Bruce Arians: Jonathan Cooper won’t start, hasn’t earned it

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
Bruce Arians: Jonathan Cooper won’t start, hasn’t earned it
Posted by Michael David Smith on September 4, 2014, 8:55 AM EDT
02d9747639c243d8a701ea3c287c21d0-e1377410399234.jpg
AP
When the Cardinals chose Jonathan Cooperwith the seventh overall pick in last year’s NFL draft, he was viewed as one of the best guard prospects ever. But Cooper missed his entire rookie season with a broken leg, and now he’s not even starting as his second season begins.

Cardinals coach Bruce Arians said the reason Cooper is on the bench is simple: Ted Larsenhas earned the starting job by out-playing Cooper in training camp and the preseason.

I don’t care about draft status,” Arians said, via the Arizona Republic. “I want to see the results on the field, and Ted Larsen’s way outplayed [Cooper].”

Larsen was a sixth-round pick of the Patriots in 2010 but was cut before the start of the preseason. The Bucs picked him up and he played the last four years in Tampa Bay, and after the Cardinals signed him this year, he played well enough that he’s now a starter.

As for Cooper, it’s too early to call him a bust. Arians said that the broken leg and a turf toe injury in the preseason have slowed Cooper down, but the Cardinals still believe in him.

“He’s going to be a heck of a player. It’s just a matter of time and taking the right approach with him and letting him get healthy,” Arians said.

Maybe some day Cooper will be a heck of a player. Right now, he’s not as good a player as Larsen.

jjab360

Legend
You mean it's not a requirement to start top 10 draft picks right away, and it's actually okay to let them take some time to get acclimated to the NFL before throwing them out there to the wolves? What an odd, radical concept.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
If he was beaten out for an offensive line job on the Cardinals, he wasn't worth the top 10 draft pick.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Other than hes had 2 years to learn the system and the playbook.

True, but sitting in a classroom studying the playbook isn't the same as learning it on the field. Granted, I'm hoping he's a bust since he plays for a divisional rival, but I'm not going to write him off yet.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Other than hes had 2 years to learn the system and the playbook.
Right.

Also know what coaches are looking for. Clearly he had enough time to find the directions to Arians dog house, and he followed them explicitly.... Yes, a year on the bench is pretty valuable. Robinson is going to play in game #1, just wont have the official "starting" designation. I'd love for him to prepare for the speed of the game on the sidelines a bit

Demand n 1

" Let the cool water take me under"
Name
doc
You mean it's not a requirement to start top 10 draft picks right away, and it's actually okay to let them take some time to get acclimated to the NFL before throwing them out there to the wolves? What an odd, radical concept.
I might be thinking there is a blue font with the quote and that we are referring to Greg Robinson as the "top 10" nonstarter. Sorry if neither is true, but it is actually odd, radical for a #2 not to start. We have to go back through 8 draft classes to find a #2 who didn't start. What is amazing is, it was Calvin Johnson who broke the string and it was Jason Smith who kept it alive.
I think GR will play and play well Sunday and on Sundays for many years to come.

jjab360

Legend
I might be thinking there is a blue font with the quote and that we are referring to Greg Robinson as the "top 10" nonstarter. Sorry if neither is true, but it is actually odd, radical for a #2 not to start. We have to go back through 8 draft classes to find a #2 who didn't start. What is amazing is, it was Calvin Johnson who broke the string and it was Jason Smith who kept it alive.
I think GR will play and play well Sunday and on Sundays for many years to come.
And we only have to go back to last year and one pick lower to find a no.3 overall pick who didn't start right away. It happens. There's no point in forcing a guy in there who isn't ready, doesn't make him any less of a player, just needs some more time to develop. So no, it's not that odd or that radical.

ViperLjs

Rookie
I'd be a fairly concerned about this if I were a Cardinals fan... he's had ample time to learn the system at this point, and while he is essentially a "redshirt freshman" in the league, I would expect a guy who was touted as being one of the best guard prospects ever to beat out a journeyman. If the level of play Arians saw was even close, Cooper would probably be starting; this means that not only did Cooper not play as well as Larsenhas, but got blown out of the water.

This is a very different situation from Robinson; Cooper has had an entire year+ to learn the system and should be expected to make fewer mental mistakes, and is also playing at his natural position.

Mick

Pro Bowler
I heard a great quote on the radio today....."The best type of athletic ability to have is...AVAILABILITY" It sorta goes with the old saying that ya can't make the club from the tub....seems being on the field doin' it can't be replicated in the classroom. This is true for life in general...can't remember how many times something I learned in college bore nearly zero resemblance to real life out in the jungle...and to get this back on topic....I think Grob is going to be just fine....and a stud.

Cardncub

Rookie
I'd be a fairly concerned about this if I were a Cardinals fan... he's had ample time to learn the system at this point, and while he is essentially a "redshirt freshman" in the league, I would expect a guy who was touted as being one of the best guard prospects ever to beat out a journeyman. If the level of play Arians saw was even close, Cooper would probably be starting; this means that not only did Cooper not play as well as Larsenhas, but got blown out of the water.

This is a very different situation from Robinson; Cooper has had an entire year+ to learn the system and should be expected to make fewer mental mistakes, and is also playing at his natural position.

From what I've seen & heard it has nothing to do with not learning the playbook but getting over the mental hurdle of fracturing his leg. Big difference. He is playing like he is scared to re-injure his leg. There was another thread about Bradford & the same concerns. When players get injured like that they have a tendency to not play like they did before. Mentally scared. They try & protect the injured area.