Bruce provides presence for young Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

biggame1190

Starter
Name
CB
http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/105709/bruce-provides-presence-for-young-rams

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- Isaac Bruce holds nearly every meaningful receiver record in Rams franchise history and during his 16-year career earned a reputation as one of the game’s savviest wideouts.

When the Rams hired Jeff Fisher as coach in January of 2012, Fisher made it clear that alumni would be welcomed to Rams Park with open arms. Bruce was right at the top of the list.

Considering the fact that the Rams don’t have a single wideout on the roster who has more than two full years of NFL game experience, any additional presence that can help receivers coach Ray Sherman is a welcome addition.

So Bruce has spent the better part of the past week observing, offering advice and generally serving as a resource for the young wideouts.

Bruce has been participating in many of the team activities since his arrival in St. Louis. He attends meetings, sits in on film sessions, works with players during practice and has even spent time getting in extra work with the young wideouts after those sessions are over.

“I think they wait on and listen to my opinion,” Bruce said. “I just tell the guys what I think and how I would run a route against this coverage or how I would attack the football versus that pass being thrown. They just sit on it and kind of wait for it. I sit in the back and I sneak up and then all eyes start looking at me.”

The Rams will keep five or six receivers on the final roster and Bruce offered me his thoughts on the five that are almost certain to make it.

“I’m pretty impressed,” Bruce said. “I think they’ve added some speed, some quickness, some separation, some guys who have a lot of room for growth but they are willing to make those steps to improve. I like the group as a whole.”

On Chris Givens: “To me, he’s not as herky jerky as he was last year,” Bruce said. “He’s made up his mind on who he wants to be as a football player. He’s a guy who can explode off the line of scrimmage. His transition from running the route to catching the football has gotten a whole lot better and his confidence is up.”

On Austin Pettis: “He is a starter right now,” Bruce said. “He’s not a guy who is just kind of glad to be here anymore. From what I see, I think he’s got the mentality of a No. 1 receiver and that’s big. If you are going to be a dominant guy in this league, I think that’s the right mentality to have.”

On Brian Quick: “That’s what we are working on right now is having him be more consistent,” Bruce said. “Like I said, for that guy we are just building an identity of just coming in every day and figuring out who he is and what type of football player he is and letting him know he can play at a high level and he belongs. I think that’s working out for him.”

On Tavon Austin: “The thing that blows me away is his willingness to learn,” Bruce said. “He’s pretty hungry as far as knowledge is concerned. From my background of playing this game, the more wisdom you have, I think the more success you’ll have, even over talent. Your talent starts to fade but the more you know, you can stay in this game a long time and have a lot of success.”

On Stedman Bailey: “The guy is from my hometown and he knows what it is to play competitively as far as football is concerned,” Bruce said. “I think the guy is going to make big plays. I keep telling him every day you are here for a reason. They drafted you for a reason so go ahead and tap into that potential and be all you can be.”

Bruce will attend one more practice Tuesday afternoon before departing Wednesday.

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff
Thanks my friend.. A very good read.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I guess Rev. doesn't want to be tied to a 9-5 job ,cuz I'd think if he wanted to be he could be our WR coach

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Bruuuuce... he's just gotta get on the field anyway he can!!! Some things are too great to be away from for very long. Love to see T. Holt on the sideline, too. This team is one happy family.

Young Ram

Hall of Fame
Speaking of Bruce this Young Ram got himself an autographed Bruce Jersey!

p1yn.jpg

99pa.jpg

BRUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCE!

jap

Legend
The Rammer said:
Is Holt going to stop by to?

Fish indicated Torry will be around later on.

I just love the fact that one of the most complete NFL receivers is sharing his vast wisdom & knowledge with our talented youngsters. I hope Isaac is also teaching these young kids, especially Brian Quick, how to block. Isaac's personal best record for blocks in a single game is 14 pancake blocks! Can you imagine our entire team blocking like that when guys like Tavon or Isaiah have the ball in their hands?

I really would love to see Isaac spend extra time with Sted & Chris and accelerate those young men's growth. To show those kids how to sell DB's on the idea that you are receiving the ball when you are only a decoy, thereby attracting 2-3 DB's and leaving the primary guy in 1-1 coverage can be huge.

Tavon already has Bruce's ability to cut at a 90-degree angle at full speed, a Barry Sanders-esque move that few players ever had. I am not sure if Chris can do it, although he certainly possesses elite speed.

To avoid getting blown up in traffic, especially for little big man Tavon, it would be nice for Bruce to share his technique of corralling the rock while sliding to the turf. It's a Lynn Swan-esque move that Bruce carried to a higher level. One scout once said Isaac made that Lynn Swan-esque move more times in his first three years than Lynn had in his entire career.

I like Torry, but I love the Reverend (even though he doesn't like to be called that). I am not a big time collector of sports jerseys in the least, but the only two I ever bought were those of Marshall Faulk and Isaac Bruce.