Bruce Arians: “I play to win”

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

tavian

Not me.I am waaaay uglier
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

The point I guess I'm trying to make here is:As long as the rams continue their ultra conservative play calling
on offense when the game is on the line or when we have a lead.We will not win anything.I'm not talking offensive
philosophy in general.Im talking about pivotal moments in the game.How many times have you seen our offense go into a shell
when we should be attacking.(3 runs up the middle and a missed 47yd field goal against Minnesota)Our coach coaches not
to lose instead of coaching to win.ala Marty Schottenheimer.I understand the hatred for Arians,but you have to admit the man coaches fearlessly.Something Fisher could stand to do from time to time.The thing I don't understand is how we can play that way on defense
and special teams ,but not on offense.You can call it luck if you want to,but whether they make it to the super bowl or not,one thing's
for sure Arians will attack relentlessly.He may go down but he will be going down swinging.not laying down ala Jeff Fisher.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
The point I guess I'm trying to make here is:As long as the rams continue their ultra conservative play calling
on offense when the game is on the line or when we have a lead.We will not win anything.I'm not talking offensive
philosophy in general.Im talking about pivotal moments in the game.How many times have you seen our offense go into a shell
when we should be attacking.(3 runs up the middle and a missed 47yd field goal against Minnesota)Our coach coaches not
to lose instead of coaching to win.ala Marty Schottenheimer.I understand the hatred for Arians,but you have to admit the man coaches fearlessly.Something Fisher could stand to do from time to time.The thing I don't understand is how we can play that way on defense
and special teams ,but not on offense.You can call it luck if you want to,but whether they make it to the super bowl or not,one thing's
for sure Arians will attack relentlessly.He may go down but he will be going down swinging.not laying down ala Jeff Fisher.

It is all situational IMO. McCarthy has been very successful in Green Bay. I felt he should have gone for two and put the game away. He played it safe and lost. But that is what he was comfortable with.

tavian

It is all situational IMO. McCarthy has been very successful in Green Bay. I felt he should have gone for two and put the game away. He played it safe and lost. But that is what he was comfortable with.
McCarthy is the same way.look what he has in Green Bay.what has he done .I saw him lose a playoff game a couple years ago.I
cant remember who it was against,but his ultra conservatism lost him that game as well.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
McCarthy is the same way.look what he has in Green Bay.what has he done
Won a super bowl and 5 divisional titles. 110=59-1 record. You're off base here. GB is not a conservative team. If anything they have failed to establish the running game in big games and have gotten themselves into trouble that way. That and they haven't put enough talent into the defense over the years. The one year they won it all(2010) their D was dominant and the offense barely finished in the top 10.

tavian

Won a super bowl and 5 divisional titles. 110=59-1 record. You're off base here. GB is not a conservative team. If anything they have failed to establish the running game in big games and have gotten themselves into trouble that way. That and they haven't put enough talent into the defense over the years. The one year they won it all(2010) their D was dominant and the offense barely finished in the top 10.
k.bad example

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
"Conservative" is an overplayed term. The run game can make an offense very potent when executed. Fish is commonly thought to be wrong but he is not. A power run game is a great way to ease the opposing rush and make a passing game diffficult to defend.

The Rams just do not execute well. Which is terrible when you have a back who can take it to the house from anywhere on the field. Some of that has been due to talent, and some has been poor gameplanning and coordination.

Conservative is not the problem. The problem is that this offense still cannot execute a power run offense.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter

Who do the Rams have on offense that can cause any coach to go down swinging rather than play it conservatively? I understand your point but look at the lack of weapons. What QB, WR, or TE did the Rams have this season or in the past few seasons that would inspire taking chances?

When you have mediocre players on offense, what would you do?Personally I'd establish the running game and use the QB as a game manager and minimize any chance of turnovers and/or penalties.

