wow, that was very unexpected. Far too young. RIP Mr. Burwell.

RamBill

Legend
Bernie Bit: Redskins will honor Bryan Burwell
• Bernie Miklasz

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/colu...cle_29291919-48cf-59a1-bfb0-1db8d338500b.html

Good morning from Atlanta ...

Washington Redskins VP Tony Wyllie texted late last night to inform me of the team's plans to honor late Post-Dispatch sports columnist Bryan Burwell at Sunday's Rams-Redskins game at FedEx Field. Washington will leave a seat in the press box empty and mark the spot with Burwell's name.

And there are plans to have a moment of silence for Burwell, who died of cancer Thursday morning at age 59.

Leaving a seat open for a fallen sportswriter may not seem like a big deal, but in our business it's considered a special honor — and greatly appreciated by the scribes and broadcasters.

Because of his illness Burwell had been unable to attend the Rams' last two home games, the wins over Denver and Oakland. Bryan has an assigned seat in the Dome press box, but no sports writer or media person sat there during the last two games. We tried to keep it open as a gesture of respect to our beloved teammate.

This is a classy gesture by the Redskins. Bryan grew up near Washington D.C. and followed the team during his childhood. I know this would mean a lot to him.

I'm not surprised by the Redskins' kindness here. Wyllie worked in the Rams media-relations department for several years in the mid-late 1990s. During his time here Wyllie was a terrific professional who treated the STL sports media with respect. Wyllie was friendly with Burwell and understands the depth of love and respect that our profession has for Bryan.

On behalf of the Post-Dispatch and STLtoday sports staff, I'd like to thank Washington owner Dan Snyder, our friend Wyllie and the Redskins organization for being so thoughtful. It means a lot to us during this difficult time.

We'd also like to thank the St. Louis sports teams, especially coach Jeff Fisher and the Rams, who have been so gracious in the aftermath of Bryan's passing.

I'd suggest that the pressbox at the Edward Jones Dome be named in Burwell's honor — better yet, let's wait to do it at the new St. Louis football stadium that Burwell pushed for over the past few years.

Thanks for reading ...

— Bernie

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman

I know this isn't the time or place to complain about StL Post Dispatch being tacky, but they make you fill out a survey to read this tribute article on Bryan Burwell. I hope my family doesn't charge admission to my funeral. Shame on you Post Dispatch, BB's memory deserves better than that.

RIP Bryan. I always enjoyed your work, especially "Upon Further Review"! My deepest sympathies to Burwell's friends and family.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Bernie Bit: Redskins will honor Bryan Burwell
• Bernie Miklasz

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/colu...cle_29291919-48cf-59a1-bfb0-1db8d338500b.html

Good morning from Atlanta ...

Washington Redskins VP Tony Wyllie texted late last night to inform me of the team's plans to honor late Post-Dispatch sports columnist Bryan Burwell at Sunday's Rams-Redskins game at FedEx Field. Washington will leave a seat in the press box empty and mark the spot with Burwell's name.

And there are plans to have a moment of silence for Burwell, who died of cancer Thursday morning at age 59.

Leaving a seat open for a fallen sportswriter may not seem like a big deal, but in our business it's considered a special honor — and greatly appreciated by the scribes and broadcasters.

Because of his illness Burwell had been unable to attend the Rams' last two home games, the wins over Denver and Oakland. Bryan has an assigned seat in the Dome press box, but no sports writer or media person sat there during the last two games. We tried to keep it open as a gesture of respect to our beloved teammate.

This is a classy gesture by the Redskins. Bryan grew up near Washington D.C. and followed the team during his childhood. I know this would mean a lot to him.

I'm not surprised by the Redskins' kindness here. Wyllie worked in the Rams media-relations department for several years in the mid-late 1990s. During his time here Wyllie was a terrific professional who treated the STL sports media with respect. Wyllie was friendly with Burwell and understands the depth of love and respect that our profession has for Bryan.

On behalf of the Post-Dispatch and STLtoday sports staff, I'd like to thank Washington owner Dan Snyder, our friend Wyllie and the Redskins organization for being so thoughtful. It means a lot to us during this difficult time.

We'd also like to thank the St. Louis sports teams, especially coach Jeff Fisher and the Rams, who have been so gracious in the aftermath of Bryan's passing.

I'd suggest that the pressbox at the Edward Jones Dome be named in Burwell's honor — better yet, let's wait to do it at the new St. Louis football stadium that Burwell pushed for over the past few years.

Thanks for reading ...

— Bernie
The Redskins and Snyder get a lot of flak for classlessness even outside of the debate over the team name.

But this is pretty classy right here.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
Just wanted to add my thoughts to this. I said already in another thread I was just thinking about how much I liked the guy compared to some others at hte PD - went to the site and saw this tragic news. Prayers for Bryan Burwells family and friends. Really did seem like a class act.