Bruce Arians: Female coaches could be hired in the NFL

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Definitely agree with you. College will have to be the first to break the barrier if it happens. They don't hire men straight out of high school, and I can't think of a single guy in recent memory who's been hired without any coaching experience. All of these guys have to earn their stripes in at least the college level beforehand.
Actually my old HS coach got hired by Cal Poly San Luis Obispo as their HC. If a woman is able to prove herself at the HS level, there may indeed be an opportunity in the college ranks. I'm not sold though that there is going to be a woman college HC as I don't even know of a single woman HS head coach. I'm not saying there aren't any out there but I would think I'd have heard about them.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
last time I checked, comments that demean an entire sex, race, religion, and/or orientation are against the rules on this site.
That would be true.

That being said, I always thought Arians looked a lot like Mrs. Doubtfire. Here's a shot when reporters were trying to get him to do an interview on the subject.

Last edited:

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_female_American_football_players#Semi-Professional

You're welcome. And your post deserved to be reported because last time I checked, comments that demean an entire sex, race, religion, and/or orientation are against the rules on this site.

It was meant to be a smartass comment, and not to be taken seriously, that's just my sense of humor.

And 5 woman that played a few games combined in the semi-pro little leagues does not exactly make an impressive list of players.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
It was meant to be a smartass comment, and not to be taken seriously, that's just my sense of humor.

And 5 woman that played a few games combined in the semi-pro little leagues does not exactly make an impressive list of players.

Then put it in blue font so that people know it's an attempt at humor. That's the difference between an attempt at humor and a truly sexist comment.

You said that females could never play in a men's league and never would. I gave you quite a few who did. Maybe not well, maybe not long, but they have played. And some of them played in an era where females in the United States were treated lower than dirt. They at least got to the semi-professional leagues. How many college players haven't even gotten that far?

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
Then put it in blue font so that people know it's an attempt at humor. That's the difference between an attempt at humor and a truly sexist comment.

You said that females could never play in a men's league and never would. I gave you quite a few who did. Maybe not well, maybe not long, but they have played. And some of them played in an era where females in the United States were treated lower than dirt. They at least got to the semi-professional leagues. How many college players haven't even gotten that far?

Again, 5 players that played maybe a game or two each is not "quite a few". I remember a story a couple years back of an arena league team letting a woman carry the ball once or something like that. And they only let her have that one carry out of pity. It's just not going to work.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
I have nothing against Females being apart of this game, whether it be coaching or officiating the game. I do expect them to be just as good as their male counterpart in that role and do not want subpar coaches being hired at all. Problem is, that there isn't much of an avenue for women. Past highschool they really can't play football in college with men, and there isn't enough interest to have a women's football league. So where are they going to get this experience? Perhaps the daughter of an already known coach that gets raised off football (since inner circles still matter in the coaching world, right Schotty?), but other than that there is no way to maintain that high a level of interest in football for women. There just aren't many open paths for a women to take to gain the role of coach in the NFL. I think it will be a long while before there becomes coaches. I think we are more likely to see a gay coach before we see a female coach. And I would not mind either, provided they were hired based off their talent.

Memento

Name
Jemma
I have nothing against Females being apart of this game, whether it be coaching or officiating the game. I do expect them to be just as good as their male counterpart in that role and do not want subpar coaches being hired at all. Problem is, that there isn't much of an avenue for women. Past highschool they really can't play football in college with men, and there isn't enough interest to have a women's football league. So where are they going to get this experience? Perhaps the daughter of an already known coach that gets raised off football (since inner circles still matter in the coaching world, right Schotty?), but other than that there is no way to maintain that high a level of interest in football for women. There just aren't many open paths for a women to take to gain the role of coach in the NFL. I think it will be a long while before there becomes coaches. I think we are more likely to see a gay coach before we see a female coach. And I would not mind either, provided they were hired based off their talent.

Exactly my thoughts. There aren't many avenues for women coaching, and they'd have to earn their stripes just the same as everyone else would. And they'd have to be worthy candidates who are just as good as the guys.

But there's a few who have played in college with men, and there is a woman's league. Maybe as a scout because there are quite a few female scouts who have worked in the NFL. I wouldn't be surprised to see a woman as a GM before a coach. But people should never say "never" to anything because they'll probably end up wrong. Myself included. It was only forty years ago that the very thought of playing a black quarterback was absurd, and the new face of the NFL is a black quarterback (regardless of if you like Russell Wilson or not, it is shifting from Peyton Manning/Tom Bitchy to him).

