Bruce Arians would only come out of retirement for the Browns head coach job

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
https://www.cantonrep.com/sports/20...hing-job-he-would-consider-touts-chuck-pagano

Bruce Arians says Browns only coaching job he would consider, touts Chuck Pagano
By Steve Doerschuk

giphy.gif

Two-time NFL Coach of the Year Bruce Arians says Cleveland is the only place that could lure him out of retirement. Arians also touts Chuck Pagano, with whom he worked when the Browns led Pittsburgh in the only playoff game of the expansion era.

CLEVELAND: Back in the days when Bruce Arians was offensive coordinator of a Browns team that forged a 17-point lead in a playoff game at Pittsburgh, he would joke about growing old.

“It has been a long time since I was the ‘boy wonder’ head coach at Temple,” he would say. He was 30 when the Owls hired him in 1983.

When Arians visited Cleveland on Sunday as a TV analyst, it had been a long time since he was fired after the Browns’ 2003 season, only to resurface in Pittsburgh and eventually coordinate the offense in the Steelers’ run to Super Bowls capping the 2008 and 2010 seasons.

Then, after Pittsburgh’s 2011 season, in a haunting reminder of Cleveland, in a move first presented (to his dismay) as a retirement, the Steelers fired him.

The “retiree” was on his way to being one of the more colorful head coaching personalities in recent NFL history. While that cycle ran its course in Indianapolis and Arizona, Cleveland remains a serious topic to him.

During a break from the CBS booth Sunday, in a conversation in the press box, we asked Arians if he would consider becoming a head coach again.

“Cleveland is the only job I would consider,” he said, and it was no surprise if you know his background.

Arians has made it clear Cleveland is the one head coaching job he really wanted. He has been around, seeing with his own eyes how it was when the old Browns were winners. His first NFL boss was Marty Schottenheimer, who told him stories.

Current Browns general manager John Dorsey has vowed to awaken this “sleeping giant.”

In 2002, Arians helped splash water on the giant’s face. The Browns reached the playoffs. They had a big lead at Pittsburgh. It got away. Years later, the giant snores.

Arians has told us his view of why the lone playoff game of the expansion era got away. Namely: Defensive coordinator Foge Fazio wanted to go for the jugular, attacking Pittsburgh, seizing the day. Davis wanted to play a prevent, and, being the head coach, prevent it was.

Davis relieved Fazio of his command during the second half.

Internal discord is not new. Fazio was fired immediately after Davis’ prevent didn’t work (the Browns lost 36-33). The 2003 season sagged. The day after it ended, Arians was fired and replaced by wideouts coach Terry Robiskie, who a year later became interim head coach after Davis quit late in the season.

Now, the Browns’ head coaching job again is in interim status. Gregg Williams is 0-1 after a 37-21 loss to Kansas City.

What does Arians imagine the Browns will do if they opt not to stay with Williams? Arians opined that the pool of candidates with a chance to succeed is “thin.”

Amid a clamor to hire a boy wonder, Arians says Cleveland instead needs an experienced NFL coach who would embrace Cleveland’s unique challenges.

Arians smiled when asked his age.

“Sixty-six,” he said.

Hire experience. We mentioned to Arians that a Mike Mularkey type might appeal to Dorsey. Mularkey has had three NFL head coaching jobs, most recently with a Titans team that beat the Chiefs in a playoff game in January.

“My guy would be Chuck Pagano,” Arians said.

Pagano, 58, was hired in Cleveland the same year as Arians, 2001. He lasted through the 2004 season, eventually became defensive coordinator in Baltimore, then was hired as head coach of the Colts. Pagano hired the “retired” Arians as offensive coordinator for rookie No. 1 overall pick Andrew Luck (Arians had been Colts “OC” in 1998, when Peyton Manning was a rookie No. 1 overall pick).

After Pagano was diagnosed with leukemia. Arians became interim head coach in Week 5, and the Colts had a 9-3 record on his watch.

Pagano healed and was Indy’s head coach through 2017, fired with a record of 56-46, including 3-3 in the playoffs.

The 2012 Colts were the talk of the league. The Pagano-Arians tag team took over a team that had gone 2-14 and, under great duress, went 11-5.

Cleveland had an opening in 2013. Arians wanted in. After the new Browns owners appointed Rob Chudzinski, Arians took his first full-time NFL head coaching job with the Cardinals, who had posted one 10-win season in the previous 25 years.

Arians put up records of 10-6, 11-5, 13-3, 7-8-1 and 8-8. After the 2017 season, he actually did retire.

As he mentioned, there is one job for which he would consider coming out of retirement.

What about Pagano? His background is on defense, in a league that has been taken over by offense.

Hiring Pagano might be a means of securing a certain former boy wonder as offensive coordinator.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

Giant turd?

giant-inflatable-poop__79464_.jpg

Last edited:

Psycho_X

Legend
Arians sitting at home thinking he might coach again... "which teams are desperate enough to hire an aging coach with not much left? Cleveland and Buffalo.... well... snows a little less in Cleveland. Time to act like its the only job I want."

Cleveland is desperate enough they'll take anyone who wants to be there probably.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
He would be the first smart hire in a decade, I'm thinking browns hire a MLS coach and continue to make dumb decisions .

Or they could just leave Greg William's as the coach, he is always entertaining

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Hahahahahahaaaaa

Perfect place for both of those dinosaurs...

Keep that factory of sadness open Cleveland !

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I'd love for Cleveland to become winners and if it was with Arians or Pagano, so be it.

I just hope they don't try to replicate the McVay experience because McVay is unique. Trying to go the boy wonder route can be worse than going the Fisher route...just ask the 9ers.

Ellard80

Legend
Arians is a hot head on the sidelines.

But as an offensive coach I think he is pretty solid.

Luck and Palmer blossomed in his system.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Cleveland can have that asshole. I don't see Arians and Pagano as being that successful. Pagans would be a meh type of hire IMO.

fearsomefour

Legend
Makes sense really.
A young talented QB to work with.
They have some pieces in place there.
Sort of a nonpessure gig as no one would expect a title.
Heck getting the Browns competitive and to .500 in two years you'd be a hero.
Actually make the playoffs one year and he'd be a folk hero in Cleveland forever.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I like to root for the Browns but I’m not sure I could keep that going if Arians coaches them.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
In other news:

I will only skydive if I can do it in a thunderstorm, pull the cord over the Bermuda Triangle, and tandem jump with Rosie O’Donnell.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
In other news:

I will only skydive if I can do it in a thunderstorm, pull the cord over the Bermuda Triangle, and tandem jump with Rosie O’Donnell.

Okay, i got two of those details worked out. Now we just gotta work out a thunderstorm and we’re good to go!

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
I never understood the Arians hate when he was a head coach. 4 years ago I would've traded him for Fisher in a heart beat. Third string qb and injured line up? No problem, still a contender.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
Okay, i got two of those details worked out. Now we just gotta work out a thunderstorm and we’re good to go!

How’d you get Rosie to agree?! I promised her a bouquet of donuts and that I’d laugh at her horrible jokes, and she STILL turned me down.