Bruce Arians with the foot in mouth

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Bruce Arians says football is 'being attacked' and he blames moms
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on...football-is-being-attacked-and-he-blames-moms
"We feel like this is our sport. It's being attacked, and we got to stop it at the grass roots," Arians said on Friday, according to NBC Sports Radio's AM 1060 Phoenix. "It's the best game that's ever been f------ invented, and we got to make sure that moms get the message; because that's who's afraid of our game right now. It's not dads, it's moms."

Oh Bruce....

PARAM

Hall of Fame
He's a great offensive mind. He's a great motivator. But when it comes to common sense, apparently he's the equivalent of the village idiot. What do you expect from a guy who has devoted 16-18 hours a day, 7 days a week, 12 months a year to his job? He's got no idea what people out there are concerned about when it comes to CTE and football.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
It's the best game that's ever been f------ invented, and we got to make sure that moms get the message

Yes, that's how we get our message across to moms, by using the F-word.

stupid.gif

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
He's a great offensive mind. He's a great motivator. But when it comes to common sense, apparently he's the equivalent of the village idiot. What do you expect from a guy who has devoted 16-18 hours a day, 7 days a week, 12 months a year to his job? He's got no idea what people out there are concerned about when it comes to CTE and football.
People have "ALWAYS" known Football is a Hard-Nosed tough game! If you can't stand the Heat (Getting beat on!) stay out of the Kitchen!! F--K Bleeding Heart Libs who are only trying to show "THEY CARE!" with all this BS CTE stuff!! JMO "I too Love the Game of Football!!"
You want to talk about CTE Talk to Boxer's!! I was one in my youth!

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
People have "ALWAYS" known Football is a Hard-Nosed tough game! If you can't stand the Heat (Getting beat on!) stay out of the Kitchen!! F--K Bleeding Heart Libs who are only trying to show "THEY CARE!" with all this BS CTE stuff!! JMO "I too Love the Game of Football!!"

Dude CTE is very, very real. It's not BS and it may end up being the death of one or two of your favorite Rams players.

And FYI most football players have more contact in a few seasons than a boxer has in a career. Especially LB's and OL. They are hitting on every play!

Now think about the repetitions from HS to college and then a career in the NFL. That's a lot of hits.

Again, CTE is very, very real.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay

We learn as we go. There was a time we didn't know how bad boxing was for you either. Or smoking. Or working in mines.

I love it too and I think players are perfectly capable of assuming the risk - but I do think it's important that they understand the risk.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Dude CTE is very, very real. It's not BS and it may end up being the death of one or two of your favorite Rams players.

And FYI most football players have more contact in a few seasons than a boxer has in a career. Especially LB's and OL. They are hitting on every play!
I never said CTE wasn't real, It's just a problem you have to think about coming into the Game, Play or QUIT!!

And Pardon My language, But Your full of shit, about Boxing!! Tell that to people Like "Ali" "Forman" " Sugar Ray Leonard" !! I had 8 Fights in the Marine Corps before I stopped, Don't compare Football and Boxing in this conversation!

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
He's not wrong. Maybe he should've said it better and used the words parents instead of singling out mom's.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I never said CTE wasn't real, It's just a problem you have to think about coming into the Game, Play or QUIT!!

And Pardon My language, But Your full of crap, about Boxing!! Tell that to people Like "Ali" "Forman" " Sugar Ray Leonard" !! I had 8 Fights in the Marine Corps before I stopped, Don't compare Football and Boxing in this conversation!

Right there you said "all this BS CTE stuff". What is someone who reads that to take from that other than your opinion is that CTE is BS from "bleeding heart libs". So you meant something totally different than what you wrote, that's not on me that's on you.

Also you are completely and totally incorrect about the boxing thing. Now I am NOT saying boxers can't have the same issue, clearly they can or the term punch drunk wouldn't have been invented decades ago. But it's nowhere near what the cumulative damage football often does.

Every lineman and many LB's get contact to the head on essentially every play. Sometimes 2 times or even 3 times per play depending on what happens. That's 40, 50, 60 or whatever times per game for someone on the DL or OL, and it could be more.

