Bruce Arians: “I play to win”

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

tavian

Not me.I am waaaay uglier
This is how you coach a ballgame.Kick'em in the nuts till they bleed out of their mouth.
win,lose,draw, coach to win.We could use a little bit of that mentality.

Posted by Michael David Smith on January 17, 2016, 6:33 AM EST
cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznptg5otdjzdjjmdc1ntbiztc2yzi3mmi4ztm4yze1odm0.jpeg
Getty Images
If the Cardinals had lost last night, there would be a lot of talk this morning about risky calls that didn’t pay off. On offense, Arizona threw an incomplete pass late in the game that stopped the clock, when a safe run would have taken another 40 seconds off the clock. On defense, Arizona blitzed on the Packers’ Hail Mary at the end of regulation.

But if you think Cardinals coach Bruce Arians is going to second-guess himself over those two calls, you don’t know Bruce Arians.

“I play to win,” Arians said.

Arians said the decision to blitz on the Hail Mary is his. Cardinals defensive coordinator James Bettcher was planning to go into the typical prevent defense that teams use on Hail Mary attempts, and Arians overruled him.

“Most teams play the prevent,” Arians said. “That’s what Betch was going to play. I said, ‘Hell no. Blitz him. [Aaron Rodgers] made a great throw. I thought that Calais [Campbell] was held, but it still ended up being a touchdown.”

It ended up being a touchdown that could have cost the Cardinals their season, but Arians isn’t the kind of coach who worries about the worst thing that could happen. Arians is the kind of coach who thinks the best thing will happen. And in the end, for the Cardinals, it did.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
Actually, his clock management at the end of regulation was just stupid. Better lucky than good I guess!

diggity

Rookie
This Guy might me a good HC and motivator.
But, I've seen the Cards throw the ball deep leading by 25-30 with 5 and less minutes left in games. A Buddy Cards Fan says that Ariens says he'll never pull off the accelerator.
But, Ariens forgets something...class means something in the face of obvious victories.
Unless Ariens continues his stupidity from last night...and stops the clock for his opponents late in the game.
GO RAMS!!!!

tavian

Not me.I am waaaay uglier
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
This Guy might me a good HC and motivator.
But, I've seen the Cards throw the ball deep leading by 25-30 with 5 and less minutes left in games. A Buddy Cards Fan says that Ariens says he'll never pull off the accelerator.
But, Ariens forgets something...class means something in the face of obvious victories.
Unless Ariens continues his stupidity from last night...and stops the clock for his opponents late in the game.
GO RAMS!!!!

reminds me of Martz a little bit.Maybe not as crazy as Martz,but same mentality

Q729

Legend
"I play to be reckless and lose and act like an entitled prick when it goes my way"

JoeBo21

Hall of Fame
If that's the case then i assume you'd take Pete Carroll too right? Harbaugh?

whatever gets us to the playoffs man.. Bruce is cool with me.

Between those two clowns I'll take Harbaugh but have thought about the possibility of Pete coming back home to LA depending on what happens in Seattle. who knows

D L

Rookie
Name
Dylan
It's really a shame because Arizona is a likeable team, but I can't stand their fatass old loud mouth coach.

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
He's a good HC but he was also handed a stacked roster.Carson and that defence is the key to that team.

Q729

Legend
It's really a shame because Arizona is a likeable team, but I can't stand their fatass old loud mouth coach.
To me, they are likeable as the loveable losers. I'd probably be happy with them winning after we had a nice run of success. I suppose a lot of it is envy of their surprise rise when, in my eyes, it was supposed to be our turn. Maybe not realistically with who we had, but time-wise. With that said, it doesn't change the fact that I hate that guy.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
And yet he is probably going to lose next week to a team that runs the F out of the ball and plays great defense...

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
This is how you coach a ballgame.Kick'em in the nuts till they bleed out of their mouth.
win,lose,draw, coach to win.We could use a little bit of that mentality.

Posted by Michael David Smith on January 17, 2016, 6:33 AM EST
cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznptg5otdjzdjjmdc1ntbiztc2yzi3mmi4ztm4yze1odm0.jpeg
Getty Images
If the Cardinals had lost last night, there would be a lot of talk this morning about risky calls that didn’t pay off. On offense, Arizona threw an incomplete pass late in the game that stopped the clock, when a safe run would have taken another 40 seconds off the clock. On defense, Arizona blitzed on the Packers’ Hail Mary at the end of regulation.

But if you think Cardinals coach Bruce Arians is going to second-guess himself over those two calls, you don’t know Bruce Arians.

“I play to win,” Arians said.

Arians said the decision to blitz on the Hail Mary is his. Cardinals defensive coordinator James Bettcher was planning to go into the typical prevent defense that teams use on Hail Mary attempts, and Arians overruled him.

“Most teams play the prevent,” Arians said. “That’s what Betch was going to play. I said, ‘Hell no. Blitz him. [Aaron Rodgers] made a great throw. I thought that Calais [Campbell] was held, but it still ended up being a touchdown.”

It ended up being a touchdown that could have cost the Cardinals their season, but Arians isn’t the kind of coach who worries about the worst thing that could happen. Arians is the kind of coach who thinks the best thing will happen. And in the end, for the Cardinals, it did.

And Larry Fitzgerald bailed his ass out to save the game. Arians should say, "It was all Larry. I had very little to do with it, in fact I nearly cost the team the game". But of course he didn't because he is a blowhard.