"Bruce Arians says leaps over line dangerous, 'bad for football'

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ramer

Been a Ram fan too long to quit now
Arians, told SiriusXM NFL Radiothat officials wanted player leaps on field goal attempts made illegal but the NFL's competition committee decided not to change the rules.

"The competition committee went through that play, and officials wanted it taken out," Arians said in the interview. "The committee left it in, but it cannot be officiated. Whether he touches, whether it was leverage, was his foot within the framework of the defensive lineman's feet before he jumped, all those things that go into that call, I think it's bad for football.

"Because what you're going to have to do now is start having centers raise their face up and get kicked in the face and things that are just dangerous to the players. I think it's a dangerous play as it is and should be taken out of the game."

NFL vice president of football Dean Blandino explained Tuesday in an interview with NFL Network why Wagner's leap Sunday night wasn't penalized.

"There's contact, and then there's incidental contact," he said. "He can run up and jump, but he can't land on players. Now if he brushes a player or brushes a teammate with incidental contact, that would be legal

So he's gonna run, jump and clear the line, block the kick. You look at the TV copy replay, and you can see that there is some contact. His foot is going to brush the back of the snapper, but that is not significant contact. It's incidental. He didn't land on players. So that's what made it legal."

Arians was furious after Sunday night's 6-6 tie with the Seahawks, saying that because Wagner touched Cardinals long-snapper Aaron Brewer as he hurdled him both times, flags should have been thrown. Cardinals kicker Chandler Catanzaro had his 39-yard attempt blocked in the second quarter and ended up missing the 24-yard attempt in overtime.

"I'm sure I'll talk to the league and we'll get some kind of explanation that is all bulls---, like normal," Arians said.

On Monday, Arians said he discussed the play with the NFL.

"I've already talked to the league, and it's illegal to comment on officiating," Arians told reporters.

What a wuss! if his team had blocked the field goal he would be flapping his jaws saying what a great play

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...s-leaping-field-goal-block-tries-bad-football

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Sorry, but I have to agree with him. It's a total dog shit play. Someone is gunna have a broken neck and then another rule by the NFL is going to be enforced. Besides lifting the center up to block the guy, how are you supposed to defend that? Then you're going to have kicks blocked by your own linemen.

The Rams invented this and I'm against it. It should be illegal.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Bruce Arians says "leaps over line wearing a stupid red hat in public and being a jerk is dangerous, 'bad for football'

fearsomefour

Legend
Haha.
Being athletic and making good plays are now bad for football.
Ol Melon Head doing his thing.
Might have to mix up the snap on kicks....actually have the holder call the snap. So far this has happened once successfully in about 100 regular seasons games this year.
You know what else is bad for (your) football team Ol Mellon Head? Blown blocking assignment on a punt that led to a blocked punt and a kicker missing chippies.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
On Monday, Arians said he discussed the play with the NFL.

"I've already talked to the league, and it's illegal to comment on officiating," Arians told reporters.

What a wuss! if his team had blocked the field goal he would be flapping his jaws saying what a great play
I agree with you completely! WHAT-A-WUSS!!
Laughing.gif

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Sorry, but I have to agree with him. It's a total dog crap play. Someone is gunna have a broken neck and then another rule by the NFL is going to be enforced. Besides lifting the center up to block the guy, how are you supposed to defend that? Then you're going to have kicks blocked by your own linemen.

The Rams invented this and I'm against it. It should be illegal.
Sorry But I disagree, It's an exciting Play. And when it's done perfectly, like the Rams Play, It's a thing of beauty!

darenbates_635x250_1414990036.jpg

" Darren Bates, 'PERFECTION', I wish I had the Video!!

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
I don't expect this to be flagged until somebody actually gets a nasty neck injury.

Debacled

Starter
Might as well make it illegal to leap over defenders when carrying the ball as well...

I mean, that is just as dangerous right?

Arians is a blow hard that is just upset he got beat on that play. Wah wah wah not fair wouldn't get any steam so he is going to cry wah wah wah not safe.

If you want to fix it have a less predictable cadence when snapping the ball. If defenders know they can time the snap you better believe they will take advantage of that.

Ramer

Been a Ram fan too long to quit now
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Might as well make it illegal to leap over defenders when carrying the ball as well...

I mean, that is just as dangerous right?

Arians is a blow hard that is just upset he got beat on that play. Wah wah wah not fair wouldn't get any steam so he is going to cry wah wah wah not safe.

If you want to fix it have a less predictable cadence when snapping the ball. If defenders know they can time the snap you better believe they will take advantage of that.

Yup...no more leaping over the goal line (blue fonts)

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
"They used a legal play to keep us from winning. I want that outlawed IMMEDIATELY!"

Stfu Santa.