Once we have an accurate QB and players who can catch the ball with some consistency, ala the GSOT, then heck yeah, open up the game and take chances.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
What a novel idea... Play to win. Never thought of that. Arians is an a$$clown!

tavian

"Conservative" is an overplayed term. The run game can make an offense very potent when executed. Fish is commonly thought to be wrong but he is not. A power run game is a great way to ease the opposing rush and make a passing game diffficult to defend.

The Rams just do not execute well. Which is terrible when you have a back who can take it to the house from anywhere on the field. Some of that has been due to talent, and some has been poor gameplanning and coordination.

Conservative is not the problem. The problem is that this offense still cannot execute a power run offense.

I'm not talking offensive
when we should be attacking.(3 runs up the middle and a missed 47yd field goal against Minnesota)

jap

Legend
Shut your face, Arians! We're cheering for Larry---not your boring fat behind!!!

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Kudos to Tavian...

Hell yes I would take Arians as our HC over Fisher! In a heartbeat.

Same with these others...

Carroll
Harbaugh
McCarthy

And any other HC that got his team into the playoffs. They're all winners and Fisher has been a 4 year loser. Most overrated HC in the league.

Yeah, Arians is aggressive. I LOVE that in my HC. Arians got away with a few coaching mistakes vs the Packers, but he DID win. In a very dramatic way, at that. He's 14-3 this year and counting. What's not to like about that record?

It's been 14 agonizing years since the Rams put up numbers like that.

He's 33-15 in the regular season since he arrived in Arizona. Looks pretty damned good from my recliner, that's for sure.

One last thing. Yeah, Arians has been known to pour it on. But so has Martz. Yet Martz was a Ram hero and Arians is a POS. C'mon...

Q729

Legend
One last thing. Yeah, Arians has been known to pour it on. But so has Martz. Yet Martz was a Ram hero and Arians is a POS. C'mon...
Of Course! That's what we do as Rams fans. We hate the opposition with a passion! We aren't supposed to be unbiased, full of integrity sports media figures! And yes, you're absolutely right. Fisher is a loser. We all hate on him too for that. Hmm, guess we are unbiased after all! ;)

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
McCarthy is the same way.look what he has in Green Bay.what has he done .I saw him lose a playoff game a couple years ago.I
cant remember who it was against,but his ultra conservatism lost him that game as well.

you're thinking of the game against the seagulls last season. in the 2nd half it was like they forgot they had arod as the qb. didn't try to do shit until they needed to score at the end and arod moved them down the field with ease. it was most possibly the most sickening display of coaching i have ever seen.

tavian

you're thinking of the game against the seagulls last season. in the 2nd half it was like they forgot they had arod as the qb. didn't try to do crap until they needed to score at the end and arod moved them down the field with ease. it was most possibly the most sickening display of coaching i have ever seen.

Thanks. your memory is better than mine.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Actually, his clock management at the end of regulation was just stupid. Better lucky than good I guess!

His clock management was actually quite smart. That fade to Fitzgerald ices the game if it's caught. People hate when Fisher plays not to lose but then criticize another coach for having some balls. He didn't want Green Bay getting the ball back because Rodgers is one of the few QBs in the NFL that is a threat on a hail mary.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Hell yes I would take Arians as our HC over Fisher! In a heartbeat.

Same with these others...

Carroll
Harbaugh
McCarthy
Not directed at YOU personally Rams43 (y)

I agree with you in pure football terms, yet for all the hate Carroll and Harbaugh have taken on this board over the last few years, neither one of them has ever displayed a complete lack of respect for the Rams like Bruce Arrogance has. Pre-game, post game...wherever or whatever. I've heard it from Carroll/Harbaugh. I'll go find the pressers if you want.

Show some pride in your team beyond football. All we ever hear is F the Seahawks and F the Niners. Guess what? The Cards have walked over the Rams quite a bit in the last few years. Check the division standings. They're a rival. This is why i don't understand the lovefest movement for Arians and the Cards on this board. If you respect Arians i get that. He's a good HC....but then you must respect Carroll and Harbaugh, and they've had even more success.