Bruce to Rams fans: Show up --PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RamBill

Legend

Bruce to Rams fans: Show up

• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_6b24e31f-5d89-56b3-b6c6-672df3fa9bca.html

Isaac Bruce is no stranger to relocation rumors. Some of the same things he’s hearing now about the possible move of the Rams to Los Angeles, he heard in reverse 20 years ago as a rookie wide receiver.

“I remember the day coach Rich Brooks stood up in front of the team (in Anaheim) and said, “It’s solidified. We’re moving. We’re going to St. Louis.”

Those words didn’t come until the spring of 1995. But there were rumors of the team’s departure throughout the ’94 season.

“The thing that really surprised me were the no-shows at the games on Sundays,” Bruce said, speaking of that ’94 season. “I think the biggest mistake that the Los Angeles area made was just saying c’est la vie, so to speak. ‘Go your way.’ Now they’ve been crying for a team all these years. I think St. Louis can learn a big lesson from them.”

And that’s where Bruce, who loved his time in St. Louis and still does charity work here for his foundation and owns property here, offered words of advice for Rams fans in the Gateway City.

“The biggest way to show a team that you love ’em is to show,” Bruce said. “Show up. Even in the worst of times. Show up. Say, ‘We need a team.’ I mean, you don’t want to be a city that’s been marked with losing two franchises.

“And definitely with a team that you embraced when we first came here in 1995. It’s only been 20 years. Twenty years is a short time. So get behind this team and show the upper brass how much you love this team.”

The point Bruce was making is that empty seats and no-shows can make relocating a self-fulfilling prophecy. Fans get upset over the possibility of moving, not to mention the team’s poor showing, and start staying away from the games.

Detractors seize on this as a sign of poor fan support, and use it as a reason the team should be allowed to move. Beginning with the Monday night game at the Edward Jones Dome against San Francisco, several out-of-town football analysts have pointed out the thousands of empty seats in the Dome.

The Rams have averaged 57,000 tickets distributed per game in the 66,000-seat Dome this season. Since the team’s 15-65 freefall from 2007 through 2011 — the worst five-year stretch for any team in league history — the Rams have had trouble getting that last 5,000 to 10,000 fans back in the building.

Still, those attendance numbers hold up well compared to the last few years of the Rams in Southern California. Playing in the nation’s second-largest market, the Los Angeles Rams had 16 crowds of fewer than 50,000 in their last 24 games in Anaheim, from 1992-94. In eight of those 16 games, attendance was less than 40,000 — this for a franchise that had played in the NFC championship game as recently as 1989.

The last thing Bruce wants is to see the Rams leave St. Louis for LA, particularly if empty seats give league owners a reason to vote in favor of the move.

“It would be really sad,” Bruce said. “I believe we can get it done. We can get it back together and grow what we have. Make it stronger than what it was.”

Bruce was among nearly 50 Rams players in town last week for the Super Bowl XXXIV reunion. Several mainstays of that 1999 team were asked by the Post-Dispatch for their thoughts on the possibility of the franchise leaving.

Bruce’s running mate at wide receiver, Torry Holt, called the LA rumors “heartbreaking.”

“Because I know this city loves football,” he said. “We saw it first-hand. There’s a lot of talk about this being a baseball town. And it is, and that’s understandable.”

But not so much from 1999-2004, a six-season period in which the Rams made the playoffs five times, won three NFC West titles, played in two Super Bowls and won one Lombardi Trophy.

“From ’99 to 2004, they loved St. Louis Rams football,” Holt said. “It was a football town. We’ve just gotta get back to winning. Get back to winning.”

The Rams haven’t had a playoff appearance since 2004, when they squeaked into a wild-card berth with an 8-8 record. They haven’t had a winning season since 2003. Only Oakland has a longer current futility streak, having gone since 2002 without a winning record.

“Hopefully they’ll keep the team here,” Holt said. “But I understand business. LA’s a large market.”

Left tackle Orlando Pace, who has settled in St. Louis in retirement, said St. Louis is home in spirit for all of the Greatest Show on Turf Rams.

“This is where we had that success,” Pace said. “This is where everything happened. So if the team left, it would be almost like the (football) Cardinals.

Meaning the players from the St. Louis Cardinals after Bill Bidwill moved the team to the Phoenix area in 1988.

“They don’t feel like they have a home,” Pace said. “We’d feel the same way. So hopefully they stay in St. Louis, where we won a championship.”

Quarterback Kurt Warner says he can see how LA would be “a natural fit” if the Rams moved there because of the team’s history and tradition in Southern California. He remembers seeing several thousand Rams fans in the stands sporting “Los Angeles Rams” gear when the Greatest Show teams played in San Francisco.

“But I also understand what a great sports town St. Louis is,” he said. “And how this town deserves a team. They deserve a winning team. And how special it was to be able to bring that winner here.

“So my hope and my selfishness is that the Rams are always in St. Louis, because that’s the only way I know the Rams. And it would be weird to be a part of a team that was somewhere else.”