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
Exactly my thoughts. There aren't many avenues for women coaching, and they'd have to earn their stripes just the same as everyone else would. And they'd have to be worthy candidates who are just as good as the guys.

But there's a few who have played in college with men, and there is a woman's league. Maybe as a scout because there are quite a few female scouts who have worked in the NFL. I wouldn't be surprised to see a woman as a GM before a coach. But people should never say "never" to anything because they'll probably end up wrong. Myself included. It was only forty years ago that the very thought of playing a black quarterback was absurd, and the new face of the NFL is a black quarterback (regardless of if you like Russell Wilson or not, it is shifting from Peyton Manning/Tom Bitchy to him).
Scouts didn't even cross my mind. That's pretty cool. I also wasn't aware of a woman's league , just looked it up, seems pretty legit. Hopefully some women takes advantage of those things and can grow enough knowledge to really test all these coaches here in the NFL. A female GM does seem more likely to happen before and HC, but perhaps one day we will have both.

Memento

Name
Jemma
Actually my old HS coach got hired by Cal Poly San Luis Obispo as their HC. If a woman is able to prove herself at the HS level, there may indeed be an opportunity in the college ranks. I'm not sold though that there is going to be a woman college HC as I don't even know of a single woman HS head coach. I'm not saying there aren't any out there but I would think I'd have heard about them.

Meant the NFL. As for a female HS head coach:

http://espn.go.com/espnw/news-commentary/article/7269929/natalie-randolph-more-just-coach

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It doesn't seem likely that women will become NFL coaches anytime soon. Much more likely that women become NCAA Men's Basketball coach(s), followed by NBA coach barrier. ..Without a female version of the sport, with female's coaching them, how can an employer examine qualifications? It's true at College NCAA Foottball level, and the Pro football level (AFL, CFL,and NFL).Really, how can an NFL coach hire someone with no resume, nor any experience in playing the game at a high level?
If someone is hired without any comparable qualifications to other assistance coaches, is that fair?(male or female)

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
It doesn't seem likely that women will become NFL coaches anytime soon. Much more likely that women become NCAA Men's Basketball coach(s), followed by NBA coach barrier. ..Without a female version of the sport, with female's coaching them, how can an employer examine qualifications? It's true at College NCAA Foottball level, and the Pro football level (AFL, CFL,and NFL).Really, how can an NFL coach hire someone with no resume, nor any experience in playing the game at a high level?
If someone is hired without any comparable qualifications to other assistance coaches, is that fair?(male or female)

I agree, but what I see happening, is they will start demanding to get jobs in the NFL, even without experience, in some sort of twisted affirmative action for women.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
If a woman can marshall my Rams to the promised land, bring her on!

^ This^

Don't care about sexual gender, race or age, only about our team winning. Don't care if it's a little ten year old girl head coach who gets it done as long as we win.

Btw - there have been some off-the-wall comments made in this thread so let's back off on that. On the other hand I detest political correctness so let's also remember this is a football forum filled with men so lighten up a bit. This is supposed to be fun. :cool:

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Uhh who cares what he thinks? I revel the idea of whooping their sorry asses twice this season.

bluecoconuts

Legend
If they're qualified then they're qualified, that's that. I couldn't care less what color someone is, what they got under their clothes, or what they want to stick in their mouth, if they can do the job they're asked of then they should have a shot. End of story, not a big deal.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
^ This^

Don't care about sexual gender, race or age, only about our team winning. Don't care if it's a little ten year old girl head coach who gets it done as long as we win.

Btw - there have been some off-the-wall comments made in this thread so let's back off on that. On the other hand I detest political correctness so let's also remember this is a football forum filled with men so lighten up a bit. This is supposed to be fun. :cool:
This is where we need a mega-Like button. Absolutely.(y):cheers:

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Wait...

I thought the whiners just replaced Harblah with a woman. What's her name Tomisina?

And that fucking hat Bruce wears needs a propeller on top. That toad looks more like a cartoon character every time I see him.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Why wouldn't they be able to? If they're a good coach and motivator, the first time they walk into the locker room and say "Everybody, just shut the fuck up. I'm your coach. I have tits. Get the fuck over it, or you'll be doing Burpees until you shit yourself," they've established themselves as the coach, the boss, and not somebody to be trifled with.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
Why wouldn't they be able to? If they're a good coach and motivator, the first time they walk into the locker room and say "Everybody, just shut the freak up. I'm your coach. I have tits. Get the freak over it, or you'll be doing Burpees until you crap yourself," they've established themselves as the coach, the boss, and not somebody to be trifled with.

This made me chuckle although it could equally apply for some of the male coaches (the tits part I mean).