A boxer MIGHT get hit that many times in the head in some fights but not very many since if an opponent lands that many likely the fight is over from TKO or KO. Also they won't have 200 fights or 300 fights, they may have 50 if they have a LONG career. That's less than 3 NFL seasons. Imagine a guy that plays 8 years. That's 128 games. That could easily be over 5,000 hits to the head.

Now figure in college, High School, Jr. High, Pop Warner, full pad practices.

An article I read about CTE that was more focused on the cumulative effects rather that simply the concussions pointed out that a player doesn't even have to have a concussion once in their career to develop CTE later in life because of the thousands of hits taken from Pee Wee to Jr. High to HS to college to the NFL.

By the way I boxed when I was younger, Golden Gloves.

Boxing doesn't compare to the head trauma a lot of positions in the NFL endure. It's not even a legit conversation.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Right there you said "all this BS CTE stuff". What is someone who reads that to take from that other than your opinion is that CTE is BS from "bleeding heart libs". So you meant something totally different than what you wrote, that's not on me that's on you.
So now that you've put me in my place, I hope you feel better! I have better things to do than argue, this^ with you !

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Every lineman and many LB's get contact to the head on essentially every play. Sometimes 2 times or even 3 times per play depending on what happens. That's 40, 50, 60 or whatever times per game for someone on the DL or OL, and it could be more.

A boxer MIGHT get hit that many times in the head in some fights but not very many since if an opponent lands that many likely the fight is over from TKO or KO. Also they won't have 200 fights or 300 fights, they may have 50 if they have a LONG career. That's less than 3 NFL seasons. Imagine a guy that plays 8 years. That's 128 games. That could easily be over 5,000 hits to the head.

Now figure in college, High School, Jr. High, Pop Warner, full pad practices.

An article I read about CTE that was more focused on the cumulative effects rather that simply the concussions pointed out that a player doesn't even have to have a concussion once in their career to develop CTE later in life because of the thousands of hits taken from Pee Wee to Jr. High to HS to college to the NFL.

It's not just "the plays". It's the contact in practice AND the games. They're really still learning about the total cumulative affects, how fast they come on and how severe. Mike Webster (the ground zero death for CTE) retired after the 1990 season. He died 12 years later but he had been "acting strange" for years before his death.

CTE is real and it is connected with football. They also suspect soccer may have a similar problem to a lesser degree. Many people connect concussions to CTE and there's a link. But from all I've read, they believe the real danger is subconcussive contact over the course of a career. And lineman are the guys who sustain the large majority of those subconcussive hits.

To those folks like DaveFan'51, I agree, there's a choice that is made not unlike that of a race car driver (immediate death/ severe injury) or prize fighter (punch drunkeness). You know the risks (or with the acknowledgement that CTE exists and the cause, they're learning the risks) and they are fairly well compensated for it. But I won't take the cold "play or quit" approach. Some of these kids that play football see it as a way out of poverty and for many it is in fact the only way out. As far as parents go, some may see it the same way as the kid, possibly having lived an entire life in poverty, and think it's worth the risk. Others may figure it's better to do something you love to do, whatever the consequences. And still others may prevent their kid from playing.

In any event, I think Ariens might be smart to tone it down just a bit because despite the NFL's attempts to make the game safer, they attempted to hide this problem and in many cases continue to deny a connection. It is truly a threat to the existence of NFL football as we know it, though that will take some time.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
It's not just concussions, but now there's research that's showing the cumulative damage of sub-concussive impacts over time.

Big hits and concussions are a big problem, but so are the little hits that add up...maybe even more so. People respond to the big hits and the big hits show obvious symptoms.

The analogy may be like boiling frogs. Apparently (not into french/creole cooking), if you boil a frog starting out with cold water, the frogs won't try to hop out of the pot as the water warms and then boils them. If, however, you put the frogs into boiling water directly, they will react violently.

A person may react rapidly to violent impact, but without this research, we may not see players respond to the "everyday cumulative impacts".