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
Bruce is right, if people don't show up, the team will leave. The games are still "sold out", but only because opposing fans are buying tickets for 10 bucks on stub hub, and they are selling 3 dollar beers.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
I understand the frustration of the fan base in St. Louis, but I would be there as often as I could, hoping each game for what happened lat Sunday...I've suffered a lot in the past 50+ years, but I take new hope each and every week...I've kind of developed at least a little renewed faith that maybe this is finally beginning to turn around...I've seen a lot of good things the past 4 games...The biggest thing I would like to see now is this group put together a 60-minute game instead of the 30-minutes efforts they have been able to put together...They hold it together for 3 or 4 quarters, they can play with just about everybody in the NFL...Come on, Rams, make it happen...

theramsruleUK

Pro Bowler
I totally understand that apathy has set in among a fair few St Louis residents who are reluctant to sink money into a team that could be relocating.
On the other hand, if they did sink money into the team, it shows that fans are still ready to support their team and theres probably a better chance of them staying.

A winning season would really help

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
Saw a lot of the other teams fans in the lower bowl prime seats and was wondering whats up with that? Is it season ticket holders cashing in on them by selling at a premium? Can't stop it if true but that seems like profiteering to the detriment of the rest of the fans!

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Other teams fans buying tickets doesn't matter to anyone but the fans. What Kroenke would want to see is the empty seats filled, no matter who is in it.

This is a big reason why being in the NFC West has hurt the Rams and St.Louis. None of our "rivals" are within driving distance...the natural rivalry fails to exist and so does the ability for fans to travel to each others stadiums in larger numbers.

The opposing fans seem to congregate in the same couple sections when they come to the dome. Also, the biggest group of opposing fans I've seen have been the Packers and the Bears...and a close third the chiefs. All are much closer in proximity than any of our division foes.

The problem with getting that last 5-10 K Rams fans back is that the team is miserably bad and the atmosphere at the dome is terrible when they aren't winning. I'm as big a die-hard as anyone else here but I'd be lying to you if I said there weren't Sundays that I wished I had just stayed home and watched on TV...what keeps me going back is that I know I might not have this chance much longer and I feel like I can hold to a little hope and do my part by showing up.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Other teams fans buying tickets doesn't matter to anyone but the fans. What Kroenke would want to see is the empty seats filled, no matter who is in it.

This is a big reason why being in the NFC West has hurt the Rams and St.Louis. None of our "rivals" are within driving distance...the natural rivalry fails to exist and so does the ability for fans to travel to each others stadiums in larger numbers.

The opposing fans seem to congregate in the same couple sections when they come to the dome. Also, the biggest group of opposing fans I've seen have been the Packers and the Bears...and a close third the chiefs. All are much closer in proximity than any of our division foes.

The problem with getting that last 5-10 K Rams fans back is that the team is miserably bad and the atmosphere at the dome is terrible when they aren't winning. I'm as big a die-hard as anyone else here but I'd be lying to you if I said there weren't Sundays that I wished I had just stayed home and watched on TV...what keeps me going back is that I know I might not have this chance much longer and I feel like I can hold to a little hope and do my part by showing up.

I dunno, Philly and Dallas have a heck of a rivalry and they are not exactly next door to each other. Fact is the city only follows this team if they win. So they are not fans, they are just frontrunners. If you only show up when you have a good or great team, then you are not a fan. Just ask the Browns or Bills fans what they do year in and year out. They are fans, we have spectators who only show interest if the team is a winner.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Saw a lot of the other teams fans in the lower bowl prime seats and was wondering whats up with that? Is it season ticket holders cashing in on them by selling at a premium? Can't stop it if true but that seems like profiteering to the detriment of the rest of the fans!
Sorry to say this but there are people from this area who attend the games in visitors gear no matter who we are playing,they are contrarians who delight in f-ing with local Rams fans .
When we exited the parking lots caught in traffic on Lacledes I saw a guy wanting to pull out of his lot ,he was wearing a Seahawks jersey ,at first I was going to let him go, but then I looked at his license plate and he was from IL ,it wasn't a new enough to be a rental, so I didn't let him out:p I figured f-him if he won't support the Rams he can wait.
I also think behind the visitors bench teams will reserve tickets for the visiting team to sell out of their ticket office ,I know it used to be that way but never having gone to an away game I don't know if that's still the case.
I wished a few Seahawk fans a nice flight home after the game :cool:

Big Game

Living The Dream

yes i was at the Seattle game and have been at every game all season. But on the visitors side of the dome. Some ticket holders are cashing in and selling there tickets. On one hand you really can't be made at them on the other it kinda ticks you off to see so many visiting fans in great seats.

iBruce

Pro Bowler
Name
Cory
Bruce is right, but it's also true fans would be showing up if the team were winning. I've seen it happen throughout this year at the Royals stadium. Same song, different tune.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
All I can say is that Sunday's game was pretty embarassing. All those empty seats? You're playing the defending Superbowl champs in your building, and you cant get fans to attend? My wife watched a couple minutes of the game with me, (she revels in my weekly misery watching them) and at one point she asked me in a confused tone, Which one of these teams wears Red? I said neither. She said then why do I see mostly Red in the stands? I just shook my head

Status
Not open for further